5982E109-00E1-4330-ACD8-1681D0445BE9 (resized).jpeg
B0A4BE23-49E3-4A50-A694-64568071DBBA (resized).jpeg
6E1E6D5F-9791-4E67-BBFA-5737151C645B (resized).jpeg
CB9512ED-8948-42D2-883D-6E9463DA9750 (resized).png
753DAFAC-BB8B-42AC-9207-FB152ABCA154 (resized).png
IMG_2764 (resized).jpeg
FF_LE_arrival (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,920 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 99.
#1851 1 year ago

Does the pro have a magnet under the alien area like the premium/LE does?

#1852 1 year ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Does the pro have a magnet under the alien areas like the premium/LE does?

No according to the stream

#1853 1 year ago

.80 now, hard to imagine how good it will be when done. Be a nice surprise to see some band callouts in upcoming code, but I'm really liking it, happy to be in.

#1854 1 year ago

Good dudes.

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 9.45.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-03-01 at 9.45.27 PM (resized).png
#1855 1 year ago
borat-mankini-fines (resized).jpgborat-mankini-fines (resized).jpg
#1856 1 year ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Good dudes.
[quoted image]

Did you notice when someone got the mini-wizard "Austin" it showed Dave BBQ'ing? Pretty cool idea from someone out there at Stern.

#1857 1 year ago

Game looks good. All about flow but could it be too fast? Love the colors, announcer is terrible and animations are incredible.

Pro all day although without that upper pf, I can see it playing even faster and the prem is fast enough!. Prem just doesn’t have any mechs. Love the FF but I can see those sound effects and same music over and over getting annoying. Great layout though and def made the best of a B theme.

#1858 1 year ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

It's all subjective but in my opinion a Mando or Turtles is less fun to shoot than a Deadpool or a House of Horrors.
However both of the former games have other things going for them that give me that "one more game" feeling. It's the variety between layouts and strategies that make pinball so great.

Agreed they nailed the theme on those games , they are hard yes right shots but fulfilling when you get rolling . But you kinda need both can’t be getting your butt kicked everytime

#1859 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Game looks good. All about flow but could it be too fast? Love the colors, announcer is terrible and animations are incredible.
Pro all day although without that upper pf, I can see it playing even faster and the prem is fast enough!. Prem just doesn’t have any mechs. Love the FF but I can see those sound effects and same music over and over getting annoying. Great layout though and def made the best of a B theme.

Definitely a B theme. Wonder when Stern will finally pony-up and get a decent license. /s
(Seriously? One of the most popular bands in the world right now and you’re calling this a B theme?)

#1860 1 year ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Definitely a B theme. Wonder when Stern will finally pony-up and get a decent license. /s

"A" themes are for losers.

#1861 1 year ago
Quoted from Biju:

Did you notice when someone got the mini-wizard "Austin" it showed Dave BBQ'ing? Pretty cool idea from someone out there at Stern.

I only saw part of the stream as my kids wanted to see the finale of Outer Banks.

#1862 1 year ago

Slow clap for the animation team. This is what I’ve always hoped could be accomplished on a pinball LCD when there aren’t video assets. You can make limited animation look great when you have great character poses, nice composition, and tight timing like Foo Fighters. They’re popping poses with some subtle squash/stretch & overlapping action rather than relying on hinged limbs. That’s why this looks soooo much better than similar attempts like Aerosmith or Weird Al. This is what I always hoped P3 would have figured out, but Stern beat them to it. Dynamic FX and camera work bring it home. I wonder if Yeti drew everything himself or if he art directed some others.

Oh and the game looks awesome, too!

Random thing noticed - lack of flasher domes. Is that something the new designers don’t care for? Borg still puts flasher domes everywhere - but I don’t think Elwin does. I guess you don’t need them with LED & Expression effects.

#1863 1 year ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Good dudes.
[quoted image]

Yep, they're good guys, doing good things and making pretty cool music. And they have a pretty rad new pin also designed by a good guy and coded and developed by other good dudes. Buy one if you're on board. I'm probably gonna.

#1864 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Random thing noticed - lack of flasher domes. Is that something the new designers don’t care for? Borg still puts flasher domes everywhere - but I don’t think Elwin does. I guess you don’t need them with LED & Expression effects.

Flashers and strobe lighting are for chumps who don't design games that punish missed shots. They have to resort to just blinding you when you actually make a shot instead.

#1865 1 year ago

Looks pretty awesome, definitely looks like a unique, fun shooter.

Criticisms for me from the limited gameplay is it doesn't seem obvious what to shoot for pretty often, or what the modes really consist of. Yeah pretty much every pin is "shoot lit shots" but I wasn't picking up much from the modes at all. I mean why is New York the spinner mode, what am I doing hitting the spinner related to the battle? Stuff like that. Maybe just lightshow polish and additional cutscenes (are they tweaking those at this point still?) needed there.

Second was the callouts were sparse/non-informative or something. Kinda ties in with my first criticism I guess. Probably also just something that will improve with code updates and more callouts obviously. Still early and the fact the game is pretty loaded with things to do already is a grest sign.

Oh and I appreciated RayDay and Tanio doing some rules explanations, can't believe people would complain about that. They clearly weren't covering everything and were leaving some surprises.

#1866 1 year ago

Man when they said Taylor's heart was the piece to the Foobot...got me in the feels for sure and made me even happier to be a bit more broke. The small Foo details like Dave BBQ'ing are something only real Foo fans would notice...the design team really nailed the details here. Excited for my first NIB.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1867 1 year ago
Quoted from Biju:

Flashers and strobe lighting are for chumps who don't design games that punish missed shots. They have to resort to just blinding you when you actually make a shot instead.

That's funny because my Godzilla goes dark instead when I get a destruction jackpot.

#1868 1 year ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

They did and look at how MGM handcuffed the hell out of them with James Bond. They can't stop the assembly line fast enough to start making FOO in my opinion. They should not start Bond again either unless they really have some free time on their hands.

#1869 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Slow clap for the animation team. This is what I’ve always hoped could be accomplished on a pinball LCD when there aren’t video assets. You can make limited animation look great when you have great character poses, nice composition, and tight timing like Foo Fighters. They’re popping poses with some subtle squash/stretch & overlapping action rather than relying on hinged limbs. That’s why this looks soooo much better than similar attempts like Aerosmith or Weird Al. This is what I always hoped P3 would have figured out, but Stern beat them to it. Dynamic FX and camera work bring it home. I wonder if Yeti drew everything himself or if he art directed some others.
Oh and the game looks awesome, too!

Listen to the Insider podcast - they hired at least one new artist/art director with tv/animation experience I believe, and he apparently did the majority of this animation by hand if I recall correctl. That and Tom Kyzivat and I'm sure others did further animation on some sections.

I think this was a gap they had in their arsenal at Stern up to now, really excited to see how things go in this department going forward now.

But I suspect the licensors are a big handicap though with what they'll let Stern great and animate themselves in many cases. I'd like to see Stern be more selective in that department - Bond certainly seems to be a theme that is suffering from restrictive licensing. The art from the cab to the playfield outright stinks on all 4 of the Bond machines, imo. Frankly I wish Stern had told them to take a hike and chosen another license. Their best games by far are the ones where they are clearly free to use assets and create their own as they see fit to make the best game possible.

#1870 1 year ago

How is the current biggest rock band in the world a "B" theme? This game kills all the other music themed pins by a longshot.

#1871 1 year ago

Is a recording of the stream posted anywhere, yet?

#1872 1 year ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

Is a recording of the stream posted anywhere, yet?

You can watch the VOD on Twitch without waiting: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1753003427

Edit: n/m looks like it's got copyright muting, might suck ass.

#1873 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You can watch the VOD on Twitch without waiting: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1753003427
Edit: n/m looks like it's got copyright muting, might suck ass.

Thanks! Looks like audio is still there.

#1874 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

The upper PF didn't seem to be used all that much in the stream even so it seemed a little tacked on so far

Upper PF use balance was good, not too much overuse,

Love those Kickers and the Deadpost, Again, super cool and not over used.

Only thing lacking so far is light show and I'm sure that will get sorted out.

Toons are looking awesome apart from the overuse of Scooby chase scene in Area 51, that could be trimmed easy.

Overall a excellent first impression on .08 code.

Well done to get the team into the debut JD, a great stream again.
Very cool to see a motivated team working well together.

I dig the subtle lighting of the new studio and appreciate the focus on the game in play.

#1875 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I wonder if Yeti drew everything himself or if he art directed some others.

The animation team is separate from Zombie Yeti. ZY does the playfield art and cabinet art. Chuck Ernst leads the animation team. Major artists on this project were Zac Stark, Tom Kyzivat, Dave Liscovec, Mimi Ernst, Olivia Jensen, Phil Gullet, Vince Proce, Marc Raneses, Bob Risetto, I'm sure I'm missing someone here........

#1876 1 year ago
Quoted from AmyE:

The animation team is separate from Zombie Yeti. ZY does the playfield art and cabinet art. Chuck Ernst leads the animation team. Major artists on this project were Zac Stark, Tom Kyzivat, Dave Liscovec, Mimi Ernst, Olivia Jensen, Phil Gullet, Vince Proce, I'm sure I'm missing someone here........

Right, but with digital 2D animation, animators are often animating assets drawn by someone else. Stern’s in-house animators seem to be more CG/video game animators. The LCD art looks like Yeti’s style, so it’s possible the Stern team storyboarded it, requested assets from Yeti, then animated & composited his art once provided….or I could be wrong & they have a lot of great 2D artists.

#1877 1 year ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

How is the current biggest rock band in the world a "B" theme? This game kills all the other music themed pins by a longshot.

Gotta love it. Seen the stream, best ever lol.

#1878 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Great layout though and def made the best of a B theme.

Disagree on the "B" theme. It also seems to me that we are officially in an era where theme is very important, but perhaps behind design in the final assessment. I was on the Toy Story list for 2 years expecting the final Lawlor game to be packed with toys like Monster Bash. James Bond has his hands tied by licensing. Mandalorian is a massively appealing theme, but I couldn't do it: why didn't Grogu move the ball with the magnet, and what's up with the helmet?

Just look at Iron Maiden, so many people complaining about that ("B theme"?!) game, and yet it remains epic. So this FF release is a little unexpected. I didn't get Led Zep, but am in on FF? Yeah, because this game looks amazing! The theme and story are going to be incredibly fun.

Quoted from delt31:

Game looks good. All about flow but could it be too fast?

Also, fast is great, like IMDN, Tron, IM, etc.

#1879 1 year ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

During the stream they said, "No".

#1880 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

It also seems to me that we are officially in an era where theme is very important, but perhaps behind design in the final assessment

Interesting. I like FF but I’m buying this game because of the design. It looks packed and fun, like Jack had a lot to prove and was determined to deliver. Plus Yeti on art? Fuhgetaboutit, had to buy day one.

I’m not a fan of Godzilla or Iron Maiden or Congo or Shadow as themes. Love these pins but not themes I’m crazy about. I’d still take any over a TS4. Theme is cool but the game has to stand on its own as a good pin.

Music is also secondary to me. You know how many times I’ve heard The Addams Family theme song on crappy WPC89 speakers? TOO MANY… but I can play that pin all day long.

#1881 1 year ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

It's really not a huge deal from the looks of the design. Looking fwd to the pro tomorrow. I think it's gonna surprise lots of folks. I'm not much on upper playfields anyhow and the magnet don't look to important or to do a whole lot inside that small area. I'm betting we can ad the deadpost on the pro especially home use pros. . I think the pro at 6900-7k shipped looks like a nice buy especially bc premium is now 9600 and le is 13k+ .
Great job Jack and the whole team on a cool pin.

#1882 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It's really not a huge deal from the looks of the design. Looking fwd to the pro tomorrow. I think it's gonna surprise lots of folks. I'm not much on upper playfields anyhow and the magnet don't look to important or to do a whole lot inside that small area. I'm betting we can ad the deadpost on the pro especially home use pros. . I think the pro at 6900-7k shipped looks like a nice buy especially bc premium is now 9600 and le is 13k+ .
Great job Jack and the whole team on a cool pin.

There’s no hole in the playfield for the post and I doubt the wiring is there for the solenoid. Best of luck adding it after the fact.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1883 1 year ago

Upvote!! If you are in for this game!!

49AC3C1B-804A-4FC8-B783-CD5DAE563392.gif49AC3C1B-804A-4FC8-B783-CD5DAE563392.gif
#1884 1 year ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

There’s no hole in the playfield for the post and I doubt the wiring is there for the solenoid. Best of luck adding it after the fact.

The hole has a plug in it.... from whats been said all playfields between the models are the same.
It cld be tied to lockbar button or I'm sure someone cld make a kit if enough people wanted it. Don't matter to me as the ball save works on both models just one will be replunged much like pro games missing a kickback...

#1885 1 year ago

So, I wonder what they do with that deadsave insert on the pro?

#1886 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Upvote!! If you are in for this game!!
[quoted image]

Of course!!

#1887 1 year ago

Can somebody please explain the numbering system regarding code updates? Why is always decimal then some number? Why not just number 0 to 10. Zero being nothing and 10 being the final update? What does the decimal represent and why are the numbers carried two decimal places. Thx

#1888 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Can somebody please explain the numbering system regarding code updates? Why is always decimal then some number? Why not just number 0 to 10. Zero being nothing and 10 being the final update? What does the decimal represent and why are the numbers carried two decimal places. Thx

There's no method to it and there's zero point in trying to figure it out. Cracking the formula wouldn't get you your Bond code faster either.

I think my PLayboy is on 2.6 code or something , so they've definitely tightend THAT up a little since back then.

#1889 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Well, contrary to what Levi stated, anything under 1.0 is considered alpha/beta. The closer to 1.0 you get the closer to 'finished' the code is (granted take this with a grain of salt). After 1.0 it continues on up with patching....usually 1.01, etc. However, not everyone follows this rule exactly.

#1890 1 year ago

I think the stream went as well as Godzilla's did really. Some unique movement on the playfield, fun video clips, and tons of fun shots and combos. Godzilla has better mechs, but Foo probably has the best shot selection of any standard body game out there (in my opinion). The animation beats anything outside of JP movie code for me. It's perfect. It might suffer from not having a "world under glass" vibe as well, but its a players game with sick shots and innovation we haven't seen in a while. 9.5/10 unveiling so far. (I'd give Bond a 4/10, and i bought that game!)

This game just feels fresh, and if it comes in just behind Godzilla .... that would be amazing. However, there's a small chance it could rival it. Congrats Jack!

#1891 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

There isn’t any science to it. Version 1.0 usually means all main modes and features have been put into the game and usually anything after that will be bug fixes or other maintenance items. Version numbers leading up to that are fairly meaningless but usually give a progressive idea as to how close they are to having all features in, but again it depends on the programmer or company as to how they number it.

#1892 1 year ago
Quoted from Dalton71611:

God forbid showcasing and explaining rules and information about a game.

There's plenty of time for tutorials later on any number of streams. It's the reveal, let's vibe out and have fun. I don't want a lecture on the intricacies of combo math when I'm just trying to hear some callouts and figure out where the shots go. You, Karl, Escher, etc will all blow this thing up soon enough. Sometimes the top 1% of players aren't in tune with what average players find interesting.

#1893 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The hole has a plug in it.... from whats been said all playfields between the models are the same.
It cld be tied to lockbar button or I'm sure someone cld make a kit if enough people wanted it. Don't matter to me as the ball save works on both models just one will be replunged much like pro games missing a kickback...

Hoping for this too as I preordered a Pro - from the pictures it looks like all playfields are drilled the same and there is a plug there.

Seems like it’s a coil (duh) + chime plunger but whether or not it’s going to require another node board etc. hopefully someone will figure it out.

It’s literally all I would like to have between the versions, it’s too bad it’s not on both sides of the playfield.

#1894 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Of the recent ones, Zep and Godzilla, and the jury is out on Bond.

Zep over Rush??? you feeling ok?

#1895 1 year ago
Quoted from Yarmuck:

The only minor critique is that the call-outs didn't seem very humorous and they were few and far between.

Tanio (or someone) said there were tons more coming.

#1896 1 year ago

Come watch us chat about the reveal!

#1897 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

The game does look good and usually a good product is put out there when the licensor has interest in the product (Rush vs Bond comes to mind). Man, I am 50/50 now on keeping my deposit for the re-release of Iron Maiden or do I jump ship and move the deposit to FF?? First world problems I guess.

I was planning on a rerun Maiden as love the theme and band, great shots, flow and pace but wanted more stuff in it (maybe like Metallica or this Foo pin).

#1898 1 year ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Settle down Skippy?!!

#1899 1 year ago

Just got a chance to watch pieces of the stream and the game looks sick!

Animations are great, love the overall theming. Shots flowed nicely and I'm glad there's no pop farm slowing the action and taking up unnecessary space on the playfield.

Light show already looked great to me, but I already know that gets better over time.

The only criticism I have is the announcer guy. I think that was a bad choice. Reminds me of how TWDs announcer was so bad almost everyone uses a custom sound package just to get rid of it.

Not sure if it was just the stream or not though, and it's just one small criticism of what looks like a bad ass machine!! Looking forward to getting mine

#1900 1 year ago

Pros: amazing shot layout, upper playfield is actually playable, gold standard flow

Cons: semi-annoying alien voice narration, amount of color in the playfield, band members' real voices are not featured

I think the pros outweigh the cons. This will be fighting for the top spot with Godzilla.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

12,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

Trade
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinsburg, WV
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,920 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 99.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-foo-fighters-there-goes-my-hero-hype-thread-/page/38?hl=xdetroit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.