• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

159244408815646903466300144010 (resized).jpg
15924439024676771118259617253372 (resized).jpg
15924439024676771118259617253372 (resized).jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hello,

I just needed some feedback and opinions on the Getaway back loop shot.
I almost never (probably like 1 out of 100 tries) make the back loop ramp shot with the right flipper.

In an attempt to make the shot, I have completely rebuilt the flippers, leveled the machine, installed a brand new flipper button switch and I still don't make the shot. When the ramp is up the ball makes it around the loop easy. But when its time to go up the ramp, the ball just makes it half-way and back down the ramp it goes. The shot with the upper flipper works perfect. It goes up easy.

My question is: Do you guys always make the shot with the right bottom flipper? How often do you make it? Does it have to be a perfectly hit shot in order to make it up the ramp?

Any ideas? Do I need to adjust or fix something else to make the shot? Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Does the ball look like it loses speed in the back behind the supercharger? I had an issue where the ball often hit something and would come back down the left orbit. Turns out it was hitting the head of the screw on the metal guide in the back. Took the screw out and problem solved.

#3 8 years ago

Yes, the lwr right flipper should easily make the drop ramp.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Does the ball look like it loses speed in the back behind the supercharger? I had an issue where the ball often hit something and would come back down the left orbit. Turns out it was hitting the head of the screw on the metal guide in the back. Took the screw out and problem solved.

Hmmmmm very very interesting. So you would literally see the ball slow down before hitting the ramp? Was it very noticeable change of speed?

On mine, i honestly don't know if its hitting something before hitting the ramp causing it to slow down or if it just slows down. What I do notice is that the ball makes it half way up the ramp and down it goes. There is got to be something causing this. I doubt the ramp has to be adjusted since the upper fliper makes the shot no problem.

Before removing the screw, would you ever get near the ramp like In my case? Thanks

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Thats what I figured. I honestly don't know if I should remove the SC and do all that work just to look back there or if there is something else I can change or upgrade in order to make the shot

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Can you maybe take a pic of the cabinet switch to see how big the gaps are between the contacts? Maybe i need to adjust those? To me they work great except for making it up the ramp. The rest is normal.

#7 8 years ago

If your right flipper can make the ramp shot to the SC then the left orbit to drop ramp should be no problem...remove SC (its not that time consuming) and check to see if ball is hanging up or "rattling around" and losing momentum...

#8 8 years ago

Do you have any problems making the left ramp with the right flipper? That could tell you if there's a flipper issue or something is catching it under the SC...

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

If your right flipper can make the ramp shot to the SC then the left orbit to drop ramp should be no problem...remove SC (its not that time consuming) and check to see if ball is hanging up or "rattling around" and losing momentum...

Yes I can make the SC shot easy, then It must mean there is something back there slowing the ball down...but what about the upper flipper? Nothing seems to slow that shot at all. The upper flipper makes the shot up the ramp easy. Still think something is slowing the ball down?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Do you have any problems making the left ramp with the right flipper? That could tell you if there's a flipper issue or something is catching it under the SC...

Well I completely rebuilt the flippers and The upper flipper makes the shot super easy, for sure nothing is slowing the ball on that shot

#11 8 years ago

I don't have my game in front of me, but there is a section of playfield you have to navigate up the left side before you get to the mutual area that the upper flipper and lower shot meet (that sounds stupid doesn't it)...hopefully that makes sense. In short, both shots don't travel exactly the same path (one enters from below and one enters from the right). Before those two paths meet is there something slowing it down?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

I don't have my game in front of me, but there is a section of playfield you have to navigate up the left side before you get to the mutual area that the upper flipper and lower shot meet (that sounds stupid doesn't it)...hopefully that makes sense. In short, both shots don't travel exactly the same path (one enters from below and one enters from the right). Before those two paths meet is there something slowing it down?

Yes you are correct, I will have to look again but I don't believe so. When the ramp is UP and I make the shot with bottom right flipper the ball travels really fast. It makes the loop every single time.

But when the ramp is DOWN and its time to make it up the ramp thats when the ball never makes it up there. So no, I do not think there is anything catching or slowing the ball down since it makes the loop really fast when the ramp is UP....

#13 8 years ago

Either my flipper needs more power (just did a complete rebuild) or I just don't know what else could be the issue

#14 8 years ago

I shoot the ball with my hand and it makes the ramp. So nothing is slowing the ball down. Very puzzling

#15 8 years ago

Is your ramp going all the way down?

#16 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure it does go all the way down. I mean, the upper flipper shots makes it up the ramp. Do you think I cam still bring it or adjust that ramp even lower? Thanks

#17 8 years ago

I did a visual inspection las night and it looks flush with the PF

#18 8 years ago

Did you use the correct parts to rebuild the flippers?

There are different parts for different WPC generations and mixing flipper coil plungers and coil stops can present issues due to different lengths.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Did you use the correct parts to rebuild the flippers?
There are different parts for different WPC generations and mixing flipper coil plungers and coil stops can present issues due to different lengths.

Yes sir, all thw correct parts. Even before the flipper rebuild, the ball wouldn't make it up there. Honestly, when the ramp is UP the ball travels very fast around the loop. Maybe the ramp flap is at fault? But everything comes back to the upper flipper, that shot has no problems at all

#20 8 years ago

Is it possible that the flipper works well enough to make the SC ramp but not the back ramp ? The SC shot is straight and direct. The rear ramp shot rides the outside all the way around and that might be scrubbing enough speed off the ball to the point it doesn't have enough speed left to make the ramp. On my game , I pretty much have to nail the shot perfectly to make the back ramp. I've had plenty of shots get halfway up and roll back. If the ball rattles around in the lane it scrubs off speed. A good coat of wax on the playfield and side rails goes a long way toward making that shot easier. I'm assuming you've checked your flipper re-build for anything binding, the correct part numbers (coil sleeve, coil, plunger, good flipper rubber, good playfield bushing etc. ) , and the finished angle of the flipper. Also check for the correct gap on the EOS switch.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I shoot the ball with my hand and it makes the ramp. So nothing is slowing the ball down. Very puzzling

The anticipation of getting multiball, you crack under the pressure and can't make the shot, drain your ball game over.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Fixie:

Is it possible that the flipper works well enough to make the SC ramp but not the back ramp ? The SC shot is straight and direct. The rear ramp shot rides the outside all the way around and that might be scrubbing enough speed off the ball to the point it doesn't have enough speed left to make the ramp. On my game , I pretty much have to nail the shot perfectly to make the back ramp. I've had plenty of shots get halfway up and roll back. If the ball rattles around in the lane it scrubs off speed. A good coat of wax on the playfield and side rails goes a long way toward making that shot easier. I'm assuming you've checked your flipper re-build for anything binding, the correct part numbers (coil sleeve, coil, plunger, good flipper rubber, good playfield bushing etc. ) , and the finished angle of the flipper. Also check for the correct gap on the EOS switch.

Yes everything is the correct replacement parts on the rebuild. How can I measure correctly the eos switch gap? Maybe thats my problem?

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The anticipation of getting multiball, you crack under the pressure and can't make the shot, drain your ball game over.

Lol, not really. It happens on green light too when I am not under pressure to get multiball...

#24 8 years ago

Some say it takes a prefect shot and some say it doesn't take a perfect shot...little confused

#25 8 years ago

What flipper angle gives you the most power? I lined my up with the inlane guides...maybe a little up or down gives me more power?

#26 8 years ago

I have he same issue with my Getaway. I rebuilt all flippers and it takes a perfect shot with the ball rolling to get it up the drop down ramp From the bottom right flipper. I have a brand new power board and I feel there has to be a power issue to the flippers. When I go to shows I play other Getaways and some you can make the shot easily from a trapped ball on the bottom right flipper and others you have to have the ball moving to make the shot. I've had my tech over to look for anything obvious on the boards but no luck.

#27 8 years ago

What is a perfect shot to me is probably just another "Ho-hum" shot to better players.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

I have he same issue with my Getaway. I rebuilt all flippers and it takes a perfect shot with the ball rolling to get it up the drop down ramp From the bottom right flipper. I have a brand new power board and I feel there has to be a power issue to the flippers. When I go to shows I play other Getaways and some you can make the shot easily from a trapped ball on the bottom right flipper and others you have to have the ball moving to make the shot. I've had my tech over to look for anything obvious on the boards but no luck.

Wow! There must be something you and I are missing.

#29 8 years ago

I can make my ramp shot using a trapped ball but I have to let it go perfectly (to me)

#30 8 years ago

I had this problem when I first got my Getaway and it was a bundle of wires from the supercharger that was hanging down just a bit that the ball would just graze and get slowed down. Check for clearance back there. One I tied that up, never a problem. As long as you get a clean shot that enters the left loop it always locks. I've even backhanded that shot before, usually by luck, but nobody needs to know that part. Also, fresh balls and freshly waxed pf might help. Good luck!

Mike

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

I had this problem when I first got my Getaway and it was a bundle of wires from the supercharger that was hanging down just a bit that the ball would just graze and get slowed down. Check for clearance back there. One I tied that up, never a problem. As long as you get a clean shot that enters the left loop it always locks. I've even backhanded that shot before, usually by luck, but nobody needs to know that part. Also, fresh balls and freshly waxed pf might help. Good luck!
Mike

Very good info! Will have to check that out for sure! Thanks!

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Fixie:

I can make my ramp shot using a trapped ball but I have to let it go perfectly (to me)

Wish I could do the same

Its frustrating to always rely on the upper flipper to lock balls

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

Mike

When you had that issue, were you able to lock the ball with the upper flipper?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

When you had that issue, were you able to lock the ball with the upper flipper?

If I remember correctly--yes. The bundle must have been hanging down more to the left where the ball would clear it from the upper flipper.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

If I remember correctly--yes. The bundle must have been hanging down more to the left where the ball would clear it from the upper flipper.

Thanks

#36 8 years ago

My back ramp shot needs to be pretty perfect, but not TOO bad. I can make it about 70% of the time. Other times, it rolls half way up, then comes back down.
I've had a similar issue on a Firepower where I couldn't make the upper lock from the right flipper. It turns out just lowering the angle of the flipper down a bit (just a hair towards the apron) made a HUGE difference, and now I can make that long, looping shot easily. Give it a try if nothing else pans out.

#37 8 years ago

Paint it brown, then try it.

Kidding though.

I have the opposite, I have a hard time hitting the ramp from the upper flipper. But lower flipper? Almost a guaranteed shot every time. Does it seem that the problem is the ball just doesn't get enough juice to make it all the way up the ramp? Or does it seem that something is obstructing it and redirecting it?

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Grangeomatic:

My back ramp shot needs to be pretty perfect, but not TOO bad. I can make it about 70% of the time. Other times, it rolls half way up, then comes back down.
I've had a similar issue on a Firepower where I couldn't make the upper lock from the right flipper. It turns out just lowering the angle of the flipper down a bit (just a hair towards the apron) made a HUGE difference, and now I can make that long, looping shot easily. Give it a try if nothing else pans out.

Wow that is great to hear! Will def try that out. Thanks!!!!

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Paint it brown, then try it.
Kidding though.
I have the opposite, I have a hard time hitting the ramp from the upper flipper. But lower flipper? Almost a guaranteed shot every time. Does it seem that the problem is the ball just doesn't get enough juice to make it all the way up the ramp? Or does it seem that something is obstructing it and redirecting it?

Well when the ramp is UP, the ball circles around the loop and back down pretty nicely. But when the ramp is Down, it just doesn't quite make it. I honestly don't know if more juice is needed, or something is slowing the ball down. I'm going to try lowering the flipper a little as grangeomatic suggested first. If not, I have no other choice but to face my ultimate fear and remove that supercharger to check

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I have no other choice but to face my ultimate fear and remove that supercharger to check

While I don't have the same issue, HS2 was my first pinball machine, and I had the same fear as you do. I eventually did it and removed the supercharger. It turns out that it's actually really easy and simple compared to some other games. I wrote a tutorial when I did it to help others. Here is the link: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-supercharger-removal-tutorial
I hope this helps! Don't fear... trust me... It's not bad at all.

EDIT: One thing to note is that some people have told me that their cables go though a hole thought the playfield instead of over the top like mine, so you might have to just flip up your supercharger if you can't get the cables out.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

While I don't have the same issue, HS2 was my first pinball machine, and I had the same fear as you do. I eventually did it and removed the supercharger. It turns out that it's actually really easy and simple compared to some other games. I wrote a tutorial when I did it to help others. Here is the link: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-supercharger-removal-tutorial
I hope this helps! Don't fear... trust me... It's not bad at all.
EDIT: One thing to note is that some people have told me that their cables go though a hole thought the playfield instead of over the top like mine, so you might have to just flip up your supercharger if you can't get the cables out.

Thank you! Very nice tutorial! Yes, I heard about the cables and how difficult it its to remove them. But why? The connectors don't fit through the hole or what makes it so difficult to remove those cables? Thanks!

#42 8 years ago

Seriously though....New balls and a freshly waxed playfield may make all the difference if your playing with old nicked up balls and a dirty PF.

Mike

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

Seriously though....New balls and a freshly waxed playfield may make all the difference if your playing with old nicked up balls and a dirty PF.
Mike

PF is waxed and I have new balls

#44 8 years ago

Supercharger really easy to remove. Just remember to disconnect the two connectors underneath the playfield first. It's also a good opportunity to clean and wax back there.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Supercharger really easy to remove. Just remember to disconnect the two connectors underneath the playfield first. It's also a good opportunity to clean and wax back there.

Yes good idea

#46 8 years ago

Nahhh Didn't work. Lowered the flipper a bit but no change. I guess I just have to remove the SC and find out. Will let you know when I do. Thanks everybody!

4 years later
#47 3 years ago

This is an old thread I know, but I am a new Getaway owner and I cannot make the freeway ramp from the right flipper. No obstructions and I can make it from the upper flipper. The right flipper can make the supercharger, but that is more of a straight-on shot. I can get about halfway up the ramp, but the ball just doesn't have enough juice on it to get all the way up there. I've done nothing to test the flipper strength, although it seems ok otherwise. Did anyone find a good solution to this one? Flipper angle? Thanks!

#48 3 years ago

What kind of coil do you have installed at the lower right flipper? Has the flipper been rebuilt already?

#49 3 years ago

Unknown, I just got this pin up and running. I'll check but everything appears to be stock. Thanks!

#50 3 years ago

Here is what I've got underneath. Both sides match and it looks pretty clean. I don't know how to tell if the flippers have been rebuilt but I assume not. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

15924439024676771118259617253372 (resized).jpg15924439024676771118259617253372 (resized).jpg159244408815646903466300144010 (resized).jpg159244408815646903466300144010 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 72.50
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 20.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-getaway-making-the-back-loop-shot-up-the-ramp/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.