(Topic ID: 52183)

The game you can't stand that is supposed to be an 'A-list' machine...

By zucot

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 238 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by kmoore88
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stirthepot.gif
th.jpeg
There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#102 10 years ago

For me it would be TAF...just dont see what all the fuss is about

#103 10 years ago

First of all, I could play any pin and have some fun and part of the journey in pindom is playing as many pins more and more to see if the initial impression changes, so far, if it was freezing and I had run out of fire wood I'd use the following pins in order.....

TAF
SS
TRON
AFM
METLE - Solely based on the music and videos I've seen......

#104 10 years ago

CV, IJ Williams, and TZ I do not like.....Sam I am.

#105 10 years ago

Creature from the black lagoon and cactus canyon, I can't stand those game!

#106 10 years ago

Sorry STNG does not hold my interest. Mostly because of the theme. I guess this is an A lister. No?

#107 10 years ago

In this order: IJ, TAF, TOTAN, and Tron.

I don't understand the love for any of these games.

#108 10 years ago

How did I miss another hate thread on Pinside??

Oh well...if you can't beat them..here are mine in order of hate.

TAF
Tron
AFM

All three equal zzzzzzzzzzzzz for me personally.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I like pinball...

Exactly.

I've found this thread to be painful to read. Downright cringeworthy at times.

#110 10 years ago

MB, CV, SS, IJ and CFTBL don't do anything for me.

Disregard this double post --- having some server issues on my end I think today for some reason.

Post edited by The_Director : double post

#111 10 years ago
#112 10 years ago

No matter how nice of an example I play I can't seem to get into these: TZ, MB or AFM

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.

I've found this thread to be painful to read. Downright cringeworthy at times

Yes and I still can't believe I participated in another one of these shit fests yet again.

#114 10 years ago

TOTAN
SS
CFTBL
CV

I'll pass on all 4 of these-no matter what the deal is.

#115 10 years ago

What exactly counts as A-list. Top 20? Top 50?

#116 10 years ago

I'm guilty of participating too, but in a perverse way it is useful, just goes to show there is no universally loved game, so don't take it personally when your favorite is thrown under the bus

#117 10 years ago

This thread is making Pinside slow again.

#118 10 years ago

Its actually helpful. When I got back into pinball I was lined up to but what my friends said were the two greatest games. TZ and TAF. In the meantime I went to their house and played them over and over and hated it. I was going to give up on the hobby thinking its not for me.
Then I found HS and realized not all games are for everyone.
So yes, for every game I don't like someone will love it. That's the moral of a thread like this.
"Like what you like" and its cool. Its not really about the bashing but about saying don't be sheepled and there are lots of great games for everyone out there.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

So yes, for every game I don't like someone will love it. That's the moral of a thread like this.
"Like what you like" and its cool. Its not really about the bashing but about saying don't be sheepled and there are lots of great games for everyone out there.

I think we all know this, don't we?

I don't think we need a hate/bash thread to prove the point. The thread is titled "The Game You Can't Stand..."

Honestly I can't think of a pin I've played that I couldn't stand.

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

There's only one for me so far: Twister

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Me either.

But, I know other people who are not like you. These people want to talk about it.

#122 10 years ago

Scared Stiff. Doesn't do a thing for me.

#123 10 years ago

CV is a fruit fest

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wanna come play The Six Million Dollar Man before I take it to auction?

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think we all know this, don't we?
I don't think we need a hate/bash thread to prove the point. The thread is titled "The Game You Can't Stand..."

Maybe I missed the part where you were forced to keep reading the thread after you opened it and decided it was 'painful' to read.

#127 10 years ago

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!????!!!??!! How can that be possible? Two of the greatest games ever made. Tell me your just kidding from one BigDaddy to another. I'm rubbing my eyes but, the words are not changing.

#128 10 years ago

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Me neither..........now someone sell me one....cheap!

#130 10 years ago

ACDC. I don't enjoy it much at all; Steve Ritchie's most dull game in a couple decades at least.

Monster Bash is a solid B for me; I understand why people love it, but as a package it just doesn't gel for me. Same with any game with Elvira on it for that matter.

#131 10 years ago

I guess WH2O is an "A-lister" now that it's #16. I don't hate it, but the poor audio quality forced me to sell it. I still enjoy playing it at friends' houses, but I'd never own it again.

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Maybe I missed the part where you were forced to keep reading the thread after you opened it and decided it was 'painful' to read.

Maybe I missed the part where I was precluded from stating my opinion regarding the stupidity of the thread?

#133 10 years ago

I like how about 50% of the pins listed in this thread are not "A-Listers"......at least not on mine

WOZ, Metallica, TSPP, Funhouse, CFTBL......

WOZ and Metallica are not even on a list yet.

#134 10 years ago

AFM and IJ.

I love the look of the AFM playfield and love the theme but the play feels so meh to me.

#135 10 years ago

I don't hate TZ, but I would play many other games ahead of it.

#136 10 years ago

It looks like they did!

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Maybe I missed the part where I was precluded from stating my opinion regarding the stupidity of the thread?

If we all followed that rule it would be very quiet here.

#138 10 years ago

I don't think there is any full fledged pin I can't stand, but there are some that I don't enjoy as much as I feel like I am supposed to: CFTBL, CV and TAF. I think they are fun still, I just don't like them nearly as much as the community seems to.

I used to feel that way about TZ too, but I have come around on that one, maybe I will come around eventually on these as well.

-ben

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I like how about 50% of the pins listed in this thread are not "A-Listers"

To me an "A list" pin is one I can't afford or is way overpriced for what it is, and that list is getting bigger every day.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Touche. Carry on.

#141 10 years ago

I agree that the love/hate rating thing is a bit silly. It's like trying to decide which shoes you should wear or what is the best food. Different things for different folks.

This thread caught my eye because when it comes to the price - None of the "Cookie Cutter Collection" suits me. Even the ones I own I would not find worth getting again at today's prices. I call them "cookie cutters" because they are EVERYWHERE. Love 'em or hate them, if you go to parties, tourneys or shows, you are going to end up playing them.

If you are looking to impress with your personal collection (a bad idea to begin with). Find games that are unique and cool.

That said, as far as "can't stand" goes... not sure if that is in my pinball vocabulary. I can find *some* fun in just about any game.

#142 10 years ago

I agree that there are pins that just don't grab me... but it's typically because I just don't have enough play time on them. I also find that it depends on my mood and where I'm playing it (I've found it hard to enjoy pins when you can hear/understand the call outs in loud locations)... I played Big Hurt on location for the first time a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I tired it again about a month ago and really could have cared less.

Enjoy what ya like

Post edited by 27dnast

#143 10 years ago

STTNG. To me it's always felt like a would-be great game that was forced to be wide for no good reason. Here's my recipe to turn it into a fun, standard width machine:

Remove the cannons which require those oversized, misshapen slingshots with dead spots on the kicking side. Put in normal slings, inlanes & outlanes. Remove the middle scoop shot. Make the neutral zone narrower by removing the two standups.

Modes can start in the neutral zone, and multiball jackpots are no longer "scoop up the middle" ad infinitum.

#144 10 years ago
#145 10 years ago

Of the "A list," my least favorite is ACDC, mainly because of the theme/music tracks. That noise just grinds my gears. However, the game plays fine just fine. I just don't like the band.

A very close second (and honestly more deserving of my least favorite spot) would be Scared Stiff. That game puts me to sleep. It's not that I would walk away from the game without finishing all 3 balls... it is just that I can't stay awake for an entire game. I have tried my best, but I always wake up on the floor with people staring over me wondering if I am alright.

Actually, now that I think about it, I need to get a SS to have on standby if I am having trouble sleeping... like if one of my other games has a credit dot and I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of a part to fix said credit dot. I guess I would have to keep it in my bedroom so I would fall on my bed instead of crashing in the floor of the gameroom.

#146 10 years ago

By definition this thread is going to lend support to people that don't like certain so-called "A" list games. So while I disagree with much that has been written, I'll join the fun and pile on.

STTNG. I owned this for 6 years. It was a pretty nice example. Never got much play. Traded it for a TZ and haven't looked back.

Oh, btw, TZ rules

#147 10 years ago

Tron. I really really really want to like it because I love the theme and art. But I find the game unimaginative, mechanically speaking.

IJ 2nd. I love my IJ. Love the movies. But a deep game? No.

#148 10 years ago

Star Trek The Next Generation

Really can't stand it. Can't stand the way it looks. Can't stand the music. Can't stand the messup the two guns make. And why two guns in the first place.

#149 10 years ago

LOL, most of the games people are listing here are the ones I like the most. I must have some uncanny taste in pins I suppose.

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Star Trek The Next Generation
Really can't stand it. Can't stand the way it looks. Can't stand the music. Can't stand the messup the two guns make. And why two guns in the first place

I don't really like the theme of ST;TNG, but I really enjoy the game the more I play it. The Picard Manouver is one of the best shots in pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.50
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-game-you-cant-stand-that-is-supposed-to-be-an-a-list-machine/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.