Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,011 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 167 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

405069973_7150533634989700_9144205483888789224_n (resized).jpg
    404993735_7150533524989711_5239683263420208945_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5420 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-5237 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5238 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5074 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5076 (resized).jpg
    church_real (resized).png
    church (resized).png
    There are 1,011 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 21.
    #551 3 years ago
    Quoted from Loganpinball:

Great progress. I am on the wrong coast I would like to see the machine when done in person. Are you porting into a cabinet as is? Or are you making another painted playfield to swap over?

up for debate still a bit...but I am guessing that this will end up in the cabinet for next June at the NW show as-is. I have too much work still to get art done, printed, and get the playfield CAD model done as well I think. Unless I win the lottery and can quit my job.

#552 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Unless I win the lottery and can quit my job.

If that happens, you can start a pinball company and produce this for sale. I’ll buy one!

#553 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

If that happens, you can start a pinball company and produce this for sale. I’ll buy one!

Sign me up

#554 3 years ago

I got to play this last week. It's really starting to come together with some nice refinements starting to make it feel "real", like welcome audio when you press start, and the extra audio effects and music. The building lighting up when shooting through it is a fun and unique touch.

I also got some insights on more stuff to come. I can't believe how much time Mike is putting into this, truly a labor of love. I guess that's the beauty of homebrew, can go as over-the-top as you want without worrying about practicality constraints. This is really a fantasy build. I'd hate to know the BOM when this thing is done. I don't think any of you could afford this, ha.

#555 3 years ago

Thanks HighVoltage i appreciate the nice words! Although to be fair, he left out mentioning all the ball traps and code bugs that became apparent quickly

I finished up the house model this weekend and printed a sample roof which fit well. Working on putting in a few separate attract shows which will cycle thru and started looking at setting up separate feeds to the two LCDs. This took some finagling which display settings but I think it will work with my computer monitor duplicated on the main lcd and the mini lcd is an extension of the desktop. We’ll see..

#556 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

the pain of going thru code removing all old references.

I don’t do much coding anymore, but when I did, I’d use a simple “find”, or “find and replace” when I changed something and needed to find all instances of it. It seems super obvious, but it saved my ass more than once.

Project looks great. Awesome work.

#557 3 years ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

I don’t do much coding anymore, but when I did, I’d use a simple “find”, or “find and replace” when I changed something and needed to find all instances of it. It seems super obvious, but it saved my ass more than once.
    Project looks great. Awesome work.

When I program my #1 go to output word in debugging is the F word.

My code on various projects are littered with commented out F! Print lines

#558 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

When I program my #1 go to output word in debugging is the F word.
    My code on various projects are littered with commented out F! Print lines

Ha!

I need to doublecheck in sublime.. I use the find all the time but find and replace would be really nice.. just not sure it's there and I dont want to shuffle the code around to word or something and back just to do that because sublime keeps the formatting nice and clean.

#559 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Ha!
    I need to doublecheck in sublime.. I use the find all the time but find and replace would be really nice.. just not sure it's there and I dont want to shuffle the code around to word or something and back just to do that because sublime keeps the formatting nice and clean.

Haven't used sublime in a while, but it used to have that feature, so I am sure it does. CTRL+H. Standard Find and Replace shortcut should do the trick!

#560 3 years ago

Still working on display issues, it's hard to wrap ones head around displays vs screens vs windows and how to use slides and slide widgets to accomplish what you want to utilize 2 LCD's. Backup is always there to go back to a DMD for the main display though. Bit of update to the attract mode, I got a second light sweep show going. I was going to do several more and try to randomize but I think I'll hold off and maybe implement down the road, getting too distracted with more minor stuff.

#561 3 years ago
    remarkable (resized).jpgremarkable (resized).jpg
    #562 3 years ago

SO COOL man. Well done. Really love it all. The HUGE loop, the awesome kickback mech, the light shows. Feels a little Lebowski with the light shows, but in a good way. Hope I can play this some day.

1 month later
    #564 2 years ago

That's a quick way to open your email box up to five spam emails a day. Aliexpress, alibaba, aliyun ect.

#565 2 years ago

That's a quick way to open your email box up to five spam emails a day. Aliexpress, alibaba, aliyun ect.

Just make yourself a [email protected] and set it to auto forward.

When I used to have my own domain and email server, I’d put the website I was registering for as the prefix on the email and all the emails to my domain went to one place by default. Quickly figure out who sells your data and which accounts to cut loose

#566 2 years ago

If that is really what you get, wow. Very nice work by that guy.

I guess. I use the app and never had a problem with spam.

I wonder what you actually get though from that seller. Those are really detailed.

#567 2 years ago

I might just have to find out, just for fun

#568 2 years ago

Foreshadowing —

2B8962B1-11F9-4B9E-BCAE-0AA27BE17EB2 (resized).jpeg2B8962B1-11F9-4B9E-BCAE-0AA27BE17EB2 (resized).jpeg

Been working incrementally nearly every day, but most progress is on code so little to share of interest but in short:

I have an IKEA frenzy mode running that’s very similar to mamuska in TAF, as kind of a fun play on it to break up the darker humor a bit. Skillshot is working good, selectable shots at the beginning of Each ball and most awards from it working. Left kickback is now earned (1 kickback chance, accumulating) and you are only able to try to fire the kickback if you have them ‘in the bank’. Playfield multiplier is working, but light shows need finishing. Achievements towards finale progress are getting coded in, and about to get going on a scene mode. Not sure if I posted, but I also redid the music track system and have 15 or so shooter lane and main tracks implemented with random selection for each ball. Definitely adds some fun replay ability aspect for me.. I’m big on sounds and music.

I needed to do something physical so I’ve got the head sanded and painted, and something should be on the way from sendcutsend on Monday. Stay tuned.

#569 2 years ago

Messing with back glass ideas.

CA7CFC52-E4F3-454F-AD17-53FEB298A31B (resized).jpegCA7CFC52-E4F3-454F-AD17-53FEB298A31B (resized).jpeg
    #570 2 years ago

Not sure how deep your going with backglass, but I bought a I pad pro and I am using a program called procreate to make a translite for tna and discovery. It works great and is not too complicated to use. My painter pointed me towards it.

#571 2 years ago

I was thinking when you nudge the game the first warning could be one of the moaning sounds Marla makes when you see her and Tyler banging in the narrator’s dream and a double danger could be her saying “don’t worry, it’s not a threat to you” when Tyler Durden bumps the dresser and wiggles the dildo in Marlas room.
    And if you tilt out you could have the low noise shift and jack say “we have just lost cabin pressure” when he finds out the truth.

#572 2 years ago

Thanks for the the tip Loganpinball ! I don't know how deep I'm going either.. This concept art may be it, just vectorizing and adjusting blurs, opacities and lighting and such. The text needs work, which is something I'm just going to have to learn more about.

I like the tilt ideas as well, esp the "lost cabin pressure" one. I am also thinking of using quotes when the narrator is trying to defuse the bomb. Tyler says "I wouldn't do that. Not unless you know what you're doing." and "I TOLD you not to DO that!"

#573 2 years ago

More concepts for head. The colors don’t match, nor text.. just getting layout ideas.

403E67CC-4D76-4CB6-8AB2-78D6859F44B0 (resized).jpeg403E67CC-4D76-4CB6-8AB2-78D6859F44B0 (resized).jpeg8BB659E6-B3C1-4705-AC79-449FE1A24CA9 (resized).jpeg8BB659E6-B3C1-4705-AC79-449FE1A24CA9 (resized).jpeg
    #574 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Thanks for the the tip Loganpinball ! I don't know how deep I'm going either.. This concept art may be it, just vectorizing and adjusting blurs, opacities and lighting and such. The text needs work, which is something I'm just going to have to learn more about.
    I like the tilt ideas as well, esp the "lost cabin pressure" one. I am also thinking of using quotes when the narrator is trying to defuse the bomb. Tyler says "I wouldn't do that. Not unless you know what you're doing." and "I TOLD you not to DO that!"

Literally every line of dialogue in that movie is quotable. Almost like Lebowski.

#575 2 years ago

This came in today, 2 day shipping.. pretty quick!

Pretty happy with it, will paint red behind the blood splatters. Gotta drill and rivnut for the board and bus mounts.

6F8FB4DB-29E1-4E0C-9F78-3FDC11C0D908 (resized).jpeg6F8FB4DB-29E1-4E0C-9F78-3FDC11C0D908 (resized).jpeg
    #576 2 years ago

Wait, what? That's just for board mounting? You had that laser cut? You're really blowing the budget on this! You buy some bitcoin or something?

Or is that for mirrored backglass? But it's small... hhmm...

Red paint? Seeing as you have unlimited budget and time, maybe some multi-colored EL paper behind each of those would be suitably extravagant!

Pink EL paper would really make that font pop nicely!

That interior is nice, going to do the full cab like that? Won't be losing any parts in there!

#577 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Wait, what? That's just for board mounting? You had that laser cut? You're really blowing the budget on this! You buy some bitcoin or something?
    Or is that for mirrored backglass? But it's small... hhmm...
    Red paint? Seeing as you have unlimited budget and time, maybe some multi-colored EL paper behind each of those would be suitably extravagant!
    Pink EL paper would really give those fonts a proper pop though!
    That interior is nice, going to do the full cab like that? Won't be losing any parts in there!

Hahaha, I priced getting it cut vs just a blank and it wasn’t that much more. It was more fun to design it anyway. I actually was thinking about lighting, that would come on when the translite is removed. EL paper would be cool, I hadn’t thought of that. I think you’re on to something there!

The interior was going to be black.. but you’re starting to convince me to go pink. I already have black mirrored side blades around here fir this I think so the pink would just highlight that on the sides of the Pf.

#578 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Hahaha, I priced getting it cut vs just a blank and it wasn’t that much more. It was more fun to design it anyway. I actually was thinking about lighting, that would come on when the translite is removed. EL paper would be cool, I hadn’t thought of that. I think you’re on to something there!
    The interior was going to be black.. but you’re starting to convince me to go pink. I already have black mirrored side blades around here fir this I think so the pink would just highlight that on the sides of the Pf.

How about this...

Do some similar laser cuts in your mirror blades and then the pink cab interior will show through, or even better, pink EL behind the cutouts. Don't hide that cool shit in the backbox!

#579 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

How about this...
    Do some similar laser cuts in your mirror blades and then the pink cab interior will show through, or even better, pink EL behind the cutouts. Don't hide that cool shit in the backbox!

Hmmm interesting idea.. I’ll ponder that. Cab is a little ways off still, gotta finish stripping off the drac decals

#580 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

It will probably just be in the LE version.

#581 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

More concepts for head. The colors don’t match, nor text.. just getting layout ideas.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Both look cool, but I give a vote for the Fight Club bar of soap above the side panel character pics.
    Super cool!!!

#582 2 years ago
    Quoted from ChipScott:

Both look cool, but I give a vote for the Fight Club bar of soap above the side panel character pics.
    Super cool!!!

Appreciate the vote! I agree it looks more professional— it will challenge me to try and match it somehow on the translite

#583 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Appreciate the vote! I agree it looks more professional— it will challenge me to try and match it somehow on the translite

Just for consideration, and I know this seems like an unexpected suggestion, but how about just have the picture that you currently have of those two holding hands and looking over the city that's about to blow without any words at all.
    Between the Fight Club bar of soap on the side panels of the back box, and probably something saying Fight Club on the front panel by the coin door, that very well may be all you need. Just a thought. If people can't figure out that's a Fight Club pinball machine from that collection of information alone, then that's on them, haha.

#584 2 years ago

Yeah, I agree the fight club on sides and front is redundant.. and your suggestion Saves me a lot of work I may try that and the nice thing is, the translite is easily changed if need be.

#585 2 years ago

Shadow volunteered to do some fit testing. Seems to work. Still figuring out differences between this head style and the speaker panel so I can mount it. But looks like everything will fit.

Where you would see the wms logo — I am thinking laser cut either ‘fight club’ (since it will not be on the translite) or ‘in Tyler we trust’

Maybe some other good quotes or slogans though.. but those are my top choices right now

00C49832-7BEC-4A6A-BB69-A8011E49174C (resized).jpeg00C49832-7BEC-4A6A-BB69-A8011E49174C (resized).jpeg
    #586 2 years ago

I really like the look of a paper street soap card. It looks sharp. If this was my game I would squeeze this in somewhere. Your doing a great theme Sir and I look forward to seeing where you go artwise on playfield.

68FE6206-E398-4D54-B029-FED5B71DC5DD (resized).jpeg68FE6206-E398-4D54-B029-FED5B71DC5DD (resized).jpeg
    #587 2 years ago

I really like the look of a paper street soap card. It looks sharp. If this was my game I would squeeze this in somewhere. Your doing a great theme Sir and I look forward to seeing where you go artwise on playfield.
    [quoted image]

Would be a cool apron card...

#588 2 years ago

Ha! I just ran into that card today while looking for Tyler silhouettes to do speaker light grill cut-outs. I was thinking playfield art, but also considered the apron card.. yeah, that would be fun.

#589 2 years ago

HighVoltage gave me an idea with the EL paper.. behind the logo on the speaker panel. Just need to see about light bleed and maybe some way to control it around the edges.. possibly an additional clear acrylic bevel around the laser-cut metal that will pick up some light as well and illuminate around the edge.

I have 3 designs I will probably send in and choose my fav.. adding in a "paper street soap Co." with the other two.. just working on remaking the font.

Of course all this distracts from getting "real" work done, but it's fun. Sometimes you just gotta run with what's fun.

#590 2 years ago

Yeah, speaker panel's a nice place to use it! EL paper is flush and not very bright so there won't be bleed. Just do cut-out and EL paper, forget the acrylic.

Quoted from Mbecker:

Of course all this distracts from getting "real" work done, but it's fun. Sometimes you just gotta run with what's fun.

Careful, is it Jpop who said that? Ha...

Are you making sure to file patents on all this stuff?

#591 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Sometimes you just gotta run with what's fun.

You know I kind of agree though...

Pimping out Avatar with some EL? Time consuming...

Seeing @mbecker's reaction on seeing it, priceless...

Avatar-EL (resized).jpgAvatar-EL (resized).jpg

#592 2 years ago

It looks Fantastic on Avatar! I just powered up my white sheet behind the Williams logo — it looks great in the dark. In a well lit room, you can’t even tell it’s lit up though?

You’re def. right about skipping the acrylic. And probably about Jpop lol. I better get back to the Yaml files ASAP!

#593 2 years ago

Probably your sheet of EL is too big for the power supply, those things are cheap. You can cut it down to size, it will be brighter. Depending how big your cutout is, split the EL into two pieces and use two power supplies. Or maybe you can find a better power supply, I didn't look too thoroughly when I considered that option.

#594 2 years ago

[quoted image]

I never knew this movie was based in Delaware...

#595 2 years ago

Tried to get a translite glass cut at hardware store but they don’t do tempered.. rocking a $10 plexi sheet for now.

The Tyler head arrived but done shirts I got suckered in to buying. Head looks great. Not sure if it’ll fit anywhere logical yet. The shirts look oddly sized, I dunno about alibaba shirt sizing lol. Might fit once before they shrink in washing machine haha

306D27C9-7383-41D0-9E89-313013E938B3 (resized).jpeg306D27C9-7383-41D0-9E89-313013E938B3 (resized).jpeg75209533-2EBA-45E5-AD49-943F9F4028A9 (resized).jpeg75209533-2EBA-45E5-AD49-943F9F4028A9 (resized).jpeg924CE5CC-FB1D-4DC2-9BEC-41CD58E64D99 (resized).jpeg924CE5CC-FB1D-4DC2-9BEC-41CD58E64D99 (resized).jpeg
    #596 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Tried to get a translite glass cut at hardware store but they don’t do tempered.. rocking a $10 plexi sheet for now.

Any regular glass shop will cut what you need. Tell them it's for a pinball machine and you might get a cheaper price, people love talking about old pinballs they played. Mine would give me a free sheet every now and then.

#597 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

The Tyler head arrived but done shirts I got suckered in to buying. Head looks great. Not sure if it’ll fit anywhere logical yet. The shirts look oddly sized, I dunno about alibaba shirt sizing lol. Might fit once before they shrink in washing machine haha
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The Head looks really nice!

#598 2 years ago

The head is nice, but I can’t find anywhere it fits at the scale. We’ll see later once I get a few more of the planned physical items in. I’m short a church and the billboard mech I have to rework, both of which I’ve been avoiding a bit.

Instead, messing with EL paper and the cab now. Dracula is officially dead: more sanding, filling, and painting the cab next. Summer seems like a good time to knock this out.

E19FEB84-1BAB-4645-A099-340F2C6D0D61 (resized).jpegE19FEB84-1BAB-4645-A099-340F2C6D0D61 (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #599 2 years ago

Progress slowed down as I rebuild our basement steps. Sanded and filled the cab mostly, and found a better pink paint. I’m going to repaint the inside of the head.. sigh. Worth it I think though.

In meantime, I got these in, added some magenta lighting gel, and fired up EL paper. I had thought I would go with ‘in Tyler we trust’ but with the title eliminated from the back glass image, I’m leaning towards doing the fight club plaque instead so it’s visible somewhere from the front.

034AD87C-2C49-4B9D-9A2D-A64CCFC18378 (resized).jpeg034AD87C-2C49-4B9D-9A2D-A64CCFC18378 (resized).jpeg779F21BC-B191-4887-B4E5-7B94109E7030 (resized).jpeg779F21BC-B191-4887-B4E5-7B94109E7030 (resized).jpeg
    #600 2 years ago

I haven't had a chance to look at your stuff in detail for the machine in awhile, and it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, but here's some thoughts/ideas:

Apron cards: one of em should be Rules, with only two rules. Don't tell anyone about...

I like the side art with the soap.

Robert Paulson should be the default grand champion high score name or something like that

There's a cool 8-bit version of "where is my mind" that would sound great during game play

A cool mode would be where one of your balls causes havoc on your game, like it goes into a ball lock, then machine goes into a quick sleep/shut down/dark then lights up and you start playing again, but soon realize all the targets you are hitting are undoing the bonuses you built up on the previous ball.

There are 1,011 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-first-rule-is-fight-club-homebrew-build/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.