Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TheBigShow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

What are your thoughts on the play on both, which do you like better, and what is the value of average decent games?

#2 10 years ago

Both are great games. I had a HS2 for two years,and I have my FT still.
HS2 Is macho cool, but a tad short on layers.FT is just plain fun , non pinheads
and the family love it.HS2 =1800 FT= 1800

#3 10 years ago

I'd take the HS2.....I'm a car guy remember.

#4 10 years ago

I like both but would grab a fish tales, awesome game with got flow and is fun........if you can get both cheap enough then go both, if not fish tales would be the pick.

#5 10 years ago

Any other opinions?

#6 10 years ago

I have and love both games. Both themes are great I like the art work on FT is a little bit better. The supercharger is bad ass. It's such a rush catching a fish and hitting the stretch the truth spinner. Flow on HS2 is smoother. It's a toss up get the game that's in better condition because both a great.

#7 10 years ago

I think both are solid "B" games. I've owned HS2. Never owned FT but played it quite a bit. I would give the nod to FT. Just better shots, less time wasted in the Supercharger. A better video mode. The ZZ Top in HS2 is cool, but gets old quickly. On a 10 scale, I would give HS2 about a 6-6.5. I would give FT about a 7-7.5. Just my 2 cents.

#8 10 years ago

Both great games! You can't go wrong. I have both currently. I had a Fish Tales, traded it, and had to buy one back almost immediately. Getaway is a permanent keeper unless I let it go to make room/cash for a restored one.

I personally prefer The Getaway; I think it's a bit easier, and the theme really does it for me. That said, Fish Tales has the brighter and better artwork, and the fish topper is pretty awesome. But, again, both are great games, and I'd recommend both.

As far as price goes, they can vary a fair bit based on condition. Beat games may go as low as $1800, nice normal ones aound $2000-2200, and top-notch CQ, or restored ones can go for a fair bit more.

#9 10 years ago

I much prefer FT. I just got one and consider it an excellent bang for the buck. Great flow, fun shots, great video mode, good artwork. Mark Ritchie is underrated. All in all, very deservedly in the top 30-40 all time.

#10 10 years ago

FT > HS2, both great games.

#11 10 years ago

I would suggest that you consider if the theme matters to you. They both have shortcomings. Getaway has a cool driving theme, but some people may find the ZZ Top music to be irritating after a while. Fish Tales is, well, it's about fishing?! The dull premise aside, it manages to execute the fishing theme in a very creative and whimsical manner, making it fun even if you don't like fishing.

Depth of High Speed 2 is definitely lacking. It will not take long before you see everything the game has to offer. Fish Tales, meanwhile, will take much longer to finish.

Shot wise, look at a few YouTube videos. Fish Tales has more toys, like the totally cool ball lock that looks like a fishing rod and generally more ramps/habitrails. A demerit on Fish Tales is the pop bumper area, which loses to High Speed 2 which has some of the most intense pop bumper action I have seen in a game. High Speed 2 has great flow but only a single ramp.

Finally, they both have attention grabbing toppers. I know this won't make or break your decision, but I find it interesting that you are picking between two machines that have excellent toppers!

#12 10 years ago

The Getaway is much better IMO. The theme is much better, the game flows better, and the supercharger is just awesome. I think FT is ok, just lacks for me as far as theme goes.

#13 10 years ago

This is an excellent question. I have a High Speed and LOVE it. I would probably want a HS2 just for cool factor. I think either one would be fun for non-pinheads. But, if I stopped and thought about it, I'd go with FT for a lot of the reasons listed above. Maybe not as cool of a theme but lots of great shots and a ton of replay value. Plus, as much I like ZZ Top, La Grange get old after a while.

#14 10 years ago

I own both and think they are both incredible games. Very different in game play. They are keepers for me in my collection. I would think they are similar in price/condition ($1500-$2500), depending on condition. Both games can be prone to cabinet fade... especially FT. I would buy either that came available... then buy the other when it comes up too.

#15 10 years ago

I have owned both and I would go with HS2. Getaway is a much more cool theme, while FT is more lighthearted. It's all in what you're looking for though. They're both great games.

Get both!

Derek

#16 10 years ago

I had FT and it went well w/ WH20. Once WH20 left for funds I had to get rid of FT. I have kept HSII b/c it is fast and great for a quick pickup game (Especially w/ the topper and Black Rose MOD). I like open playfield and FT is not one of them. I also find 3 flipper games w/ more adrenaline and FT is not one of them. Both are low 2K games. If your going w/ a one collection home HSII, but If you have a few games already FT. FT is kinda like CPub to me because of the non-open playfield, cool toys and beautiful art.

#17 10 years ago

I'm a car guy and own both machines but find Fish Tales a way better machine. I think it is the upper flipper in HS2 that turns me off the machine. Any how both are great machines and are easily resold.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 169.00
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 72.50
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-getaway-vs-fish-tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.