By Ebirah

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 12.19.57 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 12.19.47 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 12.19.35 PM (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

If distributor updates are to be believed that mid-April is the next reveal from Stern, and increasing buzz of a potential Elwin/Yeti Godzilla pin is more than wishful thinking, here are some elements I am hoping make it into the final design.

Toys, Mechs & Animations
    The obvious must-have component is a well-sculpted Godzilla in 3D form, preferably full-figure or possibly waist-up if it allows for greater detail. I wouldn’t think the game designers would opt for a Sega-esque approach and feature a large head and arms reaching up from the playfield, although it is a dramatic effect. The confirmed Toho license offers interesting variability with regards to the design, and I am partial to either Godzilla 2000, or a hybrid look from the Heisei era (1984-1995). I recall a recent podcast in which Keith mentioned his next game will feature the now expected third flipper, but that it will “do something unique.” Another podcaster suggested it could potentially be an extension of Godzilla’s tail, which is an interesting concept. With regards to the inclusion of other Kaiju, my speculation is enemies will most likely appear only in LCD animations, to allow for a diverse lineup.

Art
    The game needs to be set in Japan, featuring Tokyo and the surrounding rural landscape, including the Pacific Ocean from which Godzilla originates, detailed across the playfield. The art should depict destruction, including crushed buildings, civilian and military vehicles. Near the Godzilla sculpt there should be a 3D skyline featuring a few damaged buildings, and in another section, a Japanese temple. For the cabinet and translite/backglass, Jeremy’s 2018 sketch posted to his Facebook page is amazing, and perfectly captures Godzilla in full form. Simulating the style of a traditional Japanese woodblock print would give the art package a unique aesthetic, incorporating a color palette of black, red and blue shading.

Sound
    Godzilla is a pin that will rely heavily on sound fx to create the appropriate ambience. Jerry Thompson needs to utilize the iconic theme music and sounds, most notably Godzilla’s roar. Military engagement must be prevalent throughout the gameplay, highlighted by the thundering passes of fighter jets and thump of helicopter rotors moving between speakers. Other important audio includes air raid sirens, and panicked civilians yelling in Japanese (Ryan C. was recently on Jessy Jay’s podcast and brought up a great point as to whether or not this would be considered culturally insensitive in today’s climate. Let’s hope not.).

Rules & Code
    There would seem to be only two options for the storyline: play as the humans, or play as Godzilla, and I definitely favor the latter. As the Toho version of Godzilla regards the creature as a force of nature that comes ashore randomly to feed off mainland Japan energy sources, this narrative could factor perfectly into rules and coding. Godzilla’s approach could suddenly cause sections of the playfield to go dark with power outages, leaving only intermittent, strobing white LEDs, while the thudding impacts of the creature’s advancement on the city would make for an awesome use of the shaker motor. If playing as the human population, there could be an ability to re-build the quickly depleting government infrastructure and military surplus by making certain shot combos, or through hurry-up modes, much like replenishing fuel in Escape Nublar. A final element to complete the experience would be a wizard-mode featuring the Blue Oyster Cult song of the same name, and I would think the rights would be well within Stern’s fiscal ability to acquire.

As with any new pin speculation there is always a blue-sky mindset that unconsciously develops. I intentionally attempted to temper my expectations and envision a more conservative creation. My hope is for a design that is closer in execution to Jurassic Park, as Godzilla represents a theme integration that demands physical and visual elements to sell the story and engage the player, all supported by solid code. At the end of the day, if Godzilla is actually coming ashore in the months ahead, then I most look forward to a pin with gameplay that is challenging and a lot of fun.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 12.19.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-03-07 at 12.19.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-03-07 at 12.19.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-03-07 at 12.19.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-03-07 at 12.19.57 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-03-07 at 12.19.57 PM (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-godzilla-prediction-network and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.