Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,011 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 167 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

405069973_7150533634989700_9144205483888789224_n (resized).jpg
    404993735_7150533524989711_5239683263420208945_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5420 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-5237 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5238 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5074 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5076 (resized).jpg
    church_real (resized).png
    church (resized).png
    There are 1,011 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.
    #901 1 year ago

Mike interview:

Thanks for the credit on the screen

FC_credit (resized).pngFC_credit (resized).png
    1 month later
    #902 1 year ago

I was looking at the TNA article and happened to notice this got posted:
    https://www.knapparcade.org/post/brand-new-video-of-the-fight-club-homebrew-pinball-machine

Been a little over a month since the show -- I had a number of ball hang spots that I have mostly solved I believe. Down to 1 place at the top of each orbit where it's flat and the ball can hang occasionally.. although I have a plan for that yet to be implemented. One ask at the show was "does the middle scoop ever DO anything?". The answer is YES -- but I hadn't coded it yet. It's the extraball collection (probably), but also the homework mode start as well as the mystery shot collect. During the last month I've got most of the mystery shot coded, although it needs tweaking.

I added the # of kickbacks, gate saves, and tilts you have to the lower LCD.. and I changed the code to allow gate saves and kickback attempts to persist/build during all 3 balls rather than resetting. They just are hard to earn.. The gate save targets now also rotate the lit one based on flipper hits - so you can attempt to get the sling to shoot the ball into the unlit one with some "control". I also pushed the outline adjustable posts up to make the gaps smaller. All of these things done in recognition that the game was tough at the show.. and still even for me. I wanted to make the game times a little longer and allow more game progress, which will hopefully be coded in by next June.

I also have been looking at the computer I used for this, and seeing the GPU/CPU spiking to 100% when there's a lot of video activity, which I can see is causing glitching. I ended up upgrading to an AMD mini-PC with Ryzon7, which I need to reinstall everything on before converting over. Hoping that will be the *final* final PC lol.. since the one I'm replacing was supposed to be the final one.

That's where I'm at -- Painting the outside of the house now for the summer so very little time to knock out FC progress. Hopefully more to come in the fall.

#903 1 year ago

Thanks for the update Mike!
    We'll be waiting

#904 1 year ago

Love this video where the camera slowly goes over the playfield, it's really cool to see your machine up close!

2 months later
    #905 1 year ago

Getting close to wrapping up the exterior house painting project.. just in time, as fall weather is closing in as well. Hope to find some bits of time to work on code.. haven’t touched this in months now sadly. I have a new pc to install in it and some bugs to fix in the mystery shot I was working on when I stopped.

We did fire it up for a few games the other night — and I remembered this little Easter egg.. when you shut it off, half the inserts have a residual glow as I used glow in the dark filament when I printed them. Wish I had done them all that way, kinda fun.

4ED13127-1796-423D-B130-F8D40FDCE43F (resized).jpeg4ED13127-1796-423D-B130-F8D40FDCE43F (resized).jpeg
    #906 1 year ago

It does not matter how many times you leave something it only matters how many times you return!

#907 1 year ago

I am Jacks envy, so much progress, love this thread.

#908 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tyler_Durden:

I am Jacks envy, so much progress, love this thread.

Welcome to the thread… Sir…

#909 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Well to the thread… Sir…

Thank you and remember, if anyone ever tries to shut down this thread, even me, then you have to get him by the nuts.

#910 1 year ago

can't wait to see more. Will have to stop back by when I am in town for work when you get more added! Thanks again for letting me stop and play it.

2 months later
    #911 1 year ago

Things are happening again. I swapped out the PC for a more powerful one to try to fix issues I thought I was having with a lot of display stuff going on at once. Turned out to be a code bug — but it boots way faster, is more reliable, and everything is running smooooth so I’m still happy I upgraded.

Added a 2nd spinner -
    24579A38-F4D8-4B9B-A7A4-BBA07B104EC5 (resized).jpeg24579A38-F4D8-4B9B-A7A4-BBA07B104EC5 (resized).jpeg

Got some decals I need to finish up for those and something to try on the targets.

Squashed a few bugs and tweaked some things, then been working on hurryups and getting combos coded. Problem is I’m terrible with scope creep and keep thinking of more cool things to add to my to do list always seems to get longer. It’s also insane how long it can take though just to get a simple hurryup done - with the graphics editing and tweaking, sfx and voice callouts editing and coding, lights, points, and 2 displays. I’m always getting better with MPF but it’s still a time suck tweaking and testing to execute the vision.

I figure I have 7 months till the next show, and I’m aiming to have the lower playfield working and some/ most main modes coded by then. Artwork pushed till last. I’ll do another video at some point in dec or January probably .. as otherwise I’ve not got much to share and a wall of words isn’t too interesting.. just mostly wanted to share that it’s out of hibernation

1 week later
    #912 1 year ago

Got a message today -- some of you have nominated me for TWIPY award eligibility apparently! That is pretty sweet, definitely appreciate it! Not that I would win, but I am a little torn as to submit this year or wait for next and hope to be voted in then with more modes and content completed. Anyone have thoughts on that? May as well throw my ticket in the hat this year probably..

As long as I'm here, I'll share some of the content I've been working on in a few video shorts. First two are hurryups.. Ramp combos start a hurryup on the tyler or durden targets -- every 3rd will start a double hurryup with both targets.
    Tyler:

Double:

Just finished the franchise city graphics for collecting cities --
    Main LCD:

Mini LCD:

And here's graphics for collection of the MAYHEM targets. These initialize the homework assignments, and at the moment they are awarding a mystery as well.

Annnd.. I think I recorded these in the wrong orientation lol. Too late now, sorry!
    Happy Holidays!

#913 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I am a little torn as to submit this year or wait for next and hope to be voted in then with more modes and content completed. Anyone have thoughts on that? May as well throw my ticket in the hat this year probably

I don't think homebrews win based on how many modes you have done. It's all about theme and innovation in toys (which you have). I'd be curious which games you're up against this year (most likely ELF and treehouse).

#914 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Got a message today -- some of you have nominated me for TWIPY award eligibility apparently! That is pretty sweet, definitely appreciate it! Not that I would win, but I am a little torn as to submit this year or wait for next and hope to be voted in then with more modes and content completed. Anyone have thoughts on that? May as well throw my ticket in the hat this year probably..

I received the same message today for League of Legends and will probably just go for it this year. It would be awesome to have you in as well! My assumption is it'll probably be Elf and Dukes of Hazzard in the running as well.

Would this also mean we could hang out at TPF!?

#915 1 year ago

Yeah for sure I think ELF will be in the running, Dukes makes sense, and that's awesome you've got League in as well Octomodz !! Tough competition!! Actually not sure the connection with TPF tho - is that where they give out the awards? I wasn't planning on it as of right now.. but it's not off the table either. If an offer stands to get FC down there safely closer to that date, I could be persuaded. We'll see though..

#916 1 year ago

I am pretty sure that is where they do the awards for it. I could be wrong, but believe that’s when.

#917 1 year ago

Graphics and animations looking awesome. Saw SLC in there!!

#918 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Graphics and animations looking awesome. Saw SLC in there!!

Thanks! Doing what I can with MPF.. I downloaded blender the other day, and quickly realized that some visions are gonna be best left either until the end or trashed.. I can see that animation is a lot of work - definitely can see how someone would be dedicated to it, or even a team in the case of stuff like JJP does. Don't have time to get too crazy.

#920 1 year ago

Amazing progress!!! Love the screen animations and sounds....loving the background music choices. Awesome.

1 week later
    #921 1 year ago

Somehow hours and hours of work to get this working.. just need to add points and some mini lcd animations and can move on I think.

#922 1 year ago

General question for anyone following... opinions on this. Toying with idea of having tyler and other characters "pop up" on screen the first time you hit certain shots in your game, with an instruction. I thought it would be kind of interesting to due this speech bubble idea, and probably in conjuction with it being read in audio as well. You'll only see each of these instructions once per game but perhaps i might even leave out the audio so it doesn't get annoying if you are playing a lot of games. Anyway, wondering about just popping this up over the score screen, with the video playing behind it vs having it all on slides that would come up for 3 or 4 seconds and completely cover all the scores and background video. Any thoughts (even if negative) ?? --Edit almost forgot -- one version is a typical straighter edged speech bubble and another is with this torn edge.. I wasn't sure with the torn edges if it even looks like a cartoon speech bubble anymore. perhaps could just make it look more like a piece of paper like tyler might hand out with a homework assignment?

speech bubble (resized).JPGspeech bubble (resized).JPG

#923 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

General question for anyone following... opinions on this. Toying with idea of having tyler and other characters "pop up" on screen the first time you hit certain shots in your game, with an instruction. I thought it would be kind of interesting to due this speech bubble idea, and probably in conjuction with it being read in audio as well. You'll only see each of these instructions once per game but perhaps i might even leave out the audio so it doesn't get annoying if you are playing a lot of games. Anyway, wondering about just popping this up over the score screen, with the video playing behind it vs having it all on slides that would come up for 3 or 4 seconds and completely cover all the scores and background video. Any thoughts (even if negative) ?? --Edit almost forgot -- one version is a typical straighter edged speech bubble and another is with this torn edge.. I wasn't sure with the torn edges if it even looks like a cartoon speech bubble anymore. perhaps could just make it look more like a piece of paper like tyler might hand out with a homework assignment?
    [quoted image]

I think the paper bubble works.

#924 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

[quoted image]

Maybe throw the notebook horizontal lines in ? Seems Tyler should be giving all the instructions ,who else were you thinking of ?

#925 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Maybe throw the notebook horizontal lines in ? Seems Tyler should be giving all the instructions ,who else were you thinking of ?

like so

B2745A77-2E8C-4705-A060-0618F009E8E1 (resized).pngB2745A77-2E8C-4705-A060-0618F009E8E1 (resized).png
    #926 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

[quoted image]

dont like.. reminds me of 8-bit video game dialogue and doesnt mesh well with the rest of the animation which looks modern.

i say you keep it simple. maybe find some maroon material to make a partial sleeve (so you're not buying a whole coat) so it looks like tyler's arm and record yourself handing over a piece of paper with the task and just have that short clip play.

#927 1 year ago

I like the concept, but don't like the font and paper scrap. Is it possible to get it too look more like an actual note from the film itself?

ex

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Maybe there is a way you can work in the Warning text screen somewhere

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Also Im curious, do you have a Starbucks cup hidden anywhere in this game? Fun fact there is a starbucks cup in every scene of the movie.

#928 1 year ago

Thanks for all the feedback, esp toyotaboy -- I'll be the first to admit that overall coherency probably isn't a strong suit for me so it's good to hear that. Hadn't considered actually recording video myself, I'll mull that over. Alternatively, combining ideas from the 3 of you.. could have a couple versions depending on the instruction. Lined notebook paper with the instruction, being handed over or I can use that image above with Marla's # and just cut around it so it appears to come into the screen and then exit back out from the side. I am doing this right now with tylers hand and briefcase at the beginning of each ball, showing which player is up and it seems to work.. Maybe these can hold off a bit while I decide tho.. I only need them possibly for TPF but definitely for NW show so I have till June probably to implement.

TreyBo69 -- I like that warning note.. just havn't figured a good way to incorporate it as it's so much text to read. maybe I will throw it on the miniLCD during attract for fun, so it takes a little effort to read and is more subtle. I actually didn't know about the starbucks cups. I will def have to do something with that..

#929 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I like that warning note.. just havn't figured a good way to incorporate it as it's so much text to read. maybe I will throw it on the miniLCD during attract for fun, so it takes a little effort to read and is more subtle. I actually didn't know about the starbucks cups. I will def have to do something with that..

What is your tilt screen? Maybe the tilt warning can be a version of that warning screen. It can flash by really fast and people watching someone else play can try to quickly read it (I bet that will be popular at a show). You can change it so it has some pinball text in there. Maybe the tilt animation can be a Starbucks cup being knocked over

Also maybe have a single frame of a naked dude just randomly show up for a split second on the screen. Like super low percentage random chance, did I just see that? It's another very random reference to the film that most won't notice, but those who know will know.

#930 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Hadn't considered actually recording video myself, I'll mull that over.

For the sake of a video clip, 4" of a 3d printed sleeve might do the trick

3d_printed_tyler_leather_jacket (resized).png3d_printed_tyler_leather_jacket (resized).png
    #931 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Any thoughts (even if negative) ??

My only real thought, because it's your game and you should do what you like, is what you have isn't the most legible.

If your goal is to give the player a little hint, like "shoot porch target to qualify scenes" you need them to glance up from the playfield—with the ball in play and probably bouncing somewhere dangerous since they just hit a target—and process information quickly.

Might be helpful to have a slab font that's easy to scan for that kind of stuff. Just a quickie example:

fight-club-brad-pitt.giffight-club-brad-pitt.gif

#932 1 year ago

I’m doing something more similar to the bold letters on your last post. Trying to keep simple but make it look professional.

What are you using to edit the videos?

#933 1 year ago

Not to pile on but I think something like what Auric posted would be best. As clear and east to read as possible especially because a lot of times you’re just able to make a quick glance.

#934 1 year ago

Give this dude a call .Can’t be that much to act/voice for say 3 hours .Start a Go Fund Me here and I’ll pitch in or……get the neighborhood gals book club to come by with fistfuls of saw bucks and I’m sure it will cover it .Cmon man , I just want to get a idea in this pin somehow , I’m striking out left and right Put me in coach ,I’m ready !!

09BA6631-C276-4F1A-8491-054840B6B6A0 (resized).png09BA6631-C276-4F1A-8491-054840B6B6A0 (resized).pngAAB60EF0-B15A-4A06-88FE-4FBF69074903 (resized).pngAAB60EF0-B15A-4A06-88FE-4FBF69074903 (resized).png
    #935 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also Im curious, do you have a Starbucks cup hidden anywhere in this game? Fun fact there is a starbucks cup in every scene of the movie.

Ok you HAVE to put starbucks in the game.. In fact I think you need a literal starbucks cup on the playfield somewhere

#936 1 year ago

Remember to vote in January

TWIPY voting (resized).pngTWIPY voting (resized).png
    #937 1 year ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ok you HAVE to put starbucks in the game.. In fact I think you need a literal starbucks cup on the playfield somewhere

The pingulp should be a Starbucks cup lookalike

#938 1 year ago
    Quoted from Morgoth00:

holy shit that's genius. I designed a 3d printed cup holder for rick and morty.
    Mike: PM me if you like this idea, totally up for modeling it up

#939 1 year ago
    Quoted from Morgoth00:

Excellent idea!

#940 1 year ago

hahaha - love the idea of the starbucks cup on the playfield. I looked around and just am not seeing where it would go right now unfortunately.. but a mini-one for sure would fit. Pming you now Toyotaboy about that pingulp - that would be amazing!

What I CAN do with the real starbucks cup, is use it for an animation for insomnia multiball.. I am thinking the cup appears - logo side - and rotates 180 and "insomnia multiball" text appears on back side. I was going to ask someone on Fivr to animate this but realized I probably can do a decent job with a real cup and a quick clip.. we'll see.

Finally - voting has opened, so another plug to get your vote in for your top choices for Best homebrew

https://twipys.com/2022-twipys-ballot/

#941 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

hahaha - love the idea of the starbucks cup on the playfield. I looked around and just am not seeing where it would go right now unfortunately.. but a mini-one for sure would fit. Pming you now Toyotaboy about that pingulp - that would be amazing!

I'll work on the pingulp.

The upper playfield is ripe for putting a mini starbucks cup. Let me know if you want a separate model for that (I'll add a boss to re-use a post thread to mount)
    starbucks_playfield (resized).pngstarbucks_playfield (resized).png

#942 1 year ago

minibuck pop bumper toy.. need to work on the logo detail.

starbucks_cap (resized).pngstarbucks_cap (resized).png
    #943 1 year ago

Pingulp
    stars_on_buck_gulp (resized).pngstars_on_buck_gulp (resized).png

star_cup_bottom (resized).pngstar_cup_bottom (resized).png
    2 weeks later
    #944 1 year ago

Cup holder finished, sending to Mike tomorrow.

starbucks cup holder 3d print (resized).jpgstarbucks cup holder 3d print (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #945 1 year ago

Joes the man!!! Easy install, looks awesome!

C8C9FE75-ACA4-4028-B62C-853EB2C471C2 (resized).jpegC8C9FE75-ACA4-4028-B62C-853EB2C471C2 (resized).jpeg
    #947 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Joes the man!!! Easy install, looks awesome! [quoted image]

“Planet Starbucks…”

#948 1 year ago

Whelp.. it ain’t pretty but I proved to myself that welding new wire forms is possible. This is my first attempt. The end holes are too big, and will go with a less obstructive design for the final version to be plated.

This was partially also to test ball feeds that stop at the flipper to give a better chance at hitting the skill shots. Seems to be better.

Starbucks mini cup also featured- temp location at the moment while I get a label print done

140C7A92-BDB2-45F1-AB78-4B3D50EE2542 (resized).jpeg140C7A92-BDB2-45F1-AB78-4B3D50EE2542 (resized).jpegCE405BEA-4D90-4C0A-8EF9-3381EE958AD9 (resized).jpegCE405BEA-4D90-4C0A-8EF9-3381EE958AD9 (resized).jpeg
    #949 1 year ago

Wow! That’s crazy but absolutely awesome!
    If you get good you should start making money replacing plastic ramp sets!

#950 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Whelp.. it ain’t pretty but I proved to myself that welding new wire forms is possible. This is my first attempt. The end holes are too big, and will go with a less obstructive design for the final version to be plated.
    This was partially also to test ball feeds that stop at the flipper to give a better chance at hitting the skill shots. Seems to be better.
    Starbucks mini cup also featured- temp location at the moment while I get a label print done
    [quoted image][quoted image]

If I can help you in anyway feel free to reach out.
    I use a 19mm socket for the drop hole side and that seems to be the sweet spot diameter wise for drop holes. The top rail needs to be staggered towards the rail just a little bit. If its even or over lapping rearward you will get kickbacks.
    The stagger on upper rail affects the drop alot. You want the upper rail to knock the ball downward when it strikes the ball over stopping its momentum.
    The gap spacing between them also affects the ball drop. About a 1/2 inch is where I start and then you can fine tune them on the game raising or lower the u part of the upper rail.
    The acdc wireform picture shows 19mm hole and 19mm upper rail and stagger.
    8D1ACA0A-5C84-47FC-AF09-133DA037B842 (resized).jpeg8D1ACA0A-5C84-47FC-AF09-133DA037B842 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,011 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-first-rule-is-fight-club-homebrew-build/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.