(Topic ID: 76419)

The Goonies Pinball Project (Hollywood Heat Re-theme)

By mikeatsparkys

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 462 posts
  • 135 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rocketrob
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150428_113340_(resized).jpg
20150428_115304_(resized).jpg
20150428_115314_(resized).jpg
20150428_115523_(resized).jpg
20150428_124449_(resized).jpg
20150428_130346_(resized).jpg
20150428_160054_(resized).jpg
20150428_205552_(resized).jpg
20150428_115314_(resized).jpg
20150428_115304_(resized).jpg
20150428_113340_(resized).jpg
IMG_9841.JPG
1969402_10205825809788823_4415962358945066462_n.jpg
DSC04955.JPG
DSC04965.JPG
DSC04956.JPG
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
#351 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Damn bro, shits dope... I want one... You should sell "Goonies Kits" you would make a killing... put me on the list if that ever happens.

Haha, no kits. Sorry.

Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I love this theme and wish a manufacturer would pick up this title. Great job on your custom machine it looks great.

Me too! That's a NIB that I could get down with.

Quoted from Fifty:

Well done! Bravo to you sir!

Cheers man, thanks!

#352 9 years ago

Very Nice...

But, can we see someone actually playing it?

Thanks

#353 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Damn bro, shits dope... I want one... You should sell "Goonies Kits" you would make a killing... put me on the list if that ever happens.

Making money off of this pin would bring a completely different set of problems to Mike. Licensing would be the first one.

#354 9 years ago

Those characters are fantastic. All the detail and finishing touches look amazing. This is by far the most polished and well-done re-theme I've ever seen. Great job!

5172563152_35d541e010_z.jpg5172563152_35d541e010_z.jpg

#355 9 years ago

That looks great, I'm looking forward to seeing a full video!

#356 9 years ago

I have been following this thread with all the others on here....GOONIES is an amazing theme! That pic with you next to your superb retheme is EPIC Well deserved MAS

#357 9 years ago

Looks amazing. I can't wait to see the rest of it.

#358 9 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Making money off of this pin would bring a completely different set of problems to Mike. Licensing would be the first one.

Bingo. I'd like to keep this project listed under "fan art". Haha

#359 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Those characters are fantastic. All the detail and finishing touches look amazing. This is by far the most polished and well-done re-theme I've ever seen. Great job!

5172563152_35d541e010_z.jpg 17 KB

Hhaha, thank you very much.

#360 9 years ago

Well I guess I'll just settle for that sweet Miami Vice translite you sent me.....hahaha.

#361 9 years ago

By the way, I was bored 2 days ago and nothing was on TV so I watched Goonies because of this thread. I haven't seen it in years but it is still an absolute classic.

#363 9 years ago

Heighway Pinball are you reading this thread!!!!

#364 9 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Heighway Pinball are you reading this thread!!!!

It seems the license wouldn't be too difficult to obtain right now. I do a fair bit of licensing with my job. Either with shoe companies, bands, etc. I fully understand the process.

Rook (a streetwear clothing company) just did a collab with Goonies.

http://www.tillys.com/tillys/browse/Category-Men-Collections-Rook-x-The-Goonies/_/N-983

There was a recent release of action figures too. So, there's somebody out there selling the license to this movie.

#365 9 years ago

If that went through ALL the Hollywood Heats would be gone....

#366 9 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

If that went through ALL the Hollywood Heats would be gone....

Ha! Maybe so. I personally have always liked the Hollywood Heat theme but I'm clearly in the minority.

#367 9 years ago
Quoted from mikeatsparkys:

Ha! Maybe so. I personally have always liked the Hollywood Heat theme but I'm clearly in the minority.

Liked it so much you made a Goonies out of it…

#368 9 years ago

I believe he had two machines. One for the Goonies. One original. I'm hot on the trail of a hh and I plan to keep it stock

#369 9 years ago

Well outsode of the vice translite ..

#370 9 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I believe he had two machines. One for the Goonies. One original. I'm hot on the trail of a hh and I plan to keep it stock

Exactly right. I do still have a really nice original HH. The one I used for the Goonies was repainted and in pieces. So I didn't feel too bad.

#371 9 years ago

I agree that Hollywood Heat is a great game. I am not sure why people don't like it, it is pure 1980's cheezyness.

Congrats on your game, it looks outstanding! I am hoping it makes it to Expo one of these years.

--Scott

#373 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

In for more pics!!!

Soon, very soon.

#374 9 years ago

What about video of gameplay???

#375 9 years ago

Thanks for doing this thread. Congrats on making such a cool and great looking project. It should more accurately be called a working piece of art! I've been thinking about doing a re-theme for quite a while and reading this thread is giving me the inspiration to actually try it (maybe). I already have a few trashed playfields for potential candidates. I haven't decided which technique I'd use for the playfield art though.

Some different techniques I've though about include:

1) hand paint art directly onto the playfield then clear coat it

2) paint background color(s) on playfield then use multiple assorted water slide decals or stickers

3) paint playfield white then reverse print art on a clear mylar and stick it on playfield

4) paint white on areas of playfield with white art, print full playfield art on clear vinyl overlay,
stick printed overlay on playfield, then put on a playfield sized sheet of polycarbonate to protect

Looks like you with method 4? Was the final clear PC layer just peel and stick on top of the overlay? How did you handle non-flat areas of the playfield, like the trough or kick out hole. I'm assuming the kick out hole would slight edge from the PC overlay? Did you have to add anything to the edge to make a smooth transition or was the PC thin enough where its not an issue?

I and any other potential custom brew or re-themer's out there would love to hear you advice after doing this yourself.

Thanks

#376 9 years ago

What about video of gameplay???

I have been waiting and waiting and waiting...

#377 9 years ago

Awesome looking game

#378 9 years ago
Quoted from j69:

Awesome looking game

Yes but does it play?

#379 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I have been waiting and waiting and waiting...

Ha! Sorry for the delay. I got it back from the show and then went straight to a camping trip for Thanksgiving. I should be able to put together a gameplay video by the end of the weekend.

#380 9 years ago

Yes but does it play?

Quite well.

#381 9 years ago

Not sure if you've seen the new action figures but if you could get chunk in there hooked up doing the truffle shuffle. That would be awesome

#382 9 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Thanks for doing this thread. Congrats on making such a cool and great looking project. It should more accurately be called a working piece of art! I've been thinking about doing a re-theme for quite a while and reading this thread is giving me the inspiration to actually try it (maybe). I already have a few trashed playfields for potential candidates. I haven't decided which technique I'd use for the playfield art though.
Some different techniques I've though about include:
1) hand paint art directly onto the playfield then clear coat it
2) paint background color(s) on playfield then use multiple assorted water slide decals or stickers
3) paint playfield white then reverse print art on a clear mylar and stick it on playfield
4) paint white on areas of playfield with white art, print full playfield art on clear vinyl overlay,
stick printed overlay on playfield, then put on a playfield sized sheet of polycarbonate to protect
Looks like you with method 4? Was the final clear PC layer just peel and stick on top of the overlay? How did you handle non-flat areas of the playfield, like the trough or kick out hole. I'm assuming the kick out hole would slight edge from the PC overlay? Did you have to add anything to the edge to make a smooth transition or was the PC thin enough where its not an issue?
I and any other potential custom brew or re-themer's out there would love to hear you advice after doing this yourself.
Thanks

I did indeed go with #4. The PC layer is very thin. It basically just lays on top of the art and is then held down by the posts and/or any other hardware on the PF. This was a good option if I decide to change the playfield art at some point. Which is possible.

The PC layer was thin enough to not be an issue with the ball getting stuck. There is one spot over a rollover in the top left of the PF that I do need to make a little transition some how. A ball got stuck there during the show a few times.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Happy to help.

If you end up needing art printed for your project, I would highly recommend Rich at This Old Game. He was loads of help with my pin. He has a great eye for quality and can offer advice along the way.

#383 9 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Not sure if you've seen the new action figures but if you could get chunk in there hooked up doing the truffle shuffle. That would be awesome

I'm not a fan of the new ones. I used a couple of the Mezco toys that were made in 2007.

#384 9 years ago

Then how about a video? Like one person told me in another thread, without proof then it didn't happen..

#385 9 years ago

Ha! Sorry for the delay. I got it back from the show and then went straight to a camping trip for Thanksgiving. I should be able to put together a gameplay video by the end of the weekend.

GREAT!!!! Can't wait..

#386 9 years ago

Then how about a video? Like one person told me in another thread, without proof then it didn't happen..

I finished assembling it the night before bringing it to the show. Then once at the show, it wasn't the best place to do a gameplay video and have the quality that I would prefer.

Go it home and have only just unwrapped it, then off for a Thanksgiving camping trip, and now back home. Now I'll have some time to put together something of quality.

I didn't think I was doing a video to prove that it actually plays. I'd rather get a quality video to show features, art, callouts, and gameplay of course.

#387 9 years ago

And to be clear, I really do appreciate your excitement. I don't want to sound unappreciative.

#388 9 years ago

Ok, some gameplay video. I'll do some more of these as features are added.

#390 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

thanks for the update video

My pleasure.

#391 9 years ago

Also, how about some photos of the pf.

DSC04974.JPGDSC04974.JPG

DSC04978.JPGDSC04978.JPG

DSC04984.jpgDSC04984.jpg

DSC04966.JPGDSC04966.JPG

DSC04960.JPGDSC04960.JPG

DSC04957.JPGDSC04957.JPG

DSC04962.JPGDSC04962.JPG

DSC04956.JPGDSC04956.JPG

DSC04955.JPGDSC04955.JPG

DSC04965.JPGDSC04965.JPG

#392 9 years ago

I love the mama fratelli dropdown targets

#393 9 years ago

Such a classic movie from my childhood. You did an amazing job. Congrats man! This makes me want to pop the movie in.

#394 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I love the mama fratelli dropdown targets

Ha! Thanks! I wanted to get all 3 Fratellis on there but ran out of time before the show. I'll work on some new ones soon.

#395 9 years ago

And to be clear, I really do appreciate your excitement. I don't want to sound unappreciative.

No worries... I am not trying to be a dick either... Just want to see all you have talked about...

Thanks again...

#396 9 years ago

Love the new pictures!! Would love to see Sloth somewhere, superman shirt and all!!!

#397 9 years ago

machine looks-sounds-plays sooo nice, great job!

#398 9 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

machine looks-sounds-plays sooo nice, great job!

Thanks!

Love the new pictures!! Would love to see Sloth somewhere, superman shirt and all!!!

Yeah, Sloth isn't really represented on the pf at all. I'll need to work on that.

#399 9 years ago

Great work!

#400 9 years ago

Really cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-goonies-pinball-project-hollywood-heat-re-theme/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.