Topic Stats

• 562 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Rampmaster
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Firepower II replacements: plastics, back glasses, hard tops and playfields are not available. It would be helpful to have an idea how many owners would commit to purchasing the following. It would likely be a "limited edition" approach. see post #157”

• Plastics 35 votes
    34%
  • Back Glass 22 votes
    21%
  • Hard Top 23 votes
    22%
  • Playfield 23 votes
    22%

(Multiple choice - 103 votes by 55 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

processed-3B2A9A7E-0CC2-454A-8F2B-28B6D7DC2D02 (resized).jpeg
sling protectors with white (resized).JPG
sling protectors with blue (resized).JPG
IMG_2960 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2757 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2752 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2755 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2923 (resized).jpeg
FP2PSHT (resized).png
5F787E94-DDDF-4FDF-A028-B4EBC3DDAA9F (resized).png
PXL_20230126_210105165 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230126_210520964.MP (resized).jpg
20230218_163027 (resized).jpg
20230218_155352 (resized).jpg
There are 562 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.
#1 4 years ago

Lots of Firepower II posts in the regular Firepower Club...thought that this might be a decent idea since someone suggested it.

#2 4 years ago

My best 3-ball game to date!

IMG_2926 (resized).JPGIMG_2926 (resized).JPG
#3 4 years ago

Well, I'm a piker then...I have yet to break 1.5 million...

Tell me about your backglass...is that touched up or is it blue LEDs?

I have a spare FP2 backglass that is probably about a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10...would love to know about touching that one up.

#4 4 years ago

A previous owner did this amazing touchup work on it!!! Lmfao I think the cracks look pretty cool, at least it is original. Cool white LEDs behind the glass.

IMG_6982 (resized).JPGIMG_6982 (resized).JPG
#5 4 years ago

Wow. Just wow.

I'm a warm white LED person...

#6 4 years ago

Actually looking at that picture there are white red and blue LEDs back there. Previous owner installed them throughout...I would of left it original but it does make this players pin look better I think.

#7 4 years ago

Continuing the discussion from the FP1 thread:

ss-pinball
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd check the connections on the sockets, take out and wipe the bulbs and burnish the sockets.
If that doesn't work, I'd replace the sockets with new ones.

And get NVRAM and the bridge rectifier!

How are your plastics? Are they broken or do you have a full set?
(the plastics on FP2 are hard to get. No aftermarket ones exist. You may want to add some protectors).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're actually thinking that the light issue could be related to the driver board. The problematic lights are all on the same column... which just so happens to possibly have the incorrect resistor on the driver board.

One other problem we noticed was that the sound was off... some of the sounds were correct while others were just plain weird. Looks like someone just put a FP soundboard ROM in a FPII. Any idea where we can pick up a new sound ROM cheaply?

The plastics are in really good shape. The only damage are some chips on the plastic that surrounds the scoop and the plastic around where the ramp ends. Neither are really noticeable. What kind of options for plastic protectors are there?

IMG_2444 (resized).jpegIMG_2444 (resized).jpegIMG_2441 (resized).jpegIMG_2441 (resized).jpeg
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from bwill:

ss-pinball
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd check the connections on the sockets, take out and wipe the bulbs and burnish the sockets.
(the plastics on FP2 are hard to get. No aftermarket ones exist. You may want to add some protectors).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're actually thinking that the light issue could be related to the driver board. The problematic lights are all on the same column... which just so happens to possibly have the incorrect resistor on the driver board.
One other problem we noticed was that the sound was off... some of the sounds were correct while others were just plain weird. Looks like someone just put a FP soundboard ROM in a FPII. Any idea where we can pick up a new sound ROM cheaply?
The plastics are in really good shape. The only damage are some chips on the plastic that surrounds the scoop and the plastic around where the ramp ends. Neither are really noticeable. What kind of options for plastic protectors are there?[quoted image][quoted image]

It looks like that resistor (or whatever it is) is backwards.
I know nothing about boards...I send them to an expert. (But if you look at the lines, they seem backwards on the big one).
Lemme see if I can coax my expert to weigh in. (I just sent him a link)
He may be able to help out with the sound chip and NVRAM.

I'm not sure which sound chip it is... I know it was used in several different games--pins and video games--

I'm also not sure if you can download the sound as part of the ROMs listed here

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=firepower+ii

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Actually looking at that picture there are white red and blue LEDs back there. Previous owner installed them throughout...I would of left it original but it does make this players pin look better I think.

I can see where color matched LEDs would make some sense with a distressed backglass.

My playfield is worn to the wood between 1 and 7...I have two artists who will reproduce the original appearance.
It sounds horrible but it really isn't.
I picked up the Createx opaque airbrush set last week. (The same guys are going to do the touchups to Blackout after I replace the inserts).

I saw a FP2 at the Pinball at the Zoo show this year and it wasn't working.
I've never actually seen another working FP2 in person.
There was one at Allentown last year that started smoking...gotta get the bridge rectifier done....

I bought a FP2 glass that is much better than the one that came with my pin but still could stand a couple of dots of paint. I'd really like to give the original glass a serious try simply to practice. (Blackout needs it too and while I plan to replace that, I would rather do it after I get pin #3--it may be that the Blackout glass is so busy that it would be tough to notice touchups)

#10 4 years ago

I just recently joined this club... in tear down mode right now... it should clean up pretty nice... BG and cabs are solid...PF is alright...

6FCA0FC1-8C39-4A5A-A148-68CF7FD94886 (resized).jpeg6FCA0FC1-8C39-4A5A-A148-68CF7FD94886 (resized).jpeg
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

I just recently joined this club... in tear down mode right now... it should clean up pretty nice... BG and cabs are solid...PF is alright...[quoted image]

Nice looking play field!!

#12 4 years ago

Now that we have our own thread, can someone please make some reproduction plastics!?!?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

Now that we have our own thread, can someone please make some reproduction plastics!?!?

We need some scans. My set of plastics is incomplete. (my 31-521-13 is broken--that is adjacent to the shooter lane exti and just under the curve by the exit of the ramp).
I've been talking to a guy via DM about this. He wants me to scan, send him the scans and then he's going to clean up/format the images or whatever and then send them to someone (CPR?) for this purpose...I just need to get around to removing the plastics and getting them to the scanner--but FP2 is my only working pin at the moment.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

I just recently joined this club... in tear down mode right now... it should clean up pretty nice... BG and cabs are solid...PF is alright...[quoted image]

Welcome to the club!
Great looking playfield! (I'm jealous).
How are your plastics? If you see the note above--I'm dragging my feet on tearing mine down...Do you have access to a scanner? Would you be willing to scan and supply those scans to the vendor? (if you are in a position to do this, I can put you in touch with the guy I've been messaging for technical specs for the scans).

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Welcome to the club!
Great looking playfield! (I'm jealous).
How are your plastics? If you see the note above--I'm dragging my feet on tearing mine down...Do you have access to a scanner? Would you be willing to scan and supply those scans to the vendor? (if you are in a position to do this, I can put you in touch with the guy I've been messaging for technical specs for the scans).

Let me see what I can do...

Do you need a hi tech scanner or would my HP Envy 4512 that I use to print, copy, scan documents work?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

This is a much needed set of plastics. Took me 1 1/2 years to find a used set to replace the many broken pieces I had.

Now hodgesm0 can you post a picture of you're playfield in it's current state of missing one plasticness??

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

This is a much needed set of plastics. Took me 1 1/2 years to find a used set to replace the many broken pieces I had.
Now hodgesm0 can you post a picture of you're playfield in it's current state of missing one plasticness??

Probably the worst looking playfield out there, but got the game dirt cheap, and it’s still a great playing game.

70BE42BB-FB7E-4EDC-892E-27929E2EAD05 (resized).jpeg70BE42BB-FB7E-4EDC-892E-27929E2EAD05 (resized).jpegA7FAC258-02FE-4743-8114-AA88A4875C19 (resized).jpegA7FAC258-02FE-4743-8114-AA88A4875C19 (resized).jpeg
#18 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

Probably the worst looking playfield out there, but got the game dirt cheap, and it’s still a great playing game.[quoted image][quoted image]

Well hey, you don't play the artwork right? If they ever made a hardtop for this one I guess that would be an insta buy for you. So you love the game and your never selling it?

IMG_7006 (resized).JPGIMG_7006 (resized).JPGIMG_7007 (resized).JPGIMG_7007 (resized).JPG
#19 4 years ago

They don't yet make a hardtop but they do make a mylar playfield protector.

#20 4 years ago

Is there any interest in some custom rule cards for Firepower II (I'm not the guy who makes stuff like that...I just ordered some for another pin and asked the guy to stop by here if he could whip something up)

#21 4 years ago

I've created these custom apron cards, and am making them available for $10 per set, including US postage. I print these on a photo printer using OEM ink (no cheap third party) and OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then cover in 3 mil clear gloss laminate, razor cut to size, and then darken all edges.

Please PM me if interested for ordering details.
FP2-Title.jpgFP2-Title.jpgFP2-Instructions.jpgFP2-Instructions.jpg

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Well hey, you don't play the artwork right? If they ever made a hardtop for this one I guess that would be an insta buy for you. So you love the game and your never selling it?[quoted image][quoted image]

This one is going to stay in my collection for a while.

Are you looking to sell that piece?

#23 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-ii-custom-instruction-cards

Someone made these, you can have them printed on photo paper and they come out great!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

This one is going to stay in my collection for a while.
Are you looking to sell that piece?

It was part of the set I found but mine was not broken. Has a small crack at one of the mounting holes and some scratches but it is complete. Could keep hoarding it just in case mine breaks but I don't think that is going to happen and you don't even have one. PM me your address and I will send it your way.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from bwill:

ss-pinball
The plastics are in really good shape. The only damage are some chips on the plastic that surrounds the scoop and the plastic around where the ramp ends. Neither are really noticeable. What kind of options for plastic protectors are there?[quoted image][quoted image]

Apparently, I have no influence.
Check out there are several Williams technical problem threads that are frequented by more experienced pinheads than I am. Go to the forum page and search for the problem. It may have already been covered and the answer could be easy. I think there is a "club" or two dedicated to Williams 3-7 machines and they discuss technical issues.

I'm curious to find out what the issue is. I think it looks like that component might be backwards. Also a slight chance that the rating is different from what the schematic calls for. (that could go either way though...bigger physical size suggests different size to me--but wouldn't it actually be smaller if it replaced an old one?--but the color suggests that it is the proper capacity...) Very curious what is causing the problem.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

They don't yet make a hardtop but they do make a mylar playfield protector.

I looked at getting one, but for $150 shipped, it’s a little steep, maybe a little later down the road

#27 4 years ago

I’m not currently a member of the club, but am a fan of the title. I think this is one of the few times when the sequel surpassed the source material. I played a lot of Fire Power when it was in the arcades. It wasn’t one of my favorites, but there were a lot of them out there. By the time FP2 came out I had pretty much moved on to cars and girls, and just wasn’t hanging out in arcades much anymore. When I rediscovered pinball decades later, I found that I really liked what Mark Ritchie had done in my absence. He had captured what was really attractive about the early SS era and had added a little bit of depth to it. There were deeper rules, but not the thirty+ minute chop-fests that you might find with later titles. If I found a nice original example, I’d jump on it!

#28 4 years ago

FP2 is/was my first pin. I bought it at an estate auction. It would not boot or credit but GI would come on and the test button for the sound chip worked. Batteries were off the board but they were corroded and the corrosion had crept up the lead. The boards looked fine. There was a back box key but there wasn't a coin door key.

I bought it because it looked a lot better than the Gottlieb CountDown that had the replacement board in the cabinet did (that one ended up going for $150). I also would have been dead if I had brought home TWO pinball project machines without ever having successfully resurrected one. FP2 also looked more fun to play. It had a ramp. And I really liked the first Firepower.

I was able to tombstone it while it was on it's legs and then a dude with a forklift came over and took it to my van. ONce at the van I was able to take the legs off one at a time and slide the pin into the back of the van. Once home, I called my buddy over and we put the legs back on got it onto the enclosed back porch. I plugged it in, turned it on and just looked at it. The backglass paint was crazed. A day or two later I drilled the lock and was pleasantly surprised at how clean it was inside the cabinet. There were lots of fuses and screws and springs in there along with $1.50 in quarters. I ordered a new battery holder, and never put it on. I sent off the boards to be rebuilt and added NVRAM. I ordered some warm white LEDs and a new rubber kit, plastics protectors and lots of other miscellaneous stuff--including some new legs. I ended up doing some connector repinning and a few other minor things. When I got the boards I waited a week to install them because I was afraid that it wouldn't work when I installed them. It did work. My machine isn't perfect (some playfield wear, and four light sockets that either don't function or function intermittently and I have a standup target with the pad partially missing--I have the replacement target and the pad). I just discovered that there is a gate on the exit of the shooter lane and replaced it with the exact same part that was also used on Blackout. (Working on that project). I ended up getting a replacement backglass that is MUCH better than the one that came with the machine. Oh, my cab is excellent--easily a 9.2 out of 10.

So, I see what others say about FP2 being a little "off." I don't think of it as a weakness, I think of it as skills building. I am a better pinball player because I have and play this pin. My ball times are longer on location and at shows while playing other pins. I think that early eighties SS games are great and that you get TONS of pinball for the price. While not regarded as highly as some classic games like Firepower, Blackout, Flash Gordon, Silverball Mania...FP2 is definitely a solid player. Personally, I think it would fit best in a medium to large lineup. It is solidly of its time and is much faster than some other early pins. At this point, I've had it for 11 months and it has been functional for 9. I'd do it again in a minute.

My Blackout project is much more in-depth...once the boards are back on that one and it is functional--this one really is a project-- the plan is to tear down the playfield on FP2 and install a mylar protector over the artist repainted touchups and rebuild the flippers and bumpers. Also planning to put wedge style light sockets in the bumpers and replace the target and the intermittent bayonet sockets.

I have been tweaking FP2...just small adjustments here and there: a slight shift of a standup target so it is more evenly spaced, cleaning/burnishing/adjusting contacts, slightly increased playfield angle and that gate have really made this pin rock.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've created these custom apron cards, and am making them available for $10 per set, including US postage. I print these on a photo printer using OEM ink (no cheap third party) and OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then cover in 3 mil clear gloss laminate, razor cut to size, and then darken all edges.
Please PM me if interested for ordering details.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I just got these apron cards in the mail and they look great!

Thanks Mr_Tantrum !

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-ii-custom-instruction-cards
Someone made these, you can have them printed on photo paper and they come out great!

Those were mine, glad they are still being used

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

We need some scans. My set of plastics is incomplete. (my 31-521-13 is broken--that is adjacent to the shooter lane exti and just under the curve by the exit of the ramp).
I've been talking to a guy via DM about this. He wants me to scan, send him the scans and then he's going to clean up/format the images or whatever and then send them to someone (CPR?) for this purpose...I just need to get around to removing the plastics and getting them to the scanner--but FP2 is my only working pin at the moment.

Ive scanned some of mine. Here is a download link for who ever can use.

https://mega.nz/#!sMNxHQID!yqUNhsmTlOJ9HuU9d73GAU9brqnk9dlI7oJr08496GU

#32 4 years ago

I contacted a possible vendor directly to ask about scans.
Apparently, in the super secret world of 35 year old pinball machines it is easy to "step in it" which I have done.

Do any of you have a full set of plastics that you would be willing to part with for a time?
Anyone have a perfect backglass?

#33 4 years ago

I inquired about a backglass also.

#34 4 years ago

I miss my FPII

thumbnail-3 (resized).jpegthumbnail-3 (resized).jpeg
#35 4 years ago

I might be interested in sending my plastics in.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I miss my FPII[quoted image]

It is a fun and underrated pin for sure.

I love the sound chip.

#37 4 years ago

Thanks @swillie, can’t wait to install this afternoon
401598B8-68D6-4780-8E5A-2AD95BB28364 (resized).jpeg401598B8-68D6-4780-8E5A-2AD95BB28364 (resized).jpeg

#38 4 years ago

Plastic set finally complete!

A59A856D-0E32-4AE0-BAEB-8174DD4E1587 (resized).jpegA59A856D-0E32-4AE0-BAEB-8174DD4E1587 (resized).jpeg
#39 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

Plastic set finally complete![quoted image]

Great to see! That plastic is living the dream now

Actually kind of like the look of post apocalyptic destruction of your playfield, like the surface of an enemy base after it has been destroyed by those ships.

#40 4 years ago

So if anyone is interested in adding a speech board with Firepower roms to their Firepower II it really is a fairly affordable mod. The game doesn't use all of the speech that the original did, but it's pretty neat anyway. The board w/ roms and ribbon cable is only $60 and available here...

http://pinballpcb.com/products/replacement-system-6-7-9-speech-board/

You do need to make sure your sound board has the connector for the ribbon cable though or you cannot add the speech board.

Not affiliated with this company in anyway, this is what I added to mine and it worked out great once I figured out the jumper settings.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

So if anyone is interested in adding a speech board with Firepower roms to their Firepower II it really is a fairly affordable mod. The game doesn't use all of the speech that the original did, but it's pretty neat anyway. The board w/ roms and ribbon cable is only $60 and available here...
http://pinballpcb.com/products/replacement-system-6-7-9-speech-board/
You do need to make sure your sound board has the connector for the ribbon cable though or you cannot add the speech board.
Not affiliated with this company in anyway, this is what I added to mine and it worked out great once I figured out the jumper settings.

I have done this, it is an easy add that really adds to the gameplay!

Just a note, on the original you do need to modify the boards jumpers, there was a post on this process.

I’ll try to look for it and post it here.

#42 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/30#post-3904875

Here is the post on what you have to do to the original FP2 sound board

#43 4 years ago

Question... how many pinballs do you have installed in your FPII? I just have two, but the service manual asks for 3. I'm not having any problems with just two so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from bwill:

Question... how many pinballs do you have installed in your FPII?

Two here.

#45 4 years ago

Two

#46 4 years ago

2 balls...

#47 4 years ago

2 here as well. I never saw anything in the manual about the number of balls to put in the machine. I had to ask too.

1 week later
#48 4 years ago

Could someone post an image of the wiring in their tilt bob and bell? Trying to get mine working and wasn’t 100% sure how they should be wired up. Mine looks incorrect to me, but I may be wrong.

Thanks!!

#49 4 years ago

Anyone know if repro playfields are in the cards for this title? It seems like 90% of them out there have totally roached PFs. I know I'd pick one up to swap mine in a second if they were available, it's one of my favorite tables.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from stumptown:

Anyone know if repro playfields are in the cards for this title? It seems like 90% of them out there have totally roached PFs. I know I'd pick one up to swap mine in a second if they were available, it's one of my favorite tables.

Most copies of FP2 that I see are either trashed or not working.
I would think that someone, someday will do a hardtop or a repro playfield.
I wouldn't wait if you see it offered. My guess is that it'll be once for a short time and done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.50
There are 562 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-ii-loungemembers-and-fans-?hl=catvilledoorman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.