IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider walamab.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1170 7 years ago

Hello everyone...I'm about to join the club (finally). I think I've finally convinced my in-laws to relinquish their no kidding one owner HUO Firepower bought new in 1980 but left neglected and un-played for many years. It needs a good cleaning, work around the inserts and the coils need to be replaced but it has the potential to be fantastic. There is little to no fade on the cabinet (...like none...but I forgot to take pictures). A previous maintainer put a random stand-up target in the middle right bank but I plan to replace all of the targets anyway. I've posted pictures for your feedback and suggestions for the restoration.

IMG_0081 (resized).JPGIMG_0081 (resized).JPG

IMG_0082 (resized).JPGIMG_0082 (resized).JPG

IMG_0083 (resized).JPGIMG_0083 (resized).JPG

IMG_0084 (resized).JPGIMG_0084 (resized).JPG

IMG_0087 (resized).JPGIMG_0087 (resized).JPG

IMG_0089 (resized).JPGIMG_0089 (resized).JPG

IMG_0085 (resized).JPGIMG_0085 (resized).JPG

IMG_0088 (resized).JPGIMG_0088 (resized).JPG

IMG_0090 (resized).JPGIMG_0090 (resized).JPG

IMG_0093 (resized).JPGIMG_0093 (resized).JPG

IMG_0095 (resized).JPGIMG_0095 (resized).JPG

IMG_0096 (resized).JPGIMG_0096 (resized).JPG

IMG_0092 (resized).JPGIMG_0092 (resized).JPG

IMG_0098 (resized).JPGIMG_0098 (resized).JPG

IMG_0100 (resized).JPGIMG_0100 (resized).JPG

#1172 7 years ago
Quoted from ApplePie:

Looks like it's in really great shape, nicely done! I would read through Vid's system 3-7 bulletproofing thread to start. I would suggest doing all of the board updates in his thread, which isn't all that difficult and is well documented. At an absolute minimum you need to fireproof the rectifiers with fuses and I would say the special solenoids as well. Add an Nvram to eliminate the batteries and some capacitors and transistor upgrades and you are done for the next 30 years. Plus it's a fantastic machine to cut your teeth on if you don't have a ton of experience. The amount and quality of documentation for Firepower is incredible.
Playfield looks really great for the age. Have a read of Vids playfield restoration thread for the how to guide on paint and insert repairs. How far you take it is completely up to you...
I would replace the flipper assemblies with 1990's style and rebuild the pops at the same time. Again, fantastic guides from Vid for both.
Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I've been reading vid's tutorials and they don't seem too hard to implement. Hopefully I'll be able to start soon.

#1174 7 years ago

A quick question on updating flippers to "90's" style...From vid's tutorials I only see system 11 to "modern". Am I missing an important thread? My STTNG has optical switches and a different flipper controller board for the flippers. Is adding this type of system what is recommended? It seems a bit like overkill if this is the case.

A push in the right direction on this topic will be appreciated.

#1175 7 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

... Get all of those incandescent bulbs out of the back box and put in LEDs just so you don't bake the backglass. I know that it took many years of those bulbs being on to cause the paint to flake but why risk it? You would have to pay a lot of money to get a backglass in that condition!

LEDs are one of the first things I'll tackle. I definitely see the value of the backglass and want to keep it that way .

#1180 7 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. This helps a lot. I'm inclined to keep it as close to original as possible from a mechanics standpoint. Turns out there is an unused Williams flipper rebuild kit in the coin box. I'll double check the coil stops to make sure they aren't worn.

Thanks again!

#1181 7 years ago

By the way, warm white or cool white LEDs for GI/Backglass? Opinions?

#1188 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I just ordered a mess of warm white. I'll post when finished.

Can't wait to see it.

Quoted from dzorbas:

Have a look at this post. It's hard to take good pictures of the LEDs, it looks much better in person. I experimented with various colours to see what looked best. You could go soft white all around and I think it would look great.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/13#post-3032433

That looks quite good. I may get ambitious and try that too .

Thanks to everyone for feedback and advice.

1 month later
#1316 7 years ago
Quoted from gamedoctor75:

I was able to find a back glass. You'd think that with over 17,000 production pieces, CPR would of made more than 250 pieces of the Firepower play field. I have sent them a couple of emails trying to pick their brain to see if they would make another production run. I have yet to receive an email back. I can't even find an overlay reproduction for this thing. I'm at the point of thinking about sanding the whole play field down and customizing my own graphics for it.

If I had the right kind of scanner, I'd scan mine so you could make your own overlays...perhaps someone else with a scanner would offer to do that for you?

#1326 7 years ago

So I've started cleaning the FP machine I inherited from my in-laws. I'm not having to do too much to it but there is some warping in the plastics. The graphics are fine but the slingshot plastics are bowed.

Does anyone know if this can be corrected without ruining the graphics? I've been thinking hair drier to heat and a big heavy book to flatten.

Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

#1341 7 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the great advice on flattening warped plastics. None of the techniques seem to tough. I'll give it a try later this week.

Thanks again!

#1342 7 years ago

Sorry to be an info leech but I'm having trouble finding a part that shouldn't be that tough to get. I need to replace one of the transparent red lane guides for F-I-R-E. I ordered what I thought was the right one (correct color and size) but it had ridges on the underside of the plastic.

I'm looking for one without these ridges. Does anyone know where to find this specific type of lane guide that is smooth on the back side? I purchased the one with ridges from pinballlife.com and I contacted pbresource.com but theirs have ridges too.

Thanks in advance...again....

#1344 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Pretty sure the ridgeless lane guides for FP are unobtainium.

Bummer, I guess I'll just use red LEDs under them to get account for some of the weird problem I'm seeing with their color.

Thanks for the info.

#1345 7 years ago

I opted for the hair dryer on hot setting to flatten my warped plastics. It worked GREAT! Thanks for the tips!

I heated each plastic for 3-5 minutes on a granite counter top until I noticed it relax a bit. I then placed a large glass casserole dish on top of it until it cooled...voila...flat plastics .

Thanks again!

#1347 7 years ago

Here's a weird one for you guys...I've gotten my FP playable and looking pretty good. I left it on for a while just to see what happens. After about an hour just about every sound in the game started triggering and it ultimately popped the solenoid fuse (F2). I checked for obvious issues (other than the blown fuse) and everything looks fine. I replaced the fuse and everything works and plays fine. I'm gonna chalk this up to a fluke but if it happens again I may have to get some help.

#1350 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

It was lonely and wanted to play. Sorry I will leave now.

This made me laugh out loud .

1 week later
#1354 6 years ago

So I'm taking the leap and getting setup to try to produce cast inserts. Vacuum chamber and pump are on the way and sample materials have been ordered. I'm going to start with the blue crescent "POWER" insert that appears to have become unobtanium. May take a few weeks to get decent results. But I'll post back here if I succeed

#1358 6 years ago

Infrastructure for laser cutter is out of my price range but that is a good idea . It might be a little tough to do anything but flat inserts though.

#1359 6 years ago

You can get the red one from Mr. Pinball (mrpinball.com.au) in Australia. $5.00US each plus around $25US for shipping. I found Teal hot dog replacements for my STTNG there. The blue one is listed at Bay Area Amusements (www.bayareaamusements.com) but has been out of stock for a long time (hence my focus on the blue one).

1 week later
#1373 6 years ago

hello again everyone...I found a somewhat mangled pop bumper switch stack on my FP and have a question. There is a capacitor connected in series with a resistor between the negative (black/green wire) side of the high voltage (25V) switch and the positive (red/orange) side of the switch. One of the leads of this cap is broken so I need to replace it. The problem is I can't tell what size (uF) cap to use. I can tell it's 25V but can't read the capacitance.

What does this cap and resistor do and can anyone tell me what its capacitance should be?

Thanks a million!

#1376 6 years ago

Excellent info. Thanks for responding. I incorrectly assumed the switch was directly activating the solenoid. But now that I think about it what you said makes perfect sense.

Thanks again

3 weeks later
#1383 6 years ago
Quoted from Bada-Bing:

Ghost in the machine ?
I was working on my Firepower the other night, POWER OFF, Play-field propped up. I was working underneath at the Top of the game when I brushed the Flasher in the "POWER" INSERT with a hand and it lit up !........ WTF !. I tapped it a few times and it went on and off and fluttered like it was Ghosting a bit. NOW, the FIRE & POWER Inserts are lit all the time during Game play only, not in attract mode ???
Any suggestions as to where to start would be greatly appreciated. My Pinball Electronics knowledge is about a LOW 4 .....
Thanks in advance.

The power off is concerning. Are the Flashers LEDs? I ran into a problem with mine in that the "warming" circuit for the flashers was causing the LED flashers I put in to stay on all the time. I cut the black ground wire to the little board with the warming circuit resistors and it solved the problem. I haven't heard anything about this circuit being powered with the switch off so this is just a guess.

#1386 6 years ago
Quoted from Bada-Bing:

Ghost in the machine ?

So it really doesn't sound like its your warming board for the flashers. I had some random coil problems similar to what you are describing for lights and flashers. I ended up going through the system 6 bullet proofing steps in this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6 . The step that fixed my problems was replacing the 40 pin inter-board connector. The guide does a good job of explaining things (its by Vid after all). The 40 pin can be a bear to de-solder and remove but Vids guide has some suggestions on how to more easily accomplish it. He even tells you where to get the parts.

Since all the lights and coils are connected via the driver board (2J7 Lamp Row drive, 2J6 Lamp Ground and 2J5 Lamp column drive) it seems to me it could be a 40 pin connector issue. Of course if you've already replaced the connector this is obviously not the problem.

Short of that I could only suggest "ringing" out the wires to the troublesome lamps to ensure no opens or shorts or bad solder joints.

I'm not an expert by any means but I'll try to continue to help. Good luck!

#1387 6 years ago
Quoted from Bada-Bing:

Ghost in the machine ?

Just looked at the lamp matrix form the manual. The lamps you are having issues with are all on Row one of the lamp matrix (Red-Brown wire). This could narrow the problem (if its not the 40 pin connector) to 2J7 on the bottom of the driver board. Pin 1 of this connector is Row 1 (right most pin when looking at the connector with Red-Brown wire).

I would start "ringing" out with a meter at this pin and work through each lamp to ensure there isn't a loose connection.

Hope this helps.

#1388 6 years ago
Quoted from Bada-Bing:

Ghost in the machine ?

Just looked at the lamp matrix form the manual. The lamps you are having issues with are all on Row one of the lamp matrix (Red-Brown wire). This could narrow the problem (if its not the 40 pin connector) to 2J7 on the bottom of the driver board. Pin 1 of this connector is Row 1 (right most pin when looking at the connector with Red-Brown wire).

I would start "ringing" out with a meter at this pin and work through each lamp to ensure there isn't a loose connection.

Hope this helps.

#1389 6 years ago

oops the 9 lamp on the center playfield is on row 6 (Red-Blue) but shares column 3 (yellow-orange) with the 4 lamp.

so if it was me, I'd start at the connection for 4 lamp (Red-Brown) and check continuity back to pin 1 on the 2J7 connector.

2 weeks later
#1391 6 years ago
Quoted from Bada-Bing:

sorry for taking so long

No worries. I'm happy to try to help. Best of luck!

#1393 6 years ago

Travish, is that a reproduction playfield or one you restored?...either way it's looking great!

#1394 6 years ago

Ah I see now it looks like it could be a CPR. (starburst inserts, ball trough and slots behind the 1-6 targets for the drop target mod).

Keep posting your progress. I love to see these things come together

#1396 6 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

getting setup to try to produce cast inserts

So I've finally worked out the process to avoid bubbles in the final parts. So far I only have one mold. I have been able to successfully cast blue crescent/hot dog inserts. Since the blue ones seem to be unobtainium, that's what I started out trying to make.

I used Innovative Polymers OC7086 crystal clear polyurethane resin with Eager Polymers Royal Blue dye cast in a mold made of Quantum Silicone QM 262A.

This was NOT an easy thing to figure out. I spent a month of trial and error and talking with the resin supplier to try to figure how to keep bubbles from forming as the stuff cures.

Turns out adding a few drops of Bismuth Neodicanoate in 4% solution with acetone to ~15g resin as a catalist helps things (but shortens working time). Degassing in vacuum chamber followed by slow mold pour (to avoid air entrapment) followed by cure in pressure pot at 60psi does the trick.

The resin (once cured) feels just like the injection molded stuff and can be sanded like the real thing. If anyone wants more information on this just PM me. I can save you a lot of time on the learning curve .

cast-resin-crescent-insert-blue (resized).JPGcast-resin-crescent-insert-blue (resized).JPG

Should mention the rough looking edges are just flash that can be sanded away very easily.

#1400 6 years ago

Since I don't have a license (and I assume I would need one to sell them) I don't think I can legally charge $$ for them. But, I can give them away . I just don't have the capacity to make tons of them. and I can't guarantee they wont have a few tiny bubbles.

If you are in need of one, PM me and I'll drop one in the mail to you. Bear in mind they may need some sanding to get rid of flash and any unevenness in on the surface. But for free, who's to complain about that, right?

2 weeks later
#1447 6 years ago

Yep batteries first. If the LEDs stay off the MPC is booting ok. Make sure three balls are in trough too. game won't start without them.

1 week later
#1461 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Are there good playfield scans available

I've got a decent set of graphics (playfield and plastics) that I put together for my virtual version of FP2. They are based on a stitched playfield scan. I re-drew them in Illustrator so they are currently vector format but I can convert them if you want to take a look.

You may have to play with some scaling of the decal so they will align with your playfield correctly.

The sample .png I attached is at 72 dpi. I can provide a 300dpi version that will work better for decals.

FP2PFnew (resized).pngFP2PFnew (resized).png

#1463 6 years ago

Actually yes. My mistake on which machine. I'm sending this from a mobile device. When I get back to my computer I'll upload it for you to take a look at.

#1465 6 years ago

Here you go. I have a much higher resolution file but it is to big to upload here. Adjustments will obviously have to be made to contrast and brightness (among others) to make any generated decals look right on your machines.

If you want the hi-rez file PM me with how best to deliver it.

Best Regards!

FP-PF_lower resolution (resized).pngFP-PF_lower resolution (resized).png

#1466 6 years ago

The scan I pulled this from had some problems in the area around the right green lock insert so I had to "fix" it in photo shop.

#1478 6 years ago

For those that asked for copies of my Firepower scan, I am in the process of sending it now. My internet connection is really bad so it will take a while to upload. You should have it later this evening if things don't crash on me.

#1479 6 years ago

That went much faster than expected. It should be in the inboxes you provided shortly.

#1485 6 years ago

There was so much interest in my scans I thought I'd post a good resource for other table scans. It is ...

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=18

This is a virtual pinball forum but has a pretty good collection of imagery that could be used for the real thing if used properly.

Hopefully this will help someone.

3 weeks later
#1535 6 years ago

One more vote for Dark Red.

#1547 6 years ago

what is the timeline for the repro back glasses to be on the market?

#1562 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Not on the site yet, just got them in.

Very cool. any idea when they might be available for the rest of us .

1 week later
#1582 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

After some pestering cliffy now has firepower set. Not on the site yet, just got them in. Yea!!

Just ordered my protectors. Thanks for posting that Cliffy had them.

#1585 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

If anyone needs/wants to replace your old/yellowed/broken plastics for some gorgeous new repros, shoot me a PM!

I have a set and they are fantastic. Highly recommend this if you need plastics!

#1611 6 years ago
Quoted from BDAWG:

Does someone make a playfield decal for FP II?

If you want to make your own, I have a very high resolution version of the playfield you can have. you can see a 72 dpi preview of it here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/30#post-3891623

PM me if you want it.

1 month later
#1684 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

CPR has a re-run of plastics now listed as available on their website.
Get 'em while they're hot!
http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-plastics.html

Just ordered mine...never thought I'd be able to get this.

1 week later
#1690 6 years ago

I ordered my plastics set last week and have had zero communication from CPR. Is that normal? I followed their ordering procedure for Paypal to the letter and received a transfer confirmation from Paypal. Do I just expect the package to show up "eventually"? Anyone have experience with this? I know its coming from Canada but I would expect something saying "we got your order".

#1697 6 years ago

Ok, thanks guys. No email from UPS yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

#1699 6 years ago

Yep, as luck would have it, I got a UPS tracking number via email yesterday. Thanks again.

2 weeks later
#1768 6 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We are happy to announce that the Firepower replacement backglasses are now available - super high quality, mirrored, etc (same supplier who did that EBD V2, Space Shuttle V2, Gorgar, Blackout, Alien Power, Kiss, Flash, etc) ...
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-08-7227-FIREPOW-V2&Store_Code=PP
Note that one thing that I learned was the debate over the red - which was designed to light up a lighter red vs when off. Seems that some of the bootleg repros out there could not figure that out so the glass that you see is the lighter red, which is not correct ...
Anyways, enjoy, they are in stock now!
[email protected]

Just ordered mine. Original is going in a frame on the wall.

#1770 6 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Hey everyone, I have an issue with my game. Whenever I turn it on it looks like everything is good, but for only a split second. Then it will go into a test mode and will auto cycle through all the different tests very rapidly. The game seems to just about boot up and play, but just goes into the test mode and I can't get out of it. It just continually cycles in test over and over.
Any thoughts?

When I was having weird issues like that, replacing the 40 pin inter-board connector cured all ills. check the system 3-7 bullet proofing steps in this thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6). Ialso replaced all of the cheap chip sockets with SIPs as recommended by Vid's thread. If you've already done this, I'm sorry I can't help .

#1771 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Let me know how it is when it shows up. I'm interested in getting one, as well

Will do

#1776 6 years ago

I rushed out and ordered the repro backglass but forgot I will probably need a trim kit to install it. Can someone recommend what size lift trim I should use? (I suppose I can wait until it comes in and measure it...or even better measure the original I have installed now).

Thanks!

#1787 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Wow, that really does look nice. Which trim goes with this back glass?

I'd like to know too.

5 months later
#2162 5 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

It is very common for Firepower to have leaf switch assemblies that were manufactured wrong

I can confirm this. Mine had several original switches that were causing problems. Re-building them has made things work much better.

2 months later
#2312 5 years ago

If you use an incandescent flasher you will need to keep the warming circuit. If you put in an LED flasher it will stay lit (dimly) if you don't disable the warming circuit. It has no effect on the other lighting.

3 weeks later
#2379 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Firepower is not wanting to start a game?

Make sure the batteries aren't dead too.

2 months later
#2575 5 years ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Any ideas what this could be?

Definitely sounds like batteries. Are all the displays out or do you see an 04 in the player or current ball display?

5 months later
#2874 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

bulletproofing guide

I had weird stuff like that when I first got mine. Replacing the inter-board connector (40-pin) solved LOTs of problem. I think that's the first thing Vid recommends in the bulletproofing guide. I'd start with that.

Good luck!

2 weeks later
#2901 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

Hi guys, does anyone have or know where I can find the plastic for FP2 highlighted in the photo below?

I've got vector artwork I made for this very visual pinball machine . You could make your own as a last resort. looks like someone modded it to make the lighting better .

1 week later
#2919 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

What is the number for the large center plastic for FP2? That is the one you i’m missing!

31-521-18

#2920 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

The photo I used was a stock one, not my machine, I would love your files if your willing to share! Thanks!

Not so stock . I created that machine for VPX (Visual Pinball) a few years ago. That's why I have the graphics . I have the play-field too if you need it for decals however the colors will not likely match.

#2927 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

That is it, I found the same number on another photo

31-521-11 is what I see on IPDB. I made a copy and paste mistake in my graphics...sorry

2 weeks later
#2932 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

any reason you can't get your graphics to some folks to make some?

Since I don't actually own the game (FP2), it never occurred to me to make them available for manufacture. My main concern with doing so is that they are not "exact" reproductions of the graphics. (i.e. raster effects instead of halftone transitions, rough outlines of ships rather than precise tracing, color selections aren't exact, etc.). Are they good enough? maybe but also maybe not knowing how some are about their restorations. Generally speaking if someone wants copies I'm happy to share but with the caveats above. Remember they were made for visual pinball not a real machine .

Now, if someone had high resolution scans of their plastics to send me. I would certainly be willing to work on and contribute the artwork for having them produced. Even if they are broken or yellowed I can correct flaws. Just sayin'

#2938 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I'd scan my plastics...

I'll work up the "real" graphics if you are willing to send me scans. I'll PM you.

3 weeks later
#2954 4 years ago

Looking a photos on ipdb.org...it looks like it may have come with one originally. Might be worth a look to make sure I'm not seeing things.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider walamab.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club?tu=walamab and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.