Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Willy39
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So I was playing my newly acquired Getaway last night. Still trying to find out all the things that may need fixing but overall it has been working fine. During the game, the sound went and the speakers were softly humming. The dmd flickered a few times as well. Then suddenly it went dead. No lights, no display, no nothing. Pretty much like there was a power outage. So, I opened the back box, pushed in all the ribbons and plugs. I did also find a few that were coming lose as well. The game did turn back on and boot up fine, and played fine. I am just wondering if this is something I need to be concerned about. Was it just loose connections? Is there a kill switch that cuts of power to game to prevent damage if something was wrong? Could it be the fuses? Any ideas if I am going down a road where my game is in serious trouble, or should I not be worried since it came back on after re-seating plugs and ribbons? Also, wondering if this has happened to anyone else as well. Thanks for the help in advance!

#2 11 years ago

At this point i would do a visual inspection and look for any burning connectors. Assuming you may not have a lot of tech experience, if it now works, i wouldnt mess with it.

#3 11 years ago

Check the power cord in the back of the machine. You could have some cracked header pins on the AC power in on the driver board, connectors J104. It could also be cracked header pins on the 5/12v DC that feeds MPU board, connector J114.

#4 11 years ago

Sounds like the traveling bug. Pins don't travel well and a lot of the connectors tend to work loose during moving, especially on long hauls. I drive mine up for Florida to South Kacalacky (Carolina for you yankees) and I always get in a hurry to set up and let my help play a few game. Then that is when it starts trouble here trouble there, oh, yea forgot to reseat acouple connectors after that they play fine and no lastihg effects. But like barakandi said look for burnt connectors or burning smells other than that reseat and play away.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks. I will do a closer inspection on it. Hopefully just the travel bug. My last three pins got it. Lasted a few days and then they were better!

#6 11 years ago

WHO IS THIS BADPENNY? he has no clue what he's talking about.

#7 11 years ago

Hey Benwithapin. Do you have any suggestions on what I should look for other than what was suggested in this post? I just am afraid this is a sign of worse things to come!

#8 11 years ago

God forbid it's the cracked header pins, but you should check into that anyways when you get a chance. You know how those power cords can be.

#9 11 years ago

What kind of voltage reading are you getting on your outlet?

I've found Getaway's in particular to be very sensitive on getting enough power.

Mine was shutting off every time I reached multiball, and sometimes it would shut down as soon as I launched a ball. I had it plugged into a long extension cord with other things being run off the same line.

Installed a new outlet and it's never shut off on me since.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Benwithapin:

WHO IS THIS BADPENNY

come on now, I'm just suggesting what I've seen in my pins. I do think other things should be looked at too. No need in the troll talk, you don't even know me, and with you vast karma points looks like you may not be an expert yourself. I don't claim to be the end all, just a observer trying to help

#11 11 years ago

I see the backhanded remark in there man...no need for the hostility. Speaking of trolling why are you hating on yankees? What's wrong with living up north? If anybody should be quiet, it's southerners. Have you ever seen Honey Boo Boo? And what do karma points have to do with my pinball knowledge? I just don't want the man to think his traveling is the only reason for a messed up pinball machine if the issue is deeper.

#12 11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help. I will check the voltage on my outlet. Posting on pinside has always been a very friendly and inviting place. I don't know much about fixing pins but like to think I am learning. And I do know some of my questions are very basic and may get a "duh!" reaction. I know how that is as my fulltime gig is working in a school district's technology department. Sometimes teachers and technology do not mix! I know a lot about computers but ZERO about electricity and it's components. So, I hope Pinside stays that way in helping pinball owners of all skill sets. And thanks again for all the help from everyone.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Benwithapin:

hating on yankees

That was a joke on southerners and their dialect, I'm poking fun of myself.

Quoted from Benwithapin:

Have you ever seen Honey Boo Boo

there should be a backlash against shows like that, no brains for making mindless BOOB-TUBE

Quoted from Benwithapin:

I just don't want the man to think his traveling is the only reason for a messed up pinball machine if the issue is deeper.

I agree thats why I said take the other posters advice and look at other things too, I would just hope he would have the luck I've had. You could of been a little nicer yourself, remember you started this. So can we start over and just get along and add advice not call out people?

#14 11 years ago

I don't really want this thread to become about me and you badpenny...We don't need to hijack it, so let's get back to the real problem...Willy needs some help. So do you have any other advice besides "traveling problems?"

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Benwithapin:

So do you have any other advice

Let's see what happens after reseating connectors, checking voltage, checking connections to power board, hell it could be anything, got to go thru steps to narrow it down. I just tried to give him a starting point with a little hope. This hobby is not for the faint of heart and messes with your head constantly. Good Luck willy

#17 11 years ago

Badpenny sounds like you do repairs for a living?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#18 11 years ago

So things are not looking good. Turned on game and ALL the GI lights and backbox lights do not work. I was playing a game and suddenly they did all turn on, but about 5 minutes later, the pin shut down again like the power was cut to the game.

This is what I did so far:
I re-seated all the connectors on the power driver board, changed some fuses, and I did check the j104 and j114 connectors. Both look fine and did not look burned out. The only thing I did 2 days ago was change the power plug. The original end had the ground broken so I cut if off and put on a new grounded plug.

#19 11 years ago

Sounds like you may have issues beyond this, but:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=A_disciplined_process_to_eliminate_WPC_game_resets

Don't get disheartened; I got two WPC games recently, both of which occasionally reset on me. Sometimes pins just don't travel well....

Check for burned and poorly seated connectors. That's something they seem to skim over at best in the wiki, which was absolutely the problem on one of my two, and at least partially the problem on the other.

#20 11 years ago

The problem is there is no reseting. The game just stops, power goes out on everything including dmd. The only way to get it back on is to power cycle it.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Sometimes pins just don't travel well....
Check for burned and poorly seated connectors

Careful benwithapin will be calling you out too

#22 11 years ago

When the power goes out on everything, check the voltages out of your bridges for output, if nothing then check input, if that is good then you may have a bad bridge. Check them out (there is a thread about how to do that including a youtube).

If the bridges have output, check your PS for 6.3V output to the the GI relay. If you have that then your GI may have shut down because your MPU is blanking the Driver Board (pinwiki shows how to check that).

Also when this happens do you have any indicators on at all on the MPU? If no then your really looking at a PS issue.

Basically what you are looking at while it seems like a lot, is probably just a bad 40 pin connector stopping the driver from working.

Lots easier to troubleshot that an intermittent that only resets the game every other day.

#23 11 years ago

nah sadpenny...mmsadda didn't say anything offensive. But you need to quit trolling and just stick with the topic at hand. Sorry for your issues Willy.

#24 11 years ago

Hey, benniethinskin, I think I hear your mommy calling, "come up from the basement for lunchie"

#25 11 years ago

That must have been your mother... do you even know what time it is in San Francisco? You know we are on different time zones Sadpenny... or do you just eat all day?

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Benwithapin:

That must have been your mother... do you even know what time it is in San Francisco? You know we are on different time zones Sadpenny... or do you just eat all day?

San Francisco??? Careful Ben you are going to turn him into Madpenny!!!

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Benwithapin:

That must have been your mother...

Ben shut your rice eater! Dont be bringing mothers into this childish arguement.
Have a God blessed day**

#29 11 years ago

Is there a subliminal message in there MoneyPenny? Where's the reply?

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Also when this happens do you have any indicators on at all on the MPU? If no then your really looking at a PS issue.

Yes, That is the only thing that appears to be on is the small red led lights on the power driver board.

#32 11 years ago

sadpenny is now speechless....Sorry willy

#34 11 years ago

Ok, the lights on the PS being on means your probably getting voltages at the PS.

Check the PS test points for correct voltage.
Check the MPU test points to see if voltage is getting there, if not you have a break between the PS and MPU. Probably in the 5VDC circuit shutting down the MPU, thus shutting down everything.

Checking the PS outputs is the biggest thing. Check them at the TP's on the PS and MPU.

#35 11 years ago

Thanks. I'll let everyone know how I make out. Appreciate all the help

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-getaway-pinball-lost-sound-then-went-dead-during-gameplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.