Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,011 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 167 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

405069973_7150533634989700_9144205483888789224_n (resized).jpg
    404993735_7150533524989711_5239683263420208945_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5420 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-5237 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5238 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5074 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5076 (resized).jpg
    church_real (resized).png
    church (resized).png
    There are 1,011 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 21.
    #501 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

that house is perfect!
    "I don't know how you found that house. It looked like it was waiting to be torn down. I don't know if you owned it or if you're squatting, neither would surprise me"

Haha thanks! It has a few details to be added and will be painted of course, with clear prints behind the windows .. hoping to get a candle effect with lighting, super excited to see it lit up and some effects when the ball comes thru. Pleased with how it turned out though.. huge improvement over the cardboard one I was using before

When I was looking for pictures of it to model off of, I came across a site where they talked about how they built this house for the movie ground up- in new condition. Then they aged it. Pretty crazy, I always thought it was just some shithole they found when site scoping for scenes.

#502 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker: It has a few details to be added and will be painted of course, with clear prints behind the windows .. hoping to get a candle effect with lighting.

Comet fire bulbs work great, I use the star post version for non-star post mods too.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/fire-bulbs?_pos=1&_sid=5f86858f0&_ss=r

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/star-post-lights?_pos=2&_sid=5f86858f0&_ss=r&variant=31455404359782

3 weeks later
    #503 3 years ago

thanks, yep! I recently picked some up for TWD. The nice thing about the FAST LED's (or any RGB style) is that I can make a light show for the flickering effect, and then still be able to play other colored shows on the same bulb - which is the plan here. Flickering normally, and then flash a cool show on them when the ball is traveling thru the house, or when the house scoop shot is open.

Long time since I have posted. Not a loss of time though.. I have been working thru a lot of audio files. I pulled everything I could use from the soundtrack, which meant using Audacity to record sections and chop up stuff.. get it so each music track can loop correctly on beat. I think I have about 25-30 audio Music tracks now. The 3 balls are split into random pools of 5 "songs" for each ball -- so you never get the same song for a ball or for a complete game. How many combinations does that make? Been a while since I've done that math lol.. I think if you multiply 1/5 * 1/5 * 1/5 you get the chances of having the same single combination.. which is less than 1%. Is there 125 combinations? I also have "intro" music for every track, for when the ball hits the shooter lane. It loops while the ball sits there, and the main music kicks in when you shoot the ball.

Got a lot of sound effects starting to be implemented, and some quotes. I have most of the movie to still go thru minute by minute to pull quotes. It's tedious, I'll be honest. But it's really cool to hear them played back while in a game.

Implemented attract flipper press quotes.
    Implemented a sound/light show for when you start a game (canceled by pressing both flippers)
    1 mode is partially done.. I am having some mechanical difficulties.
    Added lane change for the soap lanes (by pop bumpers) and awards for completion.
    Other random code stuff..

Also had some fun - I had an idea for the shadow diverter. This diverts to the group lock. The idea is that you collect 4 groups (ramp shots), and it diverts for a lock. then 4 more groups and it diverts for the 2nd lock. Plan is to model a church that will sit over the locks (like the church that the narrator goes to for meditation).. this starts meditation multiball.

For now, here's a shot of this clipboard I made that screws into the diverter.
    IMG-2063 (resized).jpgIMG-2063 (resized).jpg

#504 3 years ago

this game just keeps getting better

#505 3 years ago

thanks toyotaboy -- appreciate that!

Wish I had more to share.. once I get all the music loaded in and a few more things done I will try and do a video with a mic on the speakers and put it together and post to show some progress. Code progress is kind of boring otherwise, just to talk about. I guess it's nice to be at a point of showing progress video though.

#506 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

thanks toyotaboy -- appreciate that!
    Wish I had more to share.. once I get all the music loaded in and a few more things done I will try and do a video with a mic on the speakers and put it together and post to show some progress. Code progress is kind of boring otherwise, just to talk about. I guess it's nice to be at a point of showing progress video though.

Incredible buddy this isn’t your everyday home brew .Your ideas for gameplay are real cool and unique .You have to be feeling very proud of your work I know I would

#507 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

thanks, yep! I recently picked some up for TWD. The nice thing about the FAST LED's (or any RGB style) is that I can make a light show for the flickering effect, and then still be able to play other colored shows on the same bulb - which is the plan here. Flickering normally, and then flash a cool show on them when the ball is traveling thru the house, or when the house scoop shot is open.
    Long time since I have posted. Not a loss of time though.. I have been working thru a lot of audio files. I pulled everything I could use from the soundtrack, which meant using Audacity to record sections and chop up stuff.. get it so each music track can loop correctly on beat. I think I have about 25-30 audio Music tracks now. The 3 balls are split into random pools of 5 "songs" for each ball -- so you never get the same song for a ball or for a complete game. How many combinations does that make? Been a while since I've done that math lol.. I think if you multiply 1/5 * 1/5 * 1/5 you get the chances of having the same single combination.. which is less than 1%. Is there 125 combinations? I also have "intro" music for every track, for when the ball hits the shooter lane. It loops while the ball sits there, and the main music kicks in when you shoot the ball.
    Got a lot of sound effects starting to be implemented, and some quotes. I have most of the movie to still go thru minute by minute to pull quotes. It's tedious, I'll be honest. But it's really cool to hear them played back while in a game.
    Implemented attract flipper press quotes.
    Implemented a sound/light show for when you start a game (canceled by pressing both flippers)
    1 mode is partially done.. I am having some mechanical difficulties.
    Added lane change for the soap lanes (by pop bumpers) and awards for completion.
    Other random code stuff..
    Also had some fun - I had an idea for the shadow diverter. This diverts to the group lock. The idea is that you collect 4 groups (ramp shots), and it diverts for a lock. then 4 more groups and it diverts for the 2nd lock. Plan is to model a church that will sit over the locks (like the church that the narrator goes to for meditation).. this starts meditation multiball.
    For now, here's a shot of this clipboard I made that screws into the diverter.
    [quoted image]

Just awesome. What a great idea to have the different support meetings dedicated on that ramp. Excellent

#508 3 years ago

Thanks ChipScott !!

I got a couple more switches connected today, and troubleshot some lighting issues. I’ve spent too much time on this clipboard now though, lol — it was supposed to be simple but I’ve got some crazy lighting ideas. Each shot on the left loop lights a group room#. 4 shots and it diverts right to lock a ball. 4 more shots to left (it will release each locked ball when another comes thru) and then you lock the 2nd ball for multiball. Gotta update the 3D model to accommodate the lighting

‘ groups’ is lit as well, but I need to print the clear lettering to diffuse the light

10D2E6B1-23DB-4428-B084-5B1A991422CD (resized).jpeg10D2E6B1-23DB-4428-B084-5B1A991422CD (resized).jpegF1601BEF-DD24-4B2B-9B37-DDA777BEF5BB (resized).jpegF1601BEF-DD24-4B2B-9B37-DDA777BEF5BB (resized).jpegFDA87000-E64C-478F-B889-E777C9F24B51 (resized).jpegFDA87000-E64C-478F-B889-E777C9F24B51 (resized).jpeg
    #509 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Thanks chipscott !!
    I got a couple more switches connected today, and troubleshot some lighting issues. I’ve spent too much time on this clipboard now though, lol — it was supposed to be simple but I’ve got some crazy lighting ideas. Each shot on the left loop lights a group room#. 4 shots and it diverts right to lock a ball. 4 more shots to left (it will release each locked ball when another comes thru) and then you lock the 2nd ball for multiball. Gotta update the 3D model to accommodate the lighting
    ‘ groups’ is lit as well, but I need to print the clear lettering to diffuse the light [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Clipboard.... genius. Keeps getting better. Great work!

1 week later
    #510 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Thanks chipscott !!
    ‘ groups’ is lit as well, but I need to print the clear lettering to diffuse the light [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Badass bud

#511 3 years ago

Clipboard is working. Working on an attract show for it. Filming led lights is tough though, but the concept is there.

#512 3 years ago

Just read back thru this entire blog, what a trip down memory lane! I had completely forgotten about some things I tried that I removed or didn't work, my initial concept when I was deciding on a layout, and I was reminded of some great suggestions along the way that I STILL need to implement! My biggest take away from re-reading, was how many times I stated something to the effect of "not as much progress as I wanted to make today" or "xxx is realllly slow-going". Hahaha I had no idea that I had stated that so many times. But truly, it gets to the core of this whole project. And it should be obvious by now, given how long this has taken (even subtracting an 8 month hiatus), so I will try to remember to stop stating the obvious.

Friday I should time to get the orbit gates working correctly for franchise cities, and if that goes OK I may revamp the music sound pools to get the rest of the tracks in for the 3 balls so the ones I have in don't get too old. OR something else completely may happen.. never know. I have a "primary action items" list that I keep checking stuff off, but things keep getting added faster lol

Also, I wanted to relink to this, which I stumbled upon mid thread and had also forgotten about. This is fight club GOLD:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/a88tvv4b2p8ybz0/pinball_popcorn_pinball_fight_club_final_6.28.17.mp3

#513 3 years ago

Widened the left orbit shot last night, and today worked on getting these controlled gates working correctly.

Did a progress update, realized I left a few things out after I did it... cover them next time. A few sounds and shows are placeholders. If you just want to see a little gameplay skip to 3:30.

#514 3 years ago

Absolutely amazing! Love the light show, especially on the first plunge. Really nice touch.

#515 3 years ago

Looks awesome. Can’t wait to play it at a show someday.

#517 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Did a progress update.

JFC that shoots GREAT!
    At what point are you going to contact Roger Sharpe so he can help get the license, and what company are you going to have produce it?

#518 3 years ago

Ever thought of incorporating a crazy sex with Marla Singer mode?

#519 3 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

JFC that shoots GREAT!
    At what point are you going to contact Roger Sharpe so he can help get the license, and what company are you going to have produce it?

Lol- thanks! Ironically that video, I only hit 1 main ramp I think but managed to loop the side ikea ramp which has always been a concern. Producing this would unfortunately not make sense though, at least as-is if I finish it with full lower playfield. I’ll just be happy to one day maybe finish this one-off

Quoted from LeMansFan:

Ever thought of incorporating a crazy sex with Marla Singer mode?

Yep, definitely been discussed. My thought was to include it on the ‘adult’ settings

#520 3 years ago

Ending that mode with “I haven’t been fu&$ed like that since grade school.”

#521 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Oh snap shit is getting real

#522 3 years ago

MBecker u are a badass .To everyone else that has followed ,for the life of me I cannot understand why this thread is not jamb packed ! Can you ?

#523 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

MBecker u are a badass .To everyone else that has followed ,for the life of me I cannot understand why this thread is not jamb packed ! Can you ?

I can’t be sure but from what I’ve observed people don’t pay attention to homebrew threads until there is art on it.

#524 3 years ago

“Sterns next pin “,”next JJP title”,blah blah blah I want a Fight Club by MBeck ! How do they say ....”take my $$!!”....Glad to see some action on this thread bud always here

#525 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I can’t be sure but from what I’ve observed people don’t pay attention to homebrew threads until there is art on it.

You might be right .Reguardless this isn’t a normal homebrew by any stretch

#526 3 years ago

Mbecker: “everything I add seems to break something else...”
    Tyler Durden: “The things you own end up owning you”

I love this man! so glad you keep pushing forward!

#528 3 years ago

"Everything I add seems to break something else"... That pretty much sums up the whole homebrew experience

#529 3 years ago
    Quoted from ApplePie:

"Everything I add seems to break something else"... That pretty much sums up the whole homebrew experience

so true

#530 3 years ago

This time I added and nothing broke.. yet.

IKEA building. Collect ikea letters (each letter lights on a loop) for ikea frenzy. The 4 lights to the right are for tracking scenes. I will print something to go here on final version, naming scenes.

Ramp lighting and skyscraper lighting added. I had to map out what’s left cause I’m cutting it super close on the 256 lights- 42 or so are getting sent to lower playfield.

CC04AFBC-FD29-4307-AE3C-A5FC05305DA0 (resized).jpegCC04AFBC-FD29-4307-AE3C-A5FC05305DA0 (resized).jpeg7884A25A-D5F8-49B1-8621-F8E2ADAFEE38 (resized).jpeg7884A25A-D5F8-49B1-8621-F8E2ADAFEE38 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #531 3 years ago

Wrapping up some work on the house today. I was going to hand paint the final version with a brush to age it, but I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to find someone to airbrush it.. I may see what I can do vs. price to have that done. I've got 5 lights in the house, with a 6th that shines down over the "porch" scoop. Lights are wired now, so I'm just waiting to get the windows designed and printed. Getting excited to see it lit up.

house_snip (resized).JPGhouse_snip (resized).JPG
    #532 3 years ago

time to print some windows

house_2 (resized).JPGhouse_2 (resized).JPG
    #533 3 years ago

You might be suprised on how much an artist would charge in a good way, I was and I am using her again to repaint another cabinet as a result. I would reach out to see if any local artist would be interested. If you don’t know any off hand I would ask anyone you know that has a friend that is an autobody painter or someone from a tattoo shop. Your machine is looking great. I look forward to seeing artwork on playfield and cabinet.

#534 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Wrapping up some work on the house today. I was going to hand paint the final version with a brush to age it, but I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to find someone to airbrush it.. I may see what I can do vs. price to have that done. I've got 5 lights in the house, with a 6th that shines down over the "porch" scoop. Lights are wired now, so I'm just waiting to get the windows designed and printed. Getting excited to see it lit up.
    [quoted image]

Heck yeah man, looking badass. Can't wait to see this house complete and in position!

#535 3 years ago

This just keeps getting better

#536 3 years ago

Watched your play video...I LOVE the long full orbit off the upper flipper. It just looks so smooth and satisfying to hit!

#537 3 years ago
    Quoted from Loganpinball:

You might be suprised on how much an artist would charge in a good way, I was and I am using her again to repaint another cabinet as a result. I would reach out to see if any local artist would be interested. If you don’t know any off hand I would ask anyone you know that has a friend that is an autobody painter or someone from a tattoo shop. Your machine is looking great. I look forward to seeing artwork on playfield and cabinet.

I may still reach out then, that sounds encouraging. I was thinking about using Fiver or something but local could be better. What I really want to do is send it to Bas from the Pinball Amigos, he is amazing at airbrushing

Quoted from nicoga3000:

Watched your play video...I LOVE the long full orbit off the upper flipper. It just looks so smooth and satisfying to hit!

thanks -- I appreciate that! That shot is for sure one of my favorites. Probably satisfying partially because it's so hard to dial in and hit.. but a double loop is a lot of fun.

#538 3 years ago

Just wondering were you planning on bringing this to any shows when complete ? Just like anything else I’m sure pictures won’t do it the justice it deserves .

#539 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Just wondering were you planning on bringing this to any shows when complete ? Just like anything else I’m sure pictures won’t do it the justice it deserves .

It was at the northwest show before Covid. My plan is to bring it next year again — Requirement (self set) being that it’s in a cab. That means a lot of work in the next 14 months. We’ll see. As far as other shows, probably nothing farther than California if it does travel. First things first though, gotta finish it in that regard—

House lighting works pretty good.

92D4188E-A2BE-4E2A-89E2-35881FE4A883 (resized).jpeg92D4188E-A2BE-4E2A-89E2-35881FE4A883 (resized).jpeg
    #540 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I like the deleted scene " I want to have your abortion " which that line replaced

#541 3 years ago

Wow this is such a huge project, and so much detail, can't wait to see more!

#542 3 years ago

Love the use of the Shadow ramp to lock balls. Cool use of it! I am intimidated with the playfield final “paint” / sticker. It’s the one thing that keeps me from doing a home brew.

#543 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Love the use of the Shadow ramp to lock balls. Cool use of it! I am intimidated with the playfield final “paint” / sticker. It’s the one thing that keeps me from doing a home brew.

Just have to not think about it until that time comes lol. I think art will go faster than coding, and all the physical tweaks. If you’ve got an accurate 2d cad model image, Inkscape should suffice I think for art and it’s not too bad to use.

#544 3 years ago

I need a 2d cad for my gameplan cocktail table. Would like to retheme it and this is what is holding me up.

#545 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

I need a 2d cad for my gameplan cocktail table. Would like to retheme it and this is what is holding me up.

Fun idea— I’d tear down the top side, take a bunch of measurements and throw those into fusion. 3D modeling and fusion were a Hangup for me but I got a big nudge in that direction and am so glad.. it’s made so much more possible and wasn’t that bad to learn in the end.

#546 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

I need a 2d cad for my gameplan cocktail table

You need to find an hp scanjet 4600 on ebay (see through scanner). Then you need to scan the playfield in chunks and do something called "photomerging". Once you have the whole playfield scanned, you'll want to clean it up in photoshop and then you can start working on your custom art.

#547 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Fun idea— I’d tear down the top side, take a bunch of measurements and throw those into fusion. 3D modeling and fusion were a Hangup for me but I got a big nudge in that direction and am so glad.. it’s made so much more possible and wasn’t that bad to learn in the end.

I actually have fusion360 but I don’t know exactly how to go from a wireframe of the playfield to putting some sort of art on it and then do printers use .STL files to print from?

#548 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

I actually have fusion360 but I don’t know exactly how to go from a wireframe of the playfield to putting some sort of art on it and then do printers use .STL files to print from?

you need to export it out, probably as a dxf or image. Then import into something like inkscape, or another graphics program to do the art portion after ensuring it imported correctly dimension-wise. The print won't be from an .STL. You'd have to check with whatever printshop you use, but I am guessing there's several formats they'd accept that would be possible to save in from any graphics program.

#549 3 years ago

Today just a tip for anyone working on a homebrew or thinking about it —

I moved 5 lights on a string to a different place, and subsequently renamed them because old names in the new location just made no sense and would cause me headaches down the road. However, like with any code if you do this you’re risking ‘bugs’ if those old names are referenced anywhere else. In this case a bug means mpf won’t load. I knew this would happen.. but renaming trumped the pain of going thru code removing all old references.

And so the tip here — don’t make a bunch of light shows until you’re 95% sure you’ve got the light positions and names worked out. 100% is better. Learning as I go though.

#550 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

It was at the northwest show before Covid. My plan is to bring it next year again — Requirement (self set) being that it’s in a cab. That means a lot of work in the next 14 months. We’ll see. As far as other shows, probably nothing farther than California if it does travel. First things first though, gotta finish it in that regard—
    House lighting works pretty good. [quoted image]

Great progress. I am on the wrong coast I would like to see the machine when done in person. Are you porting into a cabinet as is? Or are you making another painted playfield to swap over?

There are 1,011 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-first-rule-is-fight-club-homebrew-build/page/11?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.