• The getaway 66 votes
    67%
  • Revenge from mars 33 votes
    33%

(99 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2A8F5B28-44DC-4E72-9475-3FB4403874D3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tommy-dog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago

I have owned both. Getaway is the better game, classic Steve Ritchie game. Add the sensational PinSound board to Getaway and it is even better. Plus Getaway is a 'real' pinball machine and not a hybrid video/pin game.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

.... (RFM) guests will enjoy it much more.

I only find this true with non-pinball people. Die-hard pinball collectors really don't consider RFM/SWEP1 (Pinball 2000) a typical pinball machine. When I had both games in my collection, my party guest who were not pinball collectors really did love it.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

.. There’s no “video game” in RFM.

I never called RFM a "video game". I called it a hybrid.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

... propaganda from operators who feared P2K was going to be another Baby Pac-Man, Granny & the Gators, or Caveman - those were hybrids that flopped.

Pinball 2000 did flop. Williams went out of business. If it was so great and Williams felt that it would have saved them, they would have tried making more titles. Pinball 2000 was 20 years ago. If a hybrid game like a Pin2000 was so great why did Stern not continue the idea?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

.... real pinball players don't really care aboot playing HS2 for the 9 millionth time anyway

I would think that any pinball player would not like to play ANY pinball machine for the '9 millionth time'. Any title gets old. That is why most collectors have more than one game. Some games are good in a larger collection of games. Games like RFM, SWEP1, Safecracker, etc are good games to have in a large collection of games.

#21 4 years ago

Quoted from Tommy-dog: If a hybrid game like a Pin2000 was so great why did Stern not continue the idea?

Quoted from TheLaw:

Because making slot machines got them 100X more.

Stern makes slot machines? I learn something new everyday. I need to get to Vegas more often.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

.. Stern had nothing to do with it (Pinball 2000) or the ideas or tech so that argument doesn't really make sense.

Williams RFM: George Gomez

Stern Pinball: George Gomez, VP of game development for 8 years.

If Gomez felt a Pinball 2000 game was so great, he would push Stern in that direction.

#33 4 years ago

Pinball 2000 platform, released in January of 1999. It took the pinball industry by storm, the biggest innovation in pinball since it went to digital scoring in the late 70’s. Instead of shooting at the usual targets, video targets were now ‘displayed’ on the playfield. This led to some very cool effects, as instead of just hitting the lit arrow and getting a flash and sound effect, the target would now explode or do some other cool animation. New players in particular were really impressed with the new gameplay, while more traditional players weren’t as enthused by the new changes, feeling it wasn’t ‘real’ pinball. Operators really liked it though because the games brought in more money that the previous games Williams had released, plus had a lot of things that made operating easier like swappable playfields and in depth diagnostics.

The general consensus on RFM (acronym for Revenge from Mars) is that it was a great initial game for the Pinball 2000 platform but as good of a game as some of Williams earlier efforts (at least in the eyes of pinball fans). New players really liked the video integration though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 72.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Trade
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tommy-dog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-getaway-vs-revenge-from-mars?tu=tommy-dog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.