(Topic ID: 297979)

The great Halloween abbreviation debate :)

By RC_like_the_cola

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“JCH or HWN or H78 ?”

• JCH 28 votes
    13%
  • HWN 164 votes
    77%
  • H78 20 votes
    9%

(212 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Nick-Castle-michael-myers (resized).jpg
A7790ACF-0B51-4D19-A71D-3205F1249112 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
4E7E8721-A810-453E-A032-156C4FF2D0C9 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
jct2 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210803-163017_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210803-163052_Chrome (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rc_like_the_cola.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

What say you, good people.

JCH or HWN or H78 ?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

It's not a debate. HWN is the abbreviation, period. Who in their right mind would possible think JCH is a valid option???

And I feel the exact opposite. I truly can't imagine anyone thinking HWN should even be considered. Someone took the first and last letter Halloween and through the W in for good measure? And Halloween is only one word of the three word title. JCH is clearly the abbreviation we should use, in my opinion.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Notice the thread title is not "The Great John Carpenter's Halloween Abbreviation Debate". I think the debate is over it's HWN or Halloween. Honestly this is one where I'm probably sticking with just spelling it out.

I didn't think it would fit. I definitely thought about that.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

If we really care about syllables that would suggest HLW.

HWN has clearly won, but I think it's the dumbest thing, no offense to those who like it. It's like referring to Mustang as MTG or Barracora as BCRA which are both equally as terrible.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yes, BUT...there is a Dracula pin that predates it so it got BSD. This is the first Halloween pin so HWN.

And we call the pin that predates it Dracula not DLA or DCLA by taking random letters out of the one word. That is why HWN seems so wrong to me. Just use Halloween we don't want to use the actual initials.

#51 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

No. They like H78 because they are horror movie fans. H78 is commonly used to clarify since there are three different movies in the franchise all simply named "Halloween". That isn't a problem for the pinball. Now if next year they give us one based on the Rob Zombie remake, then H78 would make sense.

Technically only 2 named Halloween, because the first is John Carpenter's Halloween.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's not, and it never has been. Just like Howard Hawks name isn't the title of his movies; "above the title."

Quick pic of the back of my Halloween collector's Blu ray set

20210803_181328 (resized).jpg20210803_181328 (resized).jpg
#70 2 years ago
Quoted from tp:

So now that your favorite was decimated by your peers, you wanna use something that you didnt even include in the poll? What's the words or acronym for that?

I've stated that many times in the other threads. Halloween isn't an abbreviation, so I didn't list it. I can add it if anyone wants to jump off of the HWN train. I could tell JCH wasn't gonna be the winner, but someone suggested putting up a poll, so I did.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I just want to say this thread has been very entertaining. We’ve been able to bust each other’s chops without anyone turning into an angry dick. Pinside rejoice!

Me too. Too bad my BSD to JCH analogy didn't convert enough HWN folks.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

None, I say it should be H. If you go by universal naming conventions, assign a letter per word. Entire name of the game is Halloween, so it becomes H. And since there no other games with those initials H makes logical sense too. A bit ironic how long a word Halloween is and how short the H abbreviation is. BTW - when you ask about Ultraman, my answer is going to be U.

LOL, don't even get me started on how Ultraman Kaiju Rumble should be UKR.

#114 2 years ago

The official abbreviation for Ultraman Kaiju Rumble!

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

When has it ever been about what people call a machine? Nobody says let's play "The Adams Family" or "The Walking Dead", or "Star Trek the Next Generation" etc. They say let's play Adams or Walking Dead or Next Gen. This was never a decision by committee, it's the pin's acronym. And when the acronym is already taken or the pin has a single word name, well then... shrug emoji lol!

To build on that. No one says let's play Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's usually, let's get a game going on Drac, but we all use BSD to refer to it when typing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
$ 49.99
$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rc_like_the_cola.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-great-halloween-abbreviation-debate-?tu=rc_like_the_cola and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.