IMG_0881 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0880 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1775 (resized).jpeg
20231024_002110 (resized).jpg
20231021_115435 (resized).jpg
20231024_001156 (resized).jpg
IMG_9695 (resized).jpeg
20190706_143848 (resized).jpg
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
#401 1 year ago

Finally had a chance to shop out my Genesis. Complete rebuild on the flippers and install the new clear ramps and cliffy set. Made a huge difference!

Just one issue to resolve. Not MPU related since it acts the same running the original MPU or a LISY80 board.

The robot reveal rarely works. If I press on the motor relay it will start and go through the cycle. Doesn’t seem to work by MPU control. I’ve seen it work once on its own. Going to try and clean the contacts on the relay again. Beyond that I may try swapping out the transistor on the driver board that controls the relay.

Any other things to watch out for on the robot reveal?

#402 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

The robot reveal rarely works.

I didn't see you mention it so I would recommend checking the Vari-Target. Those can be finicky and if the last spot isn't registering, you get no robot in game play.

#403 1 year ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

I didn't see you mention it so I would recommend checking the Vari-Target. Those can be finicky and if the last spot isn't registering, you get no robot in game play.

Good point but I don't think that was it since it does the light show for the robot reveal and plays the music. If the light show never happened then checking the vari-target is an excellent suggestion.

I did clean the contacts on the relay again and I also took a little tension out of the spring on that motor relay. Since I did that the reveal seems to work.

1 week later
#404 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Finally had a chance to shop out my Genesis. Complete rebuild on the flippers and install the new clear ramps and cliffy set. Made a huge difference!
Just one issue to resolve. Not MPU related since it acts the same running the original MPU or a LISY80 board.
The robot reveal rarely works. If I press on the motor relay it will start and go through the cycle. Doesn’t seem to work by MPU control. I’ve seen it work once on its own. Going to try and clean the contacts on the relay again. Beyond that I may try swapping out the transistor on the driver board that controls the relay.
Any other things to watch out for on the robot reveal?

Had this same issue - its the setup of the leaf switch near the motor - a make/break if I remember. Regardless, I had to actually trigger the event in game to see it work correctly - and it was that switch. If you need pics of mine as its set up, let me know!

#405 1 year ago

Has anyone upgraded the speakers , is there a need ? Also can the soundboard amplifier handle a subwoofer ?
I just wonder if the dated speakers are holding back anything .

Thanks

#406 1 year ago

Is there more than one slam sensor under the playfield on Genesis? I see one on the right side in the back. Just wonder if there are additional ones. Seems they are set too sensitive.

1 week later
#407 1 year ago

I have a switch matrix problem, and any help is appreciated. Switches 60 thru 65 (Strobe 6) are not working. I checked all the connections (plugs) and all are good. It seems that the problem may be with Z11 (strobe 6), Z14 (return 6) or U4. Is there a way to determine which IC is bad? I really do not want to "shotgun" it by replacing all 3 IC's. Has anyone experienced this type of switch matrix failure,,, if so, what was the remedy?

#408 1 year ago
Quoted from apc7654:

I have a switch matrix problem, and any help is appreciated. Switches 60 thru 65 (Strobe 6) are not working. I checked all the connections (plugs) and all are good. It seems that the problem may be with Z11 (strobe 6), Z14 (return 6) or U4. Is there a way to determine which IC is bad? I really do not want to "shotgun" it by replacing all 3 IC's. Has anyone experienced this type of switch matrix failure,,, if so, what was the remedy?

I have seen the switch matrix IC's go bad in Genesis and even more so in Monte Carlo as well as other older games like Volcano. A while back I designed a small daughter board that plugs in where Z13 and Z14 go then the chips plug into that. Helps prevent them from going bad due to voltage spikes above 5V or below ground. I've seen those chips gp bad on game with the large playfield motors. Most common was Monte Carlo as that runs often. There are several people that had games that ate the switch matrix IC's often and once installing this update have been running well. Board includes a couple sockets in case Z13 and Z14 hadn't been replaced before. If none of the chips have ever gone bad no reason to install this board but on games where they are a problem it can help. I run one in my own Genesis and my Volcano.

DiodeClamping1 (resized).jpgDiodeClamping1 (resized).jpgDiodeClamping2 (resized).jpgDiodeClamping2 (resized).jpg
#409 1 year ago

Thanks @robotworkshop! From your experience it seems that it's the "return" IC's (Z13 & 14) that routinely fail. Since I can't test these chips, I'm thinking if I should also replace "strobe" IC Z11. I'll work on this and will let you know how it ends up. Thanks again.

1 month later
#410 1 year ago

Driving into work today listening to 80's on 8 , Sirius XM. Just before they played the song "I feel for you" by Chaka Khan, the robot reveal tune played , exactly the same!

I've since tried to google the versions of the song , but no luck . That leaves me to believe it was XM radio programed it into their prelude.
So cool either way !

Can someone tell me the name of the Beethoven song it was used from,

Thanks

#411 1 year ago

Picked up a Genesis today. My first Gottlieb/Premier title. Initial run through one pop bumper not functioning and the display isn't working. Will start digging into that in the near future. Playfield is pretty nice. Some deal wear at the top lanes. Overall a pretty nice machine.

#412 1 year ago
Quoted from Canad-eh:

Can someone tell me the name of the Beethoven song it was used from

I believe it is: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach. It is a great moment when you get it.

Youtube

#413 1 year ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

I believe it is: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach. It is a great moment when you get it.
Youtube

Yes ! Thank you for this ! It is a great moment when you achieve the reveal in game , I always struggle with a ball capture to view it all . Usually ends up draining .

Quoted from DudeRegular:

Picked up a Genesis today. My first Gottlieb/Premier title. Initial run through one pop bumper not functioning and the display isn't working. Will start digging into that in the near future. Playfield is pretty nice. Some deal wear at the top lanes. Overall a pretty nice machine.

Welcome to the club ! Pop bumper should be an easy fix , display not so sure . Good luck

1 week later
#414 1 year ago

Just ordered and LED Kit, clear ramps and new flipper solenoids. already had replaced all the rubbers. Im excited to dive into the project. This will be the first LED swap i have done and also solenoids.... any advice? pretty simple? im not too concerned with the ramps as i hope they are pretty self explainatory. definitely will be doing a before and after.

#415 1 year ago

The clear ramps are amazing in the game. If you use LED flashers the new ramps don't block anything. It can be a little blinding.

I printed little covers for the flashers and it made a big difference. (pictures in this thread) I don't think I published them on thingiverse, but I can if you want to print them. I just hot glued them down, because I am a savage. Hot glue pops off easy enough when I want to remove them.

I also dyed my ramps Blue and Green. I love the look.

#416 1 year ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

The clear ramps are amazing in the game. If you use LED flashers the new ramps don't block anything. It can be a little blinding.
I printed little covers for the flashers and it made a big difference. (pictures in this thread) I don't think I published them on thingiverse, but I can if you want to print them. I just hot glued them down, because I am a savage. Hot glue pops off easy enough when I want to remove them.
I also dyed my ramps Blue and Green. I love the look.

Would love to see pics if you have any.

1 week later
#417 1 year ago

I have posted these before, but here are the colored ramps. Since this picture, I got rid of the purple lights in the pops and cut some "chrome" stickers for them
Genesis with colored rampsGenesis with colored ramps

Here is a shot with the flasher cap printed with glow in the dark PLA. It's kinda translucent.
IMG_20210929_170343602 (resized).jpgIMG_20210929_170343602 (resized).jpg

#418 1 year ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

I have posted these before, but here are the colored ramps. Since this picture, I got rid of the purple lights in the pops and cut some "chrome" stickers for them
[quoted image]
Here is a shot with the flasher cap printed with glow in the dark PLA. It's kinda translucent.
[quoted image]

Nice, is there a file for those flasher covers somewhere?

#419 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Nice, is there a file for those flasher covers somewhere?

I made a few of these on Tinkercad. (even my kids mock my cad skills) I made them public. Feel free to convert to STLs and go wild. I think if you deepen the part that goes into the play field, you could probably skip the hot glue. Play with them and let me know.

Basic cover
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/gw9fTlEOA5U-flasher-guard-2
basic cover (resized).pngbasic cover (resized).png

Robot Head: I made a few and really like these, but haven't installed.
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/g3GYGamEvE3-flasher-guard-genesis
Head (resized).pngHead (resized).png

This is a sorta replica of the life force generator. It may be too tall, but looks cool assembled
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/em3qAciHcoL-flasher-guard-insulator
generator (resized).pnggenerator (resized).png

#420 1 year ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

I made a few of these on Tinkercad. (even my kids mock my cad skills) I made them public. Feel free to convert to STLs and go wild. I think if you deepen the part that goes into the play field, you could probably skip the hot glue. Play with them and let me know.
Basic cover
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/gw9fTlEOA5U-flasher-guard-2
[quoted image]
Robot Head: I made a few and really like these, but haven't installed.
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/g3GYGamEvE3-flasher-guard-genesis
[quoted image]
This is a sorta replica of the life force generator. It may be too tall, but looks cool assembled
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/em3qAciHcoL-flasher-guard-insulator
[quoted image]

nice work! thank you for posting these

2 months later
#421 11 months ago

For those of you with clear reproduction ramps, I wanted to share my cheap solution for the capture flashers. I bought a couple flasher domes to cover the flashers, unfortunately they don't fit under the ramp without modification so I cut them as pictured, made a heat bend on the remaining tab, and used double sided tape to secure them.

20230512_142133 (resized).jpg20230512_142133 (resized).jpg20230512_142309 (resized).jpg20230512_142309 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#422 10 months ago

Anyone have any more information on this backglass and decals??

https://www.flipjuke.fr/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=149613&hilit=genesis&start=80#p894936

IMG_2908 (resized).jpegIMG_2908 (resized).jpegIMG_2909 (resized).jpegIMG_2909 (resized).jpeg
#423 10 months ago

Those decals are awesome.

#424 10 months ago

Made up a custom translite, and had Walmart print it up for like $18. Found an 8” figure of the monster, that comes in the tuxedo so I put it in some custom clothing I got off eBay. Swapped it into the life force generator, and strapped it down with some metal zip ties. Feels like it goes well with the pin. E7F0A09D-D04C-49EA-8B43-42A666865229 (resized).jpegE7F0A09D-D04C-49EA-8B43-42A666865229 (resized).jpeg

3032B15F-B40B-41CA-80B0-F08A65DA3485 (resized).jpeg3032B15F-B40B-41CA-80B0-F08A65DA3485 (resized).jpeg3A62534C-79F3-4F3C-B935-D4511E9F8773 (resized).jpeg3A62534C-79F3-4F3C-B935-D4511E9F8773 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#425 9 months ago

In da club. Thanks to Zitt for the pop bumpers and Freeplay40 for the ramps.

IMG_0248 (resized).jpegIMG_0248 (resized).jpegIMG_0249 (resized).jpegIMG_0249 (resized).jpeg
#426 9 months ago
Quoted from LoPan:

Thanks to Zitt for the pop bumpers

Those clear pops look great! I bet it helps light the upper part of the game.

1 month later
#427 8 months ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

Those clear pops look great! I bet it helps light the upper part of the game.

It does but now there is a harsh glare on the scoreboard. May have to fashion up a glare protector in reverse.

#428 8 months ago

My genesis rebuild came out pretty good!

OFUU8349 (resized).JPGOFUU8349 (resized).JPG
#429 8 months ago
Quoted from WesleyB:

My genesis rebuild came out pretty good!
[quoted image]

Looks great! Good job. I love the way the clear ramps look. So much artwork covered up by the stock ones.

#430 8 months ago
Quoted from LoPan:

May have to fashion up a glare protector in reverse.

I had my daughter cut some silver vinyl into circles to cut down the glare from the LED lamp. It blocks the light fairly well. The stock pops are slightly domed on top, so it doesn't sit entirely flat.

3 weeks later
#431 7 months ago

Hi, I just joined the club earlier this week and cleaned & set it up today.

From cradle, a perfect shot to the ramps just barely makes it to the top. Anything less than perfect comes back down. This is my first Gottlieb. Flippers definitely seem weaker than my WPCs or sterns. Is this normal?

I did clean flipper EOS switch contacts. I haven’t messed with the flippers beyond that.

#432 7 months ago
Quoted from curban:

Hi, I just joined the club earlier this week and cleaned & set it up today.
From cradle, a perfect shot to the ramps just barely makes it to the top. Anything less than perfect comes back down. This is my first Gottlieb. Flippers definitely seem weaker than my WPCs or sterns. Is this normal?
I did clean flipper EOS switch contacts. I haven’t messed with the flippers beyond that.

I would do a flipper rebuild. Check for worn parts. If they seem fine I would at the least put new coils sleeves in.

#433 7 months ago

Start with checking eos condition clean and gaps first then full flipper rebuild

#434 7 months ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

I would do a flipper rebuild. Check for worn parts. If they seem fine I would at the least put new coils sleeves in.

Quoted from crlush:

Start with checking eos condition clean and gaps first then full flipper rebuild

Thanks to both for suggestions!

1 week later
#435 7 months ago

I am looking for a plastic set for Genesis….
Anyone know where to get a set?

#436 7 months ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I am looking for a plastic set for Genesis….
Anyone know where to get a set?

Repos have never been made, as far as I know.

2 weeks later
#437 6 months ago

My new maria : Silver Screen Metropolis Robot 1:8 scale from X-Plus
https://www.amazon.com/X-PLUS-Metropolis-Maschinenmensch-Silver-Screen/dp/B0BPBFTW5D

A nice painting and off we go

#438 6 months ago

yes i can give some detail of my genesis erikrom version , its in wip but i can give some screen shot

Hello friends, A little news from my handyman side. I am reaching the end, (almost) of my restoration with modification of the COMPLETE aesthetic of a pinball machine that I particularly appreciate despite its great age. the GENESIS of GOTTLIEB generation sys80B.
Thanks to friends in my southeast region, I am lucky enough to be able to buy a GENESIS from GOTTLIEB, from this same region. my friends will recognize each other.
pinball model long criticized for certain faults, moreover not false, like its translite, I admit it but also, it is not a dowry, ha ha ha, remark often heard at pinball shows. There is no smoke without fire .
certainly, but in 1986 there was none, and that is no reason to sulk.
ultra classic but ultra complete board, two sublime ramps, yes if they are sublime, finally you will understand because they will squirt with a certain pleasure, side corridors, full of meaning in the missions to be accomplished, target which also allows you to move forward the missions and varied targuet full of Energy to bring the heart of pinball to life. A pinball machine with a mission for the time, it's ultra complete and very gripping. Not so common.
Will you be able to reconstruct the organs of GENESIS with ARMS, BRAIN, BODY, LEGS and turn on the center and heart of the machine, in order to give life to GENESIS.
Originally you will have recognized the first truly great science fiction film in the entire history of cinema; I named the block Buster, sta... que slab, METROPOLIS friends and yes. Fritz LANG 1927.
the sides rails, lock bar pinball stand and doors are polished then painted with 2k matt black paint and 2k matt varnish, the top is also 2k satin varnished two coats with 10 weeks of drying. Tray in the end already very shiny, enough for the tray lights to all reflect on this varnish, this adds an additional shine.
the molding of the pediment is new, the rubbers are all translucent sometimes it is not bright enough. supporting LED rails under the decorations and well-hidden plexiglass so that it doesn't burst your retina, what if it bursts your retina? no big deal and again I took my foot off
Whatever the red LEDs under the three targets in the center, does it let you imagine the mad scientist's machine working under the body in order to give birth to "genesis". Yes, cinema transports a child.

blade art sticker in the cash register, sticker on apron and on speaker panel, decorations created at the entrance to the two ramps. Which having become translucent allows a glimpse of the superb original panel and design. Tray retouched paint by me, in particular the white flashes on the central hatch, also redone by me brand new.
On the menu . the stickers created for the occasion thanks to
Flip arcade design on Facebook for sticker, plexiglass and future additional surprise.
ALADINICE big fan of pinball, hotel des chamoix col du turini which kept this copy of pinball warm for me.
MILAN not on Facebook, see flipjuke.fr for new reproductions of the plexi decorations, a full set and yes, but also with a blue fluorescent plexi, convolux style, we deny ourselves nothing.
rom up to date, fr, freeplay, and display in progress by flip Project 78 the Davroux brothers, like all my DIYs on GOTTLIEB they are essential https://www.flipprojets.fr/DMD80B_FR.php
the new translucent ramps instead of the original FREEPLAY40 pink vomito color ramps on pinside https://pinside.com/pin.../biz/directory/1069-encore-pinball
bumper protection, buttons and more, Sig Mabille facebook
and ramp and flap ramp protection by cliffy https://passionforpinball.com/products.htm
this article will be updated at length in July because it's not finished...

and some video from my meta page eric p du var
https://www.facebook.com/100007822722987/videos/pcb.3417396655197725/862854978731850
https://www.facebook.com/100007822722987/videos/pcb.3417396655197725/999152874474920
https://www.facebook.com/100007822722987/videos/pcb.3417396655197725/685584896531917
https://www.facebook.com/100007822722987/videos/pcb.3417396655197725/2677285412435969
https://www.facebook.com/100007822722987/videos/pcb.3417396655197725/830704198560537
https://www.facebook.com/100007822722987/videos/pcb.3417396655197725/1478062722766708

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg

386443005_311426621623392_8479044704592744862_n (resized).jpg386443005_311426621623392_8479044704592744862_n (resized).jpg386471990_305852662079862_6883877020224165181_n (resized).jpg386471990_305852662079862_6883877020224165181_n (resized).jpg
#439 6 months ago

Hello everyone! I'm considering a Genesis that's for sale near my house. Anything specific that is in unobtainium I need to look out for? Or any other specific advice? I'm going to roll the ball over the plexiglass enough to see how that goes and I'm also looking thoroughly at the ramps which I'm certain are very unique for the game.

TIA!

#440 6 months ago
Quoted from Biju:

Anything specific that is in unobtainium

Everything is still pretty much available except the plastics.

Quoted from Biju:

I'm also looking thoroughly at the ramps which I'm certain are very unique for the game

There are pretty affordable reproduction ramps here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps These are better quality than the originals and play great.

#441 6 months ago

thanks for that link! I'm still considering it but other than needing a shop it seems in pretty solid condition and the price is good. Is there any remedy for the plexiglass changing the ball direction? It seems to have shrunk over time and when the ball hits the crack between it and the playfield the ball will sometimes follow it for a little. I realize this is all of them but I was hoping someone had a good answer here; I attempted a search but perhaps I'm using the wrong vernacular to find it. I guess this is only 9 pages long so I'll try reading through quickly.

#442 6 months ago
Quoted from Biju:

thanks for that link! I'm still considering it but other than needing a shop it seems in pretty solid condition and the price is good. Is there any remedy for the plexiglass changing the ball direction? It seems to have shrunk over time and when the ball hits the crack between it and the playfield the ball will sometimes follow it for a little. I realize this is all of them but I was hoping someone had a good answer here; I attempted a search but perhaps I'm using the wrong vernacular to find it. I guess this is only 9 pages long so I'll try reading through quickly.

If it's too low there are small rubber washers you can add to give it a bit more height. Hard to get it really dialed in but definitely possible.

1 week later
#443 6 months ago

My Genesis has tall star posts behind the drop target bank. Is this correct? The metal piece looks like it sits well above the drop targets. I am getting a lot of air balls even with the double rubber rings.

14C02892-B62A-411E-977E-03264AFA96D1 (resized).jpeg14C02892-B62A-411E-977E-03264AFA96D1 (resized).jpegF7A946DA-4B7E-4CAE-9AD8-CBF229819644 (resized).jpegF7A946DA-4B7E-4CAE-9AD8-CBF229819644 (resized).jpeg
#444 6 months ago
Quoted from schwism:

My Genesis has tall star posts behind the drop target bank. Is this correct? The metal piece looks like it sits well above the drop targets. I am getting a lot of air balls even with the double rubber rings.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That is correct. The star posts behind the drop targets are a little taller than all the other ones. I get air balls all the time off mine. I think everyone does. Jumps right into the out lane on the left sometimes as well.

#445 6 months ago

The short posts will work in the drop target area. I am sure it originally came with tall ones, but I used short ones. Not sure if it makes a difference on airballs…

#446 6 months ago

On mine the metal part is almost straight.
In your photo it's really twisted

027-1 (resized).jpg027-1 (resized).jpg
#447 6 months ago
Quoted from Suteiben:

[quoted image]

I’m wondering about that too. In a number of photos the piece does look to be flat. I don’t know why the piece should be bent like that. Also, on mine the piece is held by screws. On others I’ve seen acorn nuts are used (this makes more sense since this way it is difficult to put in the screws with the rings in place. This goes back to the original question on posts-on yours do you have the tall star posts held with stud posts? Is there a rubber ring-I can’t tell from the picture.

#448 6 months ago

unfortunately as you can see mine has nothing original. It has been patched up with more or less old parts.
It is currently under renovation.

20190706_143848 (resized).jpg20190706_143848 (resized).jpg
#449 6 months ago
Quoted from Suteiben:

[quoted image]

Should be bent up slightly, but the airball problem is because the deflector is bent up too much.

#450 6 months ago

Finally finished mine- it would be nicer if someone would make new plastics….
I am really happy with it.

IMG_9695 (resized).jpegIMG_9695 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-genesis-club/page/9?hl=aamauzy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.