(Topic ID: 227336)

The good, bad & ugly of Delivery Services (pinball & arcade)

By ZNET

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Backbar (resized).jpg
    Fast eddie tarp (resized).jpg
    Fast eddie wrap (resized).jpg
    Fast eddie truck (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I've started this topic as a centralized source for reviews of pinball and arcade delivery services. Back in the 1990s and 2000s, if I couldn't make the drive to retrieve a game, I typically utilized the services of North American Van Lines/Specialized Transport Services (STI). Michelle Bianchi, agent, was the reliable contact. Michelle is still an excellent choice. Her contact information is below.

Michelle Bianchi
    Beltmann Integrated Logistics
    Addison IL 60101
    630-352-3312
    Toll Free 877-432-2646
    Toll Free 800-959-8880
    Cell six3zero-three4four-3zeronine3
    Fax 866-651-5919
    [email protected]

I have had STI deliver dozens of games since then, mostly without any problem. I attribute this good luck to the fact that my local STI subcontractor is excellent. The difficulty with STI is that the local truck on the pick-up end of the transaction may be less than adequate. Now for the good, bad and ugly with STI. The good is that STI includes insurance up to a set amount and that extra insurance can be purchased for a reasonable price. Also good is that STI will pick up a 2nd game at no additional cost. The delivery price coast to coast is currently in the $400 range and about $360 for shorter interstate deliveries. Another good aspect is that turn-around time is typically 5 to 10 days, not too shabby. The trucks are occupied by 2 men. A 3rd man can be requested, at an additional cost. The bad is that STI charges about $100 more to ascend or descend a staircase. Additionally, another "bad" is that STI does not service some of the remote, rural areas. Further, STI does not deliver on evenings or weekends so you'll need to make yourself available on about 24 hours notice to accept the delivery. STI discourages credit card payment (but, if you were to forget to have cash on hand, you likely could pay via credit card, especially if you're a regular customer). The ugly, for some, is trying to process an insurance claim. However, I had some minor damage to a game and no trouble obtaining reimbursement for the repair cost. Back in the middle or late 1990s, I also utilized a guy named Eric for deliveries. However, his business closed decades ago, as I recall.

Whenever possible, I try to utilize Bob Cunningham. Bob's cell is seven7two-fivezero1-two8eight3. Bob is extremely reliable and very friendly. He has a large box truck and he knows how to secure games safely. His experience derives from years in the billiards business. He resides in Florida and limits his deliveries to the Midwest and East Coast, as I recall. If you're lucky enough to need a game retrieved on or near his route, his turn-around time is good and his fee is in the $300 range or less for a more local delivery.

I can now add Eddie Cancelliere [a/k/a Fast Eddie---cell is five1eight-three6six-fourfive6nine of New York] to the list of reliable delivery options. Yesterday, Eddie picked up a game for me in the Midwest and delivered it to me in New Jersey. Eddie's game preparation is unsurpassed. His communication is also excellent. Although his vehicle has an open bed (Ford F-150), his wrapping is so unbelievably comprehensive, your game could withstand a snowstorm. Nevertheless, Eddie tracks weather reports to avoid inclement weather.

Below is a photo of Eddie and his vehicle. He can usually fit up to 6 games per trip, he states. I have also posted photos showing how Eddie wraps games. He shrink-wrapped my 1971 Bally Skyrocket, then multiple blanket wrapped it, then shrink-wrapped again, then waterproof tarp wrapped it, followed by more blankets and shrink-wrap. The seller advised that Eddie spent 90 minutes preparing my game for transport. Eddie once transported a $20K+ Zidware Magic Girl so you know that his reputation is solid. Like Bob Cunningham, Eddie will help you move a game up or down stairs and also help set up the game, if you desire. Eddie's geography seems to be in the Midwest and East Coast areas and his fee is also in the $300 or less range.

I hope that Pinsiders will add their experiences with various movers to this thread. Pinsiders with international delivery experience, and local delivery outside of the USA, could add to this thread as well. I know that I've seen such posts in other threads over the years. Perhaps this thread can serve to centralize such information.
    Fast eddie tarp (resized).jpgFast eddie tarp (resized).jpgFast eddie truck (resized).jpgFast eddie truck (resized).jpgFast eddie wrap (resized).jpgFast eddie wrap (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

I have the worst luck shipping ANYTHING through ANYONE. I've vowed to never ship anything again after UPS lost a Champion Pub NOS playfield that I built a wooden crate for and shipped it to Virginia but it never made it and it took 4 1/2 months to get this settled...UGH!! That was the last straw for me.

Anyways, other then shipping a Tshirt or two through USPS I'm done with it. It's just more trouble then it's worth. I'm glad I'm at the point where there's really nothing I'm looking for so I don't have to worry about how to get it here. Glad to see you had some good experiences to share but everyone from STI to Beltmann to UPS has all been a nightmare for me over the years and I'm done with all of them.

Best of luck,
    John

#3 5 years ago

I've shipped dozens of games...probably 50? Maybe more. Over 15 years.

ZERO issues. Usually with NAVL, a few times with Fast Eddie.

The Only time I've ever had a problem is a bent leg on an EM that was shipped on all 4 legs.

Backglasses I'm like 2-4, they almost always break. Will never ship a backglass again.

#4 5 years ago

Informative post but do these guys want their cell number publicly displayed? Easy for spambots to pick up

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Informative post but do these guys want their cell number publicly displayed? Easy for spambots to pick up

I previously inquired with Bob and Eddie about posting their respective cell phone numbers. Their profit derives from bundling deliveries. Consequently, they each encourage cellphone inquiries to identify their current routes.

Incidentally, Eddie is strictly old school: no texts. . .phone calls only.

Bob Cunningham does communicate via text messaging.

#6 5 years ago

Chris Fox of Sly Fox Shipping is FANTASTIC for pins up and down CA and parts of AZ and Nevada near the CA border. Area code is stockton (google it to throw the bots off) and the number is 403-8871. He usually can pick up and deliver within a week or two at the most from when you contact him since he's doing runs almost every week. I've done multiple pins with him, shipping and receiving and it worked out great and around half the cost of commercial services.

#7 5 years ago

It is better form to spell out numbers to throw off spam bots. So 123-456-7890 can be written: 123-four five six - 7890. I think the post should be modified.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

It is better form to spell out numbers to throw off spam bots. So 123-456-7890 can be written: 123-four five six - 7890. I think the post should be modified.

Cell numbers have been disguised in the original post.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I have the worst luck shipping ANYTHING through ANYONE. I've vowed to never ship anything again after UPS lost a Champion Pub NOS playfield that I built a wooden crate for and shipped it to Virginia but it never made it and it took 4 1/2 months to get this settled...UGH!! That was the last straw for me.
    Anyways, other then shipping a Tshirt or two through USPS I'm done with it. It's just more trouble then it's worth. I'm glad I'm at the point where there's really nothing I'm looking for so I don't have to worry about how to get it here. Glad to see you had some good experiences to share but everyone from STI to Beltmann to UPS has all been a nightmare for me over the years and I'm done with all of them.
    Best of luck,
    John

Boy that is such a shame. Sorry to hear shipping hasn't worked for you.

3 weeks later
    #10 5 years ago

I’m getting my first pin picked up today from Virginia and delivered to Houston. I used Beltmann for this and I’m a little concerned how long it takes for the delivery? I booked the pick up on October 30 and didn’t pick up till today? Is that normal for it to take 7 business days? Next question:How long shouldn’t it take to be delivered?

#11 5 years ago

Since you are in a populated city (Houston), I estimate delivery no later than next Friday (7 days) and more likely by Wednesday or Thursday. Let us know about your experience upon delivery.

The lag time for pick up depends upon several factors, especially whether the pick up location is metropolitan or in a remote, rural location. Typically, pick up takes closer to 3 -5 days.

Quoted from bobzilla:

I’m getting my first pin picked up today from Virginia and delivered to Houston. I used Beltmann for this and I’m a little concerned how long it takes for the delivery? I booked the pick up on October 30 and didn’t pick up till today? Is that normal for it to take 7 business days? Next question:How long shouldn’t it take to be delivered?

#12 5 years ago

+1 for Chris Fox! Easy to work with!

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lmjdad:

+1 for Chris Fox! Easy to work with!

Please post Chris Fox's contact information and his region, plus any other details you wish to share. When listing his phone number, spell out some digits to avert bots.

I, for one, am not familiar with Chris's service. I suspect that others on this forum would like to know how to reach him.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Please post Chris Fox's contact information and his region, plus any other details you wish to share. When listing his phone number, spell out some digits to avert bots.
    I, for one, am not familiar with Chris's service. I suspect that others on this forum would like to know how to reach him.

I already posted this in post #6 of this thread.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I already posted this in post #6 of this thread.

I see it now. Thanks.

#16 5 years ago

I just had a game shipped sti/navl, Phoenix to upstate NY. Delivery was in less than 2 weeks. If you have your KN number, this site is a nice tool to track the shipment:

https://extranet.spectransinc.com/BOSShipmentTracking/BOSShipTrack.aspx

The game made it here with absolutely no damage, but I was extremely nervous the entire time.

Quoted from bobzilla:

#17 5 years ago

Does anyone remember the good old days when Randy Buffalo was an option for your pinball/arcade shipping needs?

#18 5 years ago

I remember Jackrabbit too. Back in the day...

8 months later
    #19 4 years ago

Great experience getting a game delivered from Philly area to me in Canton, Ohio. Dan Scott from SSMTransport... he can be reached at 864-903-1324 or PM'd here on Pinside.

2 months later
    #20 4 years ago

I had a great experience with Bob Cunningham delivering a pin from NC to the Buffalo NY area. Delivery and pickup may take a while depending on where his guys are, but if you're not in a rush, he's perfect for the job.

4 months later
    #21 4 years ago

I have something much larger than a pin I'd like delivered from Myrtle Beach to Edgerton, Wi. What are my best shipping options. I did send Bob Cunningham an email but this might be outside regular services.

1 week later
    #22 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I have something much larger than a pin I'd like delivered from Myrtle Beach to Edgerton, Wi. What are my best shipping options. I did send Bob Cunningham an email but this might be outside regular services.

Bob previously dealt with pool tables and he currently moves jukeboxes and other large items.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Quoted from ZNET:

Bob previously dealt with pool tables and he currently moves jukeboxes and other large items.

Michelle Bianchi and Bob Cunningham are my "go-to" shippers

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Yellow Roadway Corporation/YRC Worldwide. They haul Less Than Truckload freight. It should be crated on pallets and on a loading dock but they can pick up at street level.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

The item was the antique backbar shown below. Very heavy.

Bob was very nice but declined as he is doing this by himself. STI wanted over $2K and wouldn't insure it. So we said screw it, rented a van and drove the 1000 miles down to pick it up. Sometimes you just have to rely on yourself.

Backbar (resized).jpgBackbar (resized).jpg
    #26 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

The item was the antique backbar shown below. Very heavy.
    Bob was very nice but declined as he is doing this by himself. STI wanted over $2K and wouldn't insure it. So we said screw it, rented a van and drove the 1000 miles down to pick it up. Sometimes you just have to rely on yourself.[quoted image]

I agree 100%.

I’ve done two such pick-up trips in my life, the first one back in 1997 and second one just this past November. Both were solo trips. And both were to pick up pins that were very very very near mint. It was totally worth it for the peace of mind. Oddly enough, neither trip seemed like “work” or even an inconvenience to me despite the pair of 2,000-mile round trips once I actually hit the road and was on my way. Rather, it felt more like I was taking a leisurely roadtrip to visit a friend. Maybe that feeling was just reaffirming that relying on myself was the right decision.

For my recent November trip, I rented a pre-vetted pinball-friendly SUV from Enterprise. The weekly rate (at ~ $275) was better than for the actual 5 days of the trip, so I booked it. On pickup day they were unexpectedly out of all SUVs, so they upgraded me to a minivan at no cost (typically would have cost ~ $200 more.) I did the trip in 5 days: 2 days down, stayed one day in the area, then picked up the game early AM and drove 2 days back. Not only was there plenty of time to unload when I was back home, I got enjoy and use the minivan for 2 more days.

If I ever have another such pick up, I will not hesitate to do it myself.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-good-bad-amp-ugly-of-delivery-services-pinball-amp-arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.