image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Batt_hold_4xAA_w_jmp_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 8 years ago

Hello,

My Getaway keeps reseting to factory settings everytime I turn the machine on. The battery holder is not mounted on the board. I replaced the batteries but no change. What could be the issue here? Replace bettery holder? Fix it? Or something much worse? Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

One of the wires from the holder probably came off . Got a pic?

#3 8 years ago

Yes stand by...

#4 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#5 8 years ago

Do you have a meter? If so u need to test to see if the voltage is getting to the board first off.

#6 8 years ago

Yes I do, can you please tell me the setting I new on my meter?

Can you please tell me where to place the leads for testing? Black lead where and red lead where? Thanks!!

#7 8 years ago

Meant to say, the setting I need

#8 8 years ago

Next step would be a robot arm, controlled by one of us, fixing your pin remotely.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

Next step would be a robot arm, controlled by one of us, fixing your pin remotely.

Not funny

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

Isn't this what is all about? Others helping others? I am new to this hobby. I am learning. You don't have to say that. I know I need a lot of help but I am learning little by little. Sorry I don't have your expertise

#11 8 years ago

Thank you for your input anyway. Cheers

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Do you have a meter? If so u need to test to see if the voltage is getting to the board first off.

Hopefully you can guide me here. Thanks!

#13 8 years ago

Hope this helps:

1. Put the meter to 20 volt (turn knob left)
2. Switch meter to DC (button on the left should be UP)
3. Put red lead to red wire touching CPU board
4. Put black lead to black wire touching CPU board
5. Post results here

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Isn't this what is all about? Others helping others? I am new to this hobby. I am learning. You don't have to say that. I know I need a lot of help but I am learning little by little. Sorry I don't have your expertise

We all gotta start somewhere which is why I help as many people as possible bc this place taught me alot .Im glad your trying to learn bc its very important if your gonna own pins lol.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hopefully you can guide me here. Thanks!

Quoted from mgpasman:

Hope this helps:
5. Post results here

This

#16 8 years ago

Do you have a diode or just a plain wire jumper in your spare slot on your battery holder?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Do you have a diode or just a plain wire jumper in your spare slot on your battery holder?

Looks like a wire to me. If it would be a diode, be sure its mounted in the right direction, else it would block current?

#18 8 years ago

Im no expert but without a diode in the spare slot the game will charge the batteries and kill them (or worse). Vid1900 and many others have helpful threads on how to do it correctly

Screenshot_2016-03-28-03-45-09-1.pngScreenshot_2016-03-28-03-45-09-1.png

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Im no expert but without a diode in the spare slot the game will charge the batteries and kill them (or worse). Vid1900 and many others have helpful threads on how to do it correctly

Screenshot_2016-03-28-03-45-09-1.png

Is there a diode in the original battery holder as well?

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

but without a diode in the spare slot the game will charge the batteries

If the CPU-board is original (besides the remote battery holder) it won't charge the batteries because D2 blocks from charging.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

Hope this helps:
5. Post results here

Ok thanks! Will post results after work today....sorry I feel asleep last night

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Just a wire

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Screenshot_2016-03-28-03-45-09-1.png

Do they sell battery holders with the diode installed?

If not, which diode should I buy?

What happens if Someone installes a new battery holder with no wire or diode in that slot? Sorry, trying to learn thanks!

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

If the CPU-board is original (besides the remote battery holder) it won't charge the batteries because D2 blocks from charging.

Yes original board

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

We all gotta start somewhere which is why I help as many people as possible bc this place taught me alot .Im glad your trying to learn bc its very important if your gonna own pins lol.

Yes thank you

#26 8 years ago

Guys,

I will test with meter later today after work and post results here.

But I wanted to ask you a question: Can I just buy a new battery holder and replace it? Is it that simple? Does anything need to be done to the board in order to just swap a battery holder? Can I keep the same wires soldered to the board when replacing holder? Thanks!

#27 8 years ago

The diode is so batteries don't explode if the game tries to charge them. Getaway is a WPC game that used non-rechargeable batteries so your jumper wire there is fine. Replacing the battery holder is certainly possible, but get an idea of where the actual problem is before replacing stuff.

Another test you can do is set your multimeter for continuity (the diode and wave symbols). If you touch the two leads together, you should get a beep to show there's continuity. Test continuity on each end of the red and black wires from the board to the battery holder. I've had broken splices under shrink tubing before.

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

The diode is so batteries don't explode if the game tries to charge them. Getaway is a WPC game that used non-rechargeable batteries so your jumper wire there is fine. Replacing the battery holder is certainly possible, but get an idea of where the actual problem is before replacing stuff.
Another test you can do is set your multimeter for continuity (the diode and wave symbols). If you touch the two leads together, you should get a beep to show there's continuity. Test continuity on each end of the red and black wires from the board to the battery holder. I've had broken splices under shrink tubing before.
pasted_image_(resized).png

Sounds great! Will do that after work and report back.

Please answer this question: In case it is just the holder, can I just buy any holder that holds 3 batteries but without that jumper cable? Or that junper cable is necessary?

Most places just sell the battery holder for 3 batteries but no extra space like mine has to solder a jumper cable. Thanks

#29 8 years ago

What is the purpose of that jumper wire?

#30 8 years ago

The jumper just turns your 4-battery holder into a 3-battery holder. People use the 4-battery holders in case they need to use a diode since it's easy to add one into that 4th spot.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

The jumper just turns your 4-battery holder into a 3-battery holder. People use the 4-battery holders in case they need to use a diode since it's easy to add one into that 4th spot.

So In my case, I don't need this jumper cable or this 4 battery holder right?

Can I just buy a 3 battery holder, plug it in and call it a day? (If it turns out to be the holder causing the problem of course)

Thanks

#32 8 years ago

Well you need the jumper wire in the sense that your batteries wouldn't be connected to the board without it on your particular one. But you'd be fine with a 3 battery holder instead. I think this was the cheapest one we found a few months ago http://www.taydaelectronics.com/aa-battery-holder-5.html

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Well you need the jumper wire in the sense that your batteries wouldn't be connected to the board without it on your particular one. But you'd be fine with a 3 battery holder instead. I think this was the cheapest one we found a few months ago http://www.taydaelectronics.com/aa-battery-holder-5.html

Thanks for helping! Well that sounds perfect. Will test with meter and report back. Can I also test D1 and D2 with the same beep test on the meter? Thanks!

#34 8 years ago

Well guys here we go,

I did the continuity test from black wire soldered on board to holder connector and the meter beeps, also did the red wire and it also beeps. Does this tell me anything here?

Did the 20 AC test with black lead on black wire and red lead to red wire and got nothing. Maybe I am not doing it right?

Did the diode test (beep test) on D1 and D2 and got nothing, tested other diodes through out the board and nothing. So probably doing it wrong. Please see my meter and help me with the settings if you don't mind. Thanks

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

pasted_image_(resized).png

I did the test and I do get continuity on black and red. What do you think? Thanks

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Well guys here we go,
I did the continuity test from black wire soldered on board to holder connector and the meter beeps, also did the red wire and it also beeps. Does this tell me anything here?
Did the 20 AC test with black lead on black wire and red lead to red wire and got nothing. Maybe I am not doing it right?
Did the diode test (beep test) on D1 and D2 and got nothing, tested other diodes through out the board and nothing. So probably doing it wrong. Please see my meter and help me with the settings if you don't mind. Thanks

image_(resized).jpeg

I am no expert in board issues but I do believe that your multimeter is not turned on.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

I am no expert in board issues but I do believe that your multimeter is not turned on.

Well is not turned on in the picture

#38 8 years ago

Ok got it!

D2 gives me 652

D1 gives me 194

#39 8 years ago

What do you guys think? Thanks

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Well guys here we go,

Did you have it set to DC volts batteries are always DC, never AC.

#41 8 years ago

Yes i got continuity

#42 8 years ago

And also d1 and d2 are good

Does that eliminate everything? Does that mean its just the battery holder? Thanks

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yes i got continuity

Continuity has absolutely nothing to do with AC versus DC voltage.

You said:

Quoted from KornFreak28:Did the 20 AC test with black lead on black wire and red lead to red wire and got nothing. Maybe I am not doing it right?

If you didn't have the meter set for DC it will measure 0 even if there is 1000VDC (assuming the DC is clean). Make sure the meter is set to DC (it looks like it's set to AC in the picture but I can't tell for sure), 20 Volts and measure each battery (should be >1.5VDC) and then at the 9 volt style connector (should be ~ 4.5 - 5.1 VDC), then at the point where the wires connect to the board.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Continuity has absolutely nothing to do with AC versus DC voltage.
You said:

If you didn't have the meter set for DC it will measure 0 even if there is 1000VDC (assuming the DC is clean). Make sure the meter is set to DC (it looks like it's set to AC in the picture but I can't tell for sure), 20 Volts and measure each battery (should be >1.5VDC) and then at the 9 volt style connector (should be ~ 4.5 - 5.1 VDC), then at the point where the wires connect to the board.

Sounds good, will report back thanks

#45 8 years ago

Tested the battery first and got 1.6

Then tested the wires at the board and the battery holder connector and got nothing. What do you think?

#46 8 years ago

I feel very frustrated. Don't know how to work this meter. I think I have the correct settings. See picture. I don't get anything when I test the wires at the board like I do with the battery

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Tested the battery first and got 1.6

Where did you test the battery? Pic please.

Quoted from KornFreak28:I don't get anything when I test the wires at the board like I do with the battery

Then there is a break some where, which is your problem. Look under the heat shrink.

#48 8 years ago

Your meter looks to be set correctly to read voltage needed. Note that the voltage setting has both a straight and wavy line? This signifies dc or ac which is controlled by he push button on the left side.

One way to tell if you are correctly reading dc would be to test a known good battery with your settings. Pull a AA for your tv remote and you should get 1.5 volts.

The 2, 20, 200 etc. are for setting scaling.

#49 8 years ago

May I suggest reviewing YouTube videos of how to operate a DMM?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#50 8 years ago

Look at it this way. Cut open a 3 cell flashlight. If you put the negative (black) meter lead on the spring at the butt and put the positive (red) lead on the pos terminal of that end battery you will read 1.5VDC. Now move to the pos of the next battery. You will read 3VDC. Now move to the pos of the 3rd battery. You will read 4.5VDC. Now move to the switch. You will still read 4.5VDC. Now, with the switch off, move to the other side of the switch. You will read 0VDC. There's the break in the chain. Now turn the switch on and you get 4.5VDC on the switch. Move to the bulb and you get 4.5VDC. Move to the other side of the bulb and you get 0VDC because both meter leads are on the negative wire. Forget about all the beep testing and continuity. You are looking for voltage and where the break in the chain is. The 2,20,200 on the meter is the maximum you expect to see on the circuit. Make sure AC/DC is switched correctly. Batteries will always be DC. Other circuits can be AC or DC. Look in the manual to see what spec is for the circuit you are working on.

Here's a few more scenarios. Put a piece of paper between the spring and the 1st battery. Now do the test above. You get 0VDC, when you know the battery is 1.5. Now you know there's a break on the ground side. Now take the paper out and put it between the 2nd and 3rd battery. Now test. 1.5, 3, 0. So, you know the break is between the 2nd and 3rd battery. Starting to make sense now?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 20.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 72.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-getaway-resets-to-factory-settings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.