Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,011 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 167 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

405069973_7150533634989700_9144205483888789224_n (resized).jpg
    404993735_7150533524989711_5239683263420208945_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5420 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-5237 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5238 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5074 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5076 (resized).jpg
    church_real (resized).png
    church (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mbecker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

473 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Mbecker. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I've been wanting to build this for years and I've finally finished up enough house and pin projects to feel like there's time to get this going. Fight Club is my favorite movie -- probably the only movie I've watched more than 20 times other than UHF and Holy Grail and imo deserving of a pin. I am hoping to do it some justice.. so here goes:

Fight Club Pinball

Concept:
    My concept right now is to have something similar to POTC (Stern), Sopranos, or the Shadow -- A large finale insert with a lot of side quests/missions that need to be filled out prior to getting to finale. This will closely follow the movie and use both sound, art, and animation assets directly from the movie in conjunction with others. The minor & major side quests will be scenes (modes), collecting recruits (space monkeys), fights (3 or 4 per the movie --boss, stranger, destroy something beautiful, first fight, etc), Collecting support groups, setting up franchise fight clubs, collecting characters, doing maythem, and collecting rules. Total side quest of collecting jacks parts for a separate leaderboard. The finale will involve hitting some shots and then locking balls in a skyscraper that lowers into the playfield like the cabinet in X-files. Then you blow up several skyscrapers that sink into the playfield while the pixies play "where is my mind" and you do a fun run of some sort after the lights all drop out after the explosions.

Modes:

Multiballs: I am planning 4 - 5 multiballs. Mayhem (3 ball + add-a-ball), Meditation (2 ball?), group therapy (#?), finale (5 ball), +1 or 2 more.

Scenes: condo blow up, Burning hand (hit shots within time to continue mode), realization, carl?, Just let go!, others?
    Franchises:Orbit Loops will collect franchise cities, probably need 5 or so to finish/light insert (I am planning dual gate controls (left/right) on orbits, so the first right orbit will be blocked by the left gate and drop into pops, then open on next right orbit and vice-versa for a left orbit. Only a full orbit sequence (right, left, full) will count as a franchise city. Charactors & support groups will be collected via some shots TBD, recruits collected via slim targets sprinkled around playfield (like POTC), Fights bill for sure include self, boss, stranger and will be done in the "basement" - my lower mini playfield which currently is planned to be located lower in cab and and have a camera on it that feeds back to a small LCD in playfield above flippers.

Design: As of now (2/15/18), design is fairly fleshed out and tested. I will post a picture soon below once I catch up on progress to date. From left to right I have: left ball save kicker to subway/scoop, captive ball, 5-bank drop target, quick-fire scoop, left upper ramp (feeds back to orbit), left-right orbit (2 control gates), left ramp/wireform return with lift ramp (feeds ball lock), up/down scyscraper ball lock, 3-lane change @ pops, mode scoop, mini-orbit, right ramp with divertor (returns to right flipper & to ball lock), right-left orbit, and behind an upper flipper a saucer, right lane save gate (returns ball to shooter). Maythem ball lock is a 3-sided motorized billboard on the backboard that locks 3 balls via the lift ramp and a VUK. Billboard will change sides when balls lock, then dump them all at once.

Sounds: Using a TON of sound pulls from the movie using Audacity -- so many awesome quotes. Will supplement as needed for voice calls and music, and may improvise off some existing music using Reason software.

Art: Taking this in the same direction that David Fincher did -- I like the dark colors along with the pink soap.. There will be pink lighting (it's all RGB controlled lighting), with dark greens & blues and black. When you search fight club on google, it pretty much brings up what I am thinking.. I'd like to try and use existing assets and bring them together with a program like photoshop (or something cheaper preferably)

Code: All MPF, with possibly some Python code thrown in. There will be a ton of code, which will be a learning experience as I go and will probably take at least a year (more likely 2+) of the project time.

Hardware: FAST board sets. Nano, 1x 1616, 2x 0804, 2x 3208, fuse blocks, and servo daughter boar + filter board and power supplies.

Mechs: Using a lot of existing stuff from used playfields, along with a few newer items mostly ordered from pinball life. I think I've counted up roughtly 30+ drivers w/out flasher circuits so there's some serious mechs on this. Hoping to use some servos as well where I can. Custom wireforms in most places, possibly 1 ramp here or there. Sinking skyscrapers, rotating 3-sided billboard and mayhem lock will all be custom.

Lighting: FAST rgb LEDS for inserts & flashers and RGB x-mas lights for GI.

Dev: Done on SkyPilot's Rotesserie with tool storage capacity add on

I think that covers the basics.. I have some catch up posting to do until I get to current day progress, so here goes:

#3 6 years ago

I'm going to date each of these posts (as they were in the past, I started this project 2 months ago) just for records keeping.

I began this adventure nov 11/2013. I knew I wanted to build a game, but had 0 pinballs and my only experience was playing a Bally BlackBelt with my siblings in my parents basement growing up. Granted I did graduate in EE in 2012 so I have some electronics & computer background, but pinball knowledge was pretty zilch at this point. I purchased a $300 Non-working Firepower with the intention of taking it apart and using the cab and parts to build my own pin. As you can imagine, that quickly spiraled first into a long restore/refurb project (which involved acquiring more new pins to play while I work on FP), that devolved into more pin collecting/selling/shopping that seemed to go on for years.

I'm sure many of you know how that goes..

At any rate I just wrapped up a full restore of a proto junkyard and called that enough, on to my long delayed homebrew. In the mean time, I've spent several years acquiring parts and more importantly knowledge/experiance to hopefully pull this build off. Onwards!

#4 6 years ago

8/2015

After seeing Aaron from FAST pinball @ the NW show, I was pretty sold on the FAST system and thought I was close to starting a build so I went ahead and purchased a board set to get started. Unfortunately the boards sat for a long time in a box while I shopped out other pins and moved into my wife & I's first house (queue 10,000 house projects).

#5 6 years ago

Fast Fwd 11ish/2017: Ordered filter board & power supplies from FAST. Options were really FAST or Proc for me. I had a Proc a while back and was going to follow the Pinball Amigos and tear into a super cheap WC94 I had acquired but I didn't have the heart to follow thru with that plan and sold it to my brother instead and decided to continue with FAST.

IMG_5323 (resized).JPGIMG_5323 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

11/29/17

Prototyping Play-field wood cut @ lumber yard and brought home. I think it's 9 ply maple if I remember correctly.

IMG_5331 (resized).JPGIMG_5331 (resized).JPG

IMG_5332 (resized).JPGIMG_5332 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

12/1/17

Starting wiring on power supplies. Screwed them all to 1 board which should fit in the back of a cabinet when the time comes. Ideally some boards will migrate to the play field or head and wiring will ultimately be redone once, probably twice as I go along.

IMG_5351 (resized).JPGIMG_5351 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

12/2/17

Took my stripped dev JY playfield and mapped out a lower third onto my blank plywood.

12/3/17

Lower 3rd holes cut out with jigsaw and drills. Messy for sure but it will do. The jigsaw leaves something to be desired for cut accuracy and the drills bust up the plywood on the bottom side of the drill-thru. *note top and bottom of playfield pics*

IMG_5355 (resized).JPGIMG_5355 (resized).JPG

IMG_5370 (resized).JPGIMG_5370 (resized).JPG

IMG_5371 (resized).JPGIMG_5371 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

Some awesome tools for wiring -- a combo strip/cut tool that you can get online or thru rob Anthony if you see him at a show.. and my favorite -- the crimper tool. I was using it incorrectly for a while until I finally looked up a youtube video. Used correctly this thing makes awesome crimps for wire/pin connections.

IMG_5359 (resized).JPGIMG_5359 (resized).JPG

IMG_5358 (resized).JPGIMG_5358 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

12/4/17

Started delving into MPF. The guys that work on this have put so much time into it, and what truly kicks ass is that they've also done a really great job on documentation and continue to work on it to make it better and to support it. The tutorial takes you from nothing to a flipping playfield in hopefully a couple hours (assuming you're all wired up and boards are working & communicating correctly).

MPF makes it really easy to get started - and having a flipping lower 3rd is somewhat key to development so you can flesh out shots. It probably will frustrate true coders, but for the rest it will make homebrew pinball that much more accessible, which I think is their goal.

For anyone following thinking about doing homebrew, I will also recommend (on top of MPf's recommendations) downloading sublime for the YAML coding. It makes formatting really nice and smooth.

IMG_5384 (resized).JPGIMG_5384 (resized).JPG

IMG_5401 (resized).JPGIMG_5401 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

12/8/17

Treats arrive. Pinball packages are like christmas

Order from pololu -- pinned wires for LED's, headers for LED's, more FAST boards, and flippers/flipper mechs. Going with an opto set-up for flipper buttons. I accidentally ordered version 1 from PL (pinball life) -- version 2 is much cheaper.

IMG_5405 (resized).JPGIMG_5405 (resized).JPG

IMG_5415 (resized).JPGIMG_5415 (resized).JPG

IMG_5416 (resized).JPGIMG_5416 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

12/10/17

Wirings all wrapped up on power supplies. Have a lighted, fused switch to power it all up. Got side rails on and backboard. Just cut some random sizes that were close.. not final dim's.

IMG_5430 (resized).JPGIMG_5430 (resized).JPG

IMG_5431 (resized).JPGIMG_5431 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

12/12/17

Another package -- ordered a cheap Dell Laptop for development which I am typing on now from Ebay. All good except the package arrived like this:
    IMG_5446 (resized).JPGIMG_5446 (resized).JPG

Yikes! Took lots of pics but it ended up working fine.

#14 6 years ago

12/13/17

Added a clear plexi sheild for the boards to protect them. Ends up that I have not used it much -- the boards mount below my rotesserie and I am constantly dropping parts from above so ultimately the protection I need is above the boards, not in front. Once I actually destroy a board by dropping something on it I'll probably do something about that... knock on wood.

IMG_5459 (resized).JPGIMG_5459 (resized).JPG

#15 6 years ago

12/13/17

Flippahs! Installed but not running yet.

IMG_5460 (resized).JPGIMG_5460 (resized).JPG

IMG_5461 (resized).JPGIMG_5461 (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago

This thing is donating some parts.. picked this up local for cheap for the purpose. Kinda cool looking playfield, I've never played it.

IMG_5468 (resized).JPGIMG_5468 (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago

12/15/17

Time to figure out some sling action. Sling parts are from a WCS94. Inlane guides from JY - just for prototyping.

IMG_5474 (resized).JPGIMG_5474 (resized).JPG

#18 6 years ago

12/15/17

Added tool storage to the rotesserie. Super helpful, and highly recommended. I'll also give a shout out to Skypilot for his awesome plans for this! It's a solid design!

IMG_5479 (resized).JPGIMG_5479 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago

You can see here -- It is locked in and I've built it to roughly a 6.5 degree tilt -- so it works well for play testing as the dev goes along.

IMG_5491 (resized).JPGIMG_5491 (resized).JPG

#20 6 years ago

12/22/17

Getting in some pin time amid x-mas madness.. slings installed.

IMG_5546 (resized).JPGIMG_5546 (resized).JPG

#21 6 years ago

Getting some more boards and bars wired in as well. 1 48v bar, 1 dedicated ground bar. FAST boards have switches broken out in 8-switch banks with common grounds to the 8 switches (ultimately ran thru the rj45 jacks between all the boards that distributes 12v among them). However, having the common ground is nice for grounding all the drivers on the boards and ultimately to all the metal parts on the final pin.

I am running 48v, 12v, and 5v. 48 goes to the coils, 12 to the boards and servos, and 5 to the LED's.

IMG_5548 (resized).JPGIMG_5548 (resized).JPG

IMG_5549 (resized).JPGIMG_5549 (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago

12/23/17

Got a bit of wiring done. Just a few for now but it soon turns into a rats nest.
    IMG_5561 (resized).JPGIMG_5561 (resized).JPG

12/27/17

Started mapping out on paper some drivers and switches. Going to be important later to have this on paper so I can convert to digital to clearly show wiring.
    IMG_5630 (resized).JPGIMG_5630 (resized).JPG

#23 6 years ago

Wiring up to this point:

IMG_5638 (resized).JPGIMG_5638 (resized).JPG

Flipper optos wiring and working:

IMG_5640 (resized).JPGIMG_5640 (resized).JPG

1/1/17:

First flips! (youtube vid to be uploaded)

#24 6 years ago

1/4/17

Autofire wired in.

IMG_5702 (resized).JPGIMG_5702 (resized).JPG

#25 6 years ago

1/5/18:

At the art store checking out prototyping options. Ended up with foamcore, cardboard, and several pre-made cardboard pieces (planning on sculpting or 3d printing the house from the movie)

IMG_5706 (resized).JPGIMG_5706 (resized).JPG

IMG_5712 (resized).JPGIMG_5712 (resized).JPG

#26 6 years ago

1/6/18

Trough time.. lot's of wires on this one to go from trough optos to the FAST boards via WMS trough opto boards. I am waiting on FAST opto boards that eliminate the extra board and a lot of connections.
    IMG_5719 (resized).JPGIMG_5719 (resized).JPG

Also bought a router for all the rest of the PF cuts and inserts. No experience with these.. should be fun.

IMG_5720 (resized).JPGIMG_5720 (resized).JPG

#27 6 years ago

1/6/18

GI lights arrive:
    IMG_5730 (resized).JPGIMG_5730 (resized).JPG
    These are pretty cool -- good diffused for through-PF.. they are not RGB like the FAST LED's but GRB or something I believe -- But it doesn't matter.. you can chain them in a serial chain (up to 256) off the FAST nano board no problem. You define what kind of LED's they are in MPF.

Finished up trough wiring for now:

IMG_5732 (resized).JPGIMG_5732 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5733 (resized).JPGIMG_5733 (resized).JPG

#28 6 years ago

Looking at shooter rod options I'm not a huge Pink person but it fits fight club really well.. and I kind of like the idea that this might be one of the first modern pins to really incorporate it (other than possibly TNA).

IMG_5748 (resized).PNGIMG_5748 (resized).PNG

IMG_5749 (resized).PNGIMG_5749 (resized).PNG

#30 6 years ago

20 years next year?? shit.. I gotta get cracking harder on this Yeah - the cabinet will come in cornflower blue for sure as an option LOL.

#32 6 years ago

Design stage. I have an idea of a few pieces, but the layout is ever-changing I find as I start to lay out parts and realize it's all different on the whitewood vs in my head. Dammit how does that happen?!

Here's some parts I collected thrown out just to see what it looked like:
    IMG_5809 (resized).JPGIMG_5809 (resized).JPG

OK, time to get serious:
    IMG_5819 (resized).JPGIMG_5819 (resized).JPG

I was pretty confident to this point but when you have to start drilling holes in the playfield it really makes you start to think and rethink things. Obviously it's just a proto so there's going to be lots of mistakes and extra holes, but still.. hate drilling UN-neccesary holes I have to fill later on.

Hmm.. appolo13 wireform could go here:
    IMG_5823 (resized).JPGIMG_5823 (resized).JPG

or here:
    IMG_5824 (resized).JPGIMG_5824 (resized).JPG

no scrap that altogether..
    IMG_5826 (resized).JPGIMG_5826 (resized).JPG

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I can hear the Tyler durden laugh now as the ball drains down an outlane .

That's a given -- it will be one of many random sfx triggered on drain, but also plan on using several of the laughs when he's getting the shit beat out of him by Lou for a pop up single drop target that blocks shots like GB Scolari Brothers. One for Marla, one for Tyler - to represent how they get in the Narrator's mind. I might kill them later on in Dev but I will try them out to see how it goes..

#35 6 years ago

House here?
    IMG_5828 (resized).JPGIMG_5828 (resized).JPG

Or Here?
    IMG_5827 (resized).JPGIMG_5827 (resized).JPG

Arrrgh .. already the design is changing a lot from what was in my head. 2x upper flippers or just 1x?

IMG_5836 (resized).JPGIMG_5836 (resized).JPG

#37 6 years ago

haha -- yeah it will be the sfx for the mediation ball lock off the right ramp divertor. Lock 2, than they "slide" thru a cave (3d printed?) with marla on the DMD saying it (clip from movie, converted to dots)

#38 6 years ago

This is the gate mech from my donor PF -- it opens to drop the ball from right oulane back into shooter lane. I am robbing it Although in final game I think a servo could better serve the purpose if it's activated fast enough.

IMG_5840 (resized).JPGIMG_5840 (resized).JPG

#39 6 years ago

1/22/18

Geometry. I don't understand how people figure out shots from looking at a playfield.. I need a ruler and angle thing-ee. (what the hell are these called, it's not a protractor..?)

There's a sweet spot on the flippers, and putting shots outside that makes them difficult. The tip of the flipper shots are quite difficult -- mine to to the captive ball on the left and to a saucer on the right behind the upper right flipper. The saucer in particular is not easy.. I am still considering what the shot will do but I like having some harder shots for stuff like extra ball.

IMG_5852 (resized).JPGIMG_5852 (resized).JPG

#40 6 years ago

1/26/18

Hot glue time! This stuff is sweet for cardboard and foamcore prototyping! I can't believe how strong it holds after it sets. If you can manage not to burn your fingers with it +5 bonus points! However, I've since learned it's annoying to subsequently remove to install mechs. But well worth the effort to get something laid out to shoot against (yes, you can shoot against cardboard and Styrofoam without destroying them!)

IMG_5868 (resized).JPGIMG_5868 (resized).JPG

#43 6 years ago

1/27/17

Ok -- ramp time, let's go! Technically these are wireforms, but given that I'm working with cardboard for now.. I'll call them ramps.

Upper left (from upper fliper shot) first design:

IMG_5885 (resized).JPGIMG_5885 (resized).JPG

Left ramp (loops around sinking skyscraper lock shot):
    IMG_5886 (resized).JPGIMG_5886 (resized).JPG

Right ramp (With shadow divertor, controlled by software to lock balls for guided meditation multiball):
    IMG_5892 (resized).JPGIMG_5892 (resized).JPG

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from gutz:

Special handling, indeed.

I don't think I've ever had anything arrive like this until I started ordering stuff for this project. Insane that it was a computer. I've heard stories from a friend that used to drive UPS though.. shit happens.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I appreciate you being the first pinball maker to actually admit this

LOL -- just noting from my experiments. It's actually truely amazing how many angles you get off the flippers and how little length it takes to get a different shot, esp when you are near the upper part of the flipper or near the tip. But if you want to make ramps consistently, it seems the flipper tip is not a good place to put a shot at.

#46 6 years ago

2/1/18

Parts!! PL and Bay Area Amusements order in. More flipper mechs, a long shaft flipper, AFM scoop, up/down single drop, and some other stuff.

I want to mess with the long shaft flipper (from No fear) for an upper playfield idea above the pop bumpers in back, playing on clear plexi with the house up above as a shot from the flipper. I will probably trash the idea in the end but design is all about experimenting.

IMG_5901 (resized).JPGIMG_5901 (resized).JPG

#47 6 years ago

Moved the upper flipper ramp to a thru-the-backboard design. Idea at this point (2/1/18) is to have the mayhem lock divert off of this to lock back in front of the backboard where the billboard is now mounted (previously on the playfield).

IMG_5904 (resized).JPGIMG_5904 (resized).JPG

IMG_5905 (resized).JPGIMG_5905 (resized).JPG

#48 6 years ago

2/2/18

Let's wire some stuff! Upper flipper getting wired up for testing.

IMG_5907 (resized).JPGIMG_5907 (resized).JPG

doing some testing of upper ramp shot:
    IMG_5937 (resized).JPGIMG_5937 (resized).JPG

#49 6 years ago

I've got like 10 LED's I think wired up, and all they do is a silly attract mode thing but it's super satisfying to fire it up once in a while and watch, then flip thru a 3 ball "game". My family came over about this time to shoot it and while the adults were intrugued and did a few flips, my 6 year old nephew was killing it - nailing back to back ramp shots and playing over and over to "get good so I can beat you when it's finished". LOL That was a great moment.. I hope I can finish it so he can beat me.

IMG_5963 (resized).JPGIMG_5963 (resized).JPG

#50 6 years ago

2/9/17:

An awesome pinsider and fellow-slacker sent me up some 3d printed wire form ramp brackets. I am protyping in brass because it is easier to bend than stainless and hopefully I will be able to braze/solder wire on for a more "final" version. I don't have a welder or have capacity in my garage for one at the moment.. but the final version will hopefully be stainless.

So my second mail issue with this project -- the brackets arrive like so, with them spilling out into mailbox:
    IMG_5976 (resized).JPGIMG_5976 (resized).JPG

WTF mailmen/women?!! Lost like half the brackets, so bummed. But moving fwd:

IMG_5983 (resized).JPGIMG_5983 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5980 (resized).JPGIMG_5980 (resized).JPG

#52 6 years ago

Here's what I ended up with on my 1st attempt. (This is after hours of bending) -- what a pain in the ass! I still don't have them quite right but it's close. It turns out it's super difficult to bend wire in one axis while maintaining them straight in another axis. (ie, my z-axis was getting goofy while I was bending the wire in the x and y axis's).

It should work out good.. but it's some difficult work I wasn't expecting.

IMG_5988 (resized).JPGIMG_5988 (resized).JPG

IMG_5990 (resized).JPGIMG_5990 (resized).JPG

#53 6 years ago

2/10/18:

Replacing some cardboard with metal. Reusing some old guides I had from JY, added DE style pop bumper, my AFM scoop, another scoop, and cut holes for lift ramp.
    IMG_5992 (resized).JPGIMG_5992 (resized).JPG

Got to use my dad's caliper/compass set from engineering school in the 60's/70's finally.. kinda cool to use. Engineering was so different back then with hand drawing -- they did some really cool stuff. And the punch cards for programming, that's one thing that probably isn't missed much LOL.
    IMG_5994 (resized).JPGIMG_5994 (resized).JPG

#54 6 years ago

2/11/18

That wraps things up for tonight (2/15/18). Here's where I'm at:

IMG_6007 (resized).JPGIMG_6007 (resized).JPG

Picked up 6' brass wire lengths today from the metal shop and have guides to pick up tomorrow to finish those up. More wire bending this weekend while I wait for more used parts/mechs to arrive from Bulgaria.

I am really excited to get those mechs and finish up the basic design so I can test it and code a mode to try it out. With MPF, I stand right now with a super simple attract mode with a 4 slide show and music, and a 3-ball game that tracks score via the 4 inlane/outlane switches I have wired.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

This is coming along so well! I’ll be up your way in the next few days to bring you some goods!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Sweeeet!! Thanks Aaron! This wouldn’t be possible without the support from you and Dave!

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

Good on you for getting in there!
    It's the perfect theme which is why I chose to do it for my 2019 build.
    I may rethink that now but I've also invested a lot of time and $$$ in the playfield design already.
    I suppose there's already parallel builds of batman going on.
    The trouble with building a pin is you've really gotta love the theme or you'll lose inspiration ...and I really love this theme.
    It's going to take me some time to get used to the idea of not doing it .
    Thankyou as well for actually starting and then showing a playfield first up for all to see your serious and not just fantasising
    about this build , its something that is starting to grind my gears in several threads.

Always room for more than one not a competition - love to see parallel builds. Be cool to have not 1 but 2 FC’s in the world I went thru a lot of design possibilities but ultimately I realized the same thing you said — pick the one your most passionate about. It’s a long project, don’t want to lose interest..

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

looking good, hope to play it finished one day

And the last and final rule — if you’ve never played Fight Club Pinball... then you HAVE to play!

Come to the nw show next year - should be there in whatever state it’s in at that point. Too early along for this year probably but we’ll see

#63 6 years ago

On my way to pick up stainless for ball guides and upper ramp. In the mean time I’ve been pondering this:

8F1ABF8A-45D6-46F2-A272-3BB09A4C7A41 (resized).jpeg8F1ABF8A-45D6-46F2-A272-3BB09A4C7A41 (resized).jpeg

The left side at the pencil is my 5bank drop set. I think it’s ok here but I’ve been looking at other games and it’s not typical to have pf components out so far on the sides. Can’t decide if it’s going to be an issue- may try some slo mo video to see where shots are coming off the flipper going that way.

Ok, metal picked up. Lucked out and onlinemetals.com has a pickup location here so saved $20 in shipping although it was an hour of driving or so.
    01367402-6266-49B9-95C2-BE41E21F8A1A (resized).jpeg01367402-6266-49B9-95C2-BE41E21F8A1A (resized).jpeg

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Worker flips can win
    Extra balls can score away
    The pin is their slave
    My all-time favorite movie. Almost too much gold to mine with this one. Eagerly following. Would be fun to use a captive ball as a piece of "corporate art"...

Thanks — love the haiku that’s another side mission I’ve thought about — some shot or combo will collect haikus I am thinking. I like the corporate art captive ball. Right now the idea is the skyscraper lowers 2 levels and the ball crashes thru like the coffee shop to a subway beneath it ideas are always changing as I go.

Love the thoughts and ideAs so far though - keeps me thinking

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

You did get my -updated- measurement for those drops right! Just double checking, still looks kind of long.
    It is sticking out a bit: maybe try how it feels with the back angled to the side a bit more, but doesn't seem it is blocking shots. It doesn't look like you have any upper left backhand shots anyway. I take it that scoop behind it is in only, right?

I did yeah thanks -- Actually at that same time I found someone else who *just* got a FF and he measured the exact 5 bank I am getting - matched your updated measurements. The piece of styrofoam I'm using is actually 1/4" short or so.. What do you mean by angling the back more - so it's closer to straight up/down and less into the playfield? I am wondering why Stern has gone with angling targets in similar positions.. it seems like they used to be much more straight but you look at ACDC, SW.. they are much more angled. The left flip backhand shots -- yeah not too many, you can hit the orbit and ramp I think. I don't want the 5-bank to be a main focus which will happen if it's angled so it's the cleanest shot off the flippers.

Quoted from fisherdaman:

you should do a "his name is Robert Paulson" mode similar to the doah mode in TSPP.

yes! The lane change at the pops is 3 positions so right now I'm going with "BOB", and maybe after a certain # completions you hit Robert Paulson mode. For some reason it make me also think of Being John Malkovich - when he goes into his own head "malkovich? Malkovich! Malkvovich"

Quoted from mrm_4:

I also hear the narrator saying "we have the exact same briefcase!" when the game gives a Match Credit.

That's a great idea!! Writing it down for when I get to that point. Maybe the animations rotates thru different briefcase for 00-90 or something for the match.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

The "Stealing Fat" theme would be great as the ball rests at the plunger.
    » YouTube video

I like it! There's a lot of great material on the soundtrack that just needs to be cut up and clipped to size that is usable I think. I am planning on having a number of different shoot lane tracks and each ball 1 - 3 will have maybe 3 different tracks that could be selected to play thru a random selection generator.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Great concept! Looking good so far!

Do you have one of these? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-8593

$6 -- dang, cheap!! No I don't have one yet -- I spent a long time trying to find one that was cheap and looked like it would work well.. ordered something that's coming, I think it's similar to this will have to see.. The one I wanted was more substantial but Harbor Freight discontinued it and they just sold out. May have to order one of these too and try it -- hate to pay $6 in shipping for $6 item.. will have to gather together some more parts needs for an order. thanks!

#79 6 years ago

2/16/18

Got my longest guide bent - need to clean up done hot glue before fastening in place.
    F42CFBB4-1549-41A3-8814-F7A4BA3A6F72 (resized).jpegF42CFBB4-1549-41A3-8814-F7A4BA3A6F72 (resized).jpeg

Prototyping skyscraper in wood now. It will have an opto set in front to register hits when all the way up. Lowers two positions with a rack/pinion gear system below Playfield. Will have a slightly larger case around it below that will funnel balls down to subway. Tentatively at least.
    3B9A5DFB-DDF4-465F-A9EE-EC03F9002039 (resized).jpeg3B9A5DFB-DDF4-465F-A9EE-EC03F9002039 (resized).jpeg
    C11A8F6E-265C-4102-9493-C9EB577CDFD7 (resized).jpegC11A8F6E-265C-4102-9493-C9EB577CDFD7 (resized).jpeg

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Wow, that looks tall... at that forward distance from the back wall, will the back of the cabinet glass clear it? You don't wanna pull a Jpop

It appears tall yes — but that’s because it has over an inch below the Playfield to engage the rack/pinion gearing. Zoom in - there’s a line I drew about 2” up where they Playfield level is. It’s 5.75” above the Playfield - should fit.

Quoted from Prefect:

I think this thread breaks the first rule of fight club. Just FYI.

There was no way around that I’m afraid LOL - but I figure anyone in here has got to be a member ...

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

This is a great thread!!! I've been following the crazy mansion build and it's one of my favorite threads and now I get to follow another cool build thread.someday when I retire I hope to do my own build or even a retheme,Cheech and Chong would be my choice.good luck and have fun.

Can’t compete with the crazy mansion — except that I can build on days besides Friday, but the Amigos are awesome and I’m a follower as well.

#89 6 years ago

2/17/18

Ok time to get this back guide installed..
    344A85AE-ACE9-4CFD-966B-E3BE7346E4FB (resized).jpeg344A85AE-ACE9-4CFD-966B-E3BE7346E4FB (resized).jpeg

Drill some holes for screws and to mount angle brackets.
    2E5F05F1-DF10-4FCE-B033-4CCA826D1759 (resized).jpeg2E5F05F1-DF10-4FCE-B033-4CCA826D1759 (resized).jpeg

And boom! Installed. Using ramp screws for now, just enough clearance below the ball. This took way longer than it should have.. and disheartening as it involved a lot of deconstruction but stuff is going back on now. Couple more critical guides and then on to something else.
    5E9EF3A6-1500-4385-AC7C-B25F81BD4A1C (resized).jpeg5E9EF3A6-1500-4385-AC7C-B25F81BD4A1C (resized).jpeg

#90 6 years ago

Mail!! Hey hey- turns out I did order that exact wire bender that Marco sells LOL - I had no idea what I had ordered. Will try that out Monday.

229B57A1-8802-435D-91BC-BC730B1EEA1F (resized).jpeg229B57A1-8802-435D-91BC-BC730B1EEA1F (resized).jpeg

And from another awesome pinsider — some breakout boards for optos. So weird - this I the second letter of pin parts I’ve received in last couple weeks and both of them arrived like this:
    1AE28FC9-7744-4A1C-A5E4-EB2D9620844D (resized).jpeg1AE28FC9-7744-4A1C-A5E4-EB2D9620844D (resized).jpeg
    Totally tipped open! Crazy mail handlers throwing these things around!

Boards:
    6DEB18E7-F381-4853-B3DF-3DCAEF8C5314 (resized).jpeg6DEB18E7-F381-4853-B3DF-3DCAEF8C5314 (resized).jpeg

#91 6 years ago

Disclaimer: damn metal edges are sharp. I thought this might happen eventually...and it did.

9C834745-C243-4CEF-A5C7-2A13F027887D (resized).jpeg9C834745-C243-4CEF-A5C7-2A13F027887D (resized).jpeg

Guides are in after a lot of grinding, filing, bending, and dicking around with them.

395FD46D-62C5-422E-963C-CE7CBCD782C6 (resized).jpeg395FD46D-62C5-422E-963C-CE7CBCD782C6 (resized).jpeg

Here’s my elevator mech. I didn’t think this was going to work and I was looking at ordering a rack pinion gear system but this might actually be perfect after some grinding and bending. It should fit under the Playfield allowing room for subways and provides bonus nice solid glide system on the metal shafts. Another nice shadow mech usage.
    1E1B6455-A4EB-4063-8365-DED4CB9A3751 (resized).jpeg1E1B6455-A4EB-4063-8365-DED4CB9A3751 (resized).jpegCFA24617-1D63-46E6-8596-45295A175470 (resized).jpegCFA24617-1D63-46E6-8596-45295A175470 (resized).jpeg

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Looking awesome! You need a PAPER ST street sign topper!

Thanks for the reminder! At a minimum I do need a paper street street sign for somewhere on Playfield and keep forgetting about it. Topper would be cool

2/18/18

Trying to piece stuff together from spare parts.. turns out wms coils are slightly longer than Gottlieb by about 2mm or so.. my wms coil ain’t gonna fit so it’s gottileb for now to lift the ramp.
    133013C6-BD10-4102-AF18-03D50FFF1CFA (resized).jpeg133013C6-BD10-4102-AF18-03D50FFF1CFA (resized).jpeg

I didn’t want to pay $30 for a mini coil to control the orbit gates when I have like 10 of them here from this old gottileb pf. So it’s to the garage to make some proto brackets in wood.
    A356552E-9876-4889-9113-9F67D42DC48B (resized).jpegA356552E-9876-4889-9113-9F67D42DC48B (resized).jpeg
    EAA5C186-254F-44D1-8188-7B1FB282E8D1 (resized).jpegEAA5C186-254F-44D1-8188-7B1FB282E8D1 (resized).jpeg

Got the shadow bracket in place below the skyscraper. Still need to secure it, then I can figure out switch needs to trigger the 3 positions.
    D33604C0-C420-4803-90B5-EC40226F54B3 (resized).jpegD33604C0-C420-4803-90B5-EC40226F54B3 (resized).jpeg

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

I hear you. Went through this decision last weekend. I broke down and bought the coil. It also came with a actuator spring. Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a bracket to just use a stock relay.

That would be great - yet another great 3d print option!

I think I’m going to order 1 to see what they look like.. in mean time I made one with wood and an old spring. Works pretty good actually.
    7EAECB58-60BE-4BB1-92C2-C4E45C9A0BAD (resized).jpeg7EAECB58-60BE-4BB1-92C2-C4E45C9A0BAD (resized).jpegF9535C7F-139B-40FA-950D-E4982ABB3061 (resized).jpegF9535C7F-139B-40FA-950D-E4982ABB3061 (resized).jpeg8E41970A-478F-4373-BB7B-267CBEEBBBAF (resized).jpeg8E41970A-478F-4373-BB7B-267CBEEBBBAF (resized).jpeg

#98 6 years ago

2/20/18

Spent the morning building this..
    CF540F58-DD26-4268-8C63-73985AA7E1DF (resized).jpegCF540F58-DD26-4268-8C63-73985AA7E1DF (resized).jpeg
    89B6001A-E8E0-4D76-98E0-F8F7E4D2DDF3 (resized).jpeg89B6001A-E8E0-4D76-98E0-F8F7E4D2DDF3 (resized).jpeg

The skyscraper is mounted now and has the correct movement needed up and down just barely. Next up is to figure out the position switches and build a quick proto subway where the square is sharpied on the wood.

Also did some metal work - not a great job at all as I was hurrying along but got the upper ramp built mostly. Did 2 consecutive loops on it without it being secured completely so it should work ok I think. Gonna need some trimming later on.
    CBAFB013-2E23-4F68-9EA7-B72D04201658 (resized).jpegCBAFB013-2E23-4F68-9EA7-B72D04201658 (resized).jpeg

Of course after mounting all the upper lane change guides, I realized stern/Sega ones are not as wide and I should be able to squeeze an extra in.. meaning the lanes will become “soap” for a soap bonus multiplier on each completion I think. Or something else..I dunno, but Soap pretty for certain.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from adamross:

Wow... this is the one to watch. Shaping up very nicely. One of the best home brew themes ever!

Thanks! glad at least a few pinsiders are into the theme

I put the “ramps” back on for a quick shot to date of progress. Still have not gotten to rest of wire forms. I need to pick up a blow torch this week and then will try brazing the brass forms with solder. Hopefully finished about the time the rest of the mechs arrive from Bulgaria.
    F121C5CA-7B27-4798-B5ED-9F6A35283F40 (resized).jpegF121C5CA-7B27-4798-B5ED-9F6A35283F40 (resized).jpeg

#102 6 years ago

Thanks swinks ! I’m official

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I can't believe the progress you have made in a relatively short amount of time. Great theme and looks to be a great layout. I'm following.

Thanks Monk — I probably have other things I should have been doing some of the time but when I get going on a project I may get a little obsessed haha. Can’t keep up with some of these other guys though - last starfighter came together so damn quick and I’m super impressed with swinks and his CAD skills and awesome surf theme pin.

#106 6 years ago

Divertor is def. staying, I’m a big fan of that. Right now I don’t see much on the chopping block - I’ve got a plan for most mechs but we’ll see how it plays when wired up.

2/22/18
    Not too much done today but I was wondering if there’s a fight club font as that’s what I’d like to use for the display. lo and behold there is indeed! (See below). Fired up a document to start getting higher level details down defining all shots/mechs, modes and how they work, finale, etc. I will go into more detail on each mode later (defining sounds/lights/triggers,mode enter/exit,etc.) once everything is functioning. Also will do seperate document for scoring. Not super interesting to post about, but here’s a shot just to show the fight club font (at top):
    C590681D-A57B-4170-8CAE-733C2BCD737E (resized).jpegC590681D-A57B-4170-8CAE-733C2BCD737E (resized).jpeg

Worked a bit on 2nd wireform. These are really a pain to bend exactly. The first is easier but the 2nd is hard to match. Can’t wait to get them brazed and in place though - will be satisfying to complete.
    6338B41C-7518-4589-841C-0C921E4B0A7C (resized).jpeg6338B41C-7518-4589-841C-0C921E4B0A7C (resized).jpeg77CAEE99-DFB8-4B6A-9B3B-BE36B7243BEC (resized).jpeg77CAEE99-DFB8-4B6A-9B3B-BE36B7243BEC (resized).jpeg

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from dookski:

"Slide" should be a purposeful drain to start a mode. Maybe a mode start shot that leads to outlane?

Thought about that - not specifically a shot but purposely trying to go down an outlane to start something.. interesting twist to start a mode. On side note, I remembered a couple good quotes for drains:

“This is your {game} and it’s ending one {drain} at a time”

“On a long enough time scale, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero “

Quoted from MattG:

So I noticed your sheet says "Rules, Sounds, Display and Lighting."
    I do believe you are missing one very important rule at the top of the sheet.
    In fact, I would say it's the first rule...

Lol so true so true, I will add that tonight - the first rule of fight club Pinball is that you don’t talk about fight club Pinball.

#112 6 years ago

2/24/18
    Errands today mostly, running around town to find a torch and brazing rods. Had to order rods in the end but picked up a torch and got another form mocked up for fit:
    FDA48150-79A9-4055-BB74-FFEC4E095EF5 (resized).jpegFDA48150-79A9-4055-BB74-FFEC4E095EF5 (resized).jpeg
    3333DB91-FFDD-4DDB-8B13-9EC0D89548E9 (resized).jpeg3333DB91-FFDD-4DDB-8B13-9EC0D89548E9 (resized).jpeg

Pinball life order delivered this morning as well — love opening these packages. They do an awesome packing job. Unfortunately it’s like Costco - you can’t get out without spending $200+ and wondering how the hell that added up so quickly. Have flipper mechs for lower Playfield now so I can start getting that laid out on wood.
    B8AADEEF-F48E-4C92-ADB1-0C7530B92287 (resized).jpegB8AADEEF-F48E-4C92-ADB1-0C7530B92287 (resized).jpeg

Also - the stern lane guides. These things are sweet - did not realize the posts are integrated into the guide, that’s a smart design! Pulled out my larger wms ones and fitted the sterns. Yep - that will do it I think, 4 lanes with s few adjustments for SOAP. Sweet!

ADB17F58-725F-4C5D-A5E9-A0E89AF8A26D (resized).jpegADB17F58-725F-4C5D-A5E9-A0E89AF8A26D (resized).jpeg
    A222ADFC-0604-4B41-BB1A-D44CFC9FE502 (resized).jpegA222ADFC-0604-4B41-BB1A-D44CFC9FE502 (resized).jpeg

#115 6 years ago

Thanks Fortytwo — I just tried to rubber them only to discover the rubbers were loose on the smaller side. Then I also discovered I somehow did not order 3/8 rubber in my shipment and I don’t have any. Grrrrr.

#118 6 years ago

2/26/18

Feeling behind now.. copper brazing rods and flux came today and my wireforms both need 2x more wires bent for each.

AADC9464-882F-4ECF-BFAD-A8E921B3868C (resized).jpegAADC9464-882F-4ECF-BFAD-A8E921B3868C (resized).jpeg

Was going to graze Friday, but then this arrived from Bulgaria:

E507FD7E-2259-4F8C-A681-D34C8F8B0F57 (resized).jpegE507FD7E-2259-4F8C-A681-D34C8F8B0F57 (resized).jpeg

What’s inside?!? Ordered 4 weeks ago and I’ve completely forgotten. Let’s open Er up:

02EAD901-81B4-4284-8D78-CAB224CC988C (resized).jpeg02EAD901-81B4-4284-8D78-CAB224CC988C (resized).jpeg

Dragon packages this stuff pretty good - but it’s akso all used so you never know exactly what you’re getting although it’s always a great deal imo, just got to be willing to clean done stuff up and adjust or replace an opto here or there.

Here’s the haul in package #1:

D4360D30-49BF-4B8A-BEBF-89E19D9D8D6D (resized).jpegD4360D30-49BF-4B8A-BEBF-89E19D9D8D6D (resized).jpeg

My pops, up post, lane save kicker, 5 bank, some extra spinners to try, a variety of vuks, and a huge 1-ball trough from flipper football (possibly for lower Playfield but rethinking that after seeing it’s size.

0560AF71-1C24-4716-8379-1B213B6A88E6 (resized).jpeg0560AF71-1C24-4716-8379-1B213B6A88E6 (resized).jpeg

Interesting to see how differently these mechs were designed as well— vuks:

A7C004D2-D961-441D-890E-10C5853A45EE (resized).jpegA7C004D2-D961-441D-890E-10C5853A45EE (resized).jpeg

Unfortunately I’m still fitting the new lane guides so I’ve got lots to do before getting back to wire forms now. Aaand- still package #1 about a week out. Somehow customs held it 2weeks extra. No idea what else I needed but apparently there’s something goodies in it

#119 6 years ago

3/2/18

No time to braze today, spent morning finally getting upper lane guides fitted correctly, installed matching pop bumpers, and did some post/rubber work.

D7FEC701-CC0D-41D6-99C6-6B85801E35FE (resized).jpegD7FEC701-CC0D-41D6-99C6-6B85801E35FE (resized).jpeg

Then went back to wiring— want scoops hooked up so I can see where they are firing to.
    AB124185-6C25-4075-AFA5-FF2E4A7619DE (resized).jpegAB124185-6C25-4075-AFA5-FF2E4A7619DE (resized).jpeg

Been a long time since I’ve wired.. forgot where I left off. Added a 3208 board to my collection- what a rats nest already:
    94F7D4A4-40B5-4E8A-9673-FBA503F431CE (resized).jpeg94F7D4A4-40B5-4E8A-9673-FBA503F431CE (resized).jpeg

Added this guy near the Playfield to get a few optos going:
    6C4C883E-7009-41BE-9F13-D8E56091BAFE (resized).jpeg6C4C883E-7009-41BE-9F13-D8E56091BAFE (resized).jpeg

Finished by getting the middle scoop coil in my config file and successfully firing from it with a simulated (keyboard) switch for the moment. Next up is my left scoop so I can decide where to cut a hole for the 5bank drops.

#121 6 years ago

Just added up my driver needs - I’m at 40 with 2 flasher circuits, and 3 servos.. still a couple things I wanted to add on lower of though so likely 44 drivers & 4 servo total. Damn that added up fast!! Hard with 5 flippers- that’s 10 drivers burned already. Still feels like I have to be mid-adding though lol. What a mess of cable this will be!

#124 6 years ago

Lol Fortytwo - project wiring mayhem I like that. Def a version 1. I like how you are layering yours out I will follow suit when that time comes.

Quoted from jwilson:

You could go single-wound on the coils and use one driver per. There's also the option to wire them up system 11 style with an EOS.

That’s true - but you run into the stern coil buzzing issues that way (single wound). Could go sys11 on the upper Playfield upper flipper— but for the lower pf I don’t want them firing unless the ball is there. However, those might actually be a good candidate for single windings.. will depend how close I am on drivers but nice option.. could get back 3.

#125 6 years ago

3/3/18
    Christmas again - final package here from Bulgaria.

F1C89E27-0EDE-483C-A7E2-7A5ED030CFD2 (resized).jpegF1C89E27-0EDE-483C-A7E2-7A5ED030CFD2 (resized).jpeg

Lots of mechs, what is all this stuff?!?

BE4DE832-6797-432D-998D-FA57ED4A5559 (resized).jpegBE4DE832-6797-432D-998D-FA57ED4A5559 (resized).jpeg

Wow, lots of options now.. certainly more than I will use but I like having options. Hopefully I will have a second build down the road that I can use some of the extras on..
    B4067629-D4A3-41A6-B2FD-F6C9119408EC (resized).jpegB4067629-D4A3-41A6-B2FD-F6C9119408EC (resized).jpeg

Ok, fun times but back to work on wiring for now.

#127 6 years ago

Thanks grivin !

5hrs of adding to the rats nest today. Connectorizing most mechs for easy removal and swap.. takes time though. Brought up 48v and ground to Playfield to lessen wiring needs. 6A6770C9-784E-4578-B1CB-6FDF54C0AD5C (resized).jpeg6A6770C9-784E-4578-B1CB-6FDF54C0AD5C (resized).jpegD5D3A5BF-74F3-4E9A-8B82-987644828D68 (resized).jpegD5D3A5BF-74F3-4E9A-8B82-987644828D68 (resized).jpeg

#128 6 years ago

3/4/18

Another 6hrs today, got 5 bank installed and reset coil wired, some posts in, more targets, spinner:
    C1486FFD-E8E5-40F1-9679-DF63D4001336 (resized).jpegC1486FFD-E8E5-40F1-9679-DF63D4001336 (resized).jpeg

Left kickback:
    0B1F7D55-4C5C-42B6-82FD-C6CA5F161254 (resized).jpeg0B1F7D55-4C5C-42B6-82FD-C6CA5F161254 (resized).jpeg

and changed out my gottileb lift ramp mech for far superior jackpot mech with a locking up position (dropped back down with mini coil) :

45E3D084-F702-4C0C-B4ED-EEFCB862A329 (resized).jpeg45E3D084-F702-4C0C-B4ED-EEFCB862A329 (resized).jpeg

Did a lot of scoop position testing with SLO-mo as well.. nice to have a couple working now + pop cooks wired (just need to wire switches). The 5-bank has a mini coil that drops the middle target — going to be a jackpot multiplier shot to a saucer or just a hole that drops down to left vuk more likely..

6FD4F1C7-6085-429E-8100-B212CFD01E42 (resized).jpeg6FD4F1C7-6085-429E-8100-B212CFD01E42 (resized).jpeg

Also decided to leave guides OFF the left upper ramp so a slow shot falls back down into the left orbit lane.

Vuk is going in next and will protype first subway.. unless I get caught up wiring pop bumpers

#129 6 years ago

Wireform brazing getting delayed.. going to try and get all pf holes cut first and finish up anything below them first.

#132 6 years ago

3/7/18

Hard to get things done in the weekdays with work. Few things though-

Cut some more holes for subway entrances and vuk. Then today, got a couple presents in the mail:

F9DC4824-12DA-4D19-8A72-822C7BB66729 (resized).jpegF9DC4824-12DA-4D19-8A72-822C7BB66729 (resized).jpeg

Thank you Aaron and Dave fastpinball !!!! Trough boards to replace my wms ones that are giving me shit all the time. If this fixes my issues I’m gonna be stoked!

Also:
    00A40BB7-A738-437C-A859-183EE3A8644F (resized).jpeg00A40BB7-A738-437C-A859-183EE3A8644F (resized).jpeg
    Few random things for testing. Found a wide top drop target replacement for my capcom slim ones — stern/dataeast ones. Gonna order 5 in black.

Also working on lower pf design:

4705B486-6C19-459E-AB3F-8CC20CBD047E (resized).jpeg4705B486-6C19-459E-AB3F-8CC20CBD047E (resized).jpeg
    Not final but a concept for now. Kind of an afm style middle shot, with 4 loops on the sides and spinners and targets. Want it to be fun.. no idea if this will be fun until I proto it though. Will prob be a bit wider than standard lower, with standard mini flippers.

#133 6 years ago

Mmm- 2 opto switches for the mini loops too.. 17 switches

#134 6 years ago

Working on subways now.. using s few parts I had - hacked this into 3 pieces:

B2318099-EF8D-4D0B-97AA-8B0FCFD369D4 (resized).jpegB2318099-EF8D-4D0B-97AA-8B0FCFD369D4 (resized).jpeg

Top scoop goes here after some bending and drilling:

4DAF283C-7487-44C2-83D3-E4CFB0A04A89 (resized).jpeg4DAF283C-7487-44C2-83D3-E4CFB0A04A89 (resized).jpeg

Back subway #1 hole drilled - just enough clearance below to get around back to the far right side to my behind the backboard vuk. 9E9B7076-7F82-482E-A54C-75799FDC6B4D (resized).jpeg9E9B7076-7F82-482E-A54C-75799FDC6B4D (resized).jpeg

Pl parts in - some extra hardware and rubbers.. ordered a few samples of stuff in diff colors to try out too. E324A153-FF98-4B36-84CA-4923374FCA30 (resized).jpegE324A153-FF98-4B36-84CA-4923374FCA30 (resized).jpeg

#135 6 years ago

3/11/18

Couple hours today -

Back to foam core and hot glue for a bit to work out subways before I attempt origami on some plexiglass with a heat gun to bend it into shape.
    4A1D9E21-DBCC-4070-A43B-48F8BF829563 (resized).jpeg4A1D9E21-DBCC-4070-A43B-48F8BF829563 (resized).jpeg5D80C26A-3456-4CEC-A4ED-26D356706519 (resized).jpeg5D80C26A-3456-4CEC-A4ED-26D356706519 (resized).jpeg

Subway fitted and feeding vuk:

DFAEBACE-9F94-45FE-9E77-A32D68AAFBBD (resized).jpegDFAEBACE-9F94-45FE-9E77-A32D68AAFBBD (resized).jpeg
    Bit trickier on this one as it rolls against gravity. Tight fit with 5 bank drops back in:

64899700-1AC3-4D0D-9914-1A17269014E2 (resized).jpeg64899700-1AC3-4D0D-9914-1A17269014E2 (resized).jpeg

Two more feeds to this vuk to do next. Also tried out the roll-over style drop I got for testing — should work good but will be a bit of fitting work. 75C31C7D-05C7-48F9-ABA7-F32D12E98B93 (resized).jpeg75C31C7D-05C7-48F9-ABA7-F32D12E98B93 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #136 6 years ago

3/18/18

Cutting, bending, drilling, and grinding today. End result isn’t pretty but it’s functional - subway shot is complete from under the left ramp to the billboard lock on my backboard.

Started today with an issue - the wood pf supports to keep it at 6.5 degrees are now in the way of progress. Subway needs to fed thru them.
    A8B08702-E4BF-47F7-8BEF-8C130AA66BB1 (resized).jpegA8B08702-E4BF-47F7-8BEF-8C130AA66BB1 (resized).jpeg

So- sawzaw time (and drilling, etc.)
    026A8915-6EC0-4B23-94B7-75D6AF99F561 (resized).jpeg026A8915-6EC0-4B23-94B7-75D6AF99F561 (resized).jpeg

Good to go now:
    ABF1F2C3-EEAD-45EB-93A1-B3090D20A1B2 (resized).jpegABF1F2C3-EEAD-45EB-93A1-B3090D20A1B2 (resized).jpeg

Grinded and bent the crap out of this piece
    5653485D-0A85-4453-9298-D10F38FFB148 (resized).jpeg5653485D-0A85-4453-9298-D10F38FFB148 (resized).jpeg

To get this first section:

F68AC0B7-0621-4CA8-92E5-6343FB3D040B (resized).jpegF68AC0B7-0621-4CA8-92E5-6343FB3D040B (resized).jpeg

Second section will be this wireform after some more transformation. Found it laying around here..

3195BA8B-AD70-4AF1-AA2B-03B9307FB8F6 (resized).jpeg3195BA8B-AD70-4AF1-AA2B-03B9307FB8F6 (resized).jpeg

And we’re golden! Feeds around to a vuk.
    36AAE079-6139-4239-AF45-B730FFAC0813 (resized).jpeg36AAE079-6139-4239-AF45-B730FFAC0813 (resized).jpeg

Mocked up the vuk shaft and the feed ramp for the lock:
    09FAA78A-3C23-4870-B424-DC6F5571F3E8 (resized).jpeg09FAA78A-3C23-4870-B424-DC6F5571F3E8 (resized).jpeg

And the flip side - the mock billboard. Using a up/down post sideways to release locked balls for now.. will eventually be a servo mech. The motorized billboard will likely be one of the last pieces as I want to get this thing shootable first.
    89C729B1-7CC7-4228-AC2C-3B34C28EF1F8 (resized).jpeg89C729B1-7CC7-4228-AC2C-3B34C28EF1F8 (resized).jpeg

Have another idea now for a small upper Playfield that the mayhem (billboard) lock would feed.. will experiment down the road with that one.

#141 6 years ago

Thanks all for incouraging words I have ideas but it kind of morphs as I go along. I’ve been fortunate that no mechs have interfered yet, although I’m getting sone tight fits as of late as more things come together. Hadn’t thought much about ramp count- just 3 but there’s 5 paths because of divertor and under ramp flap + 4 subway entrances. Not quite the flow that demo man has though ha!

Few days this upcoming weekend to hopefully get wireforms built and installed so it’s shootable again. Will be exciting to get there + some wiring so more mechs work.

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

This is incredible!! Well done!! I’m in the early stages of planning for my own movie-themed pin, so I’ll be following this closely. And maybe stealing some ideas...

Awesome — Hope you do a build thread! And steal away

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vipond:

Wow, amazing work! Great theme as well, one of the few movies I could watch over and over.

Yeah it’s probably embarrassing how many times I’ve watched it lol.

3/22/18

Battling the final segment of subway. Super tired of doing subway work - luckily I got thru it mostly.. minor tweaks from here on out (on this version at least).

This is the housing under the sckyscraper lock that goes up and down.
    6DE545D1-DE0D-41E4-8648-F9DA25D893EE (resized).jpeg6DE545D1-DE0D-41E4-8648-F9DA25D893EE (resized).jpeg

The balls fly down the shaft pretty damn quick so I’ve got a metal guide going in there.
    5D84C7F8-B64E-459E-AD32-BD27616EE684 (resized).jpeg5D84C7F8-B64E-459E-AD32-BD27616EE684 (resized).jpeg55740BF2-54F5-4733-B704-C8E8DFCF0905 (resized).jpeg55740BF2-54F5-4733-B704-C8E8DFCF0905 (resized).jpeg

Got that working pretty good - the final piece is from this shaft about 6” to a vuk under the Playfield that fires up to an upper subway portion. There was no way to directly hit the other subway portion - this section is much lower. The benefit is that I can stage two ball locks here with the Optos - probably have a 3rd switch for the final lock.

So- the final section:
    B4863A8D-6195-429F-937F-483FD0696D80 (resized).jpegB4863A8D-6195-429F-937F-483FD0696D80 (resized).jpeg5771CFF1-F34D-48BF-ACC7-1A5800C614F5 (resized).jpeg5771CFF1-F34D-48BF-ACC7-1A5800C614F5 (resized).jpeg659AE4BD-6A21-4A23-9C56-297A873C2A38 (resized).jpeg659AE4BD-6A21-4A23-9C56-297A873C2A38 (resized).jpeg

Yeah that seems to do the trick. Bit of work to get it perm. Attached, and we’re good.
    89C7F926-8A9B-472B-BAA5-DF6CE81BEDF9 (resized).jpeg89C7F926-8A9B-472B-BAA5-DF6CE81BEDF9 (resized).jpeg

This is right side up- under the Playfield looking at completed subway.

Installing some Optos next and I should be able to repopulate ramps up top.
    F98471DE-3EE4-42B5-8AE0-CAAAB1228F85 (resized).jpegF98471DE-3EE4-42B5-8AE0-CAAAB1228F85 (resized).jpeg

#148 6 years ago

View from above all that - scyscraper in full up and full down positions.

201C8558-8A55-4E48-BA7E-0FFC156F817D (resized).jpeg201C8558-8A55-4E48-BA7E-0FFC156F817D (resized).jpeg

ABCB1B1A-C989-4141-8B91-FDB6565A1D2F (resized).jpegABCB1B1A-C989-4141-8B91-FDB6565A1D2F (resized).jpeg

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Looking great! Gonna finish it in time for the NW Pinball & Arcade Show in June? FYI, if you need more old parts from playfields, coils, drop target banks, kickers, all assembled, etc. I have a bunch from a couple of Williams 80s playfields I stripped that I'm happy to sell cheap or donate to the cause. I'm local and have bins of parts.

Ha! I wish! I think by June I should have things working.. but no real code and no inserts yet. For sure planning on 2019 show though.

Thanks for the offer! I’m trying to fit an old gottileb saucer/kickut hole and if I can’t get it I’d be looking for an alternate design - wms might do the trick if you have one of those around?

#151 6 years ago

Opto time. E6814C74-A29E-49AC-96E3-640575200351 (resized).jpegE6814C74-A29E-49AC-96E3-640575200351 (resized).jpeg

Removed guides to drill opto holes. Gave up after 2 holes - must have wrong bit or I’m doing something wrong.. took forever to drill out holes - lots of smoke and things getting hot lol. Decided to cut out sections with grinder rather than drill holes. Final version will have holes.. this is good enough for now to save frustration.

5D960CB0-A980-4EB1-9B26-465E54386F88 (resized).jpeg5D960CB0-A980-4EB1-9B26-465E54386F88 (resized).jpeg

0F7E716D-1C28-4516-B0AD-D8CB222EEBAB (resized).jpeg0F7E716D-1C28-4516-B0AD-D8CB222EEBAB (resized).jpeg

#152 6 years ago

Optos in on mini loop.
    D3A62C85-82CC-47AF-8C8D-005A04A9E94A (resized).jpegD3A62C85-82CC-47AF-8C8D-005A04A9E94A (resized).jpeg

Fit checking with ramp again.

DB2365CC-C52E-4A35-8950-4E14A20F7630 (resized).jpegDB2365CC-C52E-4A35-8950-4E14A20F7630 (resized).jpeg

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Love it!
    I don't know much about cutting metal but were you using metal bits and some lubrication?
    My library has a laser cutter and the local makerspace does also. It makes quick work out of metal, may want to consider that route for your "production" model.

Thanks for the laser tip! That’s a great idea. I was using metal bits and lube yeah - but a hand drill which may be part of the issue. I lost the damn chuck to my bench drill

#157 6 years ago

3/23/18

Cable management — the more you get wired the more you realize that there’s no way to make this pretty and correct when you wire in stuff as you design and install mechs. I’m going to follow Fortytwo s wiring scheme and once the design is done- I’m going to transfer all mechs to a new pre routed Playfield and then wire up from scratch with switches and lighting underneath and high voltage runs away from the Playfield.

A236325A-7275-4D66-BD62-C5D7D4782F41 (resized).jpegA236325A-7275-4D66-BD62-C5D7D4782F41 (resized).jpeg

98210DA4-A31A-4388-AD37-BBD1C3193C76 (resized).jpeg98210DA4-A31A-4388-AD37-BBD1C3193C76 (resized).jpeg

#158 6 years ago

Got mini orbit Optos working today - trying to connectorize everything now so it’s less hassle later.. takes a while though.

On to wireforms—
    I’m using bronze 1/8 wire, brazed with a torch and copper phosphate rods. Never done this before, so I started with my smallest form which is the ball launch 180 to flipper feed.

First off - need some rings. Bent straight wire wraps around plumbing pipe and cut them all on one side:
    6EFFEBAF-19DB-4BDC-B84D-284A59582366 (resized).jpeg6EFFEBAF-19DB-4BDC-B84D-284A59582366 (resized).jpeg

I already had drilled wood blocks so I’ll use those for spacing. Metal is ideal but there’s no way I’m gonna spend all day trying to drill holes.
    F01D776F-BDED-41E9-B2B6-EE01B3BFB75A (resized).jpegF01D776F-BDED-41E9-B2B6-EE01B3BFB75A (resized).jpeg

First ring:
    5C3EEDD6-CEFE-469A-849D-14D109902EE7 (resized).jpeg5C3EEDD6-CEFE-469A-849D-14D109902EE7 (resized).jpeg

Finished form: 96B87F4C-67FC-4422-B216-B44302C6E34F (resized).jpeg96B87F4C-67FC-4422-B216-B44302C6E34F (resized).jpeg

And in the Playfield:
    D1A8C840-9B8E-4C7D-A0F7-44F9FC88C9F4 (resized).jpegD1A8C840-9B8E-4C7D-A0F7-44F9FC88C9F4 (resized).jpeg

#159 6 years ago

That’s designed to be a fast feed like the custom Doom pin — the skill shot is selected like ghostbusters and you try to hit the shot from the flipper. Either that or I’ll have a spinner in the shooter lane that rotates the skill shot for each spin.

Anyway, I hand tested the launch and it rockets outta there - gonna have to be quick to get your hand back on the flipper button which should be amusing.

#160 6 years ago

I failed to realize that I had purchased brazing flux and was getting pretty irritated by the end of that little ramp. Luckily someone pointed this out to me and the next one as much more enjoyable to build.

I took a look at some Apollo 13 forms I had for parts - found s good fit in the left side and did some cutting to get the right section.
    B9F0F5E8-663C-4FF8-A9DC-FCA7D412A78B (resized).jpegB9F0F5E8-663C-4FF8-A9DC-FCA7D412A78B (resized).jpeg

Two down, three more to go. Next one is my biggest. The cardboard one on the left.
    156AEC67-8B3A-488E-A416-8626B3E68AC0 (resized).jpeg156AEC67-8B3A-488E-A416-8626B3E68AC0 (resized).jpeg

In progress and complete:
    063B81C6-9177-4775-B142-A1E9AE103881 (resized).jpeg063B81C6-9177-4775-B142-A1E9AE103881 (resized).jpegDEE41D08-639B-427E-BA74-CFA5AC970ADD (resized).jpegDEE41D08-639B-427E-BA74-CFA5AC970ADD (resized).jpeg

#161 6 years ago

Next up - right ramp, diverted left

927157E0-BD4F-48A0-A872-5A3CC9EA1CD0 (resized).jpeg927157E0-BD4F-48A0-A872-5A3CC9EA1CD0 (resized).jpeg

#166 6 years ago

Roughed in.. more grinding and bit more brazing to get them secured and seated - will remove excess rings and such to clean them up a bit as well. Seem to work well though.. I suspect slow balls might get hung up however.

R ramp, diverted left still left to do. This one will lock guided meditation balls on far right side on the form with an up post. This will be inside the power animal cave (to be 3d printed one day)

3FF97028-FD3C-4C40-846D-B2270843F4B7 (resized).jpeg3FF97028-FD3C-4C40-846D-B2270843F4B7 (resized).jpeg

21C047A1-4BA1-4626-8DAD-E95D0F31C7BB (resized).jpeg21C047A1-4BA1-4626-8DAD-E95D0F31C7BB (resized).jpeg

#168 6 years ago

3/28/18

Unfortune strikes. Got all the wireforms secured to the Playfield and hand testing was good. Fired up mpf to flipper test shoot them and before I got a shot off I dropped the Pinball right past the boards and it shorted my nano controller after contacting fuse holders on the power filter.

Luckily everything else looks ok. Stupid mistake though - I’ve thought so many times I should make a shield to protect the boards. Will do it now... live and learn.

And Aaron at FAST is awesome and has a replacement out to me already - so not too much down time.

#171 6 years ago

3/30/18

Nano arrived this morning - quick swap out.

FF754C05-8355-4505-8C8E-5D8B547DD3B0 (resized).jpegFF754C05-8355-4505-8C8E-5D8B547DD3B0 (resized).jpeg

Also some more molex connectors. The time it takes to do wiring is underestimated.. esp. with molex connectors everywhere to allow quick component/mech removal.
    85FACE7D-FAF4-45DA-9007-C2DA23425B35 (resized).jpeg85FACE7D-FAF4-45DA-9007-C2DA23425B35 (resized).jpeg

This is the best .062 remover I’ve found so far for molex plugs.. also most $$..
    08C4A516-2F18-4E4C-A6B3-61672E731957 (resized).jpeg08C4A516-2F18-4E4C-A6B3-61672E731957 (resized).jpeg

Anyway- back to work.

#172 6 years ago

First off - nano installed and everything is working again, whoooo! But before play testing - the shield I should have installed months ago:
    036C9D54-923B-4397-A7F6-CC2416A3770E (resized).jpeg036C9D54-923B-4397-A7F6-CC2416A3770E (resized).jpeg010A6D1A-8E00-4E96-AF5E-84F072FC15FA (resized).jpeg010A6D1A-8E00-4E96-AF5E-84F072FC15FA (resized).jpeg

There we go. Everything is testing good.. fun to hit the ramps. The right flap ramp actually can launch a fast ball up and behind to the thru backboard loop which is kinda awesome and unintended but will likely stay as a feature

Pop bumper switches installed and they are up and running as well.

Finished it off today with 1/2 the final right wireform:
    923CF0E6-CC6C-43AB-9D94-897D12970CF7 (resized).jpeg923CF0E6-CC6C-43AB-9D94-897D12970CF7 (resized).jpeg

This will lock balls in the power animal / meditation cave via this up post —ABE8CF0E-8574-4F2A-A45B-F0C94823F65F (resized).jpegABE8CF0E-8574-4F2A-A45B-F0C94823F65F (resized).jpeg

You have to imagine the 3d printed cave of course.. the wireform once finished will drop the ball out on the right side of the play field.

#173 6 years ago

3/31/18

Black roll over drop targets are in.

Installed them and then had to disassemble left side components to route out a bigger slot as these are way wider at top. Also, they are about 1/4” shorter to the ledge.. gonna take an engineering solution to bump them up but for now they will work.

4F02E868-F168-4418-9410-F88D20CAC54D (resized).jpeg4F02E868-F168-4418-9410-F88D20CAC54D (resized).jpeg1D8745F7-3957-4D5F-8E7C-66FF324E0D70 (resized).jpeg1D8745F7-3957-4D5F-8E7C-66FF324E0D70 (resized).jpeg

Also these guys arrived— 4 reed switches. Wanted to try them for the upper lane changes — would do lower too but these are damn spendy and hard to find (the Pinball specific ones with housing & magnet)
    E53DF821-076F-4629-8094-EB6A37D4AD56 (resized).jpegE53DF821-076F-4629-8094-EB6A37D4AD56 (resized).jpeg

#174 6 years ago

Part of the weekend spent battling the drop target area after widening the slot. Partial disassembly, moving posts, checking fits over and over and adjusting. Finally got it lined up good, other than the drops needing to be raised 1/4”, and reassembled.

After play testing I may move the captive ball completely to the other side and angle the drops more to make them easier to hit with right flipper... will see

50163816-8137-46BA-9AFD-8CF6A14C7623 (resized).jpeg50163816-8137-46BA-9AFD-8CF6A14C7623 (resized).jpeg

#178 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

That is one sick cave!
    Well in my mind it is.
    Seriously, loving the progress.

Haha sweet! I hope it lives up to the one you’re thinking of!

Quoted from Langless28:

seeing this makes we want to make my own pinball. any rough costs of how much you plan to be in?

It’s so much fun, highly reccomend it! It’s also a ton of time and a good amount of money though.. less than a nib prem stern, hopefully less than a pro as well all said and done. There’s a lot of costs still outstanding that are big question marks — art print, welding/metal work, 3d printing (will have to buy one)... Its also gonna depend how much you want featurewise and if you want used mechs / parts or buy all new.

I’m a mix of parts on hand, New, used.. and I’m using a lot of coils so there’s additional board costs there. I’ve also spent $$ on extra parts to try out as I design and prototype. All said - I do think you could build something pretty basic but fun and go super cheap for maybe 1500 or possibly less - basic fast starter kit is $500 I believe, similar for proc. Alternatively it could be fun to take a populated donor Playfield and do something with that.. save a ton of $$. So far I prob have around:

$1000 boards/power
    $200 wire / connectors, etc
    $800 mechs / parts, switches, Optos, hardware etc
    $50 wood
    $300 computer for dev
    $150 raw metal parts, blowtorch, brazing materials
    $150 empty wpc cab
    Prob other stuff I’m not thinking about.. every time I order parts it adds up crazy quick. New mechs are pretty spendy.. but this is for a lower Playfield too - I have all the parts and wire and such all together. Expecting another $500-$1000 for a complete prototype game with art.

Quoted from Malenko:

Add some kind of optical switch to make the shot actually count?
    Been enjoying this thread a great deal and look forward to the finished pin!

Yeah — was thinking about that. Awkward place to do it but maybe possible. Alternatively the ramp will have a ‘ramp entered’ switch and the upper ramp will have a switch around the corner of the backboard so combined you’ve got the shot made. I think it’s unlikely to be looping balls on the far right upper while also launching a ball between ramps but we’ll see I guess.

Thanks for following!!

#180 6 years ago

Yeah - I pulled the trigger on the Optos from action Pinball.. they had 6. Only place I could find. I figure if I end up not using them I can resell no problem. Crazy expensive switch solution of course.. but fun to try. I think you could do what you’re saying with a non Pinball one but it wouldn’t be plug n play.

Sweet - I’m running out of those pins soon.. slowly wiring everything right now while I think about final design changes. Playable again at least.

Cab is the Drac one - yeah. Be a bit before I tackle that though.. gonna start a clean pf with inserts before working on cab.

Thanks - I’m curious your opinion here soon about moving some stuff a bit, but probably best to come shoot it. Thinking about swapping cap ball sides and angling 5 bank targets more..

#181 6 years ago

Been slowly wiring coils and switches this week. Got a vuk working now and managed to blow a transistor on board that I need to fix later

Tedious work though. Taking a little break to start working on mini Playfield.

First off, upgraded my shitty spade crumpet to a ratcheting one. Big upgrade there.
    61D0B8C4-886F-43B8-A72B-C729173D2192 (resized).jpeg61D0B8C4-886F-43B8-A72B-C729173D2192 (resized).jpeg

Then: working out mech placement on mini pf. Against proposed paper design.

C169B983-A0D8-46C3-A313-BA15772E1DA4 (resized).jpegC169B983-A0D8-46C3-A313-BA15772E1DA4 (resized).jpeg

#182 6 years ago

3/6/18

Lower mini mock-up is built and started drawing in placements. Once worked out I will drill and route everything first before attaching anything.
    69766C4C-4B33-401A-862C-FC19E8B1A9B6 (resized).jpeg69766C4C-4B33-401A-862C-FC19E8B1A9B6 (resized).jpegA3580B59-680C-4E87-8472-E19075A7FD0B (resized).jpegA3580B59-680C-4E87-8472-E19075A7FD0B (resized).jpeg135A135E-AC93-4995-9686-7D78C78A253A (resized).jpeg135A135E-AC93-4995-9686-7D78C78A253A (resized).jpeg

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

Are those two of the same side flipper mechs?

Yes — lol. I just discovered that about 10 min ago. Whoopsy !! Gonna have to order again from PL ughhhh. I was going to wire them up quickly and test before cutting holes but that will have to wait a bit.

Progress today:

Drew out rough placement:
    D1069268-2696-4206-9647-0C44622E68AD (resized).jpegD1069268-2696-4206-9647-0C44622E68AD (resized).jpeg

Lining up flipper holes:
    A9221F5B-0C70-441A-84CD-22A90C04D603 (resized).jpegA9221F5B-0C70-441A-84CD-22A90C04D603 (resized).jpeg

Stopping point today— hand shooting it fine. I brought out cardboard guides to where posts and switches will be to check ball fit. Final guides will be brought back a bit to allow for the posts and slim switch placements. Slim Switches will spell “Lou’s “ and 2x 3 banks for “tavern”. Controlled 1x drop up the middle to a hole behind that feeds below back to trough/kickout. Pop goes on upper left side.

44E6D780-66F5-4916-9B1C-7A4FF8FD12D2 (resized).jpeg44E6D780-66F5-4916-9B1C-7A4FF8FD12D2 (resized).jpeg

#185 6 years ago

Crap, that pic is all skewed.. try again:

DA52FD26-37CD-466F-B09F-90D992297ACB (resized).jpegDA52FD26-37CD-466F-B09F-90D992297ACB (resized).jpeg

#187 6 years ago

Good point.. will have to price it out. May make more sense to get full mech... I’m sure I can use this later on future project

#188 6 years ago

Motor driver board arrived from across the ‘pond’ — can start working more on skyscraper up/down. My main concern with it is if a switch malfunctions, don’t want the motor to still run and strip out the gearing. I think it might overcurrent if this starts to happen and will blow a fuse?

4A9B8627-5286-4800-A34F-D8C09F4A8DBD (resized).jpeg4A9B8627-5286-4800-A34F-D8C09F4A8DBD (resized).jpeg

#189 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

Heh. It happens. At least you just need the baseplate and pawl. The rest of the parts are the same.

Way cheaper to order the pawl and base..thanks for the tip— should be here next week. Gonna steal my right flipper mech off main of fir now for testing ..

#190 6 years ago

Borrowed my main right flipper mech and wired mini pf flippers into main flipper connectors for quick testing. Nice advantage of using individual molex connectors on mechs.. the mini pf is nice and portable - just threw it up on top of apron and used my main flipper buttons. Had to dial the power back from 23ms to 12ms - everything seems to flow well. Next step is to cut all the holes.

59C2333D-4AF8-4F46-B3EF-7CE2738D4C5D (resized).jpeg59C2333D-4AF8-4F46-B3EF-7CE2738D4C5D (resized).jpeg

#191 6 years ago

Ok, time to drill some holes:

494B8687-DB08-4789-8BB8-12D9951253F0 (resized).jpeg494B8687-DB08-4789-8BB8-12D9951253F0 (resized).jpeg

Mechs attached:
    CE9A23B2-6CE3-4DB0-835A-5642F60E2C2E (resized).jpegCE9A23B2-6CE3-4DB0-835A-5642F60E2C2E (resized).jpeg

Topside:

D4FA316D-D47F-4B16-BA74-F5A5C8CEC21E (resized).jpegD4FA316D-D47F-4B16-BA74-F5A5C8CEC21E (resized).jpeg

Fitting slim targets:

61945D80-A397-4D30-BA4C-138095D876C2 (resized).jpeg61945D80-A397-4D30-BA4C-138095D876C2 (resized).jpeg

#192 6 years ago

2 more slims to fit - then on to rails. Not much room for gi but no matter — it will be lit from above with flickering effect ‘Florescent’ lighting like a dark basement. Will all be boxed in when complete with the camera looking into it.

#194 6 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

That looks crazy! You sure there's going to be enough room vertically?

No idea actually lol. I won’t have a giant transformer block in the cab back though so I’m pretty sure it should fit in somehow. Worst case I’m doing a little custom work to shift things around or lower the whole cab bottom. I’m crossing my fingers that I have clearance though.

#197 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

you could have the flickering lights mounted to the bottom of the main playfeild. Then work some clear inserts in. When you enter the basement let the GI go dark. So people will see the flickering light through the inserts but not what’s down there.
    I also had a similar idea but also wanted to work in a green background so I can change the “scene” of the camera operated playfeild. Of course lag is going to be our worst enemy.

Cool idea I like it! Will Have to look into it when I get closer. Hadn’t thought about camera lag at all ugh crap. I wonder what factors drive that.. do I need an expensive camera or is the lag driven more on the hardware processing side or mpf or... getting close to order a camera for testing actually. I was going to get s cheap webcam kind of deal but may have to rethink that..

#199 6 years ago

HighVoltage I’ll have to double check but it’s s limited length rack and pinion gearing. On the shadow there’s an opto on each side to stop movement in that direction. I’ll have similar - but if the opto doesn’t register or it glitches the motor will continue running and potentially strip the plastic/silicone rack gearing. Ideas on fail safe stop for the motor?

#201 6 years ago

Shadow motor has never stripped on me yet but I think it’s possible for sure. I think it might have something to eventually stop the motor from running if Optos are out though. Could implement an overcurrent solution with a chip and transistor but would be cleaner with a microswitch or something easy like that if it were trustworthy.

#204 6 years ago
    Quoted from jim5six:

The gear on the motor on the Shadow is plastic as well as the rack. Mine did what you are describing. The optio failed and the motor got to the end of the rack and what broke was the gear on the motor shaft. It snapped in half and fell off the shaft. All in all it is the best scenario that caused the least amount of damage. But yes, I can confirm this can happen.
    -Jim

Yeah — then def need a fail safe solution.. my motor has the brass gear so it’s the rack that will strip for sure

#205 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

want to get rid of that ramp to the right? if you aren't going to use it. very cool build too. Love to movie and can't wait to see the final product!!!

The clear plastic one? Do you have a broken one that needs replacing?

#208 6 years ago

Hahaha what the heck?!? That’s freaking awesome, just made my night. “If you could play pinball against any celebrity- who would you play?” “If this is your first night at Pinball club, you have to play!” Haha oh man, that’s pretty perfect and sadly inserting Pinball in everywhere made it feel pretty relatable — “ I had a Pinball collection that was nearly complete” lol

#209 6 years ago

4/13/18

Back to the mini Playfield. Cut holes for slim targets - sometimes this requires reshaping other parts:
    2891B6A5-CC11-4AD1-A197-493DA68BF0A7 (resized).jpeg2891B6A5-CC11-4AD1-A197-493DA68BF0A7 (resized).jpeg

Barely got that one tucked in there by the pop.

Then I realized my somewhat straight shot for the subway was blocked by a damn target:
    C5FAC354-7DAA-426B-809E-1B6298D5C69B (resized).jpegC5FAC354-7DAA-426B-809E-1B6298D5C69B (resized).jpeg

Now I gotta figure this out — more proto fabbing..

2A73E31A-15F8-4171-AE03-45DF340BDBD6 (resized).jpeg2A73E31A-15F8-4171-AE03-45DF340BDBD6 (resized).jpeg

#210 6 years ago

4/13

Still working on that subway.. I can weld parts together with the propane torch I’ve found. Just need the right shaped first - done with a handheld heater gun.
    0C90F29C-221C-460C-839E-71480CC4F41A (resized).jpeg0C90F29C-221C-460C-839E-71480CC4F41A (resized).jpeg

Working topside, got a problem here:

B320E6A6-9CBD-41CC-A86F-7E459DC0F0C6 (resized).jpegB320E6A6-9CBD-41CC-A86F-7E459DC0F0C6 (resized).jpeg

Readjustment and then rails mostly fabbed and put in:
    012FDAE1-FF0F-4F8F-AEF7-240D5B954158 (resized).jpeg012FDAE1-FF0F-4F8F-AEF7-240D5B954158 (resized).jpeg

Trying to decide on the support columns size.. wanted the larger but they will block some view I think, prob gonna have to be the smaller size:
    3BD2162F-1DC7-4892-AD44-52561759BB56 (resized).jpeg3BD2162F-1DC7-4892-AD44-52561759BB56 (resized).jpeg

#211 6 years ago

“Welded” together rest of ramps for the subway and it’s functional enough.. I think it needs a bit more than 6 degrees or it hangs up but I’ll fix that later on with final version.

On to wiring

A85479A9-9E59-46DD-9CA8-AD4D6954B87C (resized).jpegA85479A9-9E59-46DD-9CA8-AD4D6954B87C (resized).jpeg

#213 6 years ago

Recycling some connectors ..
    EA127AF9-0B72-4F5E-8055-19BCF84A1AC1 (resized).jpegEA127AF9-0B72-4F5E-8055-19BCF84A1AC1 (resized).jpeg

Here’s mocked up support columns - got side tracked switched out drop bank so no wiring yet.
    619E3C29-2FD6-46ED-B4E3-7E8BC11A95AF (resized).jpeg619E3C29-2FD6-46ED-B4E3-7E8BC11A95AF (resized).jpeg

And a rough view from the camera angle.. should be interesting, gonna be tough. I have an adjusting post on left outlane do it can be blocked if ness.
    1B1B355D-D38E-478C-B4A9-27640AB515B4 (resized).jpeg1B1B355D-D38E-478C-B4A9-27640AB515B4 (resized).jpeg

#215 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

This spinner switch mounts on the other side
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-8684-01
    You’d have to move it aliitle further back but should fit.

Niiice! Thanks Monkey! I was considering another opto one here (have 1 more from FF) but fir 7 bucks, I’ll try that one out from Marco. I think I can match them then and do both sides.

With that, cheers! Happy Saturday
    2E842BA0-7948-49F3-8FF1-A354FD88468A (resized).jpeg2E842BA0-7948-49F3-8FF1-A354FD88468A (resized).jpeg

I will have videos soon, once more wiring is done. Although I may get distracted.. P3 arrives this upcoming week.

#216 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

yes. mine is broke in the s curve section. Send me a pm and let me know what you may want for it.

Bax1 — see pics below. I removed mine but it’s aldo cracked. However I just recently learned this is easily fixed with a blowtorch..

If still interested in mine lmk soon. I can attempt repairing this one as well - would look better than my Adhock subway

#217 6 years ago

06214C73-094D-4686-84F1-8F7320978133 (resized).jpeg06214C73-094D-4686-84F1-8F7320978133 (resized).jpeg

87C3D59B-B286-48B9-ADAB-2F39374437B3 (resized).jpeg87C3D59B-B286-48B9-ADAB-2F39374437B3 (resized).jpeg

#218 6 years ago

Picked up another 0804 today from Aaron.. gonna mount 2 on the lower pf - have 8 drivers so that’s perfect but I wanted 17 switches so gotta cut one some how or drop an extra down from another chain of 8.

#220 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

if you want to use it for your subway, go for it. if you are going to have it laying around then I would try it out vs my other one. Wouldn't want to take something that you would use on this killer build!! Hopefully the jager got the creative juices flowing on Saturday.

haha I think the jager gets them going to a point then I start to slow down I try to build in the mornings/afternoons on coffee usually.. I start to get sloppy in the evening I can use other parts.. subways all wrapped up anyway -- I hate to use parts that could be otherwise useful to people so if you want it I'll ship it out to you.

#221 6 years ago

More terminals in for mini pf and got the cheapest web cam amazon had for playing around with.
    2310E39B-9A0A-4FBF-A45D-47361D084EB1 (resized).jpeg2310E39B-9A0A-4FBF-A45D-47361D084EB1 (resized).jpeg

Cam comes with this fancy Hawaiian case lol - prob the case added 1/2 the total cost of the cam ha!
    A5C70AD0-6795-4872-93E6-AD8C53A30E4F (resized).jpegA5C70AD0-6795-4872-93E6-AD8C53A30E4F (resized).jpeg

#223 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Wait, are you doing what I think you're doing? mini playfield, with only a camera and monitor to play it (no window).

Yeah - is that a bad idea? It’s too big to cut a window — the idea is to install it at the back of the cab, completely seperate and sealed with the illusion of the ball feeding down to it. Going to get a roughly 5 to 6” mini lcd for lower 1/3 of Playfield and cut a window for it. The camera view will be roughly like a what a security cam in the basement of Lou’s would have seen... at least this is all the plan.

It’s going to be some work to execute in mpf since there’s no dual monitor support that I understand.. the camera / lcd will be displaying at a different portion of a view window than the main display. A 3rd portion will have extra stuff for the lcd when not in the basement. Hitchhikers guide pulled this off - hoping I can too

#224 6 years ago

And then some distractions showed up...

D0115601-E836-4ADC-BE09-69190EEBA425 (resized).jpegD0115601-E836-4ADC-BE09-69190EEBA425 (resized).jpegAEC03151-F408-471A-8F86-7E1654BE3AA1 (resized).jpegAEC03151-F408-471A-8F86-7E1654BE3AA1 (resized).jpegAB72CD64-A5DD-4CE0-A2D8-6BB1B1E57A2F (resized).jpegAB72CD64-A5DD-4CE0-A2D8-6BB1B1E57A2F (resized).jpegC653B465-669F-404F-89E4-51F703CEF558 (resized).jpegC653B465-669F-404F-89E4-51F703CEF558 (resized).jpeg7CA88341-60D8-4F32-AE18-21D89FAC82B5 (resized).jpeg7CA88341-60D8-4F32-AE18-21D89FAC82B5 (resized).jpeg

#228 6 years ago

Aaand more distractions .. starting to think I may get less dobebthis summer than I had hoped.

927CE63A-BDDA-4854-9C47-A4BFA04586CC (resized).jpeg927CE63A-BDDA-4854-9C47-A4BFA04586CC (resized).jpeg

#229 6 years ago

For the camera — yes, raw feed is what I’m thinking. Because the mini field is bigger than my lcd I’m thinking wide screen web cam? Any thoughts on wide/fish eye view vs standard?

Always on should work - I’ll just have two anchor points/window definitions in my overall mpf viewport and when the ball goes to the mini I’ll redirect what’s showing on the lcd screen. I *think* this will work.

Love the idea of the ball going to the basement animation. Will throw that on the wAnt list - thinking a ball bouncing down stairs

#232 6 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

Wow what a top idea wish i had thought of it
    and the timing and transitions and multiball issues...
    3 years ago
    » YouTube video
    at 2:25
    » YouTube video
    and the layout for the lp on the current Airplane project

I knew this was on the cards when i could see that lower your Lpf was not
    going to fit under the main pf.
    To start you rolling it will need to be an analogue camera.
    Anything over a 5ms delay is unplayable.

Thanks for the vid posts - I was def. gonna go back and check them out - hitchhikers and airplane are both impressive, would love to play someday.

Any more helpful hints are more than welcome

#234 6 years ago
    Quoted from fantarama:

something like this?
    » YouTube video

Exactly!! That’s awesome

#238 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

can I buy this machine yet or what????????!

Yep - just send me your $$

#240 6 years ago

fantarama — what program(s) did you use to model and animate ?

#243 6 years ago
    Quoted from fantarama:

I used 3dsmax to model it, but in that case it's all very basic forms really, like boxes and planes.
    The animation was done with Unity. I just used the built-in physics engine. At first was hopping to just drop the ball down the stairs, but wasn't getting the desired results so I tampered a bit with it applying forces when it touches the floor. Everything (bouncing, speed) is very, and easy adjustable.
    The lighting is done in Unity as well.

Oh man - this is awesome but also makes me realize just how much work I have ahead of myself with animations / dots and coding.

Ugh... progress has been slow last week, hoping to get some time in this Friday/sat to finish wiring my lower pf and switch over to the fast trough Optos. Then it may be time to upgrade to mpf o.5 which was released yesterday.

#246 5 years ago

4/27/18

Happy Friday!

Feels like backward progress when you have to remove parts to go forward.. none-the-less had to be done—

Here’s my trough removed with the wpc trough boards.
    06FEB05D-0C7B-469D-B309-B6DD477F34CC (resized).jpeg06FEB05D-0C7B-469D-B309-B6DD477F34CC (resized).jpeg

They came off and installed fast boards, eliminating the opto driver board I had between them, and the issues I had going on (wasn’t quite keeping track of balls correctly).

6EDAA533-C112-4433-8EC5-9A57DD6705FE (resized).jpeg6EDAA533-C112-4433-8EC5-9A57DD6705FE (resized).jpeg

Way better system with just the fast boards.

Then I had to tangle with this beast —

87C88564-92CB-436A-A5C5-B8D13F390E72 (resized).jpeg87C88564-92CB-436A-A5C5-B8D13F390E72 (resized).jpeg

Removed the 0804 board from the loop and installed a 1616 instead. The 0804 is pairing with another on my lower Playfield to drive everything there and make it easily removable (both boards at end of hardware loop, so I can disconnect the whole thing easily). Had to change around some config stuff to accommodate the change.. but it’s done and everything works again.

Still working on lower wiring now -

DB53A6C4-82AB-49A8-B603-2385F1B0BEF9 (resized).jpegDB53A6C4-82AB-49A8-B603-2385F1B0BEF9 (resized).jpeg

Tomorrow hopefully get things wired to boards.

#247 5 years ago

More lower wiring. Coils all wired.

2C6DD275-E196-4974-BC84-03416E906987 (resized).jpeg2C6DD275-E196-4974-BC84-03416E906987 (resized).jpeg

Made an embillical cord to connect back to the mother ship

E5E8B14A-DD01-40F3-9F8A-472EB83979FE (resized).jpegE5E8B14A-DD01-40F3-9F8A-472EB83979FE (resized).jpeg

I need a 17th switch input, so I’ll need to run an extra wire down for that from a different bank. Will prob run 3 since I already need 1. Also will be running a line from the nano and 5v for driving leds. And a couple opto lines from a board up top. It should still be easy to disconnect out of the loop when I’m just working on the upper.

2 weeks later
    #250 5 years ago

Summer weather had hit and talk of and planing of outdoor house projects .. as such not much progress last few weeks. Maybe be good to take a step back for a bit as well - was going a little intense since January. Will be making progress this summer but a bit slower for sure.

Also picked these up yesterday - getting back into playing so that’s taking some of my pin time

7BB512E4-B0EF-4281-B5A1-CFB62E042079 (resized).jpeg7BB512E4-B0EF-4281-B5A1-CFB62E042079 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #253 5 years ago

Ha! That’s pretty cool. Picked up another lp last weekend. Having s hell of a time keeping them in tune though. Last guitar photo, then back to Pinball

17F2A9BB-3942-4B58-A8A0-4F456DD60447 (resized).jpeg17F2A9BB-3942-4B58-A8A0-4F456DD60447 (resized).jpeg

8 months later
    #254 5 years ago

Damn, been longer than I thought since last posting here. Project is not dead — I spent the last 8 months renovating my garage and finally wrapping it up — straight into a rewire project on my house

The garage partially was for fight club though — with some help from a fellow pinsider, I have moved it from my game room to the garage.

Time to move!”]
Backboard work in progress -
[att=4808033,1492247 caption="Time to move!”] Backboard work in progress - [att=4808033,1492247 caption="

It’s fc 20th Anniversary this year.
    953E565C-E38D-43A2-BDA5-5D6BCCB225D7 (resized).jpeg953E565C-E38D-43A2-BDA5-5D6BCCB225D7 (resized).jpeg6E00CEEB-CE6F-4892-ADE5-B7924093220D (resized).jpeg6E00CEEB-CE6F-4892-ADE5-B7924093220D (resized).jpeg

I obviously won’t finish this in 2019 but plan to start working on it again after the rewire in a month or two and this still tentatively be fc,20th Ann.

Happy new year, and 20th anniversary of fight club!

1 week later
    #256 5 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

One of my favorite movies. I had the chance to pick up a prop a few years from the film. Following
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Oh man that is awesome!!!

#258 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

You plan to bring this to NWPAS as under-construction? Or depends how far you are?

I would like to — but realistically it’s only comin if I can get it off the rotesserie into a cabinet— and that will happen after I finish the design elements. This month is shot.. probably have April and May to work on it. We’ll see...

#261 5 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

If you need help just give a shout!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Thanks Aaron! I’ll need more help softwarewise for certain at a minimum hope to get back in slack soonish as well, just haven’t had time to keep up

2 months later
    #262 4 years ago

Raised from the dead! I fired fight club up in its new home in the garage last night. Booted right up after I looked up how to boot mpf again. Everything is working other than a pop that dropped out of the Playfield.. apparently there was a reason you’re supposed to screw them on all 4 sides lol.

24A92E8F-6E95-4C26-9331-D552769614B8 (resized).jpeg24A92E8F-6E95-4C26-9331-D552769614B8 (resized).jpeg
    #263 4 years ago

After testing shot geometry for a while, I think I have a few changes to make. Before that happens though, wanted to diagnose why my 2nd led chain has been out ever since I burnt them up when the pinball dropped on my fast board and did some frying.

Take a look at the underside:
    33A4AA60-3DA4-4DC4-8BDE-0A0260C84DB8 (resized).jpeg33A4AA60-3DA4-4DC4-8BDE-0A0260C84DB8 (resized).jpeg

Did some multimeter testing to no avail. Gotta find the bag of extras..

3CA16A63-1F9B-47BC-8FD2-5064D1823520 (resized).jpeg3CA16A63-1F9B-47BC-8FD2-5064D1823520 (resized).jpeg
    Ah ha!

New chain made up:
    5FDFC590-3BD1-418F-9CC2-EB6B90F9385D (resized).jpeg5FDFC590-3BD1-418F-9CC2-EB6B90F9385D (resized).jpeg

Aaaaand same problem. Friggen frick! Could these all be broken from the factory?!? Suddenly it dawned on me. The signal through them is directional, did I connect them backwards???

F8790E54-4E55-4191-ABEF-52149678A178 (resized).jpegF8790E54-4E55-4191-ABEF-52149678A178 (resized).jpeg
    Yeaaah ok so now I see why the arrow is there. Had both chains connected on the tail end so there was no way they were going to work.

Need pin extractor from a buddy that borrowed it so I’m done for tonight. Nice to (hopefully) have that solved and I can get back to wiring up switches and mechs.

#265 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

So glad this is back in the feed!

Thanks!!! Me too it’s been a long change-over.

#266 4 years ago

Let there be light!! Issue fixed. We can move fwd.
    203ED460-7B77-402E-A805-FA817CC206B9 (resized).jpeg203ED460-7B77-402E-A805-FA817CC206B9 (resized).jpeg

Lookingmore at layout and what shots are gittable from each flipper. I think I need to tweak a few things.. still trying to figure out what and how. D965B3F2-E203-40DF-A12C-A8F44E640CF7 (resized).jpegD965B3F2-E203-40DF-A12C-A8F44E640CF7 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
    #268 4 years ago

Spent some time trying to decide how to make the left ramp line up slightly better so it’s posdible to back hand it, and some other issues.. will upload ideas on paper soon. Going as-is to nw show if it gets a ride there.

Today I added a start and launch button, and pigtailed out some coils.
    B1B29CF4-85A6-4A69-97BB-7E06FBDE0C8A (resized).jpegB1B29CF4-85A6-4A69-97BB-7E06FBDE0C8A (resized).jpeg48EC266B-8DD6-4B35-A4F2-C0C811B28094 (resized).jpeg48EC266B-8DD6-4B35-A4F2-C0C811B28094 (resized).jpeg1F8E2735-AFCA-4AD7-B4CB-AC8459F1D06A (resized).jpeg1F8E2735-AFCA-4AD7-B4CB-AC8459F1D06A (resized).jpeg

Wiring takes forever but it’s satisfying to see the mechs work. I have a ton of switches to wire up once the coils are done. Gonna start with lower Playfield first.

Also got a reed switch working (for the top “soap” lane changes). Took some testing but finally realized it matters which way you wire these to ground. It’s sensing thru 1/4” ply. I think it’ll do a bit more, but not the full pf. Gonna have to route holes for them on my second prototype pf.
    935499A1-DAA4-4C1F-80AE-420A96C04907 (resized).jpeg935499A1-DAA4-4C1F-80AE-420A96C04907 (resized).jpeg5E35380A-7FE4-4EA9-B5F1-3235B93B57AE (resized).jpeg5E35380A-7FE4-4EA9-B5F1-3235B93B57AE (resized).jpeg

6410273D-445E-4081-895C-D47DD61288E7 (resized).jpeg6410273D-445E-4081-895C-D47DD61288E7 (resized).jpeg
    #271 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Incredible. And a huge thank you for making me realize I should never attempt my own build

Lol, I’ve been wondering what I’ve gotten myself into as well. I spent hours yesterday trying to find parts I stashed away a year ago and remembering how the basic mpf scripts worked. Prototyping has been fun — there’s a lot of questions about how I’m going to tackle ‘final’versions of stuff like art, wireforms, plastics, 3d parts... I need to get a welder, 3d printer, and graphics program and learn how to use all of them hahaha oh man lots of learning ahead.

#273 4 years ago

Little testing to find a way to lock the Xmas led lights in. Grinded down an old incandescent socket bracket since I have a ton of them.. works ok. 3d printed ones would be better for final game of course.
    3F1FF215-2577-4B9A-87EA-CA44422328B5 (resized).jpeg3F1FF215-2577-4B9A-87EA-CA44422328B5 (resized).jpegEDFC775A-C4F3-4F57-8919-B58E1B8F932F (resized).jpegEDFC775A-C4F3-4F57-8919-B58E1B8F932F (resized).jpeg

Spent Saturday pigtailing all the switches for the lower pf to Molex. Hoping to work on it some at the show. Just a couple topside ones left and the trough opto.
    D74F3B4F-9918-4451-9453-C685625678BA (resized).jpegD74F3B4F-9918-4451-9453-C685625678BA (resized).jpeg

#274 4 years ago

Today this came in — I should have bought one years ago.. multi-tool for cutting chunks of wood out w/out predrilling and using the portable jigsaw which doesn’t fit well on populated play fields..

Hopefully there’s still some holes I can cut with this lol. I think I have 1 left that I know of. 14261EC6-F762-4B00-808F-89F0F799757D (resized).jpeg14261EC6-F762-4B00-808F-89F0F799757D (resized).jpeg

All wrapped up for the NW show debut — a very early dev Fight Club 20th anniversary Ed. DA8ED162-72EC-4318-A3C2-982BEBBF95DE (resized).jpegDA8ED162-72EC-4318-A3C2-982BEBBF95DE (resized).jpeg398EC721-84FA-413A-9C55-43F473DC4F0C (resized).jpeg398EC721-84FA-413A-9C55-43F473DC4F0C (resized).jpeg

Aaron at fastpinball is awesome and just drove up and picked it up an hour ago in his trailer. Thank you Aaron!!!

#276 4 years ago

Some pics from the show. Lots of questions and got some people flipping it. looks pretty janky next to mikes proto1 lol but nice for people to see what developing a game is like. Next year though — in a cabinet

51EDEF8D-BA88-4896-B90A-2777F59E93D3 (resized).jpeg51EDEF8D-BA88-4896-B90A-2777F59E93D3 (resized).jpeg59393261-6B31-4484-9397-EE778936571D (resized).jpeg59393261-6B31-4484-9397-EE778936571D (resized).jpegB5D3A05B-4AC4-4354-AAB7-0535D3F8D73A (resized).jpegB5D3A05B-4AC4-4354-AAB7-0535D3F8D73A (resized).jpeg
    #278 4 years ago

Yeah that’s a weird illusion lol. I probably should have started with a zizzle version - would have made life easier hahaha.

Good observation on the kids — on the one hand I do like being able to show the guts but cabinets are great for keeping balls on the Playfield and protecting those guts .. I am hoping next year it’s fairly obvious that it’s Fight Club

#279 4 years ago

Well it survived the show and made it home. DE450D46-90D3-4CDF-A71A-EADE4392B554 (resized).jpegDE450D46-90D3-4CDF-A71A-EADE4392B554 (resized).jpeg

Test fitting the support prop brackets to see if I still have room for these when the time comes.. seems to be ok
    F8AA09F3-0251-41F7-8CEB-BF5AAF18CFA8 (resized).jpegF8AA09F3-0251-41F7-8CEB-BF5AAF18CFA8 (resized).jpegD7778E14-9BC8-42B3-9945-E766879150BD (resized).jpegD7778E14-9BC8-42B3-9945-E766879150BD (resized).jpeg

I ripped the movie to my hardrive and am working on getting some clips to work with. Tomorrow I will hopefully have a platform with speakers and (soon) a display in the more proper location.

#280 4 years ago

Still working on getting some clips to work with, in the mean time— added to the work station.

140B11E8-89A1-4BC3-A740-1CA577951BFA (resized).jpeg140B11E8-89A1-4BC3-A740-1CA577951BFA (resized).jpeg

First chance to use this guy — love this thing27D051AA-9BFF-4B5F-ABA0-84518E145462 (resized).jpeg27D051AA-9BFF-4B5F-ABA0-84518E145462 (resized).jpeg

I got some speakers!
    B9A7D5C7-C0EB-4311-8EFF-40E1A998D2D4 (resized).jpegB9A7D5C7-C0EB-4311-8EFF-40E1A998D2D4 (resized).jpeg

Grabbed an old Dmd to mock up until I can get ahold of a fast display 400C3760-7B37-433B-8BDB-744AE1995A2F (resized).jpeg400C3760-7B37-433B-8BDB-744AE1995A2F (resized).jpeg

And found this panel by accident- forgot I had bought this for this project. Tossed it up with some tape for fun. 63CD4AF8-99FC-4926-8353-1B173EE8BAFA (resized).jpeg63CD4AF8-99FC-4926-8353-1B173EE8BAFA (resized).jpeg

#281 4 years ago

Here’s progress thus far —

Attract mode

Start, launch, and 3 ball cycle

Will get a longer video with some gameplay showing shots when I have 4 hands

#282 4 years ago

Spent 1/2 the day today getting a single gif to play in attract mode and upgrading to mpf 0.52 ..

6 hours later fight club is running again

#284 4 years ago

Thanks! Never gets old.. at least to me

#286 4 years ago

Thanks MJR8peanut

Started shifting ramp positions. I know why I’ve been avoiding this — on the r ramp to make it backhandable easily it turned into grinding the underlieing guides, shifting the shadow divertor mech, adjusting Optos, moving targets, and adjusting mounts on the wireforms. Pita for sure. About ready to reassemble I think, and the angle (adjusted 1 or 2 degrees ) is much better

17C73FDD-17EC-4B7A-BC27-2D16F34D033B (resized).jpeg17C73FDD-17EC-4B7A-BC27-2D16F34D033B (resized).jpeg6580EB0C-34A6-460B-BD6C-F8F79BC604A5 (resized).jpeg6580EB0C-34A6-460B-BD6C-F8F79BC604A5 (resized).jpeg

#287 4 years ago

Packages from RS components, based in England.

CE9D379D-A383-431A-8477-5A02B4ACE49A (resized).jpegCE9D379D-A383-431A-8477-5A02B4ACE49A (resized).jpeg

I guess they have warehouses in the states too, cause these got here in a couple days. I was offput by the $20+ shipping for a very light package until I tried finding similar items elsewhere and quickly the cost per piece much outweighed the additional shipping. I would recommend this company if you need. a lot of these:

4AE6A217-00E9-4700-B077-96C7A237BB82 (resized).jpeg4AE6A217-00E9-4700-B077-96C7A237BB82 (resized).jpeg

Ton of molex housings and pins. Enough for fight club and probably 1/2 another pin. No excuse now not to finish wiring switches and mechs, other than that I need to finish the ramp repositionings first

#288 4 years ago

Side trip this weekend — 1660 miles to Salt Lake City. Did a trade for the p3. Couldn’t work on fight club but I had a lot of time to think about modes, inserts, design, layout.. 30 hours of thinking lol.

C21F1531-9349-44B1-8139-8B1DD7782944 (resized).jpegC21F1531-9349-44B1-8139-8B1DD7782944 (resized).jpeg4F1BCCA8-65F0-4798-9461-DCD7C065359F (resized).jpeg4F1BCCA8-65F0-4798-9461-DCD7C065359F (resized).jpeg
    P3 travels one way

B49AD636-37FB-435B-802F-0C0C0119AE07 (resized).jpegB49AD636-37FB-435B-802F-0C0C0119AE07 (resized).jpeg86C395A5-5E6D-4644-85DA-696B26CCA772 (resized).jpeg86C395A5-5E6D-4644-85DA-696B26CCA772 (resized).jpeg
    DI-LE arrives back

#290 4 years ago

Some work this weekend. Been doing a lot of redesign after the nw show. It’s not nearly as fun as design.. but it must be done.

I’ve shifted the left ramp angle to make it better for backhanding and lowered the attack angle.

4B0E50AC-199F-4935-AC41-0415E648A70D (resized).jpeg4B0E50AC-199F-4935-AC41-0415E648A70D (resized).jpeg

Moved the left scoop to the right, where it’s been working well. Replaced the empty space with a ‘mini-jsckpot’ Target. Main super jackpot hole will still be the gobble hole behind the 5 bank targets , with the middle target dropping to allow the shot.
    71850521-88E3-427F-8CD8-236E46BCA685 (resized).jpeg71850521-88E3-427F-8CD8-236E46BCA685 (resized).jpeg7BF54655-B5AB-49B4-A356-0005FDB58BD8 (resized).jpeg7BF54655-B5AB-49B4-A356-0005FDB58BD8 (resized).jpeg

Added a spinner - these will eventually have a Tyler/narrator image on the two sides.
    6916CF21-DE4E-44DB-8064-F423110551F4 (resized).jpeg6916CF21-DE4E-44DB-8064-F423110551F4 (resized).jpeg

Then spent a while fixing issues these changes caused. It’s amazing how this blows hours away.

Also got 48v on the left underside to finish wiring up coils and wires the mayhem lock vuk.
    F8E632EE-B29B-483C-B8CB-5625614B13C5 (resized).jpegF8E632EE-B29B-483C-B8CB-5625614B13C5 (resized).jpeg

Shot a video with progress so far, most of the current shots shown — with the left wireform ramp off and it lifted for the mayhem lock shot. I need to shift the angle of that ramp a couple degrees before reinstalling wireform and continuing with wiring.

1 week later
    #292 4 years ago

Some stuff in— more inserts to play with, sample rubbers and a few odds
    C0A4D9F8-C011-47F8-80A1-4A25CD0E9F5D (resized).jpegC0A4D9F8-C011-47F8-80A1-4A25CD0E9F5D (resized).jpeg

Try #2 on the camera for the lower pf: adjustable focus, Fstop and zoom:
    18FDC930-6F88-4501-98F7-CA46E048AD35 (resized).jpeg18FDC930-6F88-4501-98F7-CA46E048AD35 (resized).jpeg

And triangle stock to build the rotating billboard. Unfortunately it’s not an equilateral so I need to shave off two sides..
    F0C50E8A-F771-4891-BCCC-F90F01F0F835 (resized).jpegF0C50E8A-F771-4891-BCCC-F90F01F0F835 (resized).jpeg

Got the camera setup to test, just about where I want it (screenwise). There’s a bit of lag but it’s not unplayable by any means. I need to finish wiring switches on it to test it some more. 1468424B-EA61-4EDF-A51D-CA088F7D5D7D (resized).jpeg1468424B-EA61-4EDF-A51D-CA088F7D5D7D (resized).jpeg227513FC-6492-489B-8175-DD77FCD3DD8A (resized).jpeg227513FC-6492-489B-8175-DD77FCD3DD8A (resized).jpeg

3 months later
    #295 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

any updates? loving the progress so far! Are you going to have the lower playfield visible from the top or is it only visible through the camera?

Weeellll.. unfortunately with only so much time in a day I have been side tracked with playing and recording music.

I’ve bought a bunch of parts for the game and done some shot adjustments after I brought it to the NW show. I have almost everything to build the 3 sided rotating billboard including servos and stepper motor.. just gotta get going on it instead of playing music LOL.

Quoted from adol75:

The camera playfield is such an awesome idea ! It opens so many perspectives, like an upside down pinball mode, adding AR elements to the view kind of RFM but 2020 version.
    It’s genius !

Bought the Playfield LCD for this as well so I can fully test the concept. However, while I thought of this on my own I can’t take credit for originality because it’s already been executed really well on The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy homebrew, which I found out later. He’s way smarter than me...and has a super cool pin if you haven’t already checked it out I highly recommend it!!

2 months later
    #296 4 years ago

Up and running in the new year. Time to make some changes and charge forward.

Right ramps been adjusted, got a number of other items on the list.

This may turn into 21st century fox edition? Also fits the movie I think.. the commentary on branding.

0266EF9D-10D2-43EB-BE00-5AB85BC70DAF (resized).jpeg0266EF9D-10D2-43EB-BE00-5AB85BC70DAF (resized).jpeg3F357FE6-C49E-499F-B9B9-1D5284D1B377 (resized).jpeg3F357FE6-C49E-499F-B9B9-1D5284D1B377 (resized).jpeg85113D40-B750-4FE3-BE61-5621B459AC8D (resized).jpeg85113D40-B750-4FE3-BE61-5621B459AC8D (resized).jpeg
    #298 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Whats Lou's basement gonna look like??? huh? huH?

Let me dig around and find a picture. I'm going to re-orientate the LCD in teh middle 90 degrees so you get the long view --> The lower PF is done pretty much. You will lock a ball in there when the left ramp flap opens up. I can hold a ball so it looks like it goes downstairs. LCD comes on (with florescent lighting effect, blinking first then lights come on) and you play a quick 20-30 second 'mission' downstairs or a fight and then the LCD goes dark and the ball kicks out up above on teh backboard in front of the billboard and into play again.

Right now I am still contemplating removing the captive ball and moving the whole 5 bank drop system back and rotating the angle so it's better suited to be hit by the lower flippers.. I'm comparing it to stern SW which has the same -- but SW's is set farther back which I like. Having a hard time pulling the trigger though.. removing mechs.

#299 4 years ago

actually -- basement is just a couple posts up. posted it a while ago just above I realized. It will be concrete looking, with concrete pillars on the sides where the grey PVC tubes are. blood splatters here and there.. grainy, dark looking

#302 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Oh wow! Thats a lot for such a small hole. Gonna be sweeeeeet. Wait is that going to be a camera on a hidden lower pf?

Yeah — I tested a couple wide angle web cams — using the flipper buttons while watching the ball on the screen (on my monitor for now) - works pretty good. Tiny bit laggy but I don’t know how much it will matter for a 30 second or 1 minute basement game..

The idea is kinda like watching the basement fight thru a security cam. There’s a lot on there, 9 drivers if I remember right although I could add a way for a 2 ball quick multi ball with an up/down post and 10th driver. The concept all works and I’ll probably mess with it more in a bit when it’s time to try getting the web cam feed to display on the mini LCD I got for the center. Flipping the orientation would allow for a larger screen if needed..

#303 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m so glad this is back in action!

Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m so glad this is back in action!

Me too! hoping I can see a fair chunk of work thru this year.. I am excited to complete the layout and start getting inserts and more lighting in. Likely start fresh on new wood at that point

#304 4 years ago

Had a little time tonight. Hopefully further updates will include more work with less words and pics. Had a hard time pulling the trigger to redesign elements but finally came to terms with it.

I wanted something fun to shoot in center. My center shot was to far off center and tight. New plan, Tyler’s house. Wireform goes thru it which works awesome. DC834230-8DCC-444C-B1F7-640448880B6C (resized).jpegDC834230-8DCC-444C-B1F7-640448880B6C (resized).jpeg

In front of the house (which will have a hole and subway to left vuk), afm style motorized target bank with a catch — only 2 targets. It will be modified. Luckily between random parts I’ve collected I can piece together one working unit.6F68776E-D74D-4244-8C39-F0D47A9CC58A (resized).jpeg6F68776E-D74D-4244-8C39-F0D47A9CC58A (resized).jpeg

These drops were just too far out. To move them, captive ball had to go. It’s gone, and they will shift to left and be angled more.7DFE9E3E-6B26-4DC0-B6E0-F35A4E924053 (resized).jpeg7DFE9E3E-6B26-4DC0-B6E0-F35A4E924053 (resized).jpeg

Captive ball moves to right side. It feeds a saucer- which ejects when some target is hit, not sure which. Maybe use a timer on it and pf multiplier or something.87802375-F6B3-4E47-B383-5EA022F22E04 (resized).jpeg87802375-F6B3-4E47-B383-5EA022F22E04 (resized).jpeg

This stage is a pita when id love to be doing code or having to a clean pf with inserts. Sigh.

#305 4 years ago

So here’s what you get when you murder a 5-target motorized bank, swap parts around with a 3 bank carrier and slide assmbly and new targets, and then convert that to a 2-bank while using the 5-bank motor and motor bracket LOL. I thought this would be simpler but hey, for a prototype is works. A lot of this stuff will have to be 3D printed in final version..

93BAC622-896A-45A5-A7A4-AB8F971E8660 (resized).jpeg93BAC622-896A-45A5-A7A4-AB8F971E8660 (resized).jpeg
    #307 4 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Game flow test video looks very good.
    Keep up the great work!
    -mof

Thanks mof!

#308 4 years ago

Moving along.. everything seems to take forever but got the captive ball moved - works well. Def. using for pf multiplier on timer. Target mounted with motor. Working on the subway that will go behind it.

4028A6D6-94A1-4F86-B70E-6712D207BEC9 (resized).jpeg4028A6D6-94A1-4F86-B70E-6712D207BEC9 (resized).jpeg5D156EF5-E2E9-4A36-B00E-6BC75D518B3C (resized).jpeg5D156EF5-E2E9-4A36-B00E-6BC75D518B3C (resized).jpegD8AD06F6-0BC0-4378-9CEF-F9427DF6044F (resized).pngD8AD06F6-0BC0-4378-9CEF-F9427DF6044F (resized).png
    #310 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Rocking some Ladytron too

Whoops hahaha

#311 4 years ago

Proto design check done. Here’s the full skyscraper mech - will still sink into Playfield at the finale.

But otherwise stays tall and shoots balls out to pops that are loaded in the house.

17CB03DD-45C1-4F74-BE28-82A0E7BB715F (resized).jpeg17CB03DD-45C1-4F74-BE28-82A0E7BB715F (resized).jpegF4DAFEE2-0FB6-4C28-AB3F-5FD6211D7D0C (resized).jpegF4DAFEE2-0FB6-4C28-AB3F-5FD6211D7D0C (resized).jpegFBD4D042-748D-4D2B-8A56-D302CC174A10 (resized).jpegFBD4D042-748D-4D2B-8A56-D302CC174A10 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #313 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

I really like how you get things done, it's refreshing to see the markings
    on the playfield where the shots are going (& ammended) & the modification of
    mecs to suit your purposes.
    It seems to me to be a much more organic way to build a Playfield, not something
    that looks good in CAD as the starting point.
    Fight Club is a great theme & I believe with you, justice to it is being done!
    This is great work, I am 'Jacks' total amazement.

Thanks, I appreciate that!!

In between building a pergola this week I’ve had a little time to continue patching, thinking, and cutting more holes

Fight targets adjusted. Trying to decide on what to do with space above them - a second Jacks captive ball Is most likely right now. Trying to figure out the area behind the drop targets as well.

In the meantime, I thought of a good line for a high score when you enter It — ‘sir, in project mayhem we have no names sir’ —‘this man HAD a name, his name was..’ then flash the name entered.

19DCFB73-AB49-47F5-8AB7-50EE11821A8C (resized).jpeg19DCFB73-AB49-47F5-8AB7-50EE11821A8C (resized).jpeg
    #314 4 years ago

An hour a day keeps the doctor awa... wait no that’s not right. Slow progress but it proceeds none-the-less. Made tough decisions. Only rubber behind 5-bank targets. Adjusted ramp lock wire form so the lock release will function. And for now a place holder above the 5-bank. Going to try a vari target there. Although this target and hole are kinda fun .. hard shot nails target and little shot falls in hole to a subway.

Here’s the lock test

0758CD19-A1C7-48C7-9029-EB10C602A193 (resized).jpeg0758CD19-A1C7-48C7-9029-EB10C602A193 (resized).jpeg0FB548DD-5A71-496D-8B01-26FFFD44CBE2 (resized).jpeg0FB548DD-5A71-496D-8B01-26FFFD44CBE2 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #315 4 years ago

Gone all week in San Antonio for a conference. Took the time to work on rules/points system a bit.

Received a varitarget from eBay to try in my remaining shot today. It’s huge.

Thought about it for a long time, given that I wanted it to open up at the end of the target to drop the ball to a subway. But it just isn’t worth it to try and alter the mech. Going with a trap door that will open via a servo.
    09A2C19B-A62C-4447-9C20-932052DB3234 (resized).jpeg09A2C19B-A62C-4447-9C20-932052DB3234 (resized).jpeg41712B73-BEE8-45DC-96A5-774852EC3C78 (resized).jpeg41712B73-BEE8-45DC-96A5-774852EC3C78 (resized).jpegD45967A0-AA1A-4D67-8501-3869060C82B7 (resized).jpegD45967A0-AA1A-4D67-8501-3869060C82B7 (resized).jpeg7FDB3548-0DBE-4438-AB1C-301BE92B8B0F (resized).jpeg7FDB3548-0DBE-4438-AB1C-301BE92B8B0F (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #317 4 years ago

Final decision on this shot — will be Lous tavern. Swinging Double doors that are locked. Hit them 3x to unlock and you can shoot into the tavern. Ball goes to subway, but this will trigger a fight on the lower playfield and the LCD will turn in for the fight. Should give the illusion of the ball passing Between playfields. Fight over, lcd off and ball pops out to far left wireform for quick feed.

Lous tavern sign will be lit with a couple rgb’s. Maybe pink whip accent lighting like the actual sign.

Mocked up in cardboard. Final version 3D printed when I get farther along.

7A0754F7-5AF2-4407-B342-9DC8A873F51E (resized).jpeg7A0754F7-5AF2-4407-B342-9DC8A873F51E (resized).jpeg7D8653E0-5AAE-4197-8BCF-F0B464A01571 (resized).jpeg7D8653E0-5AAE-4197-8BCF-F0B464A01571 (resized).jpeg9114A655-D9AD-49D0-AB88-058455B0A8C3 (resized).png9114A655-D9AD-49D0-AB88-058455B0A8C3 (resized).png
    #318 4 years ago

Finally done with adjustments and can fire this back up for testing and maybe get the up/down double target working.

Mocked up another item to 3D print — the liposuction clinic. It will have chain link around it in front, and the ball feed from the kickback goes thru the dumpster.

Soon should be back to wiring and installing switches hopefully. This thing is looking pretty ghetto for sure but the important part right now is getting everything working and mocked up so it can be transferred to the more final version.

222D7F6C-D76D-415B-B358-4A2F69005625 (resized).jpeg222D7F6C-D76D-415B-B358-4A2F69005625 (resized).jpeg03FBC6ED-7E6F-465A-8B59-9785F98DAAD5 (resized).jpeg03FBC6ED-7E6F-465A-8B59-9785F98DAAD5 (resized).jpeg
    #320 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Love this theme integration. I'm assuming you can 3d model. If not I'd be happy to model it up. Needs some EL wire for the neon.

Yeah — el wire, counldnt remember what it was called. That would look pretty sweet! May hit you up later — I have zero 3D modeling exp.. was going to learn as I went once getting a printer

#322 4 years ago

toyotaboy is friggn awesome and modeled this up —

CC613DF8-1FCE-40C4-BA76-8229E4B2BF8F (resized).jpegCC613DF8-1FCE-40C4-BA76-8229E4B2BF8F (resized).jpeg

That REALLY makes Me wish I already had a 3D printer! it’s hard to keep messing with mechanics when it’s the art and modeling that will really make it come together and that’s still far down the road. Ah well —

Got a couple switches in and done for today.

8A3CA028-007A-4016-B060-0B1721A1CA98 (resized).jpeg8A3CA028-007A-4016-B060-0B1721A1CA98 (resized).jpeg
    #325 4 years ago

Dang— Clinic is spot on! I love that! What program are you using to draw those?

#327 4 years ago

Still fires right up, amazingly. I pulled a few wires out accidentally at some point flipping the rotesserie— I need to maybe pick up some plastic tubing to protect loose wires. But enough got fixed for nearly everything to work correctly again.

Been fighting a cold last few days but managed to order a 3D printer,And take a look at fusion360 and realize I’ve got a ton of learning ahead. Prototype medical clinic and lous tavern on en route from toyotaboy - excited to get rid of some ugly looking cardboard and replace it with kickass 3D prints!

#330 4 years ago

The front one is the house they live in. Back one was originally a skyscraper , which I think is turning into his condo that gets blown up. I’m going to have a few tall skyscraper buildings with lighting effects for the finale (should a player reach it).

I know these 2 are super close together, and I’ve been thinking I may need to trash the back one and move the house back a bit but for now it is what it is.. I like the wireform wrapping around the skyscraper. (It is still on a motor that goes up and down so it sinks into the playfield when blown up in finale.. having a hard time letting that concept go)

#332 4 years ago

That’s way cool swinks! I think this one will be looking similar

#336 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

whatever you decide to keep, let's get some clean models going on those too

I’m all for that if you want to take it on.. the skyscraper might be more straight fwd.. I have a second one on the far back right .. backboard will be cityscape art to blend in a few more around, .. but because it’s got the 2 mechs attaches to it below I’d need to pull it off and take a few pics/ measurements.

The house is the one that will be tricky, given it’s decrepid state. I read that they built that onsite, brand new.. then aged it. Pretty crazy. Then demoed it after the shoot. The roof has to be a separate piece to fit around the habitrail.. I’d take it on if I had any idea how to do it right now lol.. I need to sit down with 10 tutorials on fusion.. I kind of get how to sketch the shapes in 2d and extrude them up together but it would be slow and painful at this point lol

#337 4 years ago

In the mean time.. still fighting a week long cold so progress I had hoped to be making this weekend while wife is in CA I am not so much making ..

Got a pin2dmd since MPF added support, but that’s only in the Dev version right now and I having troubles running it so right now all I have to stare at is the startup screen. I can imagine this will look awesome if I ever get it working with MPF

6C687A07-7E55-4D52-B28C-128ADEBECB88 (resized).jpeg6C687A07-7E55-4D52-B28C-128ADEBECB88 (resized).jpeg

These are a nice alternative to ColorDMD as well for WPC and/or Stern machines.. much cheaper but not quite plug and play of course. I got the STM32F429 EVO128x32 Color LED DMD from ccpinball.com and then installed the latest Pin2DMD firmware on it. With a traditional pinball it has power connectors for both 12 and 5v, and data is sent via the standard pin-out ribbon cable.

Tested some light wire, thanks for the suggestion Passave . I am liking it. I got small diameter wire as well with controlled colors, should work with the tavern sign well I think. Going to tie it to a driver so it’s not always on.

1941603A-7200-4541-9CEB-AAD82393CEC5 (resized).jpeg1941603A-7200-4541-9CEB-AAD82393CEC5 (resized).jpeg

And then all these boxes arrived with a 3D printer and parts for it. Now I just have to build it all and make a stand for it.
    D70A9EDF-9151-4730-BC77-6B3C8B7DEAB4 (resized).jpegD70A9EDF-9151-4730-BC77-6B3C8B7DEAB4 (resized).jpeg

#338 4 years ago

Changed out cardboard dumpster for plastic, after some spray painting. This took a good number of hours today because I had to cut it to size, then move a post which turned into removing stuff on the bottom side which led to fixing other issues along the way .. and in the end you can’t tell I did a thing but I fixed a broken subway, installed a couple switches, fixed A binding Issue on the motorized bank, swapped targets around for clearance.

3D models are late w/usps today.. guessing they may not arrive but they have till 8pm supposedly

9FA9B56E-B857-4FBA-97F4-138B18651A15 (resized).jpeg9FA9B56E-B857-4FBA-97F4-138B18651A15 (resized).jpeg
    #340 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I was thinking of call outs again for this game and it would be cool to hear the narrator say “it’s a copy of a copy of a copy” as balls eject for multiball. Not an A list idea but just a thought.
    Now I want to watch this movie again for the 67,000th time!

Insomnia multiball, I like it! I might just have to implement that — as a sort of hidden multiball .. I have some ideas about insomnia and the flip flopping of Tyler vs narrator - actually two Or three mechs that I haven’t installed yet for part of that on the playfield.

#342 4 years ago

Little progress..

Tested two kinds of reed switches I had bought - one from China and ones from alien. China ones apparently need 6v and act more like a direct switch to control voltage to a device. The alien ones have 6 pins out and I tried about every combo of two but no luck getting it to act like a switch. Unfortunate.. I had big plans for these. You can still get the wpc style but they are pricey for a switch. If anyone sees this and hows how to get the Alien ones to work, let me know

D7A48D4C-AA4B-471E-845D-211C5054AA67 (resized).jpegD7A48D4C-AA4B-471E-845D-211C5054AA67 (resized).jpeg

Was adjusting the right outline ball save wire and forgot I made space for a kind of last chance save like JJP POTC has... added a post for it. I good shove at the right second could save the ball.. at the risk of a tilt of course.

E77707E4-205C-4B5E-987E-587DDF5FE2DA (resized).jpegE77707E4-205C-4B5E-987E-587DDF5FE2DA (resized).jpeg

Needed to do something different — worked on GI. Major pain to wire these rgb Xmas lights.. but they are great otherwise - esp if you can space them close to each other and don’t need to solder longer wires.
    19251974-045F-4096-AE2A-D1FCCAB24801 (resized).jpeg19251974-045F-4096-AE2A-D1FCCAB24801 (resized).jpeg

Worked up part of the right side. Should have about 20 per side and 5 for the back soap lanes when finished.
    E9923F8A-AA8D-4897-A17A-B809416BA8CC (resized).jpegE9923F8A-AA8D-4897-A17A-B809416BA8CC (resized).jpeg

#343 4 years ago

Right side GI is done. Will add soap lane ones later, should just be one more string.

Tedious work for sure, but makes a huge difference!

Soldered 25 FAST leds as well for insert lighting.

B91847C2-CDBA-4155-8E13-017A12CBD9A6 (resized).jpegB91847C2-CDBA-4155-8E13-017A12CBD9A6 (resized).jpegF1DDB15D-D216-43D5-A0AE-472CEBC96F78 (resized).jpegF1DDB15D-D216-43D5-A0AE-472CEBC96F78 (resized).jpeg
    #344 4 years ago

Printer up and running... Hmmm what could this be?

3827BF49-672E-4D64-88B2-0A503E6146FE (resized).jpeg3827BF49-672E-4D64-88B2-0A503E6146FE (resized).jpeg
    #347 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

liposuctioned fat

Hahaha yes!!!

6342DAEB-7470-485A-99DC-F69CC2621B27 (resized).jpeg6342DAEB-7470-485A-99DC-F69CC2621B27 (resized).jpeg
    #348 4 years ago

Freaking awesome!!! Thank you toyotaboy !!

I screwed up the clinic getting it to fit.. the sign was perfect before my handiwork, but it had to be done unfortunately.

C183E32B-2CB0-43E0-AAF1-E3B0D2CDC4B0 (resized).jpegC183E32B-2CB0-43E0-AAF1-E3B0D2CDC4B0 (resized).jpeg
    #350 4 years ago

Oh I get it — That’s very clever! How’s that working out for you??

Lol, actually to be fair I had forgotten soap was the yardstick. Looking at that script though, questioning done of the wording against my memory...

‘Why? So you can pretend like you give a shit?’

‘With enough soap, one could blow up just about anything’

Is what I recall.. going to have to rewatch, again, obviously lol

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from atum:

I am two years late to the party, but this is awesome! Following this to conclusion!

Better late than never, welcome!!

Quoted from mrm_4:

Yeah I think that script is a little off now that I look at it. Oh well, the yardstick was what I was referencing.
    Probably gonna watch it this weekend, that’s a twice a year movie for me.

Damn, that’s def more than me although I watched it prob 20 times a bit after it was out on dvd and then quite a few after that through the years

#354 4 years ago

Started off tonight with trying to get this little 5” lcd to work. This is **supposed to Show the feed from the webcam, looking at the lower playfield. 12v hooked up, plugged in to computer .. and just flickers. Messed with it a while in settings, and no dice. Giving up. Going to find a 7” lcd with better res. That hopefully works.
    E700F642-AFE7-4E14-9A74-7DE69F0720B3 (resized).jpegE700F642-AFE7-4E14-9A74-7DE69F0720B3 (resized).jpeg

On to trying to get MPF reverted back to a version that worked. An hour there, no dice. Old installs giving me grief. Frustrating.

On to a couple GI strings on left side and call it a night. Oh.. and meanwhile this was Test printing — model courtesy of toyotaboy .. the sculpture from the movie they blow off its mount to smash the franchise coffee bar. When gold filament arrives I will reprint and detail the indentations in black.
    6075BD9E-1F91-408E-9DC5-C5F718171046 (resized).jpeg6075BD9E-1F91-408E-9DC5-C5F718171046 (resized).jpeg

Well mostly irritating evening progress wise, so a little whiskey to sooth the soul ha! Cheers, have a good night ya’ll.

2C77EE39-4996-442C-8266-23B82269CFB4 (resized).jpeg2C77EE39-4996-442C-8266-23B82269CFB4 (resized).jpeg

#356 4 years ago

Good to know! White with gold spray it is!! Might just try painting the pink one I have.. but now what am I going to do with all that gold filament I ordered?!? Lol

#357 4 years ago

Uninstalled everything python, deleted folders.. reinstalled fresh annnddd...

1C214C3F-2553-4330-8BC4-817D3980E31D (resized).jpeg1C214C3F-2553-4330-8BC4-817D3980E31D (resized).jpeg

No dice. Still broken. I don’t know what to do at this point, but batting the ball around by hand will get old fast. Fortunately I can still test lights switches and coils w/out mpf so I can slog ahead for now.

In mean time, designed my first prototype part — GI light bracket.
    D7C6B966-9479-4873-A02B-823FEFE2DD95 (resized).jpegD7C6B966-9479-4873-A02B-823FEFE2DD95 (resized).jpeg

Still tweaking but it works good... this one was modified with the grinder
    3228C976-C61D-4B20-95A0-0D4F2A6945AC (resized).jpeg3228C976-C61D-4B20-95A0-0D4F2A6945AC (resized).jpeg

#360 4 years ago

Yeah — tab down worked, still had a shelf. But the shelf could be cleaner inside... I want to try it filleted on the edge - it should be able to print cleanly that was I think rather than abruptly changing diameters 2mm.

#361 4 years ago

No luck on mpf today, but given that I need to get win10 anyways, thinking about just picking up a new (used) dev laptop and starting fresh.

Just about done stringing GI lights though..
    4894FAE6-1FD0-4307-AF75-C3AF0294619B (resized).jpeg4894FAE6-1FD0-4307-AF75-C3AF0294619B (resized).jpeg

3D printer is giving me grief with stringy crap on prints, been trying to adjust settings to no avail.
    F0278B5F-0441-45C2-B308-260043151BFC (resized).jpegF0278B5F-0441-45C2-B308-260043151BFC (resized).jpeg

#364 4 years ago

I was wondering about those $25 copies.. saw them but they sounded slightly sketchy. But the other part of the equation is mpf and being stuck in the mud with that, and I’m having trouble getting my 7” monitor to work thru the vga port on the laptop. Will prob debate it a bit more.

Dude, that sign looks so good with the lighting!!! I’ve got the el wire working so together those should look amazing!!!

#365 4 years ago

Switched slicers and cura is doing a much better job with initial settings — ok to print a mass of these BEA833A3-15A3-4E44-9154-17A184E6B54A (resized).jpegBEA833A3-15A3-4E44-9154-17A184E6B54A (resized).jpeg

Mpf is back up and running thanks to some assistance from Wolfmarsh — so nice to have that running again!

Coded in all the GI lights, and got them running during a game.E6D05E99-20A8-4EB6-84AA-3914D9908AF1 (resized).jpegE6D05E99-20A8-4EB6-84AA-3914D9908AF1 (resized).jpeg1CCD2805-9142-4A2C-B523-5B81CB594669 (resized).jpeg1CCD2805-9142-4A2C-B523-5B81CB594669 (resized).jpeg

#366 4 years ago

GI test, trying some effects tied to Switches:

exciting stuff in the mail- should be doing some testing by Saturday.

7” lcd displaying lower playfield. Testing coming up to determine feasibility and then placement/orientation in comparison to inserts ..

D6A950E5-0C5B-475F-ABAF-8FE8D3E904B1 (resized).jpegD6A950E5-0C5B-475F-ABAF-8FE8D3E904B1 (resized).jpeg

Thinking about a vertical portrait orientation but I’m not sure that’s the best.. I have some ideas about a dual input that switches Between displaying The lower pf (when active) and scoring / few animations during normal play plus random 1 frame Tyler snippets. Not sure if I can handle the switching in software or via a board driver or something physical (servo switch?)

#367 4 years ago

Got distracted with inserts for a while.. thinking about fit vs lcd. 5” lcd arrived today, I like the fit better but it will come down to playability probably.
    FF342D3A-3DA8-4294-82CF-296602C00275 (resized).jpegFF342D3A-3DA8-4294-82CF-296602C00275 (resized).jpeg

12 hours to print a spool for this filament to size it down to the shaft it spins on. Coulda cut some wood but this was more fun.. now that it’s done, 10 hour overnight print for something to try tomorrow ..
    211DE074-39FA-41BE-91BD-D8F5EFF2B639 (resized).jpeg211DE074-39FA-41BE-91BD-D8F5EFF2B639 (resized).jpeg

F7B22E2E-D5A6-42BA-A084-ED63AA2FDDDE (resized).jpegF7B22E2E-D5A6-42BA-A084-ED63AA2FDDDE (resized).jpeg

#368 4 years ago

First test fitting of billboard / ball lock. Got most of the parts, matter of assembly / adjustment.

FA79D58C-3651-445E-B09A-AC6710E27AC6 (resized).jpegFA79D58C-3651-445E-B09A-AC6710E27AC6 (resized).jpegC82D37B7-E1B1-47D3-A11D-941D4816B106 (resized).jpegC82D37B7-E1B1-47D3-A11D-941D4816B106 (resized).jpeg67623EF6-B560-4B53-81D7-F9CA8C78BED6 (resized).jpeg67623EF6-B560-4B53-81D7-F9CA8C78BED6 (resized).jpeg
    #369 4 years ago

Lous tavern and medical bldg, upgraded versions with lighting — awesome work by toyotaboy!

B884DFC4-A53C-4A02-BFAC-B5FAE7F603C5 (resized).jpegB884DFC4-A53C-4A02-BFAC-B5FAE7F603C5 (resized).jpegE7F38F25-6EC6-4FED-B0BC-FCFE34C33B18 (resized).jpegE7F38F25-6EC6-4FED-B0BC-FCFE34C33B18 (resized).jpegC05F58B6-F5EC-440B-8078-44E86E133803 (resized).jpegC05F58B6-F5EC-440B-8078-44E86E133803 (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #370 4 years ago

Couple updates from last 2 weeks.. first off been doing a lot of printing.. brackets, inserts, etc.. the inserts are for layout testing but I will use them hopefully this round on this proto playfield to save costs.. they work well enough.

Working on subways and buildings, haven’t printed any yet.

68BBA301-BE2C-46B2-A21A-B3E5B52D3AAE (resized).jpeg68BBA301-BE2C-46B2-A21A-B3E5B52D3AAE (resized).jpeg83C50184-2E2A-4549-847A-00ADFB93CC28 (resized).jpeg83C50184-2E2A-4549-847A-00ADFB93CC28 (resized).jpegB1A6E4B9-5BBF-4D50-94F7-53D2A8E385B9 (resized).jpegB1A6E4B9-5BBF-4D50-94F7-53D2A8E385B9 (resized).jpeg6AE350E4-55F8-45C0-8C27-5DB95EC8DEC0 (resized).jpeg6AE350E4-55F8-45C0-8C27-5DB95EC8DEC0 (resized).jpeg1747F55B-22FB-418F-BEC3-E28985991C42 (resized).jpeg1747F55B-22FB-418F-BEC3-E28985991C42 (resized).jpeg1C4F1243-14AC-434F-9247-BFBA934D666F (resized).jpeg1C4F1243-14AC-434F-9247-BFBA934D666F (resized).jpeg82723982-9891-41A0-85F9-F47CC9AF136F (resized).jpeg82723982-9891-41A0-85F9-F47CC9AF136F (resized).jpeg89EBD1E7-1FC7-4817-A940-09F9C72F4739 (resized).jpeg89EBD1E7-1FC7-4817-A940-09F9C72F4739 (resized).jpeg67732134-082B-4B2F-B015-76B31876F38E (resized).jpeg67732134-082B-4B2F-B015-76B31876F38E (resized).jpeg
    #371 4 years ago

Second, working on last of GI. Got upper lane guide GI in.

Also wiring the mini-playfield. Started going amigo style with my old JY harness, scavenging for the banded color wires.

Also spent some time going thru all my docs and ideas and made up a binder. Super helpful for wiring and keeping track of ideas and such.

C1D57979-11D2-48EE-B070-18A91D015DB2 (resized).jpegC1D57979-11D2-48EE-B070-18A91D015DB2 (resized).jpeg5E39AF9C-C340-4140-B75C-A31CFDD27EEF (resized).jpeg5E39AF9C-C340-4140-B75C-A31CFDD27EEF (resized).jpegAD01A080-1352-4D17-8686-47A0F8CA7830 (resized).jpegAD01A080-1352-4D17-8686-47A0F8CA7830 (resized).jpeg2D30B659-9CDA-439A-8202-067394A0104D (resized).jpeg2D30B659-9CDA-439A-8202-067394A0104D (resized).jpeg
    #372 4 years ago

Lower pf is all wired, switch and coil-wise. 8 drivers and 16 switches. It needs to be cleaned up, but all is functioning minus what appears to be a board problem for the smart drop.

I am obviously biased, but I think this thing is pretty packed and is super fun to play even w/out lights, art, sound, points, etc lol. Hope to grab a video tomorrow, and test play thru a 5” and 7” LCD to see feasibility.

2F91C68C-1722-4903-B783-1FBD2AA6B118 (resized).jpeg2F91C68C-1722-4903-B783-1FBD2AA6B118 (resized).jpeg
    #374 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

you've become a modeling / 3d printing fiend!

I know it’s all your fault!! Hahaha I enjoying it way more than I thought I would.. the modeling takes time but is so rewarding to print something to meets its requirements and fills a need. I have a list of stuff waiting to model — got a paper design for doors for lous tavern I am excited to model and print for 1.

#375 4 years ago

Lower pf, finally testing LCD’s — first, just a video of lower pf Play:

Then, thru 7” lcd:

The 5” I need a different hdmi cord to test. Likely going with 5”, just fits better and closer between slings. Alternatively it does appear to fit centered in apron but I’m not sold on that

#376 4 years ago

Testing lighting thru 3D printed material

994DEA41-93CB-4D68-BCC1-F8B822161E4B (resized).jpeg994DEA41-93CB-4D68-BCC1-F8B822161E4B (resized).jpegFE9D662B-ED76-4794-93E9-2829154EA7E4 (resized).jpegFE9D662B-ED76-4794-93E9-2829154EA7E4 (resized).jpeg
    #379 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

You aren't going to get the latency close with that setup.
    You'll need a cmos ( analogue ) camera and a composite ' in' on the monitor.
    over 5 millli seconds of delay and it's unplayable, the ball is past the flipper before you react.
    I went thru several monitors and the latency on hdmi /vga monitors is anywhere between 5 - 40 ms delay.
    A digital camera is even worse.
    You only have to wave your hand in front of your smart phone camera to see this in action.
    This is played from the monitor

Ah good, glad you chimed in - I know you had messed with it quite a bit. So ditch the web camera and go direct into the monitor ? Curious if you had link or specs to what you used? Latency wasn’t great with this setup but was playable. Would love to get get it down for sure

#381 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

For what you're doing a simple 12 volt automotive monitor and a reversing camera .
    They usually have dual channels av1 av2 (& hdmi in some larger units ) a switch line or signal sense
    to flip the input displayed.
    The hdmi could be general animations and the composite in for realtime video
    https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjCxKPGuqPoAhWKk48KHXrpAdIYABAUGgJzYg&sig=AOD64_34In7nBWm4DksiVXfmo1CexBSlhA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwi6_57GuqPoAhWkmOYKHSydDPUQwjwILg&adurl=
    https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj7g6SAu6PoAhUDlI8KHSOJD_8YABAEGgJzYg&sig=AOD64_1gsZ4owQz9bH32mwh47Zasz2L2WA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwigpp6Au6PoAhWkQ3wKHSPvD1IQqCsILw&adurl=

Thank you!! Definitely appreciate this guidance - that makes sense to skip the computer altogether, and digital cameras— hadn’t even considered it. I’ve been trying to think thru how to dual use the monitor for the lower pf when in use and player score,etc other times — if you have 2 inputs into the monitor how do you select one or the other in real time?

I’ve been thinking about a dual input single out selectable a/b sort of splitter box but it would be mechanical and require a servo .. know there must be a better solution

#382 4 years ago

Working from home mostly now so lots of time to babysit the printer..
    2258AA89-B5F1-4559-B1FA-55D5C855644D (resized).jpeg2258AA89-B5F1-4559-B1FA-55D5C855644D (resized).jpeg

Here’s the placeholder it’s replacing — big improvement, hey?
    2A357852-95ED-453D-BE3F-88B0E03596AD (resized).jpeg2A357852-95ED-453D-BE3F-88B0E03596AD (resized).jpeg

Added in Clear insert of windows. It will be lit from inside with 3 rgb GI lights, and something special to do the burning happy face windows from the film.
    DC2D870B-478D-40FF-A358-1FF470262F8F (resized).jpegDC2D870B-478D-40FF-A358-1FF470262F8F (resized).jpeg

#385 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

The monitors have signal sense on channel 2 or a switched +/- in - you would normally hook up to your reversing switch / light
    & always reverts back to channel 1

Perfect— thanks!

hoby1 thats quite the containment system !! I love it, but if I start in in that I’ll never get this pinball done - gotta stay focused for now part of my babysitting is just making sure it’s not f’ing up the prints 2 hours in so at 5 or 6 hours I’m happy with what came out but yeah- the other part is certainly a fire concern

#387 4 years ago

3 GI lights, can get kinda cool lighting on the bldg. 65C8EDC0-9638-4A1F-B6CA-D80E482EDA35 (resized).jpeg65C8EDC0-9638-4A1F-B6CA-D80E482EDA35 (resized).jpeg

Printed a light cap for the smiley part of the face — this is one option, would like it a little brighter so I’m going to try a laser pointer but could pair two lights in this or something too65D7CFF6-8A22-4973-B4EA-8A090473E4F2 (resized).jpeg65D7CFF6-8A22-4973-B4EA-8A090473E4F2 (resized).jpeg

#388 4 years ago

Decided to tackle one of the most difficult models.. the house... hours in so far, lots left to do. Several gi will light it from the inside and it’s hiding an integrated switch bracket for the wireform and routes thru it. Led light over the porch

Build it new first, undetailed for fit.. then go back and add a few things. It needed some adjustments from the original house in the movie in order to get balls up the porch. In the end, it may come down to replacing the motorized 2bank for a smart drop like afm.. it would certainly fit better but I’m not positive I want to go that route.

511CE42C-4BC3-4538-B262-C71E6621B230 (resized).jpeg511CE42C-4BC3-4538-B262-C71E6621B230 (resized).jpeg
    #389 4 years ago

Comparison right now and Taking a look at the wireform path thru the building. Leaning towards that single drop target at the porch vs the 2-bank

15FAB6D9-4F6B-4ED7-A1B8-DF2672EB8646 (resized).jpeg15FAB6D9-4F6B-4ED7-A1B8-DF2672EB8646 (resized).jpeg3D418E91-0752-4C6A-AA6D-8A64D02B2BEE (resized).jpeg3D418E91-0752-4C6A-AA6D-8A64D02B2BEE (resized).jpeg
    #391 4 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

cool stuff. I realize you probably did it for ball/target fitment, but the porch roof being the wrong size would drive me nuts. I think I need to watch the movie again, been way to long don't remember details.

We shall see.. I think once printed you won’t notice.. esp as it just one detail and building of many. The issue is that even if I go the single drop route, the shot would be super tight if I shrink the porch. Planning on doing a print soon just to get an idea how things are looking though

2 weeks later
    #394 4 years ago

Lot of work last 3 weeks, just not a lot of visible progress.. spent a week modeling and remodeling tavern doors and fitting a bracket with bearings for it. Still not quite there, but very close. Working on the best solution to keep the doors closed (except when hit). Lots of iterations and printing..
    2681D220-729E-41AA-93DD-7A75F859F075 (resized).jpeg2681D220-729E-41AA-93DD-7A75F859F075 (resized).jpeg262AA658-8294-4B1F-A157-C7E073A4B69D (resized).jpeg262AA658-8294-4B1F-A157-C7E073A4B69D (resized).jpegFADD2F9C-EACA-4FFE-AC64-752697CEFBC3 (resized).jpegFADD2F9C-EACA-4FFE-AC64-752697CEFBC3 (resized).jpegE3C2D8E7-2A9B-4728-97DF-8AE8A292CE78 (resized).jpegE3C2D8E7-2A9B-4728-97DF-8AE8A292CE78 (resized).jpeg52858FAF-A6BE-403B-B216-6C7FA78C79B1 (resized).jpeg52858FAF-A6BE-403B-B216-6C7FA78C79B1 (resized).jpeg

Meanwhile testing fitting house base. It’s tight as hell, and requires some cuts to get it in. More modeling to come there. But improvements in going from this:
    0DE40C3C-5378-4E47-9437-3C835634D065 (resized).jpeg0DE40C3C-5378-4E47-9437-3C835634D065 (resized).jpeg

To this:
    7E926C1A-D6BB-4E7B-98C1-1264C27F06A9 (resized).jpeg7E926C1A-D6BB-4E7B-98C1-1264C27F06A9 (resized).jpeg

#395 4 years ago

Been wiring lately, switches getting hooked up and few last coils. Will be short on coil drivers so likely another FAST board for that. Wiring just keeps turning into more of a rats nest. I don’t want to sort it until I’m more finalized and know exact lengths I’ll need to reach the boards, which I’m planning on keeping in the bottom of the cab right now.
    D52DE268-6007-479F-8A88-D27A64DF7FAB (resized).jpegD52DE268-6007-479F-8A88-D27A64DF7FAB (resized).jpeg

Trying pink zip ties for fun. I think final wiring will be neat and tight with pink and black
    D76DF3A2-E8DC-4B63-BA40-FD2D43F32633 (resized).jpegD76DF3A2-E8DC-4B63-BA40-FD2D43F32633 (resized).jpeg

Made a decision to scrap the motorized 2x target bank I hacked together for a smart drop. If it sucks I can always go back and 3D print an official 2x bank. It fits much cleaner though. 754246D1-A231-4472-A1AD-A67F0C446CA0 (resized).jpeg754246D1-A231-4472-A1AD-A67F0C446CA0 (resized).jpeg7EACF769-D87E-46C0-9268-F075480086B3 (resized).jpeg7EACF769-D87E-46C0-9268-F075480086B3 (resized).jpeg

#400 4 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

$2000 coaster

Haaaa yeah fair, over the fast boards below prob isn’t the best, but they are at least shielded from above with a piece of plexi. But it fits in there so conveniently lol. I might rethink this location,that’s a good point.

#401 4 years ago

Well I’m ‘One step closer to hitting rock bottom’ (which will be a perfect drain quite as well). Getting a 22hr print lcd bracket done, and the lcd From China wiring up correctly took 3 hours longer than expected.. but look! A display in the correct place - finally!

Unfortunately at some point during my wiring I’ve seemed to screw something up. Lights are all screwy on one side (signal interference?) and I can’t start a game because every 15sec it pulses the lift ramp even though that’s not coded yet. Can’t wait to troubleshoot, lol.
    73B4BE35-9A1C-4496-B673-7AC9209C33CA (resized).jpeg73B4BE35-9A1C-4496-B673-7AC9209C33CA (resized).jpegE9DFCE75-5405-41D3-9CBE-F858FAD7B3AC (resized).jpegE9DFCE75-5405-41D3-9CBE-F858FAD7B3AC (resized).jpeg

09FDEDDC-AF81-4024-93EB-8A1CD115CDF7 (resized).jpeg09FDEDDC-AF81-4024-93EB-8A1CD115CDF7 (resized).jpeg
    #402 4 years ago

Testing a router guide for an insert. Works well, accidentally used a bit 1/16” too big so not a perfect fit but proves the concept, courtesy of another insider who sent me files. Have an idea to adjust models to fit a second template piece for each template to route shelves For inserts.

01AC01C8-FE42-45AD-8916-2097B176FC6A (resized).jpeg01AC01C8-FE42-45AD-8916-2097B176FC6A (resized).jpeg630F16B5-9588-4237-8B2A-18AF0D092BEA (resized).jpeg630F16B5-9588-4237-8B2A-18AF0D092BEA (resized).jpeg
    #403 4 years ago

Installed upper ‘soap’ lane change switches. I bought 4 reed switches to go here a long time ago.. fun to not have holes in the pf but still detect the ball. Proxies would work too but I like how compact these are and that they are passive.

D986C7C8-28B9-4924-BD99-5C40A1F048F6 (resized).jpegD986C7C8-28B9-4924-BD99-5C40A1F048F6 (resized).jpeg022034A5-23EF-4ED2-8468-24A096AA68F6 (resized).jpeg022034A5-23EF-4ED2-8468-24A096AA68F6 (resized).jpeg

Unfortunately this meant routing by hand, cause the space just wasn’t there for even the flat guide for the router.. kinda dangerous w/out it and hard to control but I needed these pockets. I can’t wait to do this on a new blank playfield with a template.. will be a joy in comparison.

Fitting these also meant chopping off all 4 mounting tabs on each switch, so I 3D printed quick brackets to hold them in place. All fits pretty nicely.. my or it gate holder will require adjustments in cad but otherwise we’re good.
    96869E67-FDB4-4959-B84B-B5482E1DC1A9 (resized).jpeg96869E67-FDB4-4959-B84B-B5482E1DC1A9 (resized).jpeg

#404 4 years ago

Also one step closer to my lower playfield camera / screen. They are both here. The quad copter cam is insanely small, I had no idea. Huge improvement already there, and if there’s no lag and has a good field of vision it should be perfect. Realized however that even with all the inputs on the lcd, I don’t have one for the camera. Had to order a plug to wire in before I can test this.

3969DC0C-7E36-4B82-9395-65D1DCB7EE2A (resized).jpeg3969DC0C-7E36-4B82-9395-65D1DCB7EE2A (resized).jpeg
    #405 4 years ago

80 switches wired with molex disconnects and 37 drivers... getting there. So slow but getting there.

#407 3 years ago

lol yeeah there's a very good chance he shows up on the playfield art or backglass though

#408 3 years ago

Been plugging away on this.. I don’t know why but at the time I started modeling this it sounded like a great idea to carefully do the whole mech, even though I really only needed part of it. Theory being that I would like to model a lot of my parts so I can throw them on a CAD pf to get the fit right for cuts and art on the next iteration.

This def. took me a bit but I am getting there.. the main bracket and skyscraper will be 3D printed. Still gotta throw on the VUK and finish with attachment points for it

FD5477BC-A2BC-40F9-B176-B4F55091DACB (resized).jpegFD5477BC-A2BC-40F9-B176-B4F55091DACB (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #409 3 years ago

Modeling done, here’s some shots of this coming together. I had to angle grind it a bit to fit around existing stuff but this version at least fits now on the playfield for now.

1DF08096-F57D-4A9A-811B-037834463F21 (resized).jpeg1DF08096-F57D-4A9A-811B-037834463F21 (resized).jpeg6F8E5226-AA52-4366-AA7C-B5C05064B85A (resized).jpeg6F8E5226-AA52-4366-AA7C-B5C05064B85A (resized).jpegA26CC2AD-299B-4DF9-9D06-C8F09096E15A (resized).jpegA26CC2AD-299B-4DF9-9D06-C8F09096E15A (resized).jpegDCF2F05D-7C07-48AE-B53D-FAAF24C31139 (resized).jpegDCF2F05D-7C07-48AE-B53D-FAAF24C31139 (resized).jpegF5C6CF42-CED6-495E-A760-CC27203AFE7D (resized).jpegF5C6CF42-CED6-495E-A760-CC27203AFE7D (resized).jpeg

#410 3 years ago

Got some high voltage el wire from Germany thanks to Zitt — this stuff kicks ass. I’m going to use a lot of it on my next pin, but I think I can use it a few places on this one as well. More to come..

87A58B9D-97EE-476C-ADAF-A5DAFDF0ED70 (resized).jpeg87A58B9D-97EE-476C-ADAF-A5DAFDF0ED70 (resized).jpegEF8B7149-0144-4EEA-A884-104532AD6DAC (resized).jpegEF8B7149-0144-4EEA-A884-104532AD6DAC (resized).jpeg
    #411 3 years ago

Figuring out insert layout - also got this mini display figured out. Drone camera on the lower pf, feeding to the Tft display directly. Thank you kaboom for guidance! Unfortunately the display didn’t have an auto detect, so I had to order that separate (car back up cam system). A bit of wiring and I should get both the mini playfield feed and a feed from the computer to the display

157D8F5F-1442-4748-81B1-9A0263E1A2A5 (resized).jpeg157D8F5F-1442-4748-81B1-9A0263E1A2A5 (resized).jpeg1A1CDF56-85E5-43B1-9013-DA0DF6D59987 (resized).jpeg1A1CDF56-85E5-43B1-9013-DA0DF6D59987 (resized).jpegFF6E2733-8222-4DFB-A393-7A8B5BF29BFD (resized).jpegFF6E2733-8222-4DFB-A393-7A8B5BF29BFD (resized).jpeg

#412 3 years ago

I made a decision this past week, to install inserts on this white wood version. It means hand routing and disassembly of a lot of the top of the pf- but I’m gonna be working on this still for a while before moving to a clean one where I can use templates for routing so I’m just gonna go for it.
    847DDA39-108F-46AB-B39F-1874787173FF (resized).jpeg847DDA39-108F-46AB-B39F-1874787173FF (resized).jpeg
    In order to save I inserts, I’m printing my own for this playfield. Not as pretty as clear plastic but still lets plenty of light thru to be functional
    DBFAD809-E52B-41BB-8EF9-BB521FA93EA3 (resized).jpegDBFAD809-E52B-41BB-8EF9-BB521FA93EA3 (resized).jpeg

Some inserts will get this treatment:DE68E9CD-7634-471E-9808-D76D7352899E (resized).jpegDE68E9CD-7634-471E-9808-D76D7352899E (resized).jpeg

#413 3 years ago

Hand routing is a mess, slow, and nerve wracking. But it’s coming along:

6D0185F2-EA2A-4826-B15F-DE497EF4FB94 (resized).jpeg6D0185F2-EA2A-4826-B15F-DE497EF4FB94 (resized).jpeg21331EC5-6C3A-426C-989D-36D6A7CD7CB4 (resized).jpeg21331EC5-6C3A-426C-989D-36D6A7CD7CB4 (resized).jpegAA240AFF-E0B9-4B4A-A28B-D6A18AB18493 (resized).jpegAA240AFF-E0B9-4B4A-A28B-D6A18AB18493 (resized).jpeg
    #416 3 years ago

Thanks! It’s something lol, I dunno about impressive as there are guys on here doing some amazing home brews at a whole nother level But that keeps me motivated to keep at it.

Tentative plan is to finish inserts, sand or paint playfield, cut and install a very thin Lexan sheet and then repopulate playfield.

Then I can finish up some mech stuff, clean up prototype prints, and finish up switches/switch wiring. I figure I can use this for some coding while I work on 3D modeling it all so I can print a layout of inserts and cuts to make a clean version down the road with real inserts and probably art at that point as well.

#418 3 years ago

Hand routing is a bitch. That much more so when you have to strip the top to fit the router in .. but it’s coming along. A few more not drawn yet to go in and a few left to cut. The shelf routes are time killing, but the full cuts go much faster.

1A61897E-E4CA-4729-B135-813646046301 (resized).jpeg1A61897E-E4CA-4729-B135-813646046301 (resized).jpeg

#420 3 years ago
    Quoted from LynnInDenver:

Might be worth looking into one of those Shaper routers, the ones that are computer assisted.

Yeah, those are sweet but $$ last I looked. It’s all good, just a one time thing for this white wood. Next round I will be using the 3D printed templates. They only work though with a stripped bare playfield due to size and having to be clamped

1 week later
    #421 3 years ago

Done routing white wood, bondoing in some holes and sanding clean. I regret using sharpie marker now a bit. Still gotta strip a few things off to lay a clean lexan sheet on top and start tracing cuts.

0CE2D7A9-4C1A-4679-92E3-780D6E2A5799 (resized).jpeg0CE2D7A9-4C1A-4679-92E3-780D6E2A5799 (resized).jpeg
    #422 3 years ago

Inserts in. Time to cut lexan and start learning Inkscape and/or Gimp for some insert labeling and key lines

8657C3F6-A4B0-4127-BCFF-2020C90F595E (resized).jpeg8657C3F6-A4B0-4127-BCFF-2020C90F595E (resized).jpeg

I think that’s near 100 inserts?!? Doesn’t seem possible, gotta count again

#424 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Jesus dude. This project is amazing!
    So glad you’re pushing onward with this.

Thanks mrm_4 - just caught up on your FP restore last night - beautiful job!!! That’s a special project to me as it launched me down the road to building Fight Club. My restore didn’t come out quite as nice as yours though.

This project has taken longer than I ever would have imagined but I am so far still pretty motivated to get thru the physical build so I can code some gameplay on this white wood, which will be a great pay off

#426 3 years ago

Thanks to HighVoltage for the protector sheet. Lotta cuts to make, Mostly down to little hardware holes. Busted a second $20 1/8” router bit - they are delicate running at speed.. but the router is great for larger / non circle cuts. Otherwise the spade bit is my second choice here, followed by a Brad tip bit and last would be the Forstner bits.

Counted up 102 inserts, and 50 GI. Another 40 or so combined Lights on the lower playfield so it should come in around 200 controlled lights, excluding flashers.

158CD1BF-FB22-4D10-AD3D-69A5EE6B23B8 (resized).jpeg158CD1BF-FB22-4D10-AD3D-69A5EE6B23B8 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #427 3 years ago

Made a new slightly larger window to fit the attachment system- barrel screws that will adjust the 4 corner heights by thumb screws from below the playfield.

B3A92E83-5A23-4A9B-B6A1-9B673BFC1CB7 (resized).jpegB3A92E83-5A23-4A9B-B6A1-9B673BFC1CB7 (resized).jpeg
    473 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Mbecker. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mbecker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-first-rule-is-fight-club-homebrew-build?tu=Mbecker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.