Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140216_205908[1].jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2013-02-03_21-06-08_148.jpg
    2013-02-03_21-05-38_393.jpg
    IMAG1298.jpg
    DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Wow...

After trying just about every trick in the book on my first mylar removal attempt (Fire!), I needed to find something...better for the left behind adhesive. I searched in the usual places, and came across "the flour trick". I see that it hasn't been mentioned on Pinside yet.

I scored a really nice Rocky and Bullwinkle last night. It had a full playfield mylar, and it was starting lift over a couple of the inserts. Anyways, pulled the mylar in the standard freeze spray method. Easy so far!

I lightly dusted the sticky left over adhesive with baking flour, then layed down a spray of Goo Gone Spray gel. I let it sit for 3 mins or so, then I placed a small pile of flour at the edge of the adhesive. It rolled up on itself, and I was done in about 20 mins.

This guy shows the premise in his youtube video:

My method of flour dusting, goo gone gel, and pushing a dry pile of flour into the start of the adhesive worked quite a bit better than his results, but his video gives the general idea.

#2 11 years ago

This just sounds crazy...crazy enough it just might work....going to watch the vid!

#3 11 years ago

It's insane how well it works. I'll try to get a video of how I did mine, the next time I need to do it.

#4 11 years ago

I use the flour and alcohol method.It works great!!

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

I use the flour and alcohol method.It works great!!

Try dusting the entire playfield (where it's sticky), then spraying the whole thing with a layer of goo gone gel. Let it sit then start with a pile of dry flour at one edge.

It works so much better than what he was showing. I didn't have to rub back and forth at all. It just pushed into a dough that rolled up on itself.

#6 11 years ago

Wow. I'll keep this in the quiver and potentially use it if I decide to take any Mylar off in the future. Thanks for posting!

#7 11 years ago

Neat trick!
    My FT with full playfield Mylar arrives at the end of the month. I've been agonising what methods to use for removal and cleanup. I really don't want to cause any damage on a pristine FT.

#8 11 years ago

Love it! Thanks for posting.

#9 11 years ago

I will probably be using this very shortly. I've got some mylars on my diamondplate Rollergames that were poorly placed and will be coming up. I pulled one already, it came right off, but left the adhesive behind.

#10 11 years ago

Be sure to use the gel version of goo gone, no alcohol or solvent is needed. I think this is what made my removal "dough up" so well, for a lack of a better term.

http://googone.com/GG-Browse-Products/Goo-Gone-Spray-Gel-12oz

I kept thinking that I was cheating somehow, it so easy.

#12 11 years ago

Nifty.....

Post edited by ovfdfireman : Removed statement determined inappropriate in hind site, would want to hurt anyones feelings

#13 11 years ago

Hey,

Guess that answers the question of whether than R & B will still be kicking around when I get back from vacation... . Good luck with the score.

Luke

#15 11 years ago

Seriously, what was the point of that comment ??

Post edited by absocountry2 : Quoted OP felt the post was wrong and changed it

#16 11 years ago

Technically you don't roll the pinball machine around in the flour

#17 11 years ago

lol Luke,

I snapped it up as soon as it was listed for a fair market price. It's in awesome condition. The guy imported it from a pinball dealer in the states, which is why he was asking the crazy inital price (he was looking to get back what he paid last year for it).

#18 11 years ago

Hey,

Glad it worked out for you. Need another pin like I need a hole in the head, but hey, I think everyone here is in the same boat...

Luke

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Technically you don't roll the pinball machine around in the flour

I am glad you have a sense of humor, thats all it was....kidding around.

#21 11 years ago

Sweet! Whenever I get to yanking the mylar on F-14, gonna have to try it. Been reluctant after doing my Magic as even with goo-gone and a magic eraser it took hours to get that crap all off. Now I might get motivated to do this. Thanks for the post!

#22 11 years ago

Now we need to find out if flour is the best powder to use. Cornstarch? Baby power? Great idea BTW.

#23 11 years ago

lol Makes me think about using peanut butter / peanut oil to remove bubble gum. Sounds weird, but it works.

#24 11 years ago

Wow! Wish I knew of this tip 2 months ago. I'm so using this when I tear my earthshaker apart!

#25 11 years ago

Nifty

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from pin-tastic:

I think I get the jist of it, otherwise would have not made the "Chubby Chaser" reference in my post, but thanks for the lesson.

You edited your post after I posted mine. If your original post had the Chubby chaser line to it I never would have responded to it.

IF we had to weed out all the "useless" posts on a pinside there wouldn't be a lot to do.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Becasue you can roll a fat girl around in flour to find the "wet spot." So you're not further confused, the "wet spot" is her vagina that one is most likely trying to find for sexual intercourse.

#28 11 years ago

The trick to goo gone is leaving it on for about a half hour and the adhesive will just wipe away.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

The trick to goo gone is leaving it on for about a half hour and the adhesive will just wipe away.

There is some truth there but the time also depends on how long the mylar has been in place and the elements it was exposed to. I had one PF where I waited 3 hours and still had trouble getting the adhesive off...so I soaked a rag and laid it on top of the adhesive till the next day (24hrs) and it came off much easier. Wish I would have known about this...would have been worth a try. I will give it a shot on my FH here in the near future. Thanx again for the info Firebaall!

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You edited your post after I posted mine. If your original post had the Chubby chaser line to it I never would have responded to it.
    IF we had to weed out all the "useless" posts on a pinside there wouldn't be a lot to do.

Yeah totally edited it later.....and yeah useless posts can make it fun, this is a place to socialize and hang with pinball friends.....right

#31 11 years ago

Thank you very much for that tip. I've gotta do my brother's F14 and have been dreading starting on that project. Not worried about it much now!

#32 11 years ago

Oh yeah...

The victory shots:

DSC00002.JPGDSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPGDSC00003.JPG DSC00026.JPGDSC00026.JPG

#33 11 years ago

Now you tell me...
    I've got blisters on my fingers!!!!

I will try this trick

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Yeah totally edited it later.....and yeah useless posts can make it fun, this is a place to socialize and hang with pinball friends.....right

Thats what 99% of your posts are, "Useless" so thank goodness for the ignore feature

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from pin-tastic:

Thats what 99% of your posts are, "Useless" so thank goodness for the ignore feature

Man, not sure what I did so wrong..... Heck I even deleted the posting after your response in an effort to not offend....

#36 11 years ago

Holy crap this trick works. Why have I never come across it before? Thanks for posting. It is still plenty of work, but it is soooooooo much easier then my old methods

#37 11 years ago

Amazing method thanks for sharing.

#38 11 years ago

Excellent thread Firebaall.

#39 11 years ago

Oh my God, so awesome...

Talk about a game changer

#40 11 years ago

This is the kind of stuff I search this forum for everyday. Great tip thanks.

#41 11 years ago

GREAT information...

Beats what I have been doing and will save so much time and effort.

1 month later
    #42 11 years ago

Just found this thread, Im the guy with the Earthshaker in this video. Just for reference, I had the entire Playfield done in 21 minutes give or take. I have since done two other system 11s and it makes it sooo much faster. I tried soaking the lower end of the PF with goo gone, but no avail, I will be doing the flour on another soon. One bit of advice I did get was not to let goo gone sit too long on the PF as it may get into inserts if there are cracks there and allow them to lift. Either way, its rewarding just to get that off of there...
    IMAG1298.jpgIMAG1298.jpg

#43 11 years ago

Very cool, only if you could have posted this 2 weeks ago I wouldn't have struggled with my mess in my Police Force.

#44 11 years ago

Lol, i *did* use this trick on my Police Force about two weeks ago

#45 11 years ago

I keep wanting to try this but the last couple I did were data easts. If you lay a paper towel soaked in 97% over the glue, let it sit for 30 min, then the glue wipes right off. I've been lucky I guess. They don't normally go that smooth.

#46 11 years ago

Anyone know the European equivelent of Goo Gone spray gel?? I'd love to get some of this stuff so I can use this method myself!! Excellent tip... if you can get the Goo Gone that is

#47 11 years ago

So for the people removing mylar on System 11 games, are you getting them clearcoated or putting new mylar back on? They'll start to wear as soon as there's no protection if they're actually used. That's why 9/10 of them had mylar from the factory.

#48 11 years ago

Very cool trick. I have a spot on my WH2O that has Mylar coming up, so I'm going to use this. Thanks!

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

So for the people removing mylar on System 11 games, are you getting them clearcoated or putting new mylar back on?

I've just de-mylared my Earthshaker (removing the glue was a nightmare!) and my plan is to put some sort of 'clearcoat' on it, although not decided how to go about that yet... need to touch up the inserts that got damaged when the mylar came off first

Most reasons people take the mylar off is because it dulls the playfield (at least that's normally why I do it)... I wonder if there's a good way to polish the mylar so it's like new again and avoid the hassle of removing it, yet still get a nice un-dulled playfield...

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

So for the people removing mylar on System 11 games, are you getting them clearcoated or putting new mylar back on? They'll start to wear as soon as there's no protection if they're actually used. That's why 9/10 of them had mylar from the factory.

This seems accurate.

Ten years from now I hope there aren't a ton of crappy playfields out there regarding system 11s.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-flour-trick-for-mylar-adhesive-removal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.