(Topic ID: 76419)

The Goonies Pinball Project (Hollywood Heat Re-theme)

By mikeatsparkys

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 462 posts
  • 135 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rocketrob
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150428_113340_(resized).jpg
20150428_115304_(resized).jpg
20150428_115314_(resized).jpg
20150428_115523_(resized).jpg
20150428_124449_(resized).jpg
20150428_130346_(resized).jpg
20150428_160054_(resized).jpg
20150428_205552_(resized).jpg
20150428_115314_(resized).jpg
20150428_115304_(resized).jpg
20150428_113340_(resized).jpg
IMG_9841.JPG
1969402_10205825809788823_4415962358945066462_n.jpg
DSC04955.JPG
DSC04965.JPG
DSC04956.JPG
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 10 years ago

I posted this up on the Village but I thought I would share with the larger Pinside crowd. There's a lot of knowledgable pinheads here that I'm sure I'll need some help from along the way. I'm going to document each step of this project whether I make the right steps or wrong ones.

http://gooniespinball.com

This is a tumblr blog, so feel free to follow me there too if you have a tumblr account. I'll be posting weekly video blogs, small daily updates, and my build list.

Here's the general concept of the re-theme. It's not very different from the Ghostbuster pin or the Evil Dead pin.
- Start with a Hollywood Heat. Perfect for me as I have a working one too. This will be a great reference point.
- New art on cab, play field, plastics, translite, etc.
- All new music, sound effects, and call outs via x2 MP3 Trigger V2s.
- Toys. Have to have toys.

Why Goonies? It is still my favorite movie of all time. It inspired adventure in me as a young boy and still does today. Such a good story and such a good cast of characters. With the sound track consisting of Cyndi Lauper, The Bangles, etc. and funny sound bites it can be a perfect theme for a pin.

Instead of spamming the forum with my updates, I'll leave the day to day stuff for the blog. If I hit some major milestones, I'll post those here. I'm open to suggestions of course too. Feel free to post here and I'll take all into consideration. I'm not pretending to be an expert, far from it, so feel free to give me your 2 cents.

#2 10 years ago

Awesome...love some Goonies. Looking forward to seeing the progress

#3 10 years ago

Nice. I'm a huge Goonies fan. Can't wait to watch it progress!

#4 10 years ago

I love the goonies! This should be cool!

#5 10 years ago

Add me to the Goonies fan club. This was always my go to movie when I stayed home sick from grade school.

#6 10 years ago

oh hey, i ran across your video the other day. Sorry, I didn't make it through the whole video. watching someone just sit there and talk loses my interest (I'm visual). I do love me some goonies though, went to the house they filmed at and the jail when I went to portland last year, and the 3 rocks where they line-up the skull to find the fortelli house. Astoria is really beautiful, but it sure was cold and cloudy like the movie depicted.
goonie_house.jpggoonie_house.jpg
goonie_jail.jpggoonie_jail.jpg
3_rocks.jpg3_rocks.jpg

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

oh hey, i ran across your video the other day. Sorry, I didn't make it through the whole video. watching someone just sit there and talk loses my interest (I'm visual). I do love me some goonies though, went to the house they filmed at and the jail when I went to portland last year, and the 3 rocks where they line-up the skull to find the fortelli house.

Yeah, that first one was long. Haha. I still appreciate you trying to watch it. Ha! I'm going to try and keep my future videos under 3 minutes and they will include some real info. The video for this week will be an introduction to the MP3 Trigger unless something else more interesting comes up.

Thanks all for the support! This will be a fun project and quite the learning experience.

#8 10 years ago

If I tell my wife someone is doing a Goonies she will freak out. She loves that movie. Good luck and keep us posted

#9 10 years ago

Toyotaboy those pics are great. You are even wearing a pinside shirt. Love it.

#10 10 years ago

.........and the last picture of the water...brings back Goonies memories for sure!

#11 10 years ago

The last picture is just the beach

Really like the idea of Goonies pinball. Not really sure I can get excited it is made from hollywood heat.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

The last picture is just the beach

But it is where the medallion links with the rocks in the water

#13 10 years ago

Awesome concept! Can't wait to see it.

#14 10 years ago

Why does every one re-theme hollywood heat?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Why does every one re-theme hollywood heat?

I can't speak for others that have done it but for me it was almost entirely because I have a good working HH to use as reference for troubleshooting. I feel more comfortable with it. Cost of entry with an HH is quite low and it's a fun pin to begin with, IMO.

#16 10 years ago

Sweet - huge Goonies fan! Make sure to include Truffle Shuffle Multiball!

#17 10 years ago

Just to let you know - an alternative to Photoshop is GIMP or GIMPshop. Both are opensource (ie. free). The later is more Photoshop friendly - meaning all the tricks and features in Photoshop should work; no need to learn new key combos!

#18 10 years ago

There better be a Truffle Shuffle wizard mode!

truffle.jpgtruffle.jpg

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from arpman:

Just to let you know - an alternative to Photoshop is GIMP or GIMPshop. Both are opensource (ie. free). The later is more Photoshop friendly - meaning all the tricks and features in Photoshop should work; no need to learn new key combos!

Thanks! I ended up buying Pixelmator from the Apple App Store. So far, it has been great.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Sweet - huge Goonies fan! Make sure to include Truffle Shuffle Multiball!

Ha! As of right now, I'm thinking the "Heat Bumper" will become the "Truffle Shuffle Bumper". Right now on HH, you get a Heat bumper bonus at the end of each ball. So, I think changing that to Truffle Shuffle bonus would be cool. Who knows, that could change as this project evolves.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

There better be a Truffle Shuffle wizard mode!

truffle.jpg 24 KB

I have this on my leg as well as some others

Goonies_Tattoos.jpgGoonies_Tattoos.jpg
#22 10 years ago

Great ideas can't wait to see it.

#23 10 years ago

Learn photoshop, don't try getting by with some other program that claims to be as good. Adobe is giving away cs2 for free:
http://gizmodo.com/5973730/grab-photoshop-and-cs2-for-absolutely-free-right-here

#24 10 years ago

This sounds like a great project. Perfect theme! Oddly enough, I had Goonies and Ghostbusters on the same VHS tape back in the 80's! Maybe some day we can get both games side-by-side. Let me know if you ever hit any snags I might be able to help with. Good luck!

Brian

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

This sounds like a great project. Perfect theme! Oddly enough, I had Goonies and Ghostbusters on the same VHS tape back in the 80's! Maybe some day we can get both games side-by-side. Let me know if you ever hit any snags I might be able to help with. Good luck!
Brian

Thanks! I'd love to get this next to your Ghostbuster. Your pin has given me inspiration for sure. I'd be curious to pick your brain on the MP3 Trigger setup. What components did you use? Mixer, power supply, etc. I'll probably start playing with the sounds very soon.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Learn photoshop, don't try getting by with some other program that claims to be as good. Adobe is giving away cs2 for free:
http://gizmodo.com/5973730/grab-photoshop-and-cs2-for-absolutely-free-right-here

Thanks for the info. So far I'm really happy with PM. It was recommended by our art director at work that has been using PS since it's inception. I think for my prosumer use, it should serve me well. I will take your advice and download CS2 for free and play with it.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from mikeatsparkys:

I have this on my leg as well as some others

That is just... wow.

#28 10 years ago

Should be interesting, any chance you are going to sell your Miami Vice translite since you are going to re-theme the HH?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

Should be interesting, any chance you are going to sell your Miami Vice translite since you are going to re-theme the HH?

Yeah, I may be able to part with a few things. I don't have my hands on the pin yet. I should have it by next weekend. I'll be sure to let you know about the translite once I get an inventory of parts together.

#30 10 years ago

First movie I seen in a theater, still my favorite of all time. I been saying it would make a great pinball theme. This is going to be EPIC!

#31 10 years ago

I'm a fat guy, and if goonies gets built, ill do a truffle shuffle on youtube, lol.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm a fat guy, and if goonies gets built, ill do a truffle shuffle on youtube, lol.

I'm going to hold you to that.

#33 10 years ago

I have to agree that a Goonies Pin would be pretty sweet.

#34 10 years ago

I'm going to hold you to that.

I'm a man of my word.

#35 10 years ago

maybe you could use sound samples from goonies or goonies 2 video games

#36 10 years ago

A Goonies pin would be just as amazing as a Ducktales pin. And wise choice doing it with Hollywood Heat. That way it doesn't cost rich stuff to make.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

maybe you could use sound samples from goonies or goonies 2 video games

That goddamn Goonies 2 video game pissed me off to no end and had absolutely nothing to do with the movie. Still a great game though, and cool music.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

A Goonies pin would be just as amazing as a Ducktales pin. And wise choice doing it with Hollywood Heat. That way it doesn't cost rich stuff to make.

Holy crap, Ducktales would be amazing! DT is in my top 5 NES games of all time.

Haha, I don't want this to cost rich stuff for sure. I'm actually keeping a live spreadsheet on my site that will document the parts and cost. Some people may find that interesting if they're thinking of doing a project. Hell, I'll be very curious to see what the final total is. Ha!

http://gooniespinball.com/thebuild

#39 10 years ago

Boonies never die!! Awesome project!

#40 10 years ago

Good stuff. Gonna follow your progress closely. I'm (extremely) new to the hobby and am hopefully picking up my first machine, tee'd off, later this month.

I like the game/theme a lot but hate the cabinet and translite. When I told some of my friends about how I was thinking about rebranding to either Tiger Woods Golf (big name, lots of different logos I could use, possibly even "TW presents...") or the Masters (fits existing color scheme) they thought I was crazy.

I would like to eventually think about some play field redesign but I think (for now) that is waaaaaay over my head.

#41 10 years ago

Must have Cyndi Lauper song! Or at least the NES Goonies 2 version! AWESOME idea for a re-theme. Can't wait to see progress!

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from PurpleTophat:

Must have Cyndi Lauper song! Or at least the NES Goonies 2 version! AWESOME idea for a re-theme. Can't wait to see progress!

Cyndi Lauper will definitely be played. The original score, by David Grusin, to the movie is excellent and is available for download on Amazon, iTunes, etc. I'll be including music from that as well.

#43 10 years ago

Yeah, I may be able to part with a few things. I don't have my hands on the pin yet. I should have it by next weekend. I'll be sure to let you know about the translite once I get an inventory of parts together.

Sounds good,

I will send you a PM with my email address, there are a few bits and pcs I am looking for on our hollywood heat.

#44 10 years ago

Thanks! I'd love to get this next to your Ghostbuster. Your pin has given me inspiration for sure. I'd be curious to pick your brain on the MP3 Trigger setup. What components did you use? Mixer, power supply, etc. I'll probably start playing with the sounds very soon.

This should give you lots of the details on how I did the audio if you haven't seen it before.

-Brian

#45 10 years ago

And I was just telling a friend how a Goonies pin would be absolute must-have for me.

#46 10 years ago

I like the mock up head graphics it looks so right

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

I like the mock up head graphics it looks so right

Cool, thanks! I think I'll stick with that direction for the head.

On another note, what do you all think about cabinet graphics? Is it worth the time and money to do a full on graphic covering the entire side of the cab or is this just going to be covered up in a row of pins and never be seen? Just curious what the Pinsider's opinion is on this.

#48 10 years ago

that ghostbusters pin is so sweet! i already love the FGordon layout and gameplay anyways. dude nice job!

#49 10 years ago

If you are going to go through all this work don't cheap out on the sides. If you are going to do it go all the way. It wouldn't look right with painted or HH sides on it.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

If you are going to go through all this work don't cheap out on the sides. If you are going to do it go all the way. It wouldn't look right with painted or HH sides on it.

Sorry, let me explain. I was thinking more like do I paint and do a large Goonies logo or do a full graphic on the cab. I think I would prefer the full graphic but curious how others value the cab art.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-goonies-pinball-project-hollywood-heat-re-theme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.