IMG_0881 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0880 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1775 (resized).jpeg
20231024_002110 (resized).jpg
20231021_115435 (resized).jpg
20231024_001156 (resized).jpg
IMG_9695 (resized).jpeg
20190706_143848 (resized).jpg
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 4 years ago

You most likely shorted your switch matrix. Do you have the original Gottlieb MPU board or a new repro?

#252 4 years ago

Nope...crap..

Thanks..

#253 4 years ago

Just finished a ton of repairs on my newly acquired Genesis. While installing LED’s it occurred to me that I hadn’t considered the reveal bulbs. Has anyone replaced them with LED flashers? Thoughts? Photos?

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Just finished a ton of repairs on my newly acquired Genesis. While installing LED’s it occurred to me that I hadn’t considered the reveal bulbs. Has anyone replaced them with LED flashers? Thoughts? Photos?

I did mine.....didn't look good at all. Changed them back same day.
I do have LED flashers under the ramps.

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

LED flashers are never the answer. Haha. Just clean up or replace the incandescent bulbs.

#256 4 years ago

It's real easy to overdo it with LED flashers. Mine had them when I picked it up, and the reveal flashers look pretty good, I believe they are comet 8SMD flashers.

But man, the ones under the ramps were BRIGHT. I had to buy new ones a couple times to find something that wasn't blinding. When it comes to LED flashers I'd always recommend buying the ones advertised as the least bright.

-Hans

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

I changed a couple to diferent colors just to give it a different effect, also a couple purple ones in the backbox.

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from guard:

Can anybody tell me as I cant read SS schematics for the life of me. The top thumper bumper wasnt working and while checking the switches underneath I jumped and I think I touched the diode while touching the score switch......now the left outhole kicker wint stop firing as soon as I power on the game.
Can someone let me now if I fried the old diode and its causing this?

Are you sure the switch is not closed making the coil fire to kick the ball out?

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Are you sure the switch is not closed making the coil fire to kick the ball out?

No...first thing I checked.
I got this from a guru type on a forum up here. "Yes, a blown or shorted switch diode will cause other switches to trigger repeatedly. Sounds like it is shorted in your case."

When I finally get a day off Monday or Tuesday I'll start with the diode and go from there....

#260 4 years ago

Question for you guys. I just picked up a genesis. Can you make it up the left ramp from cradling the ball in the right flipper? I feel like mine might be getting a tad bit weak, but checked it out and everything seems to look alright.

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from Nelsonford218:

Question for you guys. I just picked up a genesis. Can you make it up the left ramp from cradling the ball in the right flipper? I feel like mine might be getting a tad bit weak, but checked it out and everything seems to look alright.

Rebuild your flippers for sure. Should zip around the ramp from a trap.

#262 4 years ago

Gotta get the pitch just right, but yes, should be possible.

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Gotta get the pitch just right, but yes, should be possible.

Mine was steep as hell. Longer legs in the back shorter in the front and long leg levelers all the way out.

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Mine was steep as hell. Longer legs in the back shorter in the front and long leg levelers all the way out.

Kinda wondered if the rear post on mine might have been changed too. It's really steep. Wont quite make it, without a rolling start down the flipper. Right ramp from left flipper catch no problem at all!

#265 4 years ago

If you didn’t rebuild the flippers right when you got the game or know they were rebuilt not too long ago, I’d definitely rebuild both of them.

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you didn’t rebuild the flippers right when you got the game or know they were rebuilt not too long ago, I’d definitely rebuild both of them.

Think I'll just do that! I noticed the rebuild kits dont come with the coils. No need to replace them?
I noticed also on the flipper in question, the end of the rod that goes through the coil and out of the end of the bracket doesnt have the little plastic tip on it that looks like it's supposed to keep it centered in the coil.
Flipper with the red coil is the weak one.

20200403_192904 (resized).jpg20200403_192904 (resized).jpg20200403_192927 (resized).jpg20200403_192927 (resized).jpg
#267 4 years ago

That plastic tip isn’t needed.

Coils don’t need replaced. They work.

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That plastic tip isn’t needed.
Coils don’t need replaced. They work.

I think I figured out the issue. On the good flipper, the eos starts engages about 3/16 of an inch before the end of the travel on the rod. On the weak flipper it's much much earlier, maybe engaging 1/3 of the way into the stroke. There is almost a 1/4 inch difference in spacers between the switches. Sorry for the bad terminology, I've only owned it for 2 weeks and it's my first machine!

#269 4 years ago

Good check. That could be your issue for sure.

#270 4 years ago

Also, the original bushings are much better then the repros IMO. If you do a rebuild, I wouldn't replace them unless one was cracked or broken.

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Also, the original bushings are much better then the repros IMO. If you do a rebuild, I wouldn't replace them unless one was cracked or broken.

That helped for sure, it will now make it up the ramp! Still not as strong as the other one. I think your right about the bushings, the strong one looks original, the weak one looks like a repro..

#272 4 years ago

Both bushings look original to me. Keep in mind there are 4 on this type of flipper mech, one on the top and bottom for each. If one flipper is weaker than the other, make sure the EOS and cabinet switches are nice and clean. Also, check for smooth operation. This type of flipper requires precise adjustment of the crank on the shaft in between the bushings. If it is misaligned slightly it will bind and sap strength. It doesn't take much for the flipper to get a little weak.

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Both bushings look original to me. Keep in mind there are 4 on this type of flipper mech, one on the top and bottom for each. If one flipper is weaker than the other, make sure the EOS and cabinet switches are nice and clean. Also, check for smooth operation. This type of flipper requires precise adjustment of the crank on the shaft in between the bushings. If it is misaligned slightly it will bind and sap strength. It doesn't take much for the flipper to get a little weak.

I had another button switch so I did replace it. I took the spring loose and it operates nice and freely but has alot of play in it compared to the other, but I believe that's just because of the missing tip piece. The eos switch does have some discoloration. Maybe just clean it up with a pencil eraser and some alcohol?

20200403_192000 (resized).jpg20200403_192000 (resized).jpg
#274 4 years ago

I was having issue with ramp shots when I first bought mine but a good cleaning and adjustment quickly meant I had to put waaaaaay more of a slope on it as I was getting air balls galore.

#275 4 years ago

It has helped me by cleaning and adjusting the flipper button switches so they have good tension on them, i have 2 Genesis and can make all ramps pretty good, both machines have had full rebuilds on flipper mechs also. Make sure the bats are adjusted right also, they point down slightly compared to williams or newer sterns, I also put a .010 shim under the bat before tightening the set screws so the bats dont bind.

#276 4 years ago

New art for a great game! Final edits below.

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

New art for a great game! I have some adjustments to make and variations with "anatomy" and an alternat doctor. I will post back shortly with the final but having lots of fun with it.[quoted image]

Wow, great work!

I could put this in mine if it were more family friendly

I like the doctor, can’t wait to see the final/alternates!!

#278 4 years ago

Thanks, yes it will also be available nipple free.

#279 4 years ago

Here's how they finished in 3 styles; Family friendly, Bally/Williams, and Full Frontal!
GEN FZ PST NONP  (resized).jpgGEN FZ PST NONP (resized).jpgGEN BLKNP PST (resized).jpgGEN BLKNP PST (resized).jpg

GEN FZ PURPNP v2 PsT (resized).jpgGEN FZ PURPNP v2 PsT (resized).jpg
#280 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Here's how they finished in 3 styles; Family friendly, Bally/Williams, and Full Frontal!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I love it ! Way to go, where can I buy one?

#281 4 years ago

This stupid right flipper... I still cant make it up the left ramp from the right flipper from craddleing the ball. I replaced the eos switch, the flipper button switch, bushings, sleeve, plunger, coil stop, aligned and adjusted over and over. Havent replaced the coil, but it is different from the right one and looks a little smaller diameter and newer. I know it's just a bunch of wire, but can they get weak somehow? Or do they make them in different strengths? Not really sure what to do now. I notice the weak flipper also has a bit higher pitched noise to its action when compared to the left flipper which has more of a thud to it. Red coil is the weak one in the pictures.

20200403_192904 (resized).jpg20200403_192904 (resized).jpg20200403_191945 (resized).jpg20200403_191945 (resized).jpg
#282 4 years ago

Looking for a NOS original or perfect original translite. PM if you have one available. Thx

#283 4 years ago

This stupid right flipper... I still cant make it up the left ramp from the right flipper from craddleing the ball. I replaced the eos switch, the flipper button switch, bushings, sleeve, plunger, coil stop, aligned and adjusted over and over. Havent replaced the coil, but it is different from the right one and looks a little smaller diameter and newer. I know it's just a bunch of wire, but can they get weak somehow? Or do they make them in different strengths? Not really sure what to do now. I notice the weak flipper also has a bit higher pitched noise to its action when compared to the left flipper which has more of a thud to it. Red coil is the weak one in the pictures.[quoted image][quoted image]

A-20095 is the correct coil, the left ramp is more difficult to make due to the angle and placement of the ramp. That being said the stock coils should be able to make the ramp from a cradle on a good clean shot. You may try to replace the coil to see if it helps but it looks like your other coil is the incorrect one. You may also check that you don't have the game setup too steep as that will make the ramp more difficult to make also.

#284 4 years ago

This stupid right flipper... I still cant make it up the left ramp from the right flipper from craddleing the ball. I replaced the eos switch, the flipper button switch, bushings, sleeve, plunger, coil stop, aligned and adjusted over and over. Havent replaced the coil, but it is different from the right one and looks a little smaller diameter and newer. I know it's just a bunch of wire, but can they get weak somehow? Or do they make them in different strengths? Not really sure what to do now. I notice the weak flipper also has a bit higher pitched noise to its action when compared to the left flipper which has more of a thud to it. Red coil is the weak one in the pictures.[quoted image][quoted image]

You have a screw missing on the coil stop in the upper picture. I had to adjust the flipper bats multiple times to get it just right you might have to clean the shafts with a file or reverse them to get it to stop biting down the bats in the same (bad) position. Keep playing it and adjusting eventually it will get where it needs to be. You should be able to make the left ramp from a cradle but I normally just shoot drop targets and the vari target from the right flipper. I found that its easier to backhand the left ramp from the left flipper since I always seem to get ball drains from using the left flipper to shoot the drops.

2 weeks later
#285 3 years ago

This is mine in LED

20190911_125155 (resized).jpg20190911_125155 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#286 3 years ago

Does anyone know if the alt translights are still available? I just picked up a Genesis and not sure yet what I am doing with it. I don't usually care for Gottliebs of this era, but this one looks like it might be fun. I will be looking for another translight if I do end up keeping it.

#287 3 years ago

Having some issues with Genesis reveal. Noticed that the 67 bulbs stay lit during reveal and Don’t chase/flash like they’re supposed to. Also noticed that the 4 ohm wirewound resistor gets so hot, it melts the solder and disconnects itself from the resistor board. I’ve only had this machine a short time and when I got it, it was riddled with issues. Based upon observation, the lead on the resistor has disconnected before as I can see it’s been resoldered... on the resistor itself. I don’t get the reveal that often so I’m sure this was an issue when I got the machine. Stumped on this one and it sure where to start... resistor tests ok @ 4ohms. Any help appreciated.

B65C2153-F89F-40D0-BF5A-1297B78D5EF1 (resized).jpegB65C2153-F89F-40D0-BF5A-1297B78D5EF1 (resized).jpeg
#288 3 years ago

My Genesis project has a very faded translite that washes out terribly when lit up. I decided to go with the actual theme for the playfield artwork...

I did not to the Wal-Mart $20 paper print but had a local professional print shop do this up on material that is designed to be backlit. Both pictures are in the same game with the same fluorescent tube. The red in Metropolis is more "red" to the naked eye than it looks in this picture. I had 2 printed if anyone is interested, DM if so. Cheers. Genesis #metropolis Tomass

Genesis Original (resized).jpgGenesis Original (resized).jpgMetropolis Game (resized).jpgMetropolis Game (resized).jpg
#289 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeelopy:

My Genesis project has a very faded translite that washes out terribly when lit up. I decided to go with the actual theme for the playfield artwork...
I did not to the Wal-Mart $20 paper print but had a local professional print shop do this up on material that is designed to be backlit. Both pictures are in the same game with the same fluorescent tube. The red in Metropolis is more "red" to the naked eye than it looks in this picture. I had 2 printed if anyone is interested, DM if so. Cheers. Genesis #metropolis Tomass
[quoted image][quoted image]

I am looking for the one that says Genesis on it. I don't understand the Metropolis connection, but it looks nice. I see ome on ebay now for 95 + shipping. I may go that route if I keep this one.

#290 3 years ago

Genesis appears to be Gottlieb’s appropriation of the creative work from the 1927 film Metropolis. Using the title “Genesis” apparently circumvented the need to secure the necessary licensing. I say “appears” because this is just my opinion but the concept does seem to borrow heavily from the film. Oddly enough, the copyright from the film fell into the public domain where it resided from 1954 until 1996 when the rights to the work were restored to the F. W. Murnau Foundation. The copyright expires in 2022 in the U.S. and 2047 in Germany. I wonder if the Gottlieb people just didn’t bother to look it up at the time of production and assumed there was a copyright in place (I guess there was no internet access over at Gottlieb in 1986!). If the copyright does permanently expire soon it would be a sweet title and theme. I for one prefer the Metropolis title and artwork to the seriously crappy translite that Gottlieb produced.

#291 3 years ago

Is anyone making plastics for this game yet?
Thanks

#292 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Thanks

I'm not aware of any reproductions being done for Genesis right now. Mine are in pretty good shape but there's a couple pieces that have small pieces chipped off. I'd love a new set.

#293 3 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I'm not aware of any reproductions being done for Genesis right now. Mine are in pretty good shape but there's a couple pieces that have small pieces chipped off. I'd love a new set.

Thanks. My newly acquired Genesis is in excellent shape with no playfield wear, but I have at least 3 cracked plastics. I may get repro ramps from freeplay40, mine are now repaired. I epoxied with plastic forms and then pulled them away once it was hard. Looks like a piece of scotch tape on there.

20200607_091343 (resized).jpg20200607_091343 (resized).jpg20200607_091451 (resized).jpg20200607_091451 (resized).jpg
#294 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Thanks

We can make the clear ones for sure. We have them on ours. I am planning to try making my own water slide decals, but haven’t yet. We actually have two genesis machines at our house right now.

Upkickpinball.weebly.com

Or try our UpKick store on pinside

1 month later
#295 3 years ago

I've been working on a 3D printed robot replacement that looks more like the one from Metropolis. Would this be of interest to any owners out there?

robot (resized).pngrobot (resized).png
#296 3 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

I've been working on a 3D printed robot replacement that looks more like the one from Metropolis. Would this be of interest to any owners out there?[quoted image]

Yes quite possibly

1 week later
#297 3 years ago

My time in this club was short lived. FWIW, I never cared for Gottliebs, but this game was pretty fun and opened my mind to considering other sys 80 GTBs. This game also made it possible to pick up this youth Can Am for the kids, which will get more use from them than pinball.

Resized_20200711_201232 (resized).jpegResized_20200711_201232 (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#298 3 years ago

Just joined the club!

New NOS translite on the way, new clear ramps from Freeplay40 soon. Used my Arts & Crafts skill to recreate the underplayfield lab.

Will do a full teardown once the ramps arrive. Excited!

20201104_101532 good (resized).jpg20201104_101532 good (resized).jpg20201104_101556 good (resized).jpg20201104_101556 good (resized).jpg
#299 3 years ago

Trying to troubleshoot why the veri target is scoring 40k but not spotting a body part or scoring life force when applicable. Is there a switch past the 40k for spotting those values? Game is at the club and I dont have a manual to reference. I cleaned the vari target rivets up but no joy. The swiper lands on the rivets except for the last single one that it continues past a good bit, so either it's not supposed to stop on that one or some kind of stop is missing. Next time I'm down there I'll take the target out and do some more investigating. Is there a place to order either the connectors for the switches on these boards, or a .156 IDC terminal that can be found? Can someone help me out with a photo of the manual that shows the switch numbers and or switch matrix?

#300 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Trying to troubleshoot why the veri target is scoring 40k but not spotting a body part or scoring life force when applicable. Is there a switch past the 40k for spotting those values? Game is at the club and I dont have a manual to reference. I cleaned the vari target rivets up but no joy. The swiper lands on the rivets except for the last single one that it continues past a good bit, so either it's not supposed to stop on that one or some kind of stop is missing. Next time I'm down there I'll take the target out and do some more investigating. Is there a place to order either the connectors for the switches on these boards, or a .156 IDC terminal that can be found? Can someone help me out with a photo of the manual that shows the switch numbers and or switch matrix?

I just got to work but I can take pics and post them in the morning if noone has yet. I did post a few pics from my manual on my restoration post but not sure if that would have any info you need.

Quoted from Xylog:

Just joined the club!
New NOS translite on the way, new clear ramps from Freeplay40 soon. Used my Arts & Crafts skill to recreate the underplayfield lab.
Will do a full teardown once the ramps arrive. Excited![quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the club! Pick up the Cliffy protectors before you install your new ramps. Don't want to break the new ones. They are made from thicker plastic and are more durable but I added them just to make sure. I'm getting ready to LED ours out here soon.

Where did you get the NOS translight?

Also when you order new ramps don't forget to buy the new decals for the ramp as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-genesis-club/page/6?hl=guard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.