(Topic ID: 52183)

The game you can't stand that is supposed to be an 'A-list' machine...

By zucot

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 238 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by kmoore88
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stirthepot.gif
th.jpeg
There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 years ago

tron.. gameplay is basic at best and the art looks just as bad as sega pin

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Honestly I can't think of a pin I've played that I couldn't stand.

Me either.....

I absolutely hated Lotr le when I first bought it, thought I was a complete moron for actually buying a pinball machine (actually probably am) and the more I played it the more I learned about it, the rules, modes, the better I got, etc...and now think its the best pin ever that I've played...

I didn't like WPT either at first, now I love it.....

So the question for me is the more I understand the rules and play the pin does it keep me coming back for more, like everyone else I guess...

But, I don't think there is any such thing as a "total crapper pin"....

It is funny how Tron, AFM and TAF are on a lot of people's list though...

#156 10 years ago

TRON.. gameplay is basic at best and the art looks just as bad as sega pin

#157 10 years ago

i do not like TAF

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Geez, this guy HATES Tron (and Sega)...

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

You can say that again!

#160 10 years ago

Addams Family. Has some neato call outs and I get the nostalgia value, but nothing past that.

#161 10 years ago

I got TAF for $2200ish and thought it was great...not now at the price it commands however!

#162 10 years ago

I never have been a big fan of Medieval Madness. It's a good machine, just not a Top Ten Alltime in my reckoning.

For that matter, I haven't seen a Stern machine in the last 10 years that has made me say 'wow, this is definitely a top machine'. They all seem overblown, I'd just as soon play an old System 11.

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!????!!!??!! How can that be possible? Two of the greatest games ever made. Tell me your just kidding from one BigDaddy to another. I'm rubbing my eyes but, the words are not changing.

Nope - have owned both and liked neither... I really tired to like them too, but just couldn't get into either.

#164 10 years ago

I should say that there's no A game that really grates on me, but there are some that I think don't deserve to be at the top...

TSPP - Deep ruleset, but flowless/clunky playfield. More of a grind than fun.
TAF - I don't have any nostalgia for this game like most do. It's just ok.
CFTBL - Great art and theme, but shallow and the entire top half of the playfield is unshootable.
Tron - Is this even an A game? I like the audio, but this game would fade into Stern mediocrity in my mind if I didn't hear about it every 2 seconds on pinside.

Brian

#165 10 years ago

I absolutely hate Williams Indiana Jones. If I had to buy one under the terms that i could never sell it, i wouldn't pay more than $500 for it. Not one second of any game played for me even approached what i would consider fun.

I didn't pick this one because the op has that rated as a perfect 10, either. One mans trash...

#166 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

STTNG. To me it's always felt like a would-be great game that was forced to be wide for no good reason. Here's my recipe to turn it into a fun, standard width machine:
Remove the cannons which require those oversized, misshapen slingshots with dead spots on the kicking side. Put in normal slings, inlanes & outlanes. Remove the middle scoop shot. Make the neutral zone narrower by removing the two standups.
Modes can start in the neutral zone, and multiball jackpots are no longer "scoop up the middle" ad infinitum.

Looks like Sttng will be host's choice.

#167 10 years ago

I won't say "Can't Stand", just not A-list or bang for the buck

STTNG, TSPP, CV, Tron

#168 10 years ago

Scared Stiff is easily my least favorite game in the top 20. It wouldn't even be in my top 50. That being said, I still kind of like it.

#169 10 years ago

Tron
Looks great, love the theme but for me the gameplay is pretty much meh.

#170 10 years ago

Also Funhouse.

And I don't think any game should be considered "A-List" until it have proben itself. Maybe at least 5 years. Many new games jump up the list at first, then sink like an Avengers thrown overboard.

#171 10 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Looks like Sttng will be host's choice.

I'll play it non-stop during practice and hope something breaks.

#172 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I absolutely hate Williams Indiana Jones. If I had to buy one under the terms that i could never sell it, i wouldn't pay more than $500 for it. Not one second of any game played for me even approached what i would consider fun.
I didn't pick this one because the op has that rated as a perfect 10, either. One mans trash...

Hahahha well. Guilty.

#173 10 years ago

Tron and Scared Stiff

#174 10 years ago

Totan has pretty much got through unscathed,what's going on?

#175 10 years ago

Nothing I can't stand. Indeed, I would like to own, if only for a couple of months, almost all of these games. Having said that, it's a much smaller number that I like enough to buy at current prices.

I suppose I have to be glad that some of my favorites are listed above. If everyone loved them, the prices would be considerably higher than they already are. I wonder if the happiest people in this hobby aren't the ones with the most idiosyncratic tastes.

#176 10 years ago

I gotta pile on TSPP. Have played it repeatedly, trying to get a feel for it but cannot get into it one bit.

#177 10 years ago

I can't believe anyone would say Scared Stiff. I personally find LOTR (if it's considered an "A" game) to be a bit like performing a chore rather than entertainment.

#178 10 years ago

TOTAN and Cirqus Voltaire for me.

#179 10 years ago

Lotr & SM. Those two are games that I just can't get into. Theme and long ball times are the primary reasons.

#180 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think we all know this, don't we?
I don't think we need a hate/bash thread to prove the point. The thread is titled "The Game You Can't Stand..."
Honestly I can't think of a pin I've played that I couldn't stand.

You obviously never played Champion Pub the. (;

#181 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

What!? CP is a fun game. Definitely different and unique from lots of others.

#182 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

What!? CP is a fun game. Definitely different and unique from lots of others

Agree with this. In fact I'm looking for one. It would be great in a larger collection. Very hard to find though!

#183 10 years ago

TAF or SS for me.

#184 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I know you are half joking, but yes, I have. It's different and not for me, but I would not say I couldn't stand it.

#185 10 years ago

Woz, SM and TZ.

#186 10 years ago

tron LE. I've played two and I just don't get it. I sold my tron standard and have no regrets.

#187 10 years ago

TOM,SS,TOTAN : mostly hated by me for design flaws but I play them if others want.

#188 10 years ago

AFM for me. It just seems like there is nothing to shoot at.

#189 10 years ago
Quoted from gac:

AFM for me. It just seems like there is nothing to shoot at.

You're doing it wrong.

#190 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You're doing it wrong.

#191 10 years ago

CV - drives me crazy. The ringmaster is the most annoying pinball toy period.

TAF - It looks pretty but I just dont love the gameplay. Showtime is cool the first 5 times.

DM - i know not an A lister. The only thing worse than looking at it is playing it.

#192 10 years ago

TZ. I was left bleeding and had stretch marks after playing.

#193 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

It's official, playing TZ is more painful than childbirth.

(I've actually grown to appreciate it over the years. TZ, that is. Not childbirth.)

#194 10 years ago

Surprised no one has said GNR yet.

#195 10 years ago

GNR rocks! There, I said GNR.

#196 10 years ago

O-din, I'm not hating on GNR, but surprised that no other pinsider has disliked it so far in this thread.

#197 10 years ago

Maybe GNR should be #1 then.

#198 10 years ago

GNR is number 28 on the top 100. Does it still makes it an A list title ?

#199 10 years ago

From what I saw a lot of people really hate TZ. Have not played it yet, will try for sure.

#200 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

For the record I don't hate TZ. Its not my favorite and I can take it or leave it.

I was more making a comment on other game critics that greatly exaggerate their dislike of a title. They will bash certain titles repeatedly and at any opportunity seemingly bewildered as to how anyone could possible like it. *groan*

How anyone can "hate" any game is beyond me. But then I do have birthing hips so...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
$ 45.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-game-you-cant-stand-that-is-supposed-to-be-an-a-list-machine/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.