(Topic ID: 328495)

The Future of Stern, for better or worse...

By VisitorQ

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinStalker
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6D82EA88-1175-43BA-B64A-CF1D2810FAD3.gif
    27B04876-BD8D-4813-A032-EA77D49D3E6D (resized).jpeg
    Star Gazer (resized).png
    D9E898E6-B548-46AB-818D-CCE04A2996A6 (resized).jpeg
    76FAB790-F6DB-4D9E-9673-BDC3832AD650 (resized).jpeg
    Delivers (resized).jpg
    Rudy-Benson (resized).jpg
    103CA633-6244-4237-8C84-492DF8960108 (resized).jpeg
    3BF21EE0-5FE5-46B9-A41C-7C90FE600275 (resized).jpeg
    gfgfg (resized).jpg
    6183067C-ED59-4134-817F-A8121B4ED7B3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ray-dude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 1 year ago

I fear we're moving into a "Computer chips, potato chips, it doesn't matter, it's a business" era. I hope George and the creative team are able to keep the passion for the games burning bright for the company, because I suspect the passion elsewhere will be for game business models, not games. Without a strong creative core in the studio (which George and team definitely have), it will become a very different company.

If I were JJP or Spooky, there is a huge opportunity here to lead with passion for the games (and crazy quality and polish). They will never win against economies of scale and manufacturing prowess, but they will win by being premium products and brands that all of us would line up to pay a premium for.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Have you played or even seen Toy Story? You think that's passion?

Quoted from Aurich:

You think Spooky is the company of "crazy quality"?

I agree 1000%!

I would never consider buying a Spooky game, and as a huge Lawlor and Toy Story fan, my disappointment in TS4 after the jewel that was GnR is beyond words.

That being said, there is a window for them to get their focus together and claim the space Stern doesn’t have and doesn’t need to take. If they try to go head to head on manufacturing, distribution, volume, or IP leverage, they will lose.

If they are able to pivot and claim the high ground for passion and quality? There is a real niche there, esp at these prices. Let Stern take the operator market with their Pros, go for the premium home market with things that blow the Stern premiums and LEs away

Stern is going to continue to chase volume, and drive margin with high priced premium offers that aren’t high value. Someone needs to step up and compete with premium offers that are high value, or Stern will keep pushing margin over value, and hopefully JJP or Spooky (or long shot CGC) is up to it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ray-dude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-future-of-stern-for-better-or-worse?tu=ray-dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.