Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,011 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 167 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

405069973_7150533634989700_9144205483888789224_n (resized).jpg
    404993735_7150533524989711_5239683263420208945_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5420 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-5237 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5238 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5074 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5076 (resized).jpg
    church_real (resized).png
    church (resized).png
    There are 1,011 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 21.
    #51 6 years ago

Awesome, I'm hooked, I love the theme.

#52 6 years ago

Here's what I ended up with on my 1st attempt. (This is after hours of bending) -- what a pain in the ass! I still don't have them quite right but it's close. It turns out it's super difficult to bend wire in one axis while maintaining them straight in another axis. (ie, my z-axis was getting goofy while I was bending the wire in the x and y axis's).

It should work out good.. but it's some difficult work I wasn't expecting.

IMG_5988 (resized).JPGIMG_5988 (resized).JPG

IMG_5990 (resized).JPGIMG_5990 (resized).JPG

#53 6 years ago

2/10/18:

Replacing some cardboard with metal. Reusing some old guides I had from JY, added DE style pop bumper, my AFM scoop, another scoop, and cut holes for lift ramp.
    IMG_5992 (resized).JPGIMG_5992 (resized).JPG

Got to use my dad's caliper/compass set from engineering school in the 60's/70's finally.. kinda cool to use. Engineering was so different back then with hand drawing -- they did some really cool stuff. And the punch cards for programming, that's one thing that probably isn't missed much LOL.
    IMG_5994 (resized).JPGIMG_5994 (resized).JPG

#54 6 years ago

2/11/18

That wraps things up for tonight (2/15/18). Here's where I'm at:

IMG_6007 (resized).JPGIMG_6007 (resized).JPG

Picked up 6' brass wire lengths today from the metal shop and have guides to pick up tomorrow to finish those up. More wire bending this weekend while I wait for more used parts/mechs to arrive from Bulgaria.

I am really excited to get those mechs and finish up the basic design so I can test it and code a mode to try it out. With MPF, I stand right now with a super simple attract mode with a 4 slide show and music, and a 3-ball game that tracks score via the 4 inlane/outlane switches I have wired.

#55 6 years ago

This is coming along so well! I’ll be up your way in the next few days to bring you some goods!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

This is coming along so well! I’ll be up your way in the next few days to bring you some goods!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Sweeeet!! Thanks Aaron! This wouldn’t be possible without the support from you and Dave!

#57 6 years ago

The things you used to own, now they own you.

Following

#58 6 years ago

Good on you for getting in there!
    It's the perfect theme which is why I chose to do it for my 2019 build.
    I may rethink that now but I've also invested a lot of time and $$$ in the playfield design already.
    I suppose there's already parallel builds of batman going on.
    The trouble with building a pin is you've really gotta love the theme or you'll lose inspiration ...and I really love this theme.
    It's going to take me some time to get used to the idea of not doing it .
    Thankyou as well for actually starting and then showing a playfield first up for all to see your serious and not just fantasising
    about this build , its something that is starting to grind my gears in several threads.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

Good on you for getting in there!
    It's the perfect theme which is why I chose to do it for my 2019 build.
    I may rethink that now but I've also invested a lot of time and $$$ in the playfield design already.
    I suppose there's already parallel builds of batman going on.
    The trouble with building a pin is you've really gotta love the theme or you'll lose inspiration ...and I really love this theme.
    It's going to take me some time to get used to the idea of not doing it .
    Thankyou as well for actually starting and then showing a playfield first up for all to see your serious and not just fantasising
    about this build , its something that is starting to grind my gears in several threads.

Always room for more than one not a competition - love to see parallel builds. Be cool to have not 1 but 2 FC’s in the world I went thru a lot of design possibilities but ultimately I realized the same thing you said — pick the one your most passionate about. It’s a long project, don’t want to lose interest..

#60 6 years ago

looking good, hope to play it finished one day

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

looking good, hope to play it finished one day

And the last and final rule — if you’ve never played Fight Club Pinball... then you HAVE to play!

Come to the nw show next year - should be there in whatever state it’s in at that point. Too early along for this year probably but we’ll see

#62 6 years ago

Got to try the cardboard ramps proto when visiting @mbecker. This thing already shoots decent and will have some nice combos. I'm looking forward to try the wireform version! I'm impressed with the progress, nice work!

I haven't seen the movie for a long time, I need to re-watch so I can understand and appreciate this better.

#63 6 years ago

On my way to pick up stainless for ball guides and upper ramp. In the mean time I’ve been pondering this:

8F1ABF8A-45D6-46F2-A272-3BB09A4C7A41 (resized).jpeg8F1ABF8A-45D6-46F2-A272-3BB09A4C7A41 (resized).jpeg

The left side at the pencil is my 5bank drop set. I think it’s ok here but I’ve been looking at other games and it’s not typical to have pf components out so far on the sides. Can’t decide if it’s going to be an issue- may try some slo mo video to see where shots are coming off the flipper going that way.

Ok, metal picked up. Lucked out and onlinemetals.com has a pickup location here so saved $20 in shipping although it was an hour of driving or so.
    01367402-6266-49B9-95C2-BE41E21F8A1A (resized).jpeg01367402-6266-49B9-95C2-BE41E21F8A1A (resized).jpeg

#64 6 years ago

Wow! Cant believe I didn't see this. I love this movie! Subscribed.

chloe-fight-club-quote-speech-dead.gifchloe-fight-club-quote-speech-dead.gif

#65 6 years ago

Worker flips can win
    Extra balls can score away
    The pin is their slave

My all-time favorite movie. Almost too much gold to mine with this one. Eagerly following. Would be fun to use a captive ball as a piece of "corporate art"...

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Worker flips can win
    Extra balls can score away
    The pin is their slave
    My all-time favorite movie. Almost too much gold to mine with this one. Eagerly following. Would be fun to use a captive ball as a piece of "corporate art"...

Thanks — love the haiku that’s another side mission I’ve thought about — some shot or combo will collect haikus I am thinking. I like the corporate art captive ball. Right now the idea is the skyscraper lowers 2 levels and the ball crashes thru like the coffee shop to a subway beneath it ideas are always changing as I go.

Love the thoughts and ideAs so far though - keeps me thinking

#67 6 years ago

You did get my -updated- measurement for those drops right! Just double checking, still looks kind of long.

It is sticking out a bit: maybe try how it feels with the back angled to the side a bit more, but doesn't seem it is blocking shots. It doesn't look like you have any upper left backhand shots anyway. I take it that scoop behind it is in only, right?

#68 6 years ago

Looks amazing already

#69 6 years ago

you should do a "his name is Robert Paulson" mode similar to the doah mode in TSPP.

#70 6 years ago

inspiring!

#71 6 years ago

I also hear the narrator saying "we have the exact same briefcase!" when the game gives a Match Credit.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

You did get my -updated- measurement for those drops right! Just double checking, still looks kind of long.
    It is sticking out a bit: maybe try how it feels with the back angled to the side a bit more, but doesn't seem it is blocking shots. It doesn't look like you have any upper left backhand shots anyway. I take it that scoop behind it is in only, right?

I did yeah thanks -- Actually at that same time I found someone else who *just* got a FF and he measured the exact 5 bank I am getting - matched your updated measurements. The piece of styrofoam I'm using is actually 1/4" short or so.. What do you mean by angling the back more - so it's closer to straight up/down and less into the playfield? I am wondering why Stern has gone with angling targets in similar positions.. it seems like they used to be much more straight but you look at ACDC, SW.. they are much more angled. The left flip backhand shots -- yeah not too many, you can hit the orbit and ramp I think. I don't want the 5-bank to be a main focus which will happen if it's angled so it's the cleanest shot off the flippers.

Quoted from fisherdaman:

you should do a "his name is Robert Paulson" mode similar to the doah mode in TSPP.

yes! The lane change at the pops is 3 positions so right now I'm going with "BOB", and maybe after a certain # completions you hit Robert Paulson mode. For some reason it make me also think of Being John Malkovich - when he goes into his own head "malkovich? Malkovich! Malkvovich"

Quoted from mrm_4:

I also hear the narrator saying "we have the exact same briefcase!" when the game gives a Match Credit.

That's a great idea!! Writing it down for when I get to that point. Maybe the animations rotates thru different briefcase for 00-90 or something for the match.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

That's a great idea!! Writing it down for when I get to that point. Maybe the animations rotates thru different briefcase for 00-90 or something for the match.

Or maybe the digits on the briefcase for the lock, 3 digits on one side for the game and 3 digits on the other as the player score.

Edit: never mind youre idea is better

#74 6 years ago

The "Stealing Fat" theme would be great as the ball rests at the plunger.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

» YouTube video

I like it! There's a lot of great material on the soundtrack that just needs to be cut up and clipped to size that is usable I think. I am planning on having a number of different shoot lane tracks and each ball 1 - 3 will have maybe 3 different tracks that could be selected to play thru a random selection generator.

#76 6 years ago

Great concept! Looking good so far!

Quoted from Mbecker:

Here's what I ended up with on my 1st attempt. (This is after hours of bending) -- what a pain in the ass! I still don't have them quite right but it's close. It turns out it's super difficult to bend wire in one axis while maintaining them straight in another axis. (ie, my z-axis was getting goofy while I was bending the wire in the x and y axis's).

It should work out good.. but it's some difficult work I wasn't expecting.

Do you have one of these? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-8593

#77 6 years ago

One of my all-time favorite movies, can't want to see where this goes.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Great concept! Looking good so far!

Do you have one of these? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-8593

$6 -- dang, cheap!! No I don't have one yet -- I spent a long time trying to find one that was cheap and looked like it would work well.. ordered something that's coming, I think it's similar to this will have to see.. The one I wanted was more substantial but Harbor Freight discontinued it and they just sold out. May have to order one of these too and try it -- hate to pay $6 in shipping for $6 item.. will have to gather together some more parts needs for an order. thanks!

#79 6 years ago

2/16/18

Got my longest guide bent - need to clean up done hot glue before fastening in place.
    F42CFBB4-1549-41A3-8814-F7A4BA3A6F72 (resized).jpegF42CFBB4-1549-41A3-8814-F7A4BA3A6F72 (resized).jpeg

Prototyping skyscraper in wood now. It will have an opto set in front to register hits when all the way up. Lowers two positions with a rack/pinion gear system below Playfield. Will have a slightly larger case around it below that will funnel balls down to subway. Tentatively at least.
    3B9A5DFB-DDF4-465F-A9EE-EC03F9002039 (resized).jpeg3B9A5DFB-DDF4-465F-A9EE-EC03F9002039 (resized).jpeg
    C11A8F6E-265C-4102-9493-C9EB577CDFD7 (resized).jpegC11A8F6E-265C-4102-9493-C9EB577CDFD7 (resized).jpeg

#80 6 years ago

Wow, that looks tall... at that forward distance from the back wall, will the back of the cabinet glass clear it? You don't wanna pull a Jpop

#81 6 years ago

I think this thread breaks the first rule of fight club. Just FYI.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Wow, that looks tall... at that forward distance from the back wall, will the back of the cabinet glass clear it? You don't wanna pull a Jpop

It appears tall yes — but that’s because it has over an inch below the Playfield to engage the rack/pinion gearing. Zoom in - there’s a line I drew about 2” up where they Playfield level is. It’s 5.75” above the Playfield - should fit.

Quoted from Prefect:

I think this thread breaks the first rule of fight club. Just FYI.

There was no way around that I’m afraid LOL - but I figure anyone in here has got to be a member ...

#83 6 years ago

Great project! I just discovered this thread and plan to follow.

10EF27F7-9A72-4FEB-8D43-E9D87C711902 (resized).jpeg10EF27F7-9A72-4FEB-8D43-E9D87C711902 (resized).jpeg

#84 6 years ago

Ball save - yes I’m selling some clothes
    This is your life and it’s ending one game at a time.

Playfeild doubler. Life insurenes pays off triple if you die on a business trip

Mbecker you are by far the most interesting single serving friend I have meet.

#85 6 years ago

You know the op could be a crazed psycopath that goes from Pinball show to Pinball show pumping round after round into fellow enthusiast. Can be someone you know or respect. Or you can stop bother me with every crap game idea you come up with.

Pinball mayhem ( on YouTube)

#86 6 years ago

This is a great thread!!! I've been following the crazy mansion build and it's one of my favorite threads and now I get to follow another cool build thread.someday when I retire I hope to do my own build or even a retheme,Cheech and Chong would be my choice.good luck and have fun.

#87 6 years ago

Absolutely fascinating and amazing!

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

This is a great thread!!! I've been following the crazy mansion build and it's one of my favorite threads and now I get to follow another cool build thread.someday when I retire I hope to do my own build or even a retheme,Cheech and Chong would be my choice.good luck and have fun.

Can’t compete with the crazy mansion — except that I can build on days besides Friday, but the Amigos are awesome and I’m a follower as well.

#89 6 years ago

2/17/18

Ok time to get this back guide installed..
    344A85AE-ACE9-4CFD-966B-E3BE7346E4FB (resized).jpeg344A85AE-ACE9-4CFD-966B-E3BE7346E4FB (resized).jpeg

Drill some holes for screws and to mount angle brackets.
    2E5F05F1-DF10-4FCE-B033-4CCA826D1759 (resized).jpeg2E5F05F1-DF10-4FCE-B033-4CCA826D1759 (resized).jpeg

And boom! Installed. Using ramp screws for now, just enough clearance below the ball. This took way longer than it should have.. and disheartening as it involved a lot of deconstruction but stuff is going back on now. Couple more critical guides and then on to something else.
    5E9EF3A6-1500-4385-AC7C-B25F81BD4A1C (resized).jpeg5E9EF3A6-1500-4385-AC7C-B25F81BD4A1C (resized).jpeg

#90 6 years ago

Mail!! Hey hey- turns out I did order that exact wire bender that Marco sells LOL - I had no idea what I had ordered. Will try that out Monday.

229B57A1-8802-435D-91BC-BC730B1EEA1F (resized).jpeg229B57A1-8802-435D-91BC-BC730B1EEA1F (resized).jpeg

And from another awesome pinsider — some breakout boards for optos. So weird - this I the second letter of pin parts I’ve received in last couple weeks and both of them arrived like this:
    1AE28FC9-7744-4A1C-A5E4-EB2D9620844D (resized).jpeg1AE28FC9-7744-4A1C-A5E4-EB2D9620844D (resized).jpeg
    Totally tipped open! Crazy mail handlers throwing these things around!

Boards:
    6DEB18E7-F381-4853-B3DF-3DCAEF8C5314 (resized).jpeg6DEB18E7-F381-4853-B3DF-3DCAEF8C5314 (resized).jpeg

#91 6 years ago

Disclaimer: damn metal edges are sharp. I thought this might happen eventually...and it did.

9C834745-C243-4CEF-A5C7-2A13F027887D (resized).jpeg9C834745-C243-4CEF-A5C7-2A13F027887D (resized).jpeg

Guides are in after a lot of grinding, filing, bending, and dicking around with them.

395FD46D-62C5-422E-963C-CE7CBCD782C6 (resized).jpeg395FD46D-62C5-422E-963C-CE7CBCD782C6 (resized).jpeg

Here’s my elevator mech. I didn’t think this was going to work and I was looking at ordering a rack pinion gear system but this might actually be perfect after some grinding and bending. It should fit under the Playfield allowing room for subways and provides bonus nice solid glide system on the metal shafts. Another nice shadow mech usage.
    1E1B6455-A4EB-4063-8365-DED4CB9A3751 (resized).jpeg1E1B6455-A4EB-4063-8365-DED4CB9A3751 (resized).jpegCFA24617-1D63-46E6-8596-45295A175470 (resized).jpegCFA24617-1D63-46E6-8596-45295A175470 (resized).jpeg

#92 6 years ago

Hey even the Mona Lisa is falling apart

#93 6 years ago

Looking awesome! You need a PAPER ST street sign topper!

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

Man, the whole soundtrack for Fight Club is awesome. I used to add a few songs into my work out mix. One of them was "Finding the Bomb". Great source for the pin.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Looking awesome! You need a PAPER ST street sign topper!

Thanks for the reminder! At a minimum I do need a paper street street sign for somewhere on Playfield and keep forgetting about it. Topper would be cool

2/18/18

Trying to piece stuff together from spare parts.. turns out wms coils are slightly longer than Gottlieb by about 2mm or so.. my wms coil ain’t gonna fit so it’s gottileb for now to lift the ramp.
    133013C6-BD10-4102-AF18-03D50FFF1CFA (resized).jpeg133013C6-BD10-4102-AF18-03D50FFF1CFA (resized).jpeg

I didn’t want to pay $30 for a mini coil to control the orbit gates when I have like 10 of them here from this old gottileb pf. So it’s to the garage to make some proto brackets in wood.
    A356552E-9876-4889-9113-9F67D42DC48B (resized).jpegA356552E-9876-4889-9113-9F67D42DC48B (resized).jpeg
    EAA5C186-254F-44D1-8188-7B1FB282E8D1 (resized).jpegEAA5C186-254F-44D1-8188-7B1FB282E8D1 (resized).jpeg

Got the shadow bracket in place below the skyscraper. Still need to secure it, then I can figure out switch needs to trigger the 3 positions.
    D33604C0-C420-4803-90B5-EC40226F54B3 (resized).jpegD33604C0-C420-4803-90B5-EC40226F54B3 (resized).jpeg

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I didn’t want to pay $30 for a mini coil to control the orbit gates when I have like 10 of them here from this old gottileb pf. So it’s to the garage to make some proto brackets in wood.

I hear you. Went through this decision last weekend. I broke down and bought the coil. It also came with a actuator spring. Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a bracket to just use a stock relay.

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

I hear you. Went through this decision last weekend. I broke down and bought the coil. It also came with a actuator spring. Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a bracket to just use a stock relay.

That would be great - yet another great 3d print option!

I think I’m going to order 1 to see what they look like.. in mean time I made one with wood and an old spring. Works pretty good actually.
    7EAECB58-60BE-4BB1-92C2-C4E45C9A0BAD (resized).jpeg7EAECB58-60BE-4BB1-92C2-C4E45C9A0BAD (resized).jpegF9535C7F-139B-40FA-950D-E4982ABB3061 (resized).jpegF9535C7F-139B-40FA-950D-E4982ABB3061 (resized).jpeg8E41970A-478F-4373-BB7B-267CBEEBBBAF (resized).jpeg8E41970A-478F-4373-BB7B-267CBEEBBBAF (resized).jpeg

#98 6 years ago

2/20/18

Spent the morning building this..
    CF540F58-DD26-4268-8C63-73985AA7E1DF (resized).jpegCF540F58-DD26-4268-8C63-73985AA7E1DF (resized).jpeg
    89B6001A-E8E0-4D76-98E0-F8F7E4D2DDF3 (resized).jpeg89B6001A-E8E0-4D76-98E0-F8F7E4D2DDF3 (resized).jpeg

The skyscraper is mounted now and has the correct movement needed up and down just barely. Next up is to figure out the position switches and build a quick proto subway where the square is sharpied on the wood.

Also did some metal work - not a great job at all as I was hurrying along but got the upper ramp built mostly. Did 2 consecutive loops on it without it being secured completely so it should work ok I think. Gonna need some trimming later on.
    CBAFB013-2E23-4F68-9EA7-B72D04201658 (resized).jpegCBAFB013-2E23-4F68-9EA7-B72D04201658 (resized).jpeg

Of course after mounting all the upper lane change guides, I realized stern/Sega ones are not as wide and I should be able to squeeze an extra in.. meaning the lanes will become “soap” for a soap bonus multiplier on each completion I think. Or something else..I dunno, but Soap pretty for certain.

#99 6 years ago

Wow... this is the one to watch. Shaping up very nicely. One of the best home brew themes ever!

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from adamross:

Wow... this is the one to watch. Shaping up very nicely. One of the best home brew themes ever!

Thanks! glad at least a few pinsiders are into the theme

I put the “ramps” back on for a quick shot to date of progress. Still have not gotten to rest of wire forms. I need to pick up a blow torch this week and then will try brazing the brass forms with solder. Hopefully finished about the time the rest of the mechs arrive from Bulgaria.
    F121C5CA-7B27-4798-B5ED-9F6A35283F40 (resized).jpegF121C5CA-7B27-4798-B5ED-9F6A35283F40 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,011 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-first-rule-is-fight-club-homebrew-build/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.