Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,011 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 167 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

405069973_7150533634989700_9144205483888789224_n (resized).jpg
    404993735_7150533524989711_5239683263420208945_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5420 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-5237 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5238 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5074 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5076 (resized).jpg
    church_real (resized).png
    church (resized).png
    There are 1,011 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 21.
    #601 2 years ago

I assume when you're done with this, in order to keep dust off the glass you're going to cover it with a duvet.

#602 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobwiley:

I haven't had a chance to look at your stuff in detail for the machine in awhile, and it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, but here's some thoughts/ideas:
    Apron cards: one of em should be Rules, with only two rules. Don't tell anyone about...
    I like the side art with the soap.
    Robert Paulson should be the default grand champion high score name or something like that
    There's a cool 8-bit version of "where is my mind" that would sound great during game play
    A cool mode would be where one of your balls causes havoc on your game, like it goes into a ball lock, then machine goes into a quick sleep/shut down/dark then lights up and you start playing again, but soon realize all the targets you are hitting are undoing the bonuses you built up on the previous ball.

haha, I like the apron card idea. In fact, I think that could work really well if I can convince ralph wiggum to custom make me a set of lenticular cards so I could show that on one side of a card, and the ruleset when viewed from the other angle. The other card could be tyler one way and the narrator the other.

The robert paulson default idea was mentioned before, so great minds think alike I guess! It will happen, I like it. The other thought was to have that playing behind the HS music "his name was robert paulson, his name was..."

I'll check out that 8-bit version. I may use it for the HS music. Already ripped and edited the real version to play after you beat the finale...

Undoing bonuses and progress hahhaha that's brutal. Good idea, that's fun. Game may already be too tough to ever beat though.. we'll see. Hopefully the difficulty settings at the beginning help with that.

#603 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I assume when you're done with this, in order to keep dust off the glass you're going to cover it with a duvet.

why do guys like you and me know what a duvet is?

#604 2 years ago

There's a bit in the movie at 37:50 where they're knee deep in rain water in the basement turning off the power and the breaker box sparks, that could be a mode where only flashers are on going crazy and flipper power fluctuating.

Also the dvd had a couple short promo bits in the extras that could play in attract mode...

#605 2 years ago

Do you have a current video of where things are at? Neat project!

#606 2 years ago

Haha love those promo vids, can’t believe I haven’t seen them! Great idea about attract mode! I like the basement idea as well - maybe a bonus mode

Quoted from alexanr1:

Do you have a current video of where things are at? Neat project!

I have one from a few months ago that’s posted above a bit. I think it’s missing the added random music track selector at each ball and the Ikea frenzy mode. After that I got to locking a ball to start a ‘real’ mode and took a break. Cab and head and art work lately. Translite will get test printed soon, and once I paint the cab probably back to coding.

#607 2 years ago

Left side lighted speaker cover prototype. I don’t have power hooked up to them yet, and need to adjust the outline to fit but looking thru the window, I think this will light up reasonably well. Right side is Tyler, getting printed soon.

F02AF33A-FE71-4751-80BA-9EF80F799332 (resized).jpegF02AF33A-FE71-4751-80BA-9EF80F799332 (resized).jpeg
    #608 2 years ago

Don’t force the head if it doesn’t sit well .Coukd always default to a shooter knob .A very expensive shooter knob I’m guessing .

#609 2 years ago

Looks incredible ,can’t wait for the next play on video .

#610 2 years ago

Thanks kkoss! Working on getting there.. speaker insert designs are complete, getting sent out tomorrow. Translite test print ordered, and the head decal test prints are back. I want to compare these against a vectored version I need to still make. I think they’re still decent though

6BEF4BFF-CACA-4A3A-A95F-222B68C57ED5 (resized).jpeg6BEF4BFF-CACA-4A3A-A95F-222B68C57ED5 (resized).jpeg
    #611 2 years ago

Those look great, as long as they flow with the lower cab decal you're good to go

#612 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

haha, I like the apron card idea. In fact, I think that could work really well if I can convince ralph wiggum to custom make me a set of lenticular cards so I could show that on one side of a card, and the ruleset when viewed from the other angle. The other card could be tyler one way and the narrator the other.

Cool project.... Let me know how I can help!

#613 2 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Those look great, as long as they flow with the lower cab decal you're good to go

That’s the hope I haven’t fleshed out the lower yet, I don’t want to go too complicated.. probably a fight scene from the movie and maybe fit bob and Marla in if possible.

Kind of exploring the possibility of vectoring the art with a lower number of passes so the color layers are distinct and it gives it an ‘arty’ hand drawn sort of look. Original resolution matters less if you go that route. But I have to decide because that dictates all the art

#614 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Cool project.... Let me know how I can help!

Much appreciated!! Sent ya a PM.

I am messing with EL paper too much, but it’s just cool stuff. Oh, printed Tyler as well and tested the speaker light inserts.

4006C679-1FCF-40AC-AC95-CA00ECDD940C (resized).jpeg4006C679-1FCF-40AC-AC95-CA00ECDD940C (resized).jpegAFE49323-F9AD-4460-A304-2A3E0CE54811 (resized).jpegAFE49323-F9AD-4460-A304-2A3E0CE54811 (resized).jpeg7096371A-6522-49BC-BAA0-9BE93B58FA53 (resized).jpeg7096371A-6522-49BC-BAA0-9BE93B58FA53 (resized).jpegA78BACC6-BED9-48E0-808D-F70B5508E2F5 (resized).jpegA78BACC6-BED9-48E0-808D-F70B5508E2F5 (resized).jpeg
    #615 2 years ago

they look great!

#616 2 years ago

Another attract mode possibility, after the traditional home video copyright warning at the beginning of Fight Club (1999), another warning briefly flashes up - from Tyler Durden...
    C9raXAuW0AAuCuq (resized).jpgC9raXAuW0AAuCuq (resized).jpg

#617 2 years ago

Impressive work. I've only seen this movie one time. I should revisit.

#618 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Much appreciated!! Sent ya a PM.
    I am messing with EL paper too much, but it’s just cool stuff. Oh, printed Tyler as well and tested the speaker light inserts. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm not familiar with the speaker panel you are using, but if you can...putting the speaker grills BEHIND the lights will make the designs look better I'm expecting. I find this mainly to be helpful with designs that allow light to actually shine THROUGH part of the design (usually an etched part), but even with a black design that is not allowing the light to shine though any of it should benefit. Especially with ones with the fine details that those two have. A lot of that detail is getting lost in the grill and speaker visibility in the back.

Having said that...I can also see not having the speaker grill in front of the lights as being distracting (since it is a clearly visible ring of LEDs in a square speaker hole). What may help is to add an ADDITIONAL grill or grill like material BEHIND the lights and also keep the grill you have in front of the lights. I would suggest hitting up the craft store and maybe try some plastic canvas or possibly some nylon netting to make the back of the lit area look a bit more uniform and hide the speakers a bit. Thinking about it more, if I were trying either of these craft items I believe I would try white / clear if you are wanting to have them in front of the lights or black if you are adding them behind the lights, while also keeping the original grills in the mix somewhere.

If the speaker tweeters protruding is an issue....you would probably need to try the nylon netting or plastic canvas in the back (just in front of the speaker) as it's flexible and not as stiff as I am expecting the original grills are. Of course you could possibly ditch the original grill and add the nylon netting or plastic canvas in the colors of your choice to both the front (to diffuse the light) and back (to hid the speakers visual clutter) of the lit area. I think having a white (something) directly behind the black designs would also help things visually even when the game is turned off. As it's not a black design directly in front of a black grill.

In any case...the designs look nice, but I'm expecting they could be made to look much better with some experimentation and some small changes. The crafty stuff is cheap to experiment with and usually pretty easy to get ahold of for most people.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

#619 2 years ago

Would you please sell me this when you are ready to do another custom. And let that custom be Tropic Thunder and sell me that too?

#620 2 years ago

This is so fricking cool and detailed and well thought out and executed. Can't wait to see you bring it home!

#621 2 years ago

Thanks guys! Appreciate the positive words and all the great ideas!

miracleman -- I actually just saw that the other day when I was looking for something, that is a perfect idea for part of the attract. OR -- during my 5 second intro light/sound show after you press start (it plays part of the 20th century fox THX sound and then a quote).

DugFreez -- fantastic and detailed thoughts! I agree that diffusion and or removing the grill or placing the insert behind would def. make some improvements. I will save your post to return to a bit later though, I kinda am anxious to get onto finishing the cabinet painting and maybe back to coding again or building. I originally wanted to mount them behind the grills, but the damn things are secured with PAL nuts which I HATE trying to get off the posts. Last time I finally just clipped them all and replaced. It makes for better mounting.. but then I have to redesign the outside of them to match up.. more work I am gonna put off for now

The_Pump_House -- That's some high praise man, thank you. I wish I had energy to make more than 1. If/when I finish this though, I know people say a game is "bolted to the floor" and then turn around and sell it a year later but this one.. I think this one may really be bolted to the floor, I dunno. Then again everyone says everything is for sale at the right price (just don't tell 20th century fox)

#622 2 years ago

Well here’s why you don’t print translites on photo paper, lol .. pretty washed out. But it looks ok enough non-lit .. I ordered an actual translite that is laser printed, excited to see how that turns out.

B0A07904-0596-46FD-B56A-5793ADC04262 (resized).jpegB0A07904-0596-46FD-B56A-5793ADC04262 (resized).jpegD8577FC2-E6A8-4BC8-97BE-831B9177DEF9 (resized).jpegD8577FC2-E6A8-4BC8-97BE-831B9177DEF9 (resized).jpeg
    #623 2 years ago

Look forward to seeing your translite. If it comes out good can you share where you got it done. I was going to try gamegraphixs company. Great job on everything!

#624 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-better-custom-trans-for-your-machines#post-6324720

I tried this out. They look amazing - but with my source images only at 96dpi mine may not look quite as good

#625 2 years ago
    Quoted from Loganpinball:

Look forward to seeing your translite. If it comes out good can you share where you got it done. I was going to try gamegraphixs company. Great job on everything!

yea, you want to search "backlit poster". bannerbuzz is pretty affordable.

#626 2 years ago

As soon as art hits the full cabinet this thread goes to the moon

#629 2 years ago

Right? I hate trying to figure out what someone is trying to say. Just say it already.

Btw@Mbecker great job my man. Watched FC last night. Can't wait to see the final product or cwtstfp...

#630 2 years ago

Haha the Goy lost me too. Thanks dirkdiggler ! I fired it up today after a long hiatus and forgot a lot of the stuff I had added before I stopped working on code. Quite enough to shoot another video soon.

Been sanding the cab forever.. today finally some paint going on

06F38E9B-D0D2-49B0-AF76-1464ED8D58B1 (resized).jpeg06F38E9B-D0D2-49B0-AF76-1464ED8D58B1 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #631 2 years ago

Ok, got this translite print back on the correct material. Much better diffusion- and the plan is to use led strips for lighting , which will be further away from the print so overall I think it should look pretty good on the finished game.

Unfortunately I think the narrator came out too strong, I gotta take down the brightness on that.

2FB0680F-A23F-40DD-B841-F2D48DDEA2D8 (resized).jpeg2FB0680F-A23F-40DD-B841-F2D48DDEA2D8 (resized).jpeg
    #632 2 years ago

Cab progress and had the speaker inserts lasered in Al.

2C333482-4CCF-4DC8-B7B4-FA267021917E (resized).jpeg2C333482-4CCF-4DC8-B7B4-FA267021917E (resized).jpeg827103E9-65A3-4010-AD38-57BF1EF2C894 (resized).jpeg827103E9-65A3-4010-AD38-57BF1EF2C894 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #633 2 years ago

I’ve got head decals printed to apply now. Trying to match up cab art. I think my best options came out to these—

1 option is the top group with the house zoomed out 1/side and closer in on other.

The 2nd option is closeup house and lous on opposite.

I’m limited a bit because I can’t reverse anything with text..

If I go with the house theme on sides, lous will go on the coin door. If I go with lous on a side, I’ll have to do something else on coin door .. thoughts??

B47B2A8C-0CA3-40A9-97F9-C4D57DB22EE5 (resized).jpegB47B2A8C-0CA3-40A9-97F9-C4D57DB22EE5 (resized).jpegF2DDE4AD-5184-41C1-9659-1F8B70CB8F05 (resized).jpegF2DDE4AD-5184-41C1-9659-1F8B70CB8F05 (resized).jpeg291B135D-BF00-409B-B666-AA68F889629B (resized).jpeg291B135D-BF00-409B-B666-AA68F889629B (resized).jpegA00124CC-399B-40E5-B593-323000E8B5E3 (resized).jpegA00124CC-399B-40E5-B593-323000E8B5E3 (resized).jpeg
    #634 2 years ago

I really like the Paper St sign for one of the sides, but I’m confused why you can’t have lous on the other side.

#635 2 years ago

hmmm...I like paper street lower cab (just flip/mirror the image, then flip words in the paper street sign), the others don't really thrill me.
    Hindsight 20/20 you could enlarge Brad and Ed to each fill a side of the head, and move soap bar/dish to fill each lower cab side.
    If you made those changes you could do this for the front...
    (I mirror imaged Ed so he's facing in)
    Adjust for leg/coindoor, plunger should go through Ed's head, white flashing bulb behind Brad's head/start button.
    EASY PEEZY
    fc front mockup (resized).jpgfc front mockup (resized).jpg

#636 2 years ago

Paper street decal looks awsome

#637 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I really like the Paper St sign for one of the sides, but I’m confused why you can’t have lous on the other side.

That's what I'd like to ideally, but if I reverse the image "lous" gets reversed while if I keep it the same, the whole sign gets cut-off becuase of the cabinet top angle cut and it loses a lot w/out the sign I think.

thanks miracleman -- I had actually been toying with having them on the front like that, but hadn't gone to the effort of cutting them out. I do like the way that looks, with the text as well.. I'd been wanting some text somewhere. Only hesitant to duplicate Brad and Ed's heads as I have them on the head sides already.. but that does look cool.. I'll have to keep mess'n around.

thanks AMSNL -- i really like that one too

#638 2 years ago

The paper st got my attention at first sight, looks awesome. And it breaks up the dark graphics a little.
    Are you maybe planning on putting graphic on the inside of the cabinet as well. That would look awesome as well

#639 2 years ago

copy/paste/skew/clone

paper street (resized).jpgpaper street (resized).jpg
    #640 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

The paper st got my attention at first sight, looks awesome. And it breaks up the dark graphics a little.
    Are you maybe planning on putting graphic on the inside of the cabinet as well. That would look awesome as well

Hadn't even thought of that - could look cool, that's true. I've had black mirror blades for this project for like 2 years though I think I'm going to try using. If I end up not liking them though, I'll explore that graphic idea a bit more

Quoted from miracleman:

copy/paste/skew/clone
    [quoted image]

huh. ok, that looks pretty good I have to say. Thank you!!

#641 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I’ve got head decals printed to apply now. Trying to match up cab art. I think my best options came out to these—
    1 option is the top group with the house zoomed out 1/side and closer in on other.
    The 2nd option is closeup house and lous on opposite.
    I’m limited a bit because I can’t reverse anything with text..
    If I go with the house theme on sides, lous will go on the coin door. If I go with lous on a side, I’ll have to do something else on coin door .. thoughts?? [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Top set looks great. The paper street is perfect.

#642 2 years ago

OK.. I think I am happy enough with the cab side mockups to continue.. Paper street on left and lous fight on right. For the coin door, I'm messing with some options based on input here. Either lous background or the skyscrapers that matches the translite, with tyler and the narrator.
    opt1 (resized).JPGopt1 (resized).JPG

Any thoughts on these? I tried some different stuff with the wording.. I dunno, art's tough - you can go in so many directions.
    opt2 (resized).JPGopt2 (resized).JPG
    cab (resized).JPGcab (resized).JPG

#643 2 years ago

Looking at these posted, I think the pink bubbled text may be too much, i like the 2-toned one better. 3rd option below? (I realize mayhem is missing a period, just lazy to add it and it's getting late.)
    opt3 (resized).JPGopt3 (resized).JPG

#644 2 years ago

The pink bubble text, as you call it, looks cool, but in a way sort of makes the text (at least from afar in looking at your picture) look a bit sun-faded right off of the bat, so you're probably right in starting with the two-tone choice.
    I I do like your side panel choices, however, and this is strictly for consideration as I'm really digging where all of this is going, but... it's a very dark somewhat monotone picture. Cool, but not visually popping. It's almost monotone to the degree of a mildly colored black and white picture (It is a picture taking at night). True, it is a rather dark film from a lighting perspective, although given that this is a one and done project, you may want to think about finding some alternate scenes (for your consideration) where there is some heavier contrast between lights and darks and spots of bright color. My concern is that in any kind of a shadowed environment, it's going to be really hard to see any detail on those pictures unless it was on a spotlighted platform, which is unlikely where this thing is going to be hanging out. Maybe it would be feasible in the Photoshop to increase the saturation on the current pictures you have? Anyway, just creatively thinking out loud

#645 2 years ago

Are the words crucial? maybe it would look great without the words too. or maybe another fightclub logo?

#646 2 years ago

Been watching this project since the beginning and I couldn’t be more impressed. A+ on everything. Home brew is definitely a labor of love. Building a whole machine soap to nuts is such a massive undertaking. Great work.

#647 2 years ago

I see what you did

That’s very clever

#648 2 years ago

In Tyler we trust. Same location as your text now is a thought.

#649 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

OK.. I think I am happy enough with the cab side mockups to continue.. Paper street on left and lous fight on right. For the coin door, I'm messing with some options based on input here. Either lous background or the skyscrapers that matches the translite, with tyler and the narrator.
    [quoted image]
    Any thoughts on these? I tried some different stuff with the wording.. I dunno, art's tough - you can go in so many directions.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Upper left skyscrapers coin door.
    Paper St. cabinet.

Fantastic FC home-brew!
    Steveo

#650 2 years ago

Good feedback, thanks!

I don't think I'm going to make everyone happy though haha. I know the images are kinda dark - I can try and mess with saturation. I've tried lightening them some actually from where they were. Partially I have a limitation in available images as I'm using existing screencaps from the movie. On the other hand - I did want to go darker just becuase as mentioned, the film is generally kinda dark. But also for consideration is that the only place people are really going to see the art at all is at a show, for 3 days, once a year (assuming it comes multiple years). My game room is small, so games are close together.

I'm not sold on the text.. option w/out it and lighter background and one with the in tyler we trust. Could be pink rather than gold.
    opt4 (resized).JPGopt4 (resized).JPG

There are 1,011 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-first-rule-is-fight-club-homebrew-build/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.