IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomservo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4233 1 year ago

On the power supply board, disconnect all the output plugs, leaving only inputs J1 and J2 connected. Also, check the GI & logic power fuses in the backbox.

Check the cabinet fuses and the fuses on the power supply board, replace any that may be blown, and turn the game on.

If you DON'T have power on the PS board, then the problem is between the wall outlet and the PS board, or on the PS board.

If you DO have power on the PS board, check for all the correct voltages on the PS board. Next what I would do is turn the game off, and one by one, plug ONE output connector back into the PS board and then turn the game on again to see if you still have power. If a fuse blows after you plug a connector back in and turn the game on, then that will point you to the problem area based on which connector you attached that caused a fuse to blow.

http://firepowerpinball.com/downloads/BackboxWiring.pdf

#4235 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Thank you so much for this road map tom. I will perform it in the morning and report back.

When you get to the point of plugging the output connectors back into the PS board one at a time, I'd start with 3J6 since that is the power to the CPU board to see if the game will boot. When turning on the game, watch the 2 LED's on the CPU board and observe their flash sequence.

* CPU LEDs come on and stay on with no flash: the CPU board isn't booting or is locked up.
* CPU LEDs flash once and then stays on: the CPU board booted/tried to boot but has a ROM or PIA problem.
* CPU LEDs flash once quickly then go out: the CPU board is probably working OK, but will need the displays attached to see if there is are any other issues.

If you get the CPU/driver boards to boot OK, then turn off the game and plug in connector 3J4 to see if your lamps come back on or a fuse blows. This could be the problem area since that is what you were working on when the issues started.

If that works OK, then turn off and plug in 3J5 and turn back on to see if you get your displays back.

Lastly, I'd turn off the game again and plug in the solenoid connector 3J3 and power it up again.

Let us know how it goes!

#4243 1 year ago

Time to get your DMM out and start probing for voltage...

With the game plugged into the wall outlet, put your DMM into AC mode and check voltages with a black lead on one point and red on the other per the attached photo. Doesn't matter which lead is on each point.

FP-power1 (resized).jpgFP-power1 (resized).jpg

A-B voltage:
A-C voltage:
D-E voltage:

You should get around 120VAC for each of those.

Next, the red/white wires coming out of the line filter (D-E in photo) go to the blue/white connector that feeds the transformer in the back box in my photo. Disconnect the blue/white connectors and check the voltage between the red/white wires in the blue connector. Should still be around 120VAC.

Next step would be to check for the voltages coming out of your transformer into the J1/J2 connectors to your power supply after you reconnect the blue/white connectors.

In your photo, the input power LED's weren't on, but I'm not sure if you took that pic when the game was on or off. If you had power to your PS board, then those LED's should be on.

20221019_180555 (resized).jpg20221019_180555 (resized).jpg
#4249 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Holy crap! It came back on after I reconnected the white and blue connectors that feed the transformer!

Nice! Probably should re-pin that connector, both the male & female sides. Congrats on finding the problem!

#4252 1 year ago

You reconnected all the other connectors to your PS board, and everything is working again?

6 months later
#4366 11 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Okay good to know. Thanks Slochar
I have to get mine operating properly before I start to mess with the upgrades anyhow. Currently it boots into attract mode, adds credits like it should, but wont start a game. The 40 pin looks pretty good, but ill probably put a new one in when I pull the boards out. I need to replace the 40 year old power supply caps anyway. I noticed the PIA for switches is socketed and pulled the chip to inspect. Its pretty warped. The socket is MOLEX brand. Better than Scanbe I assume. Here's a pic of that chip.[quoted image]

Did you check the trough switches? If FP doesn't detect all 3 balls, it will not start a game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Tools
Pincoder Store

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomservo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club?tu=tomservo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.