(Topic ID: 95000)

the game room guys tried to screw me !!!!

By jrush2112

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kidchrisso
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

imagesTYQC7NX5.jpg
    th-1-542.jpeg
    main-junk-car.jpg
    1936419_111920141985_4538869_n.jpg
    Fp1V0FI.gif
    tumblr_m55msiaxKv1rxh1u4o1_500.gif
    image.jpg

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

I highly doubt this happened. For one retail businesses are known for giving you minimal for your games and turning around and selling for profit. Wow, profit, this is a business not UNICEF.

LOL Ditto as this just doesn't sound right.

#52 4 years ago

I did happened I saw the e-mails from gmg to the seller . why would I lie ??? They offer him $6000 for 2 pins mint tspp and a mint DW sw. And then came with an offer of $7000.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

I highly doubt this happened. For one retail businesses are known for giving you minimal for your games and turning around and selling for profit. Wow, profit, this is a business not UNICEF.

Quoted from Pinfidel:

LOL Ditto as this just doesn't sound right.

I wonder if the seller is trying to cover up issues with the game. This way once you find them he will start yelling, I had another buyer who offered me more money. I use to think every time I bought a game the seller was screwing me once I got it, Sometimes that was the case and sometimes the seller's idea of restored and my idea of restored are very very different. If it doesn't look like it just came out of the box or better it's not restored IMO! Another words here's my restored car.

main-junk-car.jpg

#54 4 years ago

Aren't the GRG's on here? I'm sure they've seen this post. Like to see what they say and wonder why they haven't commented yet.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

GRG buys machines at over market value, then sells to home owners (not a lot of dealer transactions) Because, in most cases, it is easier to find a machine with a higher asking price, than of a deal...........They probably have high traffic for pinball machines, and need to get inventory speedily.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrush2112:

I gave the guy $4000 that's what he was asking for a huo tspp. Grguys calls him after that an says he under priced the game by $400-500. So I did not try to take advantage of the guy I think gave him a fair price for it . grguy s I think we re trying to put a Kabosh on my sale so they could get the game and sell for alot more .

Exactly what you should have paid. Informed seller. Informed buyer. HUO TSPP is not a $5000 machine... Unless its a vault edition

#57 4 years ago

I ran this through a few dialect translators in order to try and understand it a bit better, here are the results:

elmer fudd:
    "A pewson was sewwing two pinbawws. he new vewy wittwe about pinbaww machines. I gave him what he wanted fow one game. aftew I made deaw wif him the game woom guys caww him and teww him that he undew pwiced the game I bought by $400-500. A offews him $6000 fow bof games. And aftew he send pic to them. they offew him $7000. he said no he's a man of his wowd. they didn't cawe about me scwew them. now the man has one game to seww and I wiww twy to hewp him seww it."

jive:
    "A sucka' wuz sellin' two pinballs. he new real little about pinball machines. ah' gave him whut he wants'ed fo' one game. afta' I made deal wid him de game room dudes call him and tell him dat he unda' priced da damn game ah' bought by $400-500. A offers him $6000 fo' bod games. And afta' he drow pic t'dem. dey offa' him $7000. he said no he's some man uh his wo'd.dey dun didn't care about me. screw dem. now de joker has one game t'sell and ah' gots'ta try t'help him sell it."

and my personal favorite, redneck (although, it could also be considered 'yosemite sam'):
    "A varmint was sellin' two pinballs. he noo mighty li'l about pinball machines. ah gave him whut he wanted fo' one game. af'er ah made deal wif him th' game room guys call him an' tell him thet he unner priced th' game ah bought by $400-500. A offers him $6000 fo' both games. An' af'er he send pic t'them, dawgone it. they offer him $7000. he said no he's a man of his wo'd, cuss it all t' tarnation. they didn't care about me. screw them, dawgone it. now th' man has one game t'sell an' ah will try t'he'p him sell it."

#58 4 years ago

simpler translation...

i found a sucker who was selling a pin below value... while i was trying to fleece said sucker, someone else offered more... ergo, that "someone else" is trying to screw me (while i conveniently ignore the fact that i'm trying to screw the seller)....

#59 4 years ago

wow just wow don't ever say pinsider's just have too much time on their hands! I wont buy it

#60 4 years ago

4500 is not market value. Mine sat at that price for months. I finally traded it for my huo xm pro with shaker. OP wasn't trying to screw anyone. He paid market value.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

GRG doesn't buy low and sell high, they buy high and sell crazy high.

#62 4 years ago

I'll never deal with them again. Telling a seller he "underpriced" his machines in hopes of screwing the buyer seems incredibly hypocritical. They didn't have any problem charging me $75.00 for two upgrade chips for my TSPP.

In the first example, they are trying to "help" someone who admitted to being uninformed.
    In the other---they are trying to screw someone who admitted to being uninformed

#63 4 years ago

I had no problem understanding what the OP posted. It didn't come off as a complaint to me as much as a warning on the practices of The Game Room Guys. I also don't see anything wrong with the topics title (though it may have been edited from earlier). Yes, it sounds like The Game Room Guys TRIED to screw him out of an already finalized transaction by offering the seller more money. I'm sure it wasn't personal and they probably didn't know who the OP was....but it's still a shady tactic, anyway you look at it. It boils down to "I can't get it!...but I want it! I'll throw more money at it and get my way!"

It does sound like the seller was a class act for sticking with the OP and the original asking price.

Fair market value or not, the seller had an asking price and the OP agreed to pay that price. If the seller was uninformed and way low on the price (which it doesn't sound like he was) he should make himself informed before selling and stating an asking price. I wouldn't lose one wink of sleep by buying a BBB for $300 if someone posted it for sale for that. Setting the price is the sellers responsibility.

#64 4 years ago

Thank you dugfreez u get it.!!!!

#65 4 years ago

That is one tasty burger!
    th-1-542.jpeg

#66 4 years ago

Date rape?

8 months later
    #67 4 years ago

I purchased my first pin from GRG. I had nothing but good things to say. The power supply blew on the pin and they replaced within a few days, I already had the pin for a couple months. I purchased a Secret Service and I thought I paid a fair price for it plus it was in great condition.

#68 4 years ago

I've bought two nib games from gameroom guys and never had any problems , smooth transactions and no issues with any of the pins .

#69 4 years ago

Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead. Sure did make me giggle.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Monarca1091:

I've bought two nib games from gameroom guys and never had any problems , smooth transactions and no issues with any of the pins .

You paid about $500 to $1000 to much depending what you bought.

#71 4 years ago

imagesTYQC7NX5.jpg

#72 4 years ago

Can someone please get the baby his bottle? What a lame ass topic....

GRG are a business. End of story.

BTW....if you love pinball and aren't a total price nerd GRG provide a lot of value. They do the leg work for you and are reliable if anything goes wrong. I'd happily spend a few hundred extra bucks to know my purchase is secure and covered in the event of any mishaps then haggle with some dipshit on Craigslist who will have zero accountability so I can save a nickel.

#73 4 years ago

I've also bought two machines from them and they were great to work with. One was a NIB that came straight from Stern and they not only took the machine in but made sure everything worked. Something wasn't working right and they hung around for an hour with Stern customer support and got it working (loose wire was the culprit).

They also tracked down a machine I was having trouble finding. They were extremely honest on the condition, took a ton of hi-res pics, and were upfront on the pricing. Obviously paid more for it but the fact they deliver and setup everything is worth some money to me (I hate renting a van and driving 2 hours each way to pickup a machine). They also have a 30-day warranty on their machines which you're not going to get from your average seller.

There is nothing shady about offering someone more money for their product.

#74 4 years ago

Generally, I don't have much use for retail outfits. There are a few who are wonderful assets to the hobby, but I've heard this same story from a few different people about this vendor. I believe they tried to swoop in on a deal I had made with a guy, but my seller also stood firm on his deal with me in the face of their phone calls to him, trying to persuade him to sell the game to them instead. Even when the seller had told them that I had rented a van and was on the way - driving the 100+ miles to get there, they said they could get there before me, and would give the seller an extra 50 bucks.

To me, that's not "business", that's sleazy. Good on the seller for sticking to our deal (which was really just my agreement to pay his full asking price).

#75 4 years ago

retail store or not... it's down to people and general social ethics.

There is nothing ethically wrong from buying a product from someone for their asking price - ever. Good deals do not mean you screwed someone over. There is nothing wrong with even negotiating a little off that price. It's not your job to figure out why a seller is pricing an item or to educate them about what they own.

What is also wrong is for someone to go out of their way to

1) try to buy a product out from under someone else regardless if the deal has already been made. Some would disagree. Unless the seller specifically said first-come etc
    2) calling someone to tell them their product is priced wrong but not have any intention of buying it themselves. Price policing for the sake of good is about as Dbaggery as it gets and does not make you a hero to anyone but your own ego. I can't imagine anyone doing that in any other hobby or business ... and if you told someone you did that to another person, you would be looked at like a leper.
    3) point out items on a product and start deducting large amounts after the fact and screwing the seller and trying to screw over a seller on the spot.

#76 4 years ago

Yaaawn...

What do you call 4 lepers in a jacuzzi ??

A STEW

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doostur:

Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead. Sure did make me giggle.

That would be me....lol.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from Monarca1091:

I don't think NIB apply to this topic. No issues with any of the pins, No because they are new and stern will fix any issues not The GRG.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Generally, I don't have much use for retail outfits. There are a few who are wonderful assets to the hobby, but I've heard this same story from a few different people about this vendor. I believe they tried to swoop in on a deal I had made with a guy, but my seller also stood firm on his deal with me in the face of their phone calls to him, trying to persuade him to sell the game to them instead. Even when the seller had told them that I had rented a van and was on the way - driving the 100+ miles to get there, they said they could get there before me, and would give the seller an extra 50 bucks.
    To me, that's not "business", that's sleazy. Good on the seller for sticking to our deal (which was really just my agreement to pay his full asking price).

A few years back the same thing happened on a transaction I was involved in. The seller and I agreed to meet within the hour (I was his first email), but he was inexperienced and gave out his address to the 2nd emailer...GRG. They showed up before me unannounced with the "well we were here first so sell us the pins." The seller realized his mistake and they actually got into a verbal argument ending in "Who the f*** do you think you are? Get the f*** off my property!"

I was unaware of all of this when I showed up and the seller was still fired up about it. Said he learned his lesson about not giving out contact info until necessary. He was completely cool with me though. It was one of those where I went for a quick purchase/pickup and ended up hanging out in his shop drinking beer. I love those runs.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

I don't think NIB apply to this topic. No issues with any of the pins, No because they are new and stern will fix any issues not The GRG.

Very true!

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

simpler translation...
    i found a sucker who was selling a pin below value... while i was trying to fleece said sucker, someone else offered more... ergo, that "someone else" is trying to screw me (while i conveniently ignore the fact that i'm trying to screw the seller)....

There is only negotiation.
    We live in a free-will universe,
    they can sell or not sell games to whoever they want.
    If someone breaks their word, that's not cool, but it's always free-will to do so or not.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

If the GRG would have offered him more that you did and paid it, then your price would not have been "fair market value".....would it? It was only your offer.

no, he could still be market value and they could very well choose to pay above that.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

There is only negotiation.
    If someone breaks their word, that's not cool, but it's always free-will to do so or not.

What if someone breaks their word because they found out they were getting ripped off?

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

no, he could still be market value and they could very well choose to pay above that.

Market value is what the item would fetch on the open market. Since the GRG were willing to pay above what the OP was willing to pay, GRG's offer was market value, and what the OP paid was what he thought was fair for the game. Which I think the OP paid a totally fair price.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

What if someone breaks their word because they found out they were getting ripped off?

It doesn't matter what the situation is, if a deal is struck and you give someone your word, you should stick to it. There are always exceptions, but this is the rule that I live by.

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It doesn't matter what the situation is, if a deal is struck and you give someone your word, you should stick to it. There are always exceptions, but this is the rule that I live by.

I disagree.

It's never OK to rip someone off.

#87 4 years ago

My friends is ready to pull the trigger on a NIB, and he was thinking of GRG.

This thread has killed the sale for them.

If they are sleazy in these stories, why bother risking getting in a arrangement with them.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I disagree.
    It's never OK to rip someone off.

I didn't say it was okay to rip someone off, just made the point that I am a man of my word, and I expect everyone I encounter to be as well. It is only common courtesy.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Market value is what the item would fetch on the open market. Since the GRG were willing to pay above what the OP was willing to pay, GRG's offer was market value, and what the OP paid was what he thought was fair for the game. Which I think the OP paid a totally fair price.

Ive overpaid above market for games because I wanted it now. The fact I was willing ot overpay does not mean what I paid was the market price. In order to guarantee I got that game at that time I paid above the market. No single sale sets market.

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

Ive overpaid above market for games because I wanted it now. The fact I was willing ot overpay does not mean what I paid was the market price. In order to guarantee I got that game at that time I paid above the market. No single sale sets market.

You are confused. What you did was the definition of paying market value for the game. Market value is defined as the amount something can be sold for on any given market. There is no setting of market, there is only a buyer and a seller. The buyer always pays market price, the seller always gets market price. You can do research and come up with a range that you think is fair to pay for that game, but the market value of that game is not determined until the money changes hands.

In your situation the market was you and however many other potential buyers that were interested in that game. You paid market price and got the game. The market dictated that in order for you to get that game you needed to pay a certain price and you paid it. The fact that historical sale prices for that game and other people's opinions of the price you paid says you overpaid, it doesn't change the fact that you paid market value for that game.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

You are confused. What you did was the definition of paying market value for the game. Market value is defined as the amount something can be sold for on any given market. There is no setting of market, there is only a buyer and a seller. The buyer always pays market price, the seller always gets market price. You can do research and come up with a range that you think is fair to pay for that game, but the market value of that game is not determined until the money changes hands.
    In your situation the market was you and however many other potential buyers that were interested in that game. You paid market price and got the game. The market dictated that in order for you to get that game you needed to pay a certain price and you paid it. The fact that historical sale prices for that game and other people's opinions of the price you paid says you overpaid, it doesn't change the fact that you paid market value for that game.

not at all confused. I paid out of line, its a very easy concept. I've also paid well below market for games.

#92 4 years ago

I don't get the problems listed here. It sounds like most of the issues are with the sellers not keeping their word or being inexperienced, not the buyers. The grg guys don't know who else is interested in the pins and is just trying to buy them. Maybe they are too aggressive but I would think they need to be in order to run a business like that.

#93 4 years ago

If supply is low and demand is high then the price of the good will be high. That is the economic reality of the current pinball market. I am relatively new to the hobby (4-5 years) and even in that short period of time I have had to adjust my expectation of market value significantly particularly if I want a nice example of a particular pinball machine. The market for pinball machines has become a very competitive and potentially lucrative which encourages behavior that some may find otherwise unacceptable. Unfortunately there are no rules or laws to govern that behavior and each of us operate under different moral and ethical standards.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't get the problems listed here. It sounds like most of the issues are with the sellers not keeping their word or being inexperienced, not the buyers. The grg guys don't know who else is interested in the pins and is just trying to buy them. Maybe they are too aggressive but I would think they need to be in order to run a business like that.

In my case, it was the company mentioned in the OP actively trying to get a seller to break a deal we had - while I was on the road making a 100 mile trip.

That's not 'aggressive'. That's douchebaggery.

The seller told me there was never any chance of that happening. He said if someone did that to him, he would, and I quote "Punch them in the fucking nose.".

#95 4 years ago

All the more reason NOT to buy from "flippers"
    I will never buy anything from GRG, among a few other sellers
    Shady people are everywhere, if we stop giving them business by refusing to sell to or buy from they will conform or be forced out of business

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

In my case, it was the company mentioned in the OP actively trying to get a seller to break a deal we had - while I was on the road making a 100 mile trip.
    That's not 'aggressive'. That's douchebaggery.
    The seller told me there was never any chance of that happening. He said if someone did that to him, he would, and I quote "Punch them in the fucking nose.".

we had a deal and they knew a deal was made and tried to break it.no more needs to be said.think what you want,this under-handed street dealing bullshit.buy a pin from them? not me

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

we had a deal and they knew a deal was made and tried to break it.no more needs to be said.think what you want,this under-handed street dealing bullshit.buy a pin from them? not me

The old saying that applies here is "Don't shit where you eat.".

Roughly paraphrased.

#98 4 years ago

I purchased a NIB METLE from them with out any issue. Even got a discount for paying in CA$H! They also took care of me on the new board for it when the hammer magnet was having issues. I would buy again from them.

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside