The Getaway switch issues

By jmountjoy111

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have searched the forum over and couldn't find anything about this issue. I picked this game up with some minor issues (needed a flipper coil, trough switches, completely cleaned and everything needed adjusted) and am just about to have it completed but I am struggling with the following issues and was hoping one of you could let me in on what's wrong.

When the ball is fired from the shooter coil into the playfield it automatically triggers the tunnel switch (that would give awards bonus or start the video mode). The switch for the tunnel is new but it also did it with the old one. What in the world would cause that?

#2 9 years ago

Throw the game into Switch Edge Test and test those switches.

Do they register as the correct switch?

RM

#3 9 years ago

Yes, I meant to write that but it was too early in the morning haha, the switches test as correct in switch edge test. Switch 77 eject hole and 78 shooter.

#4 9 years ago

Sounds like a wrong connected wire in the switch matrix to me .
Check all switches for wrong soldered wires and start with standup targets .
White goes always at the oposite side of the diode . Green in the middle no direct connection to
the diode .

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Sounds like a wrong connected wire in the switch matrix to me .Check all switches for wrong soldered wires and start with standup targets .White goes always at the oposite side of the diode . Green in the middle no direct connection tothe diode .

If they are wired wrong would they still check correctly in the switch edge check?

#6 9 years ago

How about the shifter switches?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Venom_249:

How about the shifter switches?

I will check those when I get home today. I am going to check and see if it happens when the rollover switch is depressed or when the shifter actually fires the ball. I am not 100% sure which one it is but I am thinking it is when the shifter fires

#8 9 years ago

I just checked the shifter switches in switch edge test. They check as switch 33 and 34 respectively.

However, the shooter switch (78) will sometimes check as 78 and sometimes it will check as 76 (bottom ball lock).

If I manually trigger the bottom ball lock switch 76 then it will read as shooter switch 78 but eventually goes back to checking as switch 76.

The eject hole always checks as switch 77 which is correct according to the matrix diagram.

I think it is possessed.

#9 9 years ago

You have a switch matrix problem - one (or more) switch registering as the incorrect switch.

That means a wire is on the wrong lug, the diode is missing or broken, or the diode is soldered in backwards.

Something like that is probably the cause.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Switch_Problems

RM

#10 9 years ago

What would cause that one switch to intermittently read wrong.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

What would cause that one switch to intermittently read wrong.

Whether one of the other switches was open or closed can do that.

Also a cracked solder joint making intermittent contact.

It has to do with how the switch matrix works.

RM

#12 9 years ago

I will check that then. I could have a bad solder joint on one for sure.

Also, I just had that ramp off that holds the lock switches when I cleaned the playfield and put new rubbers on. I could have damaged that switch so I will check it as well.

#13 9 years ago

I checked the solder and the wires on the switches in question and they looked good.

I went through the switch edge checks and everything checked as correct. I went through it several times in between games to make sure and they always checked correctly.

I played it for about an hour and every time the shooter fired it also triggered the eject switch that lights video and gives awards bonuses.

I just got this game and it has had the mpu replaced with a rottendog board. I am not familiar with these boards. Are there maybe some kind of adjustments that would need to be made due to the replaced board? Probably not but worth a shot.

#14 9 years ago

It's not the RD board.
As Russ mentioned, the game switch wiring has a problem.
Check the wiring on every switch in column 7, then rows 6, 7, and 8.
You might find a switch wired backwards or a diode lead touching a switch solder lug.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

It's not the RD board.
As Russ mentioned, the game switch wiring has a problem.
Check the wiring on every switch in column 7, then rows 6, 7, and 8.
You might find a switch wired backwards or a diode lead touching a switch solder lug.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

I didn't figure it was the board but I was not familiar enough with them to know if any adjustments needed to be made. I will start going down the line on the matrix tomorrow night and then work my way across each row. I've pretty much got the game lined out aside from these last few switch issue and I am getting antsy to play it when it's all running properly.

Thanks for the help as always.

#16 9 years ago

so.... I have checked the wires on the switches in question and replaced several diodes.

No switches in row 7 were working when I was working on it. I unplugged the connector and plugged it back in and all switches are apparently working fine.

An ignorant question though:

I have not played this game much outside of this machine. When you hit the start button and the ball loads out of the trough into the shooter lane it automatically shoots the ball into the playfield. It will do this every time a ball is loaded into the shooter lane unless a ball is locked into the ball lock ramp.

Anyways, when the ball is shot out automatically it triggers the eject hole switch. When a ball is locked in the ball lock ramp and you have to manually launch the ball it does not trigger the eject switch.

Maybe the game is not supposed to automatically launch the ball and that is part of the problem??

#17 9 years ago

You should be shifting to launch the ball not auto.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Venom_249:

You should be shifting to launch the ball not auto.

I was starting the think that after noticing that the eject hole would lite when it automatically shifted to launch. Anyone out there know what would cause that?

#19 9 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts?

Getaway automatic shoots ball after launched onto shooter lane. Everytime ball automatically shoots it triggers the eject switch

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 72.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Trade
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-getaway-switch-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.