5982E109-00E1-4330-ACD8-1681D0445BE9 (resized).jpeg
B0A4BE23-49E3-4A50-A694-64568071DBBA (resized).jpeg
6E1E6D5F-9791-4E67-BBFA-5737151C645B (resized).jpeg
CB9512ED-8948-42D2-883D-6E9463DA9750 (resized).png
753DAFAC-BB8B-42AC-9207-FB152ABCA154 (resized).png
IMG_2764 (resized).jpeg
FF_LE_arrival (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,920 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 99.
#2551 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I could see them adding it with a mini node board (so the feature is lock-able like the projector in STh) for the $399.99 I've been joking about. Maybe $70 worth of parts (liberally estimated, probably way less in quantity) would give them a huge margin and almost all Pro owners would want it.

This might not be the exact thread for this question but I know you are knowledgeable and discussing stern tech stuff can you explain why someone hasn’t been able to reverse engineer the expression lighting kits with like a pinstadiums style product? It is code or some code board that’s attached the the lights themselves?

#2552 1 year ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

This might not be the exact thread for this question but I know you are knowledgeable and discussing stern tech stuff can you explain why someone hasn’t been able to reverse engineer the expression lighting kits with like a pinstadiums style product? It is code or some code board that’s attached the the lights themselves?

I haven't messed with it, but it's likely because the board that drives them is considered a node board and I don't think anyone has broken the communication system for node boards on Spike2, plus it has a custom programmed chip on that node. Without the node communication protocols and the code from that chip, it can't be done, though someone may eventually figure it out.

#2553 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I haven't messed with it, but it's likely because the board that drives them is considered a node board and I don't think anyone has broken the communication system for node boards on Spike2, plus it has a custom programmed chip on that node. Without the node communication protocols and the code from that chip, it can't be done, though someone may eventually figure it out.

Jabdoas come close for MPF, although the protocol has changed since he did the work, we suspect when insider connect was released. We've successfully intercepted and decoded switch data on the new protocol, and close to working out lamps, although as you say, a lot of the display smarts are built into the board fw itself which complicates it.

#2554 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Jaddoas come close for MPF, although the protocol has changed since he did the work, we suspect when insider connect was released. We've successfully intercepted and decoded switch data on the new protocol, and close to working out lamps, although as you say, a lot of the display smarts are built into the board fw itself which complicates it.

Yeah, there's a LOT to unpack. I knew progress had been made on parts of it, but nowhere close to enough to do an expression lighting replacement yet.

If you can manage that, it will make your Neo Tokyo Sign wait list look insignificant by comparison.

#2555 1 year ago

Fantastic news!

Will take this game to another level.

Dave call outs

#2556 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Fantastic news!

" or you can search for used machines from reputable pinball dealers"

Yeah, good luck with that on Foo Fighters for a while...

#2557 1 year ago

Thoughts?

Do you think there will be art blades with interactive lighting add on (similar to LE) for premiums?

--looks like inside cabinet on premiums has material that is not solid black, maybe recess for electrical wiring / interactive lighting?

Hope can upgrade as I'm in on premium, but that lighting looked great on stream!

#2558 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Fantastic news!
Dave call outs

That sounds great.
As long as they don't have outdated info.
JD explained on his recent Pro FF stream that they didn't do callouts because at that time the band was morning Tyler and they didn't think it was right. But he did say "you never know"

So I'm not sure which is correct

#2559 1 year ago
Quoted from Zeusflurry:

Thoughts?
Do you think there will be art blades with interactive lighting add on (similar to LE) for premiums?
--looks like inside cabinet on premiums has material that is not solid black, maybe recess for electrical wiring / interactive lighting?
Hope can upgrade as I'm in on premium, but that lighting looked great on stream!

It's called expression lighting and you will be able buy the upgrade in the premium. There will also be side art blades (with cutouts) you can put in the premium. They are two separate products.

It may not be readily available when you get your game, as Rush owners are still waiting to buy/receive their lighting kits.

#2560 1 year ago
Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

What really ticks me off is that I called one of the distributors listing the for $17,999.00 on ebay and was told it had no more LE’s left for sale. It appears that they would rather horde them and sell at an obscene markup. Stern should hammer these distributors. What gets me is that they even have the balls to state they are an official stern dealer in the ebay ads.

Which distributor? Good to file in the memory bank and not support them for other sales.

#2561 1 year ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

It's called expression lighting and you will be able buy the upgrade in the premium. There will also be side art blades (with cutouts) you can put in the premium. They are two separate products.
It may not be readily available when you get your game, as Rush owners are still waiting to buy/receive their lighting kits.

When is Stern going to make and offer expression light kits? Rush and Zeppelin premium buyers must be pissed. Soon they will be joined by FF premium buyers. Stern has yet to offer expression light kits for sale. That is pitiful record, and then to release another game with them is, oh boy, a bad decision. Availability of expression light kits was the chief reason I decided against FF premium model. It is ridiculous that one can’t depend on Stern to offer them in a timely fashion. And it has impacted one potential premium sale.

#2562 1 year ago

Think I just found a great idea for the FF translite Not a big fan of the van so plan to make my own version.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2563 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

When is Stern going to make and offer expression light kits? Rush and Zeppelin premium buyers must be pissed. Soon they will be joined by FF premium buyers. Stern has yet to offer expression light kits for sale. That is pitiful record, and then to release another game with them is, oh boy, a bad decision. Availability of expression light kits was the chief reason I decided against FF premium model. It is ridiculous that one can’t depend on Stern to offer them in a timely fashion. And it has impacted one potential premium sale.

Stern hasn't released ELs for Rush, nor has it released any accessories so far more than a year after releasing the game. No accessories for Bond yet either and no toppers for GZ Rush or Bond. I'm hopeful the new factory will give them capacity to make more accessories soon.

#2564 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Stern hasn't released ELs for Rush, nor has it released any accessories so far more than a year after releasing the game. No accessories for Bond yet either and no toppers for GZ Rush or Bond. I'm hopeful the new factory will give them capacity to make more accessories soon.

I honestly could care less about them focusing on accessories in any capacity, other than the EL kits for games that can use them, that really sucks for premium owners. Leave the toppers, shooter rods, etc for the modding community and Stern should focus on making better pinballs with better code instead of milking people for overpriced crap.
Fire the dude that makes toppers, fire the dude that makes shooter rods and hire some coders to make current and past games better!

#2565 1 year ago
Quoted from Gryszzz: I remember telling her "If you wanna grab his ass, I understand " haha

Well, did she?

#2566 1 year ago

I’ve never purchased a banner before but “it just moved “

#2567 1 year ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Fire the dude that makes toppers, fire the dude that makes shooter rods and hire some coders to make current and past games better!

… and fire the guy who is supposed to make EL kits and hire someone who can get er done. It is early March and I see no reason Stern couldn’t order 3k expression kits, take delivery and ship them to distro’s by October. Maybe they hate us all and don’t care. Hopefully, they love us as we are their customers, and they will refocus their efforts on the goal to get the EL kits into distro inventories, stat.

#2568 1 year ago

Same with ( and even more egregious) toppers . When you make about 1/2 as many toppers as total number of LE’s alone - just bad bUsiness .

#2569 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Think I just found a great idea for the FF translite Not a big fan of the van so plan to make my own version. [quoted image]

I like it but feel like the alien OL should be bigger . Maybe shrink Foobot a little and put AOL in opposition to him . That would be pretty cool !

#2570 1 year ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I honestly could care less about them focusing on accessories in any capacity, other than the EL kits for games that can use them, that really sucks for premium owners. Leave the toppers, shooter rods, etc for the modding community and Stern should focus on making better pinballs with better code instead of milking people for overpriced crap.

I’ll add propriety replacement parts like node boards to the mix—especially for older Spike games. If Stern doesn’t get this done, or license it to someone else, we’re all going to be screwed in a few years.

#2571 1 year ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

Same with ( and even more egregious) toppers . When you make about 1/2 as many toppers as total number of LE’s alone - just bad bUsiness .

chip shortage. I believe same chips used for toppers and expression lights are used for the node boards in the pins right? So with a limited number of chips, they can make more pins, or make accessories... What expands their TAM more?

#2572 1 year ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I’ll add propriety replacement parts like node boards to the mix—especially for older Spike games. If Stern doesn’t get this done, or license it to someone else, we’re all going to be screwed in a few years.

Always been one of my biggest concerns about owning pins.. most seem to make stuff work but 20 years from now when something breaks am I screwed?

#2573 1 year ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Always been one of my biggest concerns about owning pins.. most seem to make stuff work but 20 years from now when something breaks am I screwed?

There is such a large amount of Spike2 games that it is inevitable that there will be replacement boards made at some point, either by Stern or a 3rd party. I can't fathom 1000s of pins being out of order and the technically skilled community not coming up with something for node board replacements.

#2574 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I assume you mean for MSRP (plus tax, and maybe shipping) because LEs for $2-3k+ over MSRP are available. If MSRP LE is your goal, start calling, using this list as your guide:
https://sternpinball.com/find-a-dealer/
If you exhaust that, try the US distributors:
https://sternpinball.com/find-a-distributor/

Patience. Delivery stage isn’t here yet and the dealer hoarders/flipper bunch have squeezed and exacerbated things in the short term. Any panic is ridiculous.

The sharks smell blood in the water and the feeding frenzy will be over as delivery hits.

The reality bus is coming and you will be able to find one if you like soon enough for MSRP or below

This is the “hype thread”. I’m giving you the anti hype option

#2575 1 year ago

Im a little confused. Does this mean the LE doesnt have Expression lighting? (still not sure what that is)

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 9.36.20 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-03-05 at 9.36.20 AM (resized).png
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2576 1 year ago

But then the flyer says this

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 9.40.32 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-03-05 at 9.40.32 AM (resized).png
#2577 1 year ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Im a little confused. Does this mean the LE doesnt have Expression lighting? (still not sure what that is)
[quoted image]

included in LE, optional add-on for premium. matrix might be confusing in its checkboxes. has an asterisks for "sold separately" for the prem

#2578 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

included in LE, optional add-on for premium. matrix might be confusing in its checkboxes. has an asterisks for "sold separately" for the prem

Gotcha...thanks

#2579 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

It says “ LE exclusive “ . While I believe they will sell kits for the premium the degradation of language and word meaning in general - but specifically in marketing and sales is extremely irritating. The fact that examples of this are almost unlimited is why you trust no one whom wants your money no matter what they’re selling.

#2580 1 year ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

It says “ LE exclusive “ . While I believe they will sell kits for the premium the degradation of language and word meaning in general - but specifically in marketing and sales is extremely irritating. The fact that examples of this are almost unlimited is why you trust no one whom wants your money no matter what they’re selling.

The "LE exclusive" in that previous screenshot is referring to the art blades.

"Limited Edition exclusive inside art blades hand drawn artwork by Zombie Yeti WITH (key word for the marketing) Expression Lighting System.

#2581 1 year ago

They lumped it in under the same bullet point after the exclusive qualifier . If it’s a separate feature and not exclusive to the LE it should have had its own bullet point stating it’s an option that will available for purchase as a kit but included in this model . Semantics , I know , but it still irritates me.

#2582 1 year ago
Quoted from pinbuoy:

That sounds great.
As long as they don't have outdated info.
JD explained on his recent Pro FF stream that they didn't do callouts because at that time the band was morning Tyler and they didn't think it was right. But he did say "you never know"
So I'm not sure which is correct

That info does just say Dave Grohl callouts, so hoping it is up to date.

I was on the fence about owning a FF, but Grohl callouts make me 100% on getting one.

Will take this game to the next level.

#2583 1 year ago

EL kits come installed on LE’s for Zeppelin, Rush and now FF. Each title comes with custom side blades with cutouts for each light. The games do not look good with lights and without side blades. So if you buy EL kit for your prem’s for Zeppelin, Rush or FF you still need side blades.

Of course nobody has ever received the EL kits to date, so they don’t realize this. What are EL buyers for prem’s supposed to do regarding buying side blades?

#2584 1 year ago

EL kits come installed on LE’s for Zeppelin, Rush and now FF. Each has a custom side blades with cutouts for each light. The games do not look good with lights and without side blades. So if you buy EL kit for your prem’s for Zeppelin, Rush or FF you still need side blades
Of course nobody has ever received the EL kits so they don’t realize this. What are EL buyers for prem’s supposed to do regarding side blades?

The art is included with the expression light kit. This is the case for the only officially released expression light kit for zep.

#2585 1 year ago

EL kits come installed on LE’s for Zeppelin, Rush and now FF. Each title comes with custom side blades with cutouts for each light. The games do not look good with lights and without side blades. So if you buy EL kit for your prem’s for Zeppelin, Rush or FF you still need side blades.
Of course nobody has ever received the EL kits to date, so they don’t realize this. What are EL buyers for prem’s supposed to do regarding buying side blades?

I believe LZ premium came with ELs, this could partially explain why Rush has been delayed as they needed the parts for the final LZ run and now FF LEs… LZ kits for pros were also sold and some have put those in their Rush premium even though the art doesn’t match.

#2586 1 year ago

No, so I did.

#2587 1 year ago

I was at a KROQ xmas concert in LA and when No Doubt went on, Gavin Rossdale sat in an empty seat next to us. Next to him was a big dude I guessed was security, so no butts were touched, but my buddy was totally star struck and squealed like a girl the whole time.

#2588 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:I was at a KROQ xmas concert in LA and when No Doubt went on, Gavin Rossdale sat in an empty seat next to us. Next to him was a big dude I guessed was security, so no butts were touched, but my buddy was totally star struck and squealed like a girl the whole time.

Sad.

#2589 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

I was at a KROQ xmas concert in LA and when No Doubt went on, Gavin Rossdale sat in an empty seat next to us. Next to him was a big dude I guessed was security, so no butts were touched, but my buddy was totally star struck and squealed like a girl the whole time.

Who the F is that? Lol

Pump and Dump scheme

#2590 1 year ago

Yeah well this same guy also had a SPZERO license plate... so yeah

#2591 1 year ago

What are you all thoughts on nailing a premium and installing pinstadiums. The only reason I want a LE is those expression lights however every distro I speak with wants almost 16k not including tax and shipping. I can get a premium for a lot less and though I would just instal pinstadiums. I assume I miss out on the specific code that runs the expressions as opposed to the pinstadiums which connect to just certain flashers and gi.

#2592 1 year ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

What are you all thoughts on nailing a premium and installing pinstadiums. The only reason I want a LE is those expression lights however every distro I speak with wants almost 16k not including tax and shipping. I can get a premium for a lot less and though I would just instal pinstadiums. I assume I miss out on the specific code that runs the expressions as opposed to the pinstadiums which connect to just certain flashers and gi.

You should email Pinstadium and they’ll respond pretty quickly. I think they might have concert lights that might work well. They’ll send you examples.

#2593 1 year ago

The only reason I want a LE is those expression lights

If you get a premium they have said you will have the option to buy the expression lights down the road. Of course they said they same to Rush owners and here we are over a year on with no sign of them actually selling them so the question of *when* vs *if* is a bit up in the air but at the very least the game has slots of them on premiums. If it were me I would move forward a premium purchase, and if I was really anxious to have additional lighting get Pinstadiums now and upgrade to the expression lights later when Stern gets their act together.

#2594 1 year ago

Patience. Get the premium and the EL lights later or pinstadiums.

Or wait until the LEs start dropping.

Distro/flippers. FOMO specialists

Don’t fall prey.

But hey, it’s your $$$. GL

#2595 1 year ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I think they might have concert lights that might work well.

The concert edition is specific to GNR as far as I'm aware and I'm pretty sure they have more ability with JJP to integrate into the code than they get from Stern. But if they could figure out how to do a concert edition for these Stern music pins they could probably clean up from people who can't get expression lighting kits from Stern.

#2596 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

Pig squeals only

#2597 1 year ago

BRRRRREEEEEEEE

#2598 1 year ago

With all the ninja lights, it's quite a show. I'll buy their kit for FF

#2599 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

One of my favorite celeb meeting stories was in the green room at Jimmy Kimmel Live. Every year when we were in town for E3, we went to the JKL taping and got the VIP treatment due to my connections there. One year there was a last-minute swap of the musical act I overheard when checking in at security in the alley by the outdoor stage. Matisyahu was performing. This was big news because one of my buddies I brought is known to be a fanatical MY fan. He thought I was joking when I said I overheard that he was being subbed in for that day's show.

Cut to later in the green room lounge backstage before the taping. We're sitting there on cocktail chairs adjacent to the path to the bar having drinks and snacking when MY and a couple of this bandmates walk by in a group. On the way back from the bar to their dressing room(s) they start chatting with us. I don't waste any of his time chatting with me (nice guy, but meant nothing to me), instead directing him to my buddy to my left saying he's an enormous fan. I introduce him by name. Small chat goes round and when MY walks off, all my buddy can say, dreamily, is "he said my name."

Cracked me and my other buddy up. He was fangirling so hard. To this day, we still randomly pop out a "he said my name" in the same dreamy tone of voice to give him a hard time, and this happened probably 10 years ago.

#2600 1 year ago

Could have gotten several le’s but just got one. Who know they’d ask 15-16 now. Seen Bond les for 11 today used so you never know if you’re going to lose or win buying an le.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Slipstream Mod Shop
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
6,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Muskego, WI
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Other
FlipMods
Other
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 210.00
There are 4,920 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 99.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-foo-fighters-there-goes-my-hero-hype-thread-/page/52?hl=timmmmyboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.