Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,011 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 167 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

405069973_7150533634989700_9144205483888789224_n (resized).jpg
    404993735_7150533524989711_5239683263420208945_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5420 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-5237 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5238 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5074 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5076 (resized).jpg
    church_real (resized).png
    church (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HighVoltage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 6 years ago

Got to try the cardboard ramps proto when visiting @mbecker. This thing already shoots decent and will have some nice combos. I'm looking forward to try the wireform version! I'm impressed with the progress, nice work!

I haven't seen the movie for a long time, I need to re-watch so I can understand and appreciate this better.

#67 6 years ago

You did get my -updated- measurement for those drops right! Just double checking, still looks kind of long.

It is sticking out a bit: maybe try how it feels with the back angled to the side a bit more, but doesn't seem it is blocking shots. It doesn't look like you have any upper left backhand shots anyway. I take it that scoop behind it is in only, right?

1 month later
    #179 5 years ago

Cool you found some of those Williams reed switches: where did you find those? I was curious if you could get something generic to perform similarly though.

Also, Pinball Life order arrived, which means your optos and .093 pins arrived.

You already have the WPC cab? That's a good deal for that: was that the parted out Dracula one you had to hunt down the seller, but did finally get?

It's looking good, look forward to try again soon.

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Motor driver board arrived from across the ‘pond’ — can start working more on skyscraper up/down. My main concern with it is if a switch malfunctions, don’t want the motor to still run and strip out the gearing. I think it might overcurrent if this starts to happen and will blow a fuse?

Why would it strip out a gear? Usually these are designed to just continue going up and down: lever/wheel design. But if you're doing a linear design you could throw in fail-safe cut-outs of the motor power at extreme boundaries.

#200 5 years ago

Hhm, all the pinball ones I've seen are all lever and wheel and could only go a little ways past detection point and then cycle back the other way: lever just rotating on a wheel just cycles up and down. Shadow motor will actually break if the detection is faulty? Never seen any set ups like that.

On a linear set up, you could do something simple like add a normally-closed leaf switch on the motor power or ground control path that opens if detection fails and mech runs into it. But that means mech is out until you service the problem.

10 months later
    #257 5 years ago

You plan to bring this to NWPAS as under-construction? Or depends how far you are?

3 months later
    #277 4 years ago

Why does the playfield look so small in that last pic? Ha, almost looks Zizzle size! It's just an illusion though, it's a full-size playfield of course!

I walked by the homebrews a lot, and often noticed kids engrossed at being able to see the guts of Fight Club: looking above, looking below and seeing how things work. You may want a cabinet next year, but that format really pulled in the kids and got them enthusiastic. It was cool to see.

1 year later
    #554 3 years ago

I got to play this last week. It's really starting to come together with some nice refinements starting to make it feel "real", like welcome audio when you press start, and the extra audio effects and music. The building lighting up when shooting through it is a fun and unique touch.

I also got some insights on more stuff to come. I can't believe how much time Mike is putting into this, truly a labor of love. I guess that's the beauty of homebrew, can go as over-the-top as you want without worrying about practicality constraints. This is really a fantasy build. I'd hate to know the BOM when this thing is done. I don't think any of you could afford this, ha.

1 month later
    #576 2 years ago

Wait, what? That's just for board mounting? You had that laser cut? You're really blowing the budget on this! You buy some bitcoin or something?

Or is that for mirrored backglass? But it's small... hhmm...

Red paint? Seeing as you have unlimited budget and time, maybe some multi-colored EL paper behind each of those would be suitably extravagant!

Pink EL paper would really make that font pop nicely!

That interior is nice, going to do the full cab like that? Won't be losing any parts in there!

#578 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Hahaha, I priced getting it cut vs just a blank and it wasn’t that much more. It was more fun to design it anyway. I actually was thinking about lighting, that would come on when the translite is removed. EL paper would be cool, I hadn’t thought of that. I think you’re on to something there!
    The interior was going to be black.. but you’re starting to convince me to go pink. I already have black mirrored side blades around here fir this I think so the pink would just highlight that on the sides of the Pf.

How about this...

Do some similar laser cuts in your mirror blades and then the pink cab interior will show through, or even better, pink EL behind the cutouts. Don't hide that cool shit in the backbox!

#590 2 years ago

Yeah, speaker panel's a nice place to use it! EL paper is flush and not very bright so there won't be bleed. Just do cut-out and EL paper, forget the acrylic.

Quoted from Mbecker:

Of course all this distracts from getting "real" work done, but it's fun. Sometimes you just gotta run with what's fun.

Careful, is it Jpop who said that? Ha...

Are you making sure to file patents on all this stuff?

#591 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Sometimes you just gotta run with what's fun.

You know I kind of agree though...

Pimping out Avatar with some EL? Time consuming...

Seeing @mbecker's reaction on seeing it, priceless...

Avatar-EL (resized).jpgAvatar-EL (resized).jpg

#593 2 years ago

Probably your sheet of EL is too big for the power supply, those things are cheap. You can cut it down to size, it will be brighter. Depending how big your cutout is, split the EL into two pieces and use two power supplies. Or maybe you can find a better power supply, I didn't look too thoroughly when I considered that option.

11 months later
    #836 1 year ago

WOW! I haven't been on pinside regularly recently and lost track of this thread. This has come a long way, and the play has become so much more refined. That "warp shot" is looking pretty smooth. I need to play this again.

My jaw dropped when I saw the playfield wiring: that is INSANE.

Knowing how much time you've spent on some stuff has me wondering about the total hours in this project. I was wondering how it would compare to Stern's sum of hours from a team of developers making a new game: wish we had some idea of what that is, and wish you kept a log of your hours. Really cool that you've done it all yourself.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HighVoltage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-first-rule-is-fight-club-homebrew-build?tu=HighVoltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.