Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,934 posts
  • 326 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Nintegageo
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shithead 2 (resized).png
    Shithead (resized).png
    knowMore (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 2.25.24?PM (resized).jpeg
    baby-throw.gif
    Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 5.07.26?PM (resized).png
    Daffy (resized).png
    Jaws (resized).png
    freight-train-I_hpMain_20210516-232202_16x9_992 (resized).jpg
    B69D8F0A-C2F4-4F1F-8F2C-9AD0158AF291 (resized).jpeg
    C122F13D-9BDD-4F5A-82AF-675E5B376783 (resized).jpeg
    C61AE2A4-8E2B-4E6A-B3E7-6354F22FDFCF (resized).jpeg
    5C54F890-AFD3-4FE2-B181-A3B3C8AA29D0 (resized).jpeg
    6C326535-535C-4158-B707-CBB3853DE199 (resized).jpeg
    E7CA04FF-4FA8-4CD6-A61C-F30A41302C13 (resized).jpeg
    AC65C403-DDC6-46F7-869D-EF0884CE05C5 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,934 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 39.
    #1501 38 days ago

I think!

Quoted from o-din:

Four years later covid still seems like quite an excuse for a lot of what's been going on since then.

Some are hoping for a comeback!

#1502 38 days ago

Old collectable EMs and early SS...are holding their own. Every now and then you get a very motivated (or uninformed) seller that will offer a great super duper deal. Mostly thou prices are holding steady. i Have no interest in 90s DMDs or later...so i cant comment on that.

If your SUPER quick and or lucky you can snag that "deal" you cant pass up. My last 3 project pins were deals. i paid $1k for a Target AlphaEM, bally Freedom EM and a Bally SS StarTrek combined....Target A is in Excellent unrestored condition, The freedom is a major resto as is the Trek...but it included a brandnew Alltec MPU.

#1503 38 days ago

I hear all “toys” are seeing price drops (boats, tags, etc). No independent verification on that though

#1504 38 days ago

61 games added to pinside market in the last 25 hours for Sale/Trade.
    Seems like alot to me.

#1505 38 days ago
    Quoted from pevo:

Old collectable EMs and early SS...are holding their own. Every now and then you get a very motivated (or uninformed) seller that will offer a great super duper deal. Mostly thou prices are holding steady. i Have no interest in 90s DMDs or later...so i cant comment on that.
    If your SUPER quick and or lucky you can snag that "deal" you cant pass up. My last 3 project pins were deals. i paid $1k for a Target AlphaEM, bally Freedom EM and a Bally SS StarTrek combined....Target A is in Excellent unrestored condition, The freedom is a major resto as is the Trek...but it included a brandnew Alltec MPU.

Feel lucky your East of the Rockies, pins are still thin on the ground out West.
    There are multiple commen SS pins, I've never been able to track down a nice example of.
    I'm not buying a SS with roached playfields, I'm looking at you Gorgar/ Black Knight.

#1506 38 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Seems like alot to me.

I noticed that too. I check the Pinside market every day. Not long ago it was 30-40something on average. Lately it's been averaging 50-60something.

#1508 38 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Four years later covid still seems like quite an excuse for a lot of what's been going on since then.

It's almost like a global scale turning off of most industries had a catastrophic effect. Geez I wonder why there is still shockwaves felt from it.

#1509 38 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Seems like alot to me.

Doesn’t seem like much is moving either unless it’s a killer price. So many people still pricing things crazy high.

#1510 38 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

It's almost like a global scale turning off of most industries had a catastrophic effect. Geez I wonder why there is still shockwaves felt from it.

I do find it interesting how Disneyland in the next town over was closed for over a year and many small businesses here were shut down for good because that was just too long a time, yet Disney World reopened in only a few short months. Not that I wanted to go to either, but it does make me wonder. And how did a country like say Sweden handle it?

But that is all still over three years ago. And they've been saying it's the most jobs added and best economy ever for the last two of them.

#1511 38 days ago
    Quoted from tgarrett09:

Doesn’t seem like much is moving either unless it’s a killer price. So many people still pricing things crazy high.

Lot of folks aren't buying since they know prices are going down and able to work out crazy good deals. I wouldn't buy anything NIB right now, it just makes sense to wait for a deal.

#1512 38 days ago

Follow it very closely as I have been buying a lot. You get the outliers but a lot has to do with location. A one owner, HUO DP Pro for 5k? Great price but its deep in pinball country…can’t believe it hasn't been snagged but that speaks to all that is out there.

Look at pinside but also FB and the only things that move are projects, way below pinside avg or very unique cases.

Buyers market imo..,EXCEPT for minty versions and many of the cornerstone games.

#1513 37 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I do find it interesting how Disneyland in the next town over was closed for over a year and many small businesses here were shut down for good because that was just too long a time, yet Disney World reopened in only a few short months. Not that I wanted to go to either, but it does make me wonder. And how did a country like say Sweden handle it?
    But that is all still over three years ago. And they've been saying it's the most jobs added and best economy ever for the last two of them.

Dear leaders still wanted to take the Littles to see Mickey!

#1514 37 days ago

Mando premium for $5,000 damn!

#1515 37 days ago

why are all of you folks wishing for a pinball market price crash ? is it because you currently dont own any games and are hoping to buy your favorite title on the cheap ? are you hoping also for a housing market crash for the same reason ? Just loudly preaching the crash could cause it to happen .

#1516 37 days ago
    Quoted from Boxedbeef:

why are all of you folks wishing for a pinball market price crash ? is it because you currently dont own any games and are hoping to buy your favorite title on the cheap ? are you hoping also for a housing market crash for the same reason ? Just loudly preaching the crash could cause it to happen .

Let's face it, these are too expensive and should be cheaper. That's why. That means mine will also be devalued, but that's fine. They should be.

#1517 37 days ago
    Quoted from Boxedbeef:

I would like to get them as cheaply as possible.

Covid bubble has burst.

#1518 37 days ago
    Quoted from Boxedbeef:

Pretty much. Lower pinball prices mean less on the line when trading and buying, less flipper types in the hobby, we all get the games we want, not just people with lots of $.

Same with houses exactly.. We all want a nice affordable place to live for ourselves and our offspring. Something to reasonably be able to afford when you have full-time employment.

Once upon a time both of these were seen as liabilities on the books...

#1519 37 days ago

Time to sell before your machines before they are completely worthless. I'm offering pennies on the dollar for newer sterns, pm me. All joking aside, about 5 years ago before covid you could get newer stern pros for low 4000's. They jumped a couple of grand but are now on their way back down to more realistic prices. Most are at least.

#1520 37 days ago

Like 10 years ago I could reliably get EM’s for a couple hundred bucks. An early alpha-numeric SS for a grand. A DMD game for $2k-4k and it was only the cream of the crop, or a brand new game that would cost $5k or more

#1521 37 days ago
    Quoted from Boxedbeef:

Because why the fuck WOULDNT you want cheaper pinball machines??????

#1522 37 days ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Apparently his portfolio is lined with (formerly) high end pins. Bring on the cheap games. I buy them to flip the flippers and not flip for profit.

The supply has way outpaced demand. The market has spoken.

#1523 37 days ago
    Quoted from Boxedbeef:

???
    Like...
    CNBC breaking news... Pinball Collector Price Crash appears as a Leading Indicator in Looming Recession.

#1524 37 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

???
    Like...
    CNBC breaking news... Pinball Collector Price Crash appears as a Leading Indicator in Looming Recession.

The article a couple months ago did say that pinball machine owners are 1%s.

#1525 36 days ago

63 machines listed on Marketplace in the last 25 hours.

#1526 35 days ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I think we are close to a crash, being that distros are just sitting on games. Just sitting. Why? They cost too damn much. We all are the same group of guys and we are all running out of room and the patience to keep paying these (now) ludicrous prices.

Price is just one factor, but I think space is the main one. We’re all at max with games we enjoy. There’s a Weird Al LE for sale right near me for $7600. Almost half price of NIB. Normally, I’d prob go snag a “deal” like that…if anything just to try it out & some of the other game kits for a bit….but I don’t have a slot for it & still have a Pulp LE on order. If I sell something to make room, I’ll prob have to sell “low” as well…so, just makes sense to chill & enjoy what we have…good times for owners/buyers…Distribs must be frustrated. They’re competing with all the nicely priced used games.

#1527 35 days ago

63 more sale/trade games added to the Marketplace in the last 24 hours.

#1528 35 days ago
    Quoted from NPO:

The idea that suddenly pins will get cheaper with no negative is a bit far out there. All it means is companies are gonna get harsher on cutting corners and we are likely gonna see some companies forced to close up shop. Do we want to keep seeing how cheap and scaled back they make our pro sterns? Cause adding value for the money is not what is going to happen.

Yay old pins go down in price, neat, but it's gonna have a negative effect on new pins being made in the future

#1529 35 days ago

The first company to spring out with a single trim level packed pin coming in at a tick under 8 will clean house.

#1530 35 days ago

Go back to DMD, add a backglass and lettering only on the cab art. Boom!

#1531 35 days ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

The first company to spring out with a single trim level packed pin coming in at a tick under 8 will clean house.

Yeah cause that’s going to happen lol these companies aren’t competing to see who can pack the most/best features in for the cheapest prices.

#1532 35 days ago

Just out of curiosity, what does the typical royalty cost per machine for a celebrity title like Elton John, Kiss, John Wick, etc? I'm sure it varies for various celebrities but is it a significant contributor to the final cost of a game, does anyone know?

In ye olde pinball days, manufacturers didn't do so many celebrity machines. Monster Bash, so I have heard, was called that because Bally wouldn't or couldn't pay for the rights to the original Monster Mash. Most games had a generic rock and roll, outer space, or related theme. No royalties.

#1533 35 days ago
    Quoted from CincyPinballer:

Yeah cause that’s going to happen lol these companies aren’t competing to see who can pack the most/best features in for the cheapest prices.

If someone want to grab a big chunk they will. Never know.

#1534 35 days ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Your savior has arrived at $6994
    https://turnerpinball.com/games/

#1535 35 days ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Just out of curiosity, what does the typical royalty cost per machine for a celebrity title like Elton John, Kiss, John Wick, etc? I'm sure it varies for various celebrities but is it a significant contributor to the final cost of a game, does anyone know?
    In ye olde pinball days, manufacturers didn't do so many celebrity machines. Monster Bash, so I have heard, was called that because Bally wouldn't or couldn't pay for the rights to the original Monster Mash. Most games had a generic rock and roll, outer space, or related theme. No royalties.

Monster Bash was licensed from Universal Studios. The monsters are their IP.

The 80s and 90s were different times. Arcades were relevant & ops bought everything. Today theme sells. Home buyers buying nostalgic themes keeps factories churning. The price for a celeb theme is negligible considering the art/video/story/music assets & larger sales.

#1536 35 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Price is just one factor, but I think space is the main one.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg
    #1537 35 days ago

Space isn't the problem. Nor is the money.

Perhaps it's the half ass overpriced bullshit they keep serving up in bulk that is.

#1538 34 days ago

People treat pinball machines like gold . They are not gold .

In comparison to gold imagine paying 3/4 more for one once which is equal to what stern charges to what it really costs.
    The greed is real so I do want pinball crash . Lower the profit margin!!!

#1539 34 days ago

Despite what the Pinside investment firm repeats ad nauseum, there is a reason that traditional financial philosophy doesn’t recommend going heavy into pinball machines.

The pinball market goes up and down. No one wants to look beyond there last year or two when buying or selling. We had a price increase quite above normal followed by a correction of a similar magnitude. If you bought in really high, there may be a steep loss to get out of it. There is no penalty to hold and enjoy. If you are buying low on this market, consider yourself fortunate and enjoy it.

My preferred pattern of buying and selling 1-2 games a year is on hold. The games are selling too far below my preferred loss percentage so I’m holding and enjoying them. No pressure.

#1540 34 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

The idea that suddenly pins will get cheaper with no negative is a bit far out there. All it means is companies are gonna get harsher on cutting corners and we are likely gonna see some companies forced to close up shop. Do we want to keep seeing how cheap and scaled back they make our pro sterns? Cause adding value for the money is not what is going to happen.
    Yay old pins go down in price, neat, but it's gonna have a negative effect on new pins being made in the future

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Seriously, bummer for those thinking this would last forever. Maybe they could be realtors given the booming...oh...yep....that changed too!

As far as cutting corners, STOP buying and maybe, just maybe prices will fall. Ofc, that won't happen given people's incessant need to have the new "ooooo, shiney" super special 1 of a kind but not really snowflake in their collection.

#1541 34 days ago

depends on peoples cash flow.. called FU money in my world.. Im buying CE jjp'S AT 5000 UNDER WHAT OWNERS ORIGIONALLY PAID !!!!! i can live with that all day long as they are accepting it .. it is what it is at this point, nowhere to go but down further.. venom LE for 8000 ish ??? 4000 hit to sell now.. the distro's will start to crumble soon also unless stern and the others allow them to drop prices for the customers.. there is more falling to come except for the truly high end collector pieces.. just being honest here.. mark

#1542 34 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Spice; spice is the problem! You can only find it on Arrakis, and you need it to see the future of the pinball market.

#1543 34 days ago

He who controls the spice, controls the universe!

#1544 34 days ago

Using the Scientific Method, I believe it's the Overwhelming Gravity of my Black Hole, that I'm full up on game space... and unable to bring myself to sell a game.

Caught in a Singularity in Downey.

#1545 34 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

He who controls the spice, controls the universe!

I guess I need a Third Stage Guild Navigator to Escape my Garage.

#1546 34 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps it's the half ass overpriced bullshit they keep serving up in bulk that is.

Yep. People keep talking about space and price. It's *value*, at least for me.

I can't see me ever buying a JJP or Stern LE. And it has nothing to do with affordability or space.

Stern Pros at 7k is even a stretch for me, but I really liked FF so I bought one, but at least I got free delivery and no tax.

#1547 33 days ago

I find these two quotes below related and interesting. Gold has had value for 1,000s of years, mostly because "oh, shinny stuff". For me, pinball is more valuable than gold, because I value happiness and fun, and pinball helps provide that to me. I bought two NIB games last year, and was happy with the price to fun ratio at the time, so will have no regrets. If prices were lower for the same product/fun, of course I would buy more, but I'm not going to miss out on fun just waiting around for a chance prices might drop but quality/fun stay the same. Not when people in my life have died young, you never know, enjoy it while you can.

Quoted from PinFever:

People treat pinball machines like gold . They are not gold .

Quoted from NPO:

As far as cutting corners, STOP buying and maybe, just maybe prices will fall. Ofc, that won't happen given people's incessant need to have the new "ooooo, shiney" super special 1 of a kind but not really snowflake in their collection.

#1548 33 days ago

Im sure these guys are everywhere, but there is a flipper in my area that has bought up every single reasonably priced machine in the last several years only to double the price and list it the next day (after doing literally nothing to it). I lost out on several decent deals due to this guy. The best part of the dropping prices for me is seeing his numerous ads sitting week after week, despite him dropping the price. Makes me smile.

#1550 33 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Money isn't the problem. Then you say they are overpriced.... so money is the problem?

Everyone keeps trying to claim that one thing is the problem when it's clearly a whole bunch of factors.

There are 1,934 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 39.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.