Topic Stats

• 562 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Rampmaster
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Firepower II replacements: plastics, back glasses, hard tops and playfields are not available. It would be helpful to have an idea how many owners would commit to purchasing the following. It would likely be a "limited edition" approach. see post #157”

• Plastics 34 votes
    34%
  • Back Glass 22 votes
    22%
  • Hard Top 22 votes
    22%
  • Playfield 23 votes
    23%

(Multiple choice - 101 votes by 55 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

processed-3B2A9A7E-0CC2-454A-8F2B-28B6D7DC2D02 (resized).jpeg
sling protectors with white (resized).JPG
sling protectors with blue (resized).JPG
IMG_2960 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2757 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2752 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2755 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2923 (resized).jpeg
FP2PSHT (resized).png
5F787E94-DDDF-4FDF-A028-B4EBC3DDAA9F (resized).png
PXL_20230126_210105165 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230126_210520964.MP (resized).jpg
20230218_163027 (resized).jpg
20230218_155352 (resized).jpg

There are 562 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
#501 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Got everything going! Turns out I'm a moron and completely missed 2 connectors when setting the game up. Seems the machine works better when all the connectors are in place. LOL
What a brutal game. But the classic Williams sounds more than make up for it. So great!!!
Chris

That ramp is tough to hit!

#502 1 year ago

This game is a steal for a solid state. I love the original but I can play fp2 for hours. Don’t understand why it’s so low on the totem pole. Yes I grew up in the 80s so that may be a bias, but still

#503 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

This game is a steal for a solid state. I love the original but I can play fp2 for hours. Don’t understand why it’s so low on the totem pole. Yes I grew up in the 80s so that may be a bias, but still

I would have to agree. Not sure the average pricing but I was really happy with the deal I got for the condition the game was in.

Chris

1 week later
#504 1 year ago

I've been shopping out and enhancing a FPII that we had picked up. Cabinet is in decent condition. Back glass is good condition is well. Playfield was not all blown out. Did some minor touch ups on it which came out OK but not perfect. Have automotive 2 part clearcoated the playfield and it looks awesome. Gonna go through the boards. All mechs rebuilt, Titans and Comets. Should come out pretty nice when all completed.

20230111_095837 (resized).jpg20230111_095837 (resized).jpg20230111_095857 (resized).jpg20230111_095857 (resized).jpg20230111_095907 (resized).jpg20230111_095907 (resized).jpg20230111_095920 (resized).jpg20230111_095920 (resized).jpg20230114_194349 (resized).jpg20230114_194349 (resized).jpg20230205_124223 (resized).jpg20230205_124223 (resized).jpg20230207_155712 (resized).jpg20230207_155712 (resized).jpg
#505 1 year ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I've been shopping out and enhancing a FPII that we had picked up. Cabinet is in decent condition. Back glass is good condition is well. Playfield was not all blown out. Did some minor touch ups on it which came out OK but not perfect. Have automotive 2 part clearcoated the playfield and it looks awesome. Gonna go through the boards. All mechs rebuilt, Titans and Comets. Should come out pretty nice when all completed.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks great! Wish I could have had you clear mine when I stripped it.
I added an extra gi in the area above the spinner. Ivan had a couple of these and it was a little dark for me wiithout. Nice job and of course great game

#506 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

That looks great! Wish I could have had you clear mine when I stripped it.
I added an extra gi in the area above the spinner. Ivan had a couple of these and it was a little dark for me wiithout. Nice job and of course great game

Thank you. Working on flattening the plastics now. Its amazing how much some have warped from incandescent bulb heat from years of use. Before and after shots. Not too bad using the oven method.

20230218_155352 (resized).jpg20230218_155352 (resized).jpg20230218_163027 (resized).jpg20230218_163027 (resized).jpg
#507 1 year ago

I got the OG Manual on EBay if Anyone interested. Cheers!

#508 1 year ago

Having some problems with my FP2. I installed new Wolfpack LED displays in my firepower 2 and I'm noticing that they go from dim to bright and right back to dim on the occasion. what something I would be looking for as the problem?

PXL_20230126_210520964.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230126_210520964.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230126_210105165 (resized).jpgPXL_20230126_210105165 (resized).jpg
#509 1 year ago
Quoted from Epistaxis:

Having some problems with my FP2. I installed new Wolfpack LED displays in my firepower 2 and I'm noticing that they go from dim to bright and right back to dim on the occasion. what something I would be looking for as the problem?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Possibly the capacitors on your power supply

#510 1 year ago

You probably checked, but I had issues with the connector from the power supply, that feeds the displays.

#511 1 year ago

FPII Og pop caps on EBay!! If anyone interested…Cheeers!

#512 1 year ago

Did the Speech addition mod today and love it! Seems like this is how it should have been from the factory. I get they were cutting costs at the time, but it seems like a different game. Or maybe I'm just crazy. LOL

I still need to adjust the speech / sound balance volume but you get the idea.

Chris

#513 1 year ago

Call me mad but I do not care for any speech in Xenon or in either version of Firepower. Now in Gorgar, it works VERY well. Space shuttle and Sorcerer, I think it works well too. With Firepower I kind of ask myself "why is it talking". Seems thrown in there.

#514 1 year ago

Did the Speech addition mod today and love it! Seems like this is how it should have been from the factory. I get they were cutting costs at the time, but it seems like a different game. Or maybe I'm just crazy. LOL

Chris

I like it. Does seem to cut a few of the sounds short. I think you might want to check on the ball launch. I had issues where that metal diverter on the upper right didn’t allow the ball to stay in the lanes at first. I think that’s where you want it to go.

#515 1 year ago

In addition to the speech, all the sound effects are pure Firepower. There don't seem to be any specific Firepower II sound effects, are they disabled?

#516 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

In addition to the speech, all the sound effects are pure Firepower. There don't seem to be any specific Firepower II sound effects, are they disabled?

I'm not really sure. My Roms say Firepower II on them on the sound board, but they are just recycled Williams sounds ( like Firepower, Defender, Joust, Robotron, etc.) that all the games of that era had.

One thing I find , and I don't know if this will make sense. With the speech now, it makes the fame "feel" older. When I first got it it didn't feel like a game from 1983 to me. It plays fast and while it had the 80's sounds, it felt to me like a newer machine. The speech really dates the game. Not necessarily a bad thing, just an odd observation on my part.

I still like it though.

Chris

#517 1 year ago

Is it irrational that it bothers me that the bumper caps are different?

No

5F787E94-DDDF-4FDF-A028-B4EBC3DDAA9F (resized).png5F787E94-DDDF-4FDF-A028-B4EBC3DDAA9F (resized).png
1 month later
#518 11 months ago

I’m needing a new wire gate from the shooter lane, anyone know where to find the correct one?

#519 11 months ago

Is there a setting to turn off the bell? There was in my Black Knight but nothing is called out in the manual that I can find.

Chris

#520 11 months ago

Also the bottom half of the back box lights aren’t working, any ideas?

#521 10 months ago

Score a NOS back glass from Mayfair Amusements at the Allentown show today!

Chris

1 month later
#522 9 months ago

Can anyone post measurements of your firepower 2 backglass please and thank you!

#523 9 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Call me mad but I do not care for any speech in Xenon or in either version of Firepower. Now in Gorgar, it works VERY well. Space shuttle and Sorcerer, I think it works well too. With Firepower I kind of ask myself "why is it talking". Seems thrown in there.

Agree, it's one of the reasons I prefer FPII over the original.

3 weeks later
#524 8 months ago
Quoted from livetowin:

I’m needing a new wire gate from the shooter lane, anyone know where to find the correct one?

I actually bent my own for a Blackout and it works great (It might even be the exact same part on all of those early Williams games). It looks like OEM part. Not tough to do. I was VERY reluctant to do it for quite a while, not I can't even remember how I bent the wire or what gauge wire I used. Take a look at your Bally machines and see if one of those gates will fit...that'll point you in the right direction for the size of the wire.

#525 8 months ago

The gate is on Marco now and I’m going to order, really liking this game and like Silverunicorn said, I also scored a nos backglass from Mayfair as well!

Score a NOS back glass from Mayfair Amusements at the Allentown show today!
Chris

#526 8 months ago
Quoted from livetowin:

The gate is on Marco now and I’m going to order, really liking this game and like Silverunicorn said, I also scored a nos backglass from Mayfair as well!

This reminds me...shipping is a killer on that single gate...I tried to get them to charge me a couple of bucks for shipping and put it in an envelope...they wouldn't do it. It was the only thing I needed from them for quite a while....

1 month later
#527 7 months ago

Hello everyone, it's been a long time since my last connection, first of all, I want to apologize for my sudden disappearance.

After this time I have been able to resume my projects, I want to continue with the hardtop project, I have more preparation and I have much more time to continue, to continue with the project I have two options, if someone can scan their playfield in real size to base myself on it or if there is no possibility, I can take mine

I hope you can see this!

#528 7 months ago

Investigating a bit I discovered that the origins of the "modern" hardtop file come from a creation for a vpx virtual table, I would like to know if the creator of this playfield is here, I have seen FP2 pinball in videogames that have the original art, I wonder if anyone knows how to extract that file to allow us to produce hardtops with the original art or three of the following options:

1-Extracting the original art from a platform such as VPX pinball, it would only be necessary for someone with the knowledge to do it
2-Follow the project with the "modern" hardtop
3-Edit the modern hardtop to make it look more faithful to the original

I am trying to carry out the third option for the time being, it looks good but I want to know what opinions you give me

FP2PSHT (resized).pngFP2PSHT (resized).png
#529 7 months ago

Nice work. I no longer own my FPII

#530 7 months ago

I’m working on more Firepower II and I am having issues on the center playfield lights, none are working. I pulled the driver board and checked everything including replacing serval items, all the ceramics, and ram chips. Even after this is have the same problem. What should I check next? All other items work and play as expected.

IMG_2923 (resized).jpegIMG_2923 (resized).jpeg
#531 7 months ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

I’m working on more Firepower II and I am having issues on the center playfield lights, none are working. I pulled the driver board and checked everything including replacing serval items, all the ceramics, and ram chips. Even after this is have the same problem. What should I check next? All other items work and play as expected.
[quoted image]

Welp went back to basics and found my issue, it was a fuse. They all looked good but I check my ohm readings and found a bad one. Easy fix, whew.

#532 7 months ago

Hi, I’ve been thinking about getting a Firepower II (if I can find one). I currently have the original FP, Blackout, and Space Shuttle. While I like the original FP, it’s so difficult, for me at least, to get multi ball or much of a good/fun game in. Is Firepower II much different or I guess do you think it’s more “fun” ? Thanks for any thoughts/opinions.

#533 7 months ago
Quoted from Bill62:

Hi, I’ve been thinking about getting a Firepower II (if I can find one). I currently have the original FP, Blackout, and Space Shuttle. While I like the original FP, it’s so difficult, for me at least, to get multi ball or much of a good/fun game in. Is Firepower II much different or I guess do you think it’s more “fun” ? Thanks for any thoughts/opinions.

I’ve gone back and forth trying to figure out which one I like better. FPII has the stronger flippers. It’s also a lot easier to get multi-ball. However, FPII doesn’t have speech and has only 2 ball multi-ball instead of 3. I’d buy either machine. Both good games.

#534 7 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I’ve gone back and forth trying to figure out which one I like better. FPII has the stronger flippers. It’s also a lot easier to get multi-ball. However, FPII doesn’t have speech and has only 2 ball multi-ball instead of 3. I’d buy either machine. Both good games.

Thanks for the input. I think getting at least a chance at a 2 multi ball is better than locking 2 and missing that third try.

#535 7 months ago

I just finished a moderate refurbishment of a FPII. Had pretty bad playfield wear, which was a few years from nearly completely flaking away, broken targets and had some driver board issues resulting in the game lights not working. Repaired the board, did a lot of playfield touch up by hand and replaced several playfield parts. It’s not perfect but am pretty happy with it. A few before and afters.

IMG_2752 (resized).jpegIMG_2752 (resized).jpegIMG_2755 (resized).jpegIMG_2755 (resized).jpegIMG_2757 (resized).jpegIMG_2757 (resized).jpegIMG_2962 (resized).jpegIMG_2962 (resized).jpeg

IMG_2923 (resized).jpegIMG_2923 (resized).jpeg

IMG_2960 (resized).jpegIMG_2960 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#536 6 months ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

I just finished a moderate refurbishment of a FPII. Had pretty bad playfield wear, which was a few years from nearly completely flaking away, broken targets and had some driver board issues resulting in the game lights not working. Repaired the board, did a lot of playfield touch up by hand and replaced several playfield parts. It’s not perfect but am pretty happy with it. A few before and afters.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

The touch ups turned out nicely. What did you use to seal the paint?

#537 6 months ago
Quoted from topkat:

The touch ups turned out nicely. What did you use to seal the paint?

Thanks. I used a water based polyacrylic.

1 month later
#538 5 months ago
Quoted from Waxon:

Investigating a bit I discovered that the origins of the "modern" hardtop file come from a creation for a vpx virtual table, I would like to know if the creator of this playfield is here, I have seen FP2 pinball in videogames that have the original art, I wonder if anyone knows how to extract that file to allow us to produce hardtops with the original art or three of the following options:
1-Extracting the original art from a platform such as VPX pinball, it would only be necessary for someone with the knowledge to do it
2-Follow the project with the "modern" hardtop
3-Edit the modern hardtop to make it look more faithful to the original
I am trying to carry out the third option for the time being, it looks good but I want to know what opinions you give me[quoted image]

You should contact greatwichjohn regarding the hardtop/playfield replacement...there was a file...he mentioned that you had done some work and that you had been in contact. I have NO idea if he's in a position to help or not.

#539 5 months ago
Quoted from Bill62:

In my opinion, FP and FPII are pretty similar from a shot perspective. I want a FP or a Space Shuttle.
Space Shuttle has many similar shots also. I've always looked at Space Shuttle as more-or-less "FP3"
I think that FPII is great but suffers slightly for being from the cost cutting era at Williams...recycled sound chip, only a 2 ball multi-ball--but not everyone enjoys the 3 ball. Elsewhere on this thread, swillie had detailed how to "upgrade" and mod FPII with the original FP sound chip with voice.
I have FPII set up steeper than I've ever seen a regular FP set up, so I think FPII has faster gameplay. I think that the FPII ramp is a nice touch also.
I wouldn't hesitate to have all three in a lineup. There are just enough differences to make it an interesting progression.

#540 5 months ago

Get the Firepower II. It's more fun than the orginal.

#541 5 months ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

In my opinion, FP and FPII are pretty similar from a shot perspective. I want a FP or a Space Shuttle.
Space Shuttle has many similar shots also. I've always looked at Space Shuttle as more-or-less "FP3"
I think that FPII is great but suffers slightly for being from the cost cutting era at Williams...recycled sound chip, only a 2 ball multi-ball--but not everyone enjoys the 3 ball. Elsewhere on this thread, swillie had detailed how to "upgrade" and mod FPII with the original FP sound chip with voice.
I have FPII set up steeper than I've ever seen a regular FP set up, so I think FPII has faster gameplay. I think that the FPII ramp is a nice touch also.
I wouldn't hesitate to have all three in a lineup. There are just enough differences to make it an interesting progression.

Yes, I enjoy my Space Shuttle very much and Blackout is an all time favorite (too bad they didn't make it a multi-ball). Appreciate the tip on the upgrade to FPII. If I get one, I'll be sure to check it out.

1 week later
#542 5 months ago

ss-pinball I have already spoken with him about the Hardtop, I am still editing the file at the same time that I am trying to reestablish contact with the guy who gave me the file to see if he has the original art!

2 weeks later
#543 4 months ago

picked up a firepower II today works great but alot of paint wear on the playfield. anyone know where I can get a scan of the artwork. I don't think anyone has reproduced the playfield or has a hardtop for it (or even an protector) but if I can get a scan I can put it down and make my own protector to put on top.

#544 4 months ago

They make clear layovers for FPII

#545 4 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

They make clear layovers for FPII

who has them? I couldn't find any. if you know please let me know. I know they have firepower I but could not find anything for FP II

---
scratch that, I just re-searched and immediately found them. not sure how I didn't see htem before, maybe I was searching on firepower 2 rather than firepower II or firepower in general.

thanks!

#546 4 months ago

I just made some plastic protectors for my firepower II slingshots.

laser cut from clear PETG

I have them at my pinside shop for $20 + shipping if anyone needs some. (pictures show them accentuated with 2 blue LEDS or 2 blue and 2 white LEDS)

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1463-arcade-cabinetscom/09732-slingshot-plastic-protectors-for-williams-firepower-ii

sling protectors with blue (resized).JPGsling protectors with blue (resized).JPGsling protectors with white (resized).JPGsling protectors with white (resized).JPG
#547 4 months ago

I will only do new playfields in the future if the art is finished & ready to print. It has been some time since Rick at PPS gave the green light. So I have no idea if others have it in the works or a hard top.

#548 4 months ago

Converted over to led and I have 2 sockets that suddenly won’t work. Does this era of games or FP2 in particular have flaky light sockets?

1 week later
#549 4 months ago
Quoted from livetowin:

Converted over to led and I have 2 sockets that suddenly won’t work. Does this era of games or FP2 in particular have flaky light sockets?

Had this happen on my FP2 in the backbox when I changed to LEDs. Kept blowing a fuse. Ended up being a bad LED bulb.

#550 4 months ago

Anyone ever have a problem with the “Orbit Complete” light? It’s the only light on my machine not working. No voltage getting to that socket. Assuming that one or both of the ceramic resistors are bad. Thing is other components run through that same board the resistors are on and work fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 562 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-ii-loungemembers-and-fans-/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.