(Topic ID: 76419)

The Goonies Pinball Project (Hollywood Heat Re-theme)

By mikeatsparkys

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 462 posts
  • 135 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rocketrob
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150428_113340_(resized).jpg
20150428_115304_(resized).jpg
20150428_115314_(resized).jpg
20150428_115523_(resized).jpg
20150428_124449_(resized).jpg
20150428_130346_(resized).jpg
20150428_160054_(resized).jpg
20150428_205552_(resized).jpg
20150428_115314_(resized).jpg
20150428_115304_(resized).jpg
20150428_113340_(resized).jpg
IMG_9841.JPG
1969402_10205825809788823_4415962358945066462_n.jpg
DSC04955.JPG
DSC04965.JPG
DSC04956.JPG
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Great theme idea, and great starter pin. HH I a a great game with a crappy theme; perfect choice.
FYI. The red ramp in HH is the same as Tee'd Off. If you need a new one, just cut out the center over the bumper with a dremmel tool and drill a hole to mount it on the flamingo plastic post.
Or leave the center piece and mount a toy to it where the 5 balls mount to it in Teed off.

Thanks!

Surprisingly the ramp is in perfect shape.

#103 10 years ago

Another new video update highlighting a couple of the Goonies action figures that I've picked up on EBay. Some of the little accessories will totally work on the play field. Pinchers of peril, statue of david, etc.

#104 10 years ago

what if you lowered the PF and for the plunger you incorporate the BOOT from the gate opening scene kinda like rube goldberg GOONIE idea.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

what if you lowered the PF and for the plunger you incorporate the BOOT from the gate opening scene kinda like rube goldberg GOONIE idea.

That would be amazing!

#106 10 years ago

do you intend to use much of the existing layout, or are you going to change the layout somewhat?

#107 10 years ago

as long as you have the spacing (wires don't get too close to each other), I would lower the playfield. You'll have to fill in the existing plunger hole and drill a new one, but I think it will be worth it. It will also give you more spacing on the sides to do a cool cave mural sideboard decals.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

1) Bowling ball rolls down slight drop in railing to...
2) Bucket which pulls...
3) Rod which closes bellows..
4) Blowing up balloon...
5) Which is popped by pin...
6) Scaring rabbit who runs on treadmill....
7) Pulling boot which kicks football...
8) Onto paddle wheel...
9) Opening valve...
10)Allowing water pressure to turn sprinkler...
11)Which wraps up string to open gate!

#109 10 years ago

Would be awesome to see someone with some programming skill take the time to make that the skill shot. Regular skill shot to START the Rube Goldberg machine, then you have to hit a couple combo shots to complete it. Truffle Shuffle Super Skill Shot for completing the combos, complete with Truffle Shuffle animation!

#110 10 years ago

DMD animation of said events Chunk toy starts shaking a gate in front of ball shooter lane opens and auto launch starts the ball

#111 10 years ago

I will be watching this thread. Looks interesting

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from mikeatsparkys:

I whipped up a quick comp for the cab graphics. This was idea number one, just a simple but big logo on the side. I'm going to mock up one with a full graphic too. What are your thoughts on this? Don't mind the yellow legs and rails. Those may change.
http://gooniespinball.com/post/72862635209/cabinet-graphic-comp-1

Cabinet Right Side Comp1.jpg 35 KB

Don't change a thing. The yellow legs REALLY contrast well. Absolutely love this.

The playfield would look awesome with this as the art:

gooniesjan11.jpggooniesjan11.jpg

#113 10 years ago

thats on the head sides. I think the DVD/VHS artwork would look good on the PF if not the translite. Balanced shows most of the characters and any GOONIE would recognise it even with 1 eye

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

do you intend to use much of the existing layout, or are you going to change the layout somewhat?

Pretty much the same layout.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

thats on the head sides. I think the DVD/VHS artwork would look good on the PF if not the translite. Balanced shows most of the characters and any GOONIE would recognise it even with 1 eye

Yeah, I think I'll go with the DVD art for the back glass.

Playfield may be a treasure map. The plastics above the targets would incorporate more graphics based on the locations on the map. The upper play field would be the cave with the ship.

Locking the balls would signify the kids being captured by the Fratelis on the ship. When you hit the ramp to unlock multi ball, that would be Chunk and Sloth coming to the rescue to free them. (queue the music)

Well, that's my theory so far with the play field. I'm hoping to start working on it by this weekend.

#116 10 years ago

Are you going to include the giant octopus from the deleted scene after they walk the plank?

#117 10 years ago

How's the skeleton piano gonna be worked in? Those could be ball locks too (each mistake mapped to a lock capture)

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from RudeDogg1:

Are you going to include the giant octopus from the deleted scene after they walk the plank?

I don't have any plans with the octopus yet.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

How's the skeleton piano gonna be worked in? Those could be ball locks too (each mistake mapped to a lock capture)

Possibly. However, there's certain music that is very recognizable when Chunk and Sloth come to the rescue. this could easily be tied into the ramp when 2 balls are locked.

I could see the targets being piano keys and have those sound effects. That could be cool?

#120 10 years ago

Another video update. I did a test of the MP3 Trigger. Check it out! The tracks take 5-10 seconds to play. Something that will need to be addressed for sure.

#121 10 years ago

can you run more than 1 of those to have music and callouts seperate for less gap in the sound or even overlapping? Still cool. GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE but Mouth says "muerto"

#122 10 years ago

pretty sure you have empty lead-ins on your audio tracks. The moment the green light comes on, that indicates it's playing.

#123 10 years ago

I use these boards all the time building animatronics. Your sounds will start once you see the light come on. It will come on instant either by using the wheel or triggered switches. I am pretty sure you just need to update the drivers again. If you already updated them, just download them again and flash it. Sometimes things get corrupt during the move.

Also check to see if there is a delay on your original mp3 as stated above.

#124 10 years ago

One other thing then what I said above. Make sure you are using a 5v 1a power supply. This is probably making the audio wig out and crackle.

Buy some headers and connectors for this board because the pads lift very easy. Makes it so much easier to work with.

Kind of funny that all the sound and speech can come off a 4 inch square board to handle all the pinball sounds.

#125 10 years ago

COMPLETELY off topic, but your mustache is AMAZING!

That is all. +10 internets for you!

Chris

#126 10 years ago

The Fratelli chase scene music sounds like it is slowed down a little bit. Maybe the bitrate on the mp3s is too high?

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

The playfield would look awesome with this as the art:

Thanks for the sweet 80's Goonies poster idea. I just ordered it on Amazon for .93 cents(; Such a classic-I will have it framed and will go in my movie room(:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Goonies-Movie-Group-Poster/dp/B002SRN5RS/ref=sr_1_7

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

One other thing then what I said above. Make sure you are using a 5v 1a power supply. This is probably making the audio wig out and crackle.
Buy some headers and connectors for this board because the pads lift very easy. Makes it so much easier to work with.
Kind of funny that all the sound and speech can come off a 4 inch square board to handle all the pinball sounds.

Good note here for sure. I think that was a 9v power supply.

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

pretty sure you have empty lead-ins on your audio tracks. The moment the green light comes on, that indicates it's playing.

Yes, I'll check that too. Makes sense.

#130 10 years ago

Definitely enjoying watching this thing move along. Keep up the good work

#131 10 years ago

What a great idea!! I'm following this thread love the progress so far. By far this movie and the IJ films wore out my fathers vhs player as a child.

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from bjoechamp:

What a great idea!! I'm following this thread love the progress so far. By far this movie and the IJ films wore out my fathers vhs player as a child.

HA! Goonies and the IJ trilogy are my favorite movies of all time.

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Definitely enjoying watching this thing move along. Keep up the good work

Thanks! It's been fun.

#134 10 years ago

What sample and bit rate are you using for the MP3s? Since it is hardware decoded, you should look up what the ideal combination of those needs to be for clear and fast playback.

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from swedishc:

What sample and bit rate are you using for the MP3s? Since it is hardware decoded, you should look up what the ideal combination of those needs to be for clear and fast playback.

I have no idea but I guess I should find out. Thanks! I'm going to start trimming these down a bit too. I think they have a bit too much lead in to the tracks as well.

#136 10 years ago

I recommend using Adobe Audition for editing your audio. There is a free version located here:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads

While you are on that page, might as well get a copy of Photoshop CS2 since it is also free. I know you are using Pixelmator, but Photoshop is going to be a lot easier to work with when it comes time to send your art to the printer.

2 weeks later
#137 10 years ago

I'll have a new video update early next week. Right now I'm working on the following:

- Recording sound bites from the movie.
- Slow disassembling the donor cab.
- Taking metal bits to the powder coater next week.

#138 10 years ago

Another video update! Woohoo! This one explains how to get the audio from the DVD. Sounds simple enough and it turns out it is.

#139 10 years ago

explains how to get the audio from the DVD

Maybe I don't know macs, but on the PC I would just stick it in my drive, and use something like audacity to record the system stereo mix as it's running. You could also rip the DVD to something like MPEG-4, then strip out the audio track.

#140 10 years ago

on linux, rip with handbrake, open in like audacity or ardour? I had a much more convoluted process getting all the sounds + music + spoken voice out of skyrim for my pin.

so you have the timings down for the goonies stuff now, so no dead silence at start? was that the sound or issue with the mp3 trigger?

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

on linux, rip with handbrake, open in like audacity or ardour? I had a much more convoluted process getting all the sounds + music + spoken voice out of skyrim for my pin.
so you have the timings down for the goonies stuff now, so no dead silence at start? was that the sound or issue with the mp3 trigger?

I haven't gone back and tested that dead space yet on the Trigger. I still need to get a 5v wall wart to power them. I think that was causing the sound quality issues.

#142 10 years ago

I still need to get a 5v wall wart to power them. I think that was causing the sound quality issues

what are you powering it with now? in the last video you plugged something into it. When I first got mine I didn't have a wall wart either, so I actually tapped 5v off a usb cable and it worked ok (don't recommend it, I think the trigger draws more then 500mah and you can pop the usb driver chip in your computer)

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

what are you powering it with now? in the last video you plugged something into it. When I first got mine I didn't have a wall wart either, so I actually tapped 5v off a usb cable and it worked ok (don't recommend it, I think the trigger draws more then 500mah and you can pop the usb driver chip in your computer)

it was a 9v or 12v wall wart that I had laying around.

#144 10 years ago

Use Audacity in place of Garage Band. It's free and works great for things like this. Use it to import the audio files(s) from Handbrake that were converted from the original AC3 audio tracks on the DVD.

#145 10 years ago

I think you might be making more work for yourself with your method of ripping the audio. It is a lot easier to rip a .vob from the DVD with something like DVDRipper and use one of the many tools available online to extract a raw .wav and an uncompressed .avi of the entire movie. In Protools, Adobe Audition, Garage Band...etc, add the .avi as a video track and the .wav as the audio track. Watch through the movie in your audio program of choice and use the program's splice tool to cut out all of the clips from the .wav you want and dump each one to an individual .wav.

This will make the process much faster and will guarantee the best possible quality.

#146 10 years ago

Mad props for this man. Very pumped for you. Am curious if you wanted to do a dmd game how one would go about creating animations, etc...

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from swedishc:

I think you might be making more work for yourself with your method of ripping the audio. It is a lot easier to rip a .vob from the DVD with something like DVDRipper and use one of the many tools available online to extract a raw .wav and an uncompressed .avi of the entire movie. In Protools, Adobe Audition, Garage Band...etc, add the .avi as a video track and the .wav as the audio track. Watch through the movie in your audio program of choice and use the program's splice tool to cut out all of the clips from the .wav you want and dump each one to an individual .wav.
This will make the process much faster and will guarantee the best possible quality.

You could be right on that. I'll try something like this before I get too deep into the audio extraction.

#148 10 years ago

You could be right on that. I'll try something like this before I get too deep into the audio extraction.

And this is why I post my progress. Haha. I'm doing this to learn some new skills and create something that will hopefully turn out awesome.

Thanks to all of you for you input/feedback/cheers/etc.

#149 10 years ago

Just going to say, Great Project, Slothy jump rope hurry up mode?

#150 10 years ago

Easter egg?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-goonies-pinball-project-hollywood-heat-re-theme/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.