IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcsquid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1401 6 years ago

Picked up a firepower 2 at pintastic! Joining this club. I fell in love with the sounds these make and I love the gameplay. This is going to be the "old one" in my collection perhaps permanently. (Only have room for 3 or 4) I personally liked FP2 more than 1 (I know im the weird one) but it saved me some $. I wish the ramp and orbit shots were somehow swapped (orbit being far left and ramp to the right if that) but everything else is great.

FB_IMG_1499661465555 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1499661465555 (resized).jpg

#1403 6 years ago

Yup thats me. You were playing the bally star trek that was also owned by the guy I bought this from? Haha yea we blew the fuse when he was showing me inside the cab. He didnt notice there was a ball in the lock when he lifted it and it got jammed in there. The fuse blew when the game couldnt kick it out afterwards.

#1405 6 years ago

Not sure. I'll check when I'm off work. Is there any advantage to having an early model of this game? For example like how the first 100 rollergames had diamond plate clearcoat and the rest did not?

#1408 6 years ago

The southern NH pinball club brought the FP and you are right. Bad shape, prone to issues all weekend including tilting for no reason! I payed $900 for FP2 it and I feel like it was a steal. I feel like the FP and the FP2 should have had their prices swapped! (and the FP still wouldnt have sold.) No huge plans yet. If it earns a permanent spot in my tiny collection (3-4) then It will likely receive a full restore including clearcoat but it doesn't need one right now. I'll be bulletproofing the electronics but thats all i have planned for now

#1411 6 years ago

Its gonna be a while. Im in europe on my honeymoon for two weeks. Only had time to drop it in its lineup spot. Couldnt set it up

#1412 6 years ago

I cant verify this is the correct part right now, but it should set you on the right track

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-900901

#1417 6 years ago

High speed is great. The getaway is basicly HS with a a gimmick and its one of my favorites. HS has the better playfield but im a sucker for good code/dmd

#1418 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Yes thank you, that is what I am looking for.
McSquibb: congratulations on the marriage! FPII makes a good gift!

Thanks!

#1419 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I think he is talking about the switch. Like this one but they are out of stock at marco. There is the part number though.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SW-1A-124

Yuuup definitely read that wrong. Thanks for correcting me

2 weeks later
#1468 6 years ago

Has anyone ever looked into installing a headphone jack on a firepower (1 or 2?) I have a friend who is a chiptunes artist so I'm trying to researching getting the audio signal out of my firepower 2 to record so he can make a song with them. I see that headphone jack products exist, but nothing that I can find for games this old.

#1471 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

The ghetto way would be incredibly easy: desolder the two leads from the speaker, and attach them to the two leads of a mono headphone jack. Record your sounds, then reverse the process!

The ghetto way sounds like a great way to fry something. I'm not an expert but I know enough not to plug an amplified signal into a mic jack without research.

#1474 6 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Look for something called an "attenuating patch cord". Knocks the signal level from speaker down to something more manageable like line level.

so something like this?:

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Shielded-Attenuating-Audio-cable/dp/B001THXU8C

The bad reviews appear to be due to product mislabeling. it has RCA on one end instead of a 1/8th jack. Not a problem since we are splicing one end. So I would splice this directly onto the speaker and then line in to whatever I use to record?

#1476 6 years ago

Different topic:
My firepower 2 is treating balls that fail to enter shooter lane (by bouncing off the right wall back into where it ejects from) as drains. Is this normal switch operation? Its incredibly frustrating.

#1481 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Usually if you do not score it just kicks the ball back out without draining. When it does that do any points score? Possibly a switch is to close and the vibration scores a point and if treats it as a drain. If it does score, see how many points go up and check all the switches that score that amount of points.

It happens when I lock a ball. When it fails to kick out the second ball it drains me. I bent the metal tab and it hasn't failed to kick out since, but id still like to know if this is normal.

#1484 6 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I'll splice in the correct connector and plug in the cable.

#1486 6 years ago

I successfully added speech to my Firepower 2 tonight! I love it!
In case anyone attempts this in the future...

I used a new speech board from pinballpcb (With original firepower roms):
http://www.pinballpcb.com/SpeechBoard.html
My sound board did not have the 40(?) pin connector but had the mounting holes for it. I asked the guys at pinballpcb if they carried those connectors and they included one with my order.
once I got the connector and speech board installed it didn't work, some research showed I needed to cut the W1 jumper (its actually a 0 ohm resistor)
Then I flipped switch #2 on top of the sound board and that enabled speech. (the one closer to the edge of the board)

Speech FP2 (resized).jpgSpeech FP2 (resized).jpg

#1489 6 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Do the sounds and speech make sense during gameplay? I have always toyed with the idea, but never followed through. Can you post a quick video of gamplay?
Mike

They make enough sense to be worth it.
Says firepower when it starts. Says fire when you complete abcd or fir. Says power if you complete epo or wer. Says you win you destroyed firepower at game over, and says mission accomplished on high score. That's as far as I got. I'll take a video tomorrow

#1492 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

That's pretty neat that you can do that. I wonder how the game knows to call for those sounds when certain conditions have been met if it was not originally equipped with voice.

Its because they simply reused and edited the code for firepower to make firepower 2. The original callouts for speech were left in because why remove them?

#1494 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Simplicity at it's best. Why waste money re-editing the code?

Especially since they omitted the speech board to save money anyway.

2 weeks later
#1504 6 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Look for something called an "attenuating patch cord". Knocks the signal level from speaker down to something more manageable like line level.

So I got this cable and spliced in into the speaker but I get nothing from the line in. Do I need to remove the speaker from the setup and plug the attenuating cord directly into the source from the board? I currently just have an RCA jack soldered to the speaker terminals

#1505 6 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

So I got this cable and spliced in into the speaker but I get nothing from the line in. Do I need to remove the speaker from the setup and plug the attenuating cord directly into the source from the board? I currently just have an RCA jack soldered to the speaker terminals

Nevermind. I got it working. I tossed out the cheap attenuating cord, set the volume to minimum, made a RCA to sound board header plug and hooked it straight to the line in with an RCA to 1/8 jack cord. I used a cheap USB sound card to record to isolate my expensive laptop from this ghetto attempt but it worked. I adjusted the volume to be slightly less that minimum so it was audible yet not maxed out and did a proof of concept recording. Worked like a charm.

Bonus: using the "listen to this device" checkbox in windows sound recording options allows the pin to play its sounds in real time through a computer. This could allow for a pin to be hooked up to a high end home theater that it happened to be in the same room as or something else like that without having to buy an expensive kit or board.

#1507 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hello Firepower folks! This is Bruce from Outside Edge.... and we are working on a project for PPS to produce shiny new back glasses. Through our research and provided specimens from the field we have (for about the millionth time) uncovered apparent variations that exist in the originals. This leaves us troubled, as there will only be a run produced to match one or the other. Look at my picture..... I have actually seen more of the "dark red" versions so far than the more "bright red" ... leading me to believe the darker is probably the one that there are more of (and possibly expected by the would be buyer)..... HOWEVER... I have traded emails with Greg Freres... and he believes that the BRIGHTER glass is what was intended. I also have to agree that the bright red is a better looking glass.
That being said... please respond with some opinions as to which we should match. I am either going to disappoint the "dark red" camp... or the "bright red camp" ... but I have o choose one.

Bright red looks better.

No love for Firepower 2?

1 month later
#1637 6 years ago

I just booted my firepower II up after moving last month. When I did, magic smoke started coming out if the pinitech NVRAM module I had installed. Any idea what could have cause this? No other obvious damage, when it first booted it seemed fine. Burned up after about 30 seconds of being on.

#1639 6 years ago

Doesn't work. The NVRAM module is very burned up. sorry if that wasn't clear.

1 week later
#1646 6 years ago

So no one is making repro backglasses? My firepower 2 back glass flaked a ton during my move. Anyone have any high res scans of back glass art?

#1651 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Speaking of sound, I was playing last night and noticed that the sound would go muffled for 5 seconds here and there and then go back to normal. Anyone know what might be causing that? This is my only 80s Williams so I don’t have much experience with them.

Check your volume pot. If it happens for a bit when you turn it you need a new one.

1 month later
#1754 6 years ago

Has anyone attempted mylar removal on a firepower 2? Mine has full lower play field mylar, and its bubbling on the bonus inserts leading to erratic ball behaviour that affects gameplay. I'd like to remove the mylar and clearcoat it, but I've heard paint likes to come up a lot on older Williams games. I've seen the pictures of firepower 1 mylar removal posted here. Wondering if that 3 years made any difference. I had no issues doing a 1990 rollergames.

1 month later
#1862 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Ok, well, I thought that there was someone who was interested in the play field that I removed, but they backed out of the deal/haven't responded. So, I'm putting it out there: anyone who is interested in restoring the thing, I'm more than happy to sell it. I'd prefer that it was local so that shipping isn't an issue. Alternatively, I'll be attending Pintastic in MA this June, so if you can wait till then, I can just bring it with me. I can post more details about it here if you ask, and I'll be forthcoming to everyone here. Please, if you have general questions, write back here so that others who are interested can see the same answers. A few general tidbits:
- I was playing on this until I finished my restored play field. It is straight, not warped, and generally in good repair with no structural defects.
- The paint is not planked or chipping/flaking. It should be a good candidate for clear coating.
- It will include all of the lane guides, except the one that leads into the left ball lock (I only had one to restore).
- Except for the harness/components, I will throw in any additional equipment that you may want (harness points, red posts, shooter cover, etc) that I have extra of, included in the price.
- The GI circuit is functional, all I did was desolder the harness from it.
- So far as I can tell, there are no overtly broken inserts.
Please see the attached pictures as well.

If no one buys this by the end of pintastic for restoration purposes then ill toss you some $ and use it as a wall hanger.

2 weeks later
#1902 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

I replaced them temporarily with 2.5 instead of 1.25A (since I just need more 1.25s). The solenoids now work fine.

Do NOT do this. You should never overfuse a circuit especially one that is acting suspect like yours. This could cause permanent damage to your game. If you don't have the proper 1.25A fuse, you can temporarily use a lower rated one (like 1A) without risk. But a 2.5 A fuse is not safe to use here.

1 month later
#2008 6 years ago

I wish there was custom code being written for FP2... or that I had any idea how to do it myself

1 month later
#2060 5 years ago

If they were just rebuild I'd suspect the EOS isn't gapped properly as oppose to it being bad. You always need to adjust new EOS switches after a rebuild. If that doesn't work, make sure the solder connections to the coil are thick and solid with no fraying wires. If the wire can't get the full current to the coil you get weak flippers and sometimes blown fuses.

#2070 5 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Very happy to end up with one of these, it is missing all the boards and backglass, but the seller might have some boards laying around *fingers crossed
If anyone has replaced their and has one with a bit of flaking I might be interested

There has been a FP backglass on craigslist in MA for months now for $50. Maybe try there?

1 week later
#2085 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Anybody have a playfield scan they can share? I'm contemplating repainting my playfield...

I believe there are some nice playfield scans posted in this thread on an earlier page.

2 weeks later
#2109 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Anyone going to Pintastic in Mass this June?

I'll be there

#2115 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Are you bringing the FPII you picked up there last year? I'm bringing my FP along.

nah, I'm leaving that one at home. I need another year with it at least I'm bringing my star wars pro hoping someone looking for a NIB wants to save a few hundred $

1 week later
#2149 5 years ago

I wish firepower 2 got enough love to have fancy custom roms with missions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcsquid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club?tu=mcsquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.