New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 13251)

the fish that got away

By natdawg

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by PNBLWZD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

So, I'm super depressed guys. I let two machines get away from me this weekend. One actually in the past few hours and the bad thing is one was the machine I really wanted....very close by, wouldn't have had to ship, great condition......sucks. Does this happen all too often?

#2 8 years ago

Sometimes it just wasn't meant to be. I bet something even better shows up in the future and this one just wasn't the one.

#3 8 years ago

Why did you let them get away?

#4 8 years ago

Took to long to make my move on one, the other I was at work and I just wasn't checking my email at the right time so when I asked one question just to make sure of something he replied sold....and for the same price I offered.

#5 8 years ago

What games?

#6 8 years ago

Don't feel bad. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be. Maybe you'll get lucky and one will come back due to other buyers pulling out.

With that said, I'm still bummed I missed out on two FH's that were close but the deals just didn't seem to work out so your pain is felt.

#7 8 years ago

what are you looking for, maybe someone can help!! let us know.

#8 8 years ago

I'm no expert and I'm no guru. But when it comes to pins, ya' snooze, ya' lose. It's a harsh reality, but it IS the reality nonetheless. I missed out on a couple of pins in early and mid-2011. By Sept-Oct, I had learned enough 'he who hesitates is lost' lessons and learned to stop dawdling. Thus, when the RIGHT pin comes along, I take action, pretty much immediately. I've bought five pins at reasonable prices since October (NGG, WH20, MB, TOTAN and W?D) and haven't been sorry about jumping on any of them when I had the chance.
    Of course, be sure to do your homework. KNOW which games you want and KNOW what the price range of the game is.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

#9 8 years ago

Yeah triumph I hear yah, I'm learning it all to well to jump quicker. I can't really go into detail on one but I'll tell the story on the second. First thing, you will think I'm nuts for wanting this machine (not great reviews) but the one I really want is Stern's 2001 Monopoly. I saw this one on eBay and I checked all the forums and it wasn't listed anywhere but eBay, I started talking to the guy but it took a while for him to respond. He was 2 hrs away from me, the machine looked great, I had pretty much made up my mind (didn't say yes right away b/c it was priced really close to my limit) and had one more question for him. His response, "Sorry the machine sold this afternoon for $XXXX" it just happened to be the exact amount he counter offered me, refreshed eBay and it was gone. Sad thing is I've been watching it on ebay for over a week but stupid me didn't bother to google where the location was till recently.

#10 8 years ago

Don't beat yourself up, more pins always come along

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Don't beat yourself up, more pins always come along

That is very true, too. Sometimes when you least expect it.

#12 8 years ago

And you're probably better off not buying on Bay anyway. Hope that makes you feel a bit better.
    Are you on more forums? Check Craigslist, pynball.com etc.... Maybe there's a local pinball community site you can join to get access to collectors in your area. These are all much better ways to buy a pin. Wish I had known that when I started.

Good luck.

#13 8 years ago

Well....I left out that we went outside of eBay...I know your not suppose to do that but....doesn't really matter now anyway.

#14 8 years ago

It only means better prospects on the horizon

#15 8 years ago

It happens, I let a JP pass me by, but I know I'll find one again later on.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

And you're probably better off not buying on Bay anyway. Hope that makes you feel a bit better.
    Are you on more forums? Check Craigslist, pynball.com etc.... Maybe there's a local pinball community site you can join to get access to collectors in your area. These are all much better ways to buy a pin. Wish I had known that when I started.
    Good luck.

I've bought 3 pins on ebay since May, 2011 (LOTR which was huo, TOTAN and WH20). All three transactions worked out perfectly. Just sayin'. You don't have to overpay if you buy on ebay. I didn't.

#17 8 years ago

I missed out on a Tron LE and it turned out to be a blessing because I wound up getting one a lot cheaper than the one I was considering.

#18 8 years ago

Yeah that happens sometimes. You finally find something you really want and keep looking at it, thinking, thinking, hesitating because of price or whatever, then you look or email again and BOOM - it's gone. OUCH! That really sucks. Don't worry though, there will be another. It may be tomorrow or it may take a couple months. It may be close to home or require an 8 hour drive. One of the things I've learned about pinball is you never know where or when they will pop up. And when the next one does come along you know now to take action.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 219.99
    $ 159.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 45.00
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Protection
    3D Tech. Pinball Parts
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside