IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 10 years ago

I also have the brick bottom. In addition, mine seems to have a strange cheap perfume like scent coming from there, noticable whenever the coin door is open or the playfield is raised. Don't really look forward to pulling the playfield up.

I'm wondering if this is just with mine or if anyone else's has this scent that may be from that particular material?

#66 10 years ago

Ok, someone has sprayed deodorizer in my cab at some point, will try to get rid if it...

#95 10 years ago

I found around 5.2 just right on my Firepower. Tried around 6 to 6.5 which is what seems to be the recommended setting.

Found the shot to the top lock impossible at 6.5 & also at around 6 when cradling the ball & I also felt that it was generally too fast around the flipper area to control the ball properly.

My flippers are fully rebuit with 38 to 40 volts present & are very powerful.

At 5.2 can make the distance to the lock no problem when cradling the ball, but still is a difficult shot. (How it should be)

One adjustment I made that made the most difference to the shot was changing the angle of the flippers, moving them in a downward direction with the bottom of the bat pretty much lining up to the factory hole guides (without rubbers on). Before i made this this flipper adjustment I could not make the lock from a cradled ball even at 5.2.

To the eye, the flipper angles almost don't look right, a bit too much downward angle, but I think this is correct with the hole guides, more importantly makes the shot set there.

I found when I checked the angles on my Bally games, which I had only ever set up the angles by what felt right & not by measuring angles before, i found they were all around 5 degrees.

3 months later
#187 9 years ago

I wonder about using a lithium back-up battery in a williams system 6 (or other) safety wise.

I had a situation where my gorgar AA batteries were going bad only after a few months of replacement & had started too leak, turns out the blocking diode had failed & so the batteries received a charge causing them to fail & leak.

If you have a lithium battery as a back-up & the blocking diode fails allowing the battery to recieve a constant charge, from what I have read these batteries have a high possibility of exploding if charged.

So in essence reliance is solely on the blocking diode as the only safety measure?

I imagine these batteries are used in many other devices as a back-up power from new & I guess their is a safety measure in place so the battery does not get charged, maybe just a blocking diode?

9 months later
#358 8 years ago

One gameplay difference between the proto & stand-up target version according to the flyer is only one bank of three drop targets needs to be made to light the shield as opposed to both banks of the stand-up targets needed to light the shield feature on the regular production version.

Unless it is a factory setting that can be changed for only one bank needed to light the shield?

10 months later
#683 7 years ago
Quoted from riverinapinball:

Does anyone know if CPR have any plans to do another run of these playfields. I would be in for one, for sure.
Mine is ok , but would love a new one.

JPD has a new CPR FP playfield for sale, not marked as sold yet.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/80519-FIREPOWER-playfield

1 month later
#756 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I recently picked up a NOS back glass, allegedly from an artist estate and never used in a game. It's virtually flawless except for a few minor imperfections.
Anyway, comparing it to my original, the colors are different. My original has more of a reddish hue, but the other has more yellow and better contrast in the words, as well as thicker mirrored edges around the lettering, etc.
Sorry for the horrible photo, I never had time for photos until late last night and lousy indoor lighting is my potato cam's enemy...
... Anyway, does anyone know the history of these differences?

I think any differences are because they are from a different batch and maybe some colour changes over time on your original. It is definitely an original & not a repro/re-run as stated because it is the same thickness & weight as the original & not on thinner glass as the re-runs were. The Williams official backglass re-run (as has been mentioned & can be seen) has the solid yellow colour behind the lettering & also the wings on the jets are a much lighter blue on the repro compared to the original.

I was looking at buying that NOS backglass, but I was concerned about the fact the seller hadn't shipped a glass before & also the final cost (after factoring the cost of a third party freight forwarder) to get it to Australia would have been about $700.00!

Actually, as far as re-runs on Firepower backglass go, there was yet another earlier official Williams Firepower backglass re-run done sometime in the 80s. (I have one) That one is almost identical to the original except was on screened on thinner glass & one difference with the graphics, the "Firepower" lettering & some borders are pink instead of red!

Here is an example of one of these that sold on ebay recently, the pink seen is not the red faded, that's how they were made. The ink on these re-runs glasses was sealed, that's why that one looks so nice without any flaking like most of the originals.

ebay.com link: Pinball machine Williams fire power backglass Bally Williams Gottlieb Stern

3 months later
#927 7 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I just installed a pf protector i got last week. I couldnt be happier with it. My cupped/raised inserts are no longer an issue, plays fast and smoooooth. Plus it looks fantastic!
Here's a few pics...shiney!

Thanks for the review on the Firepower protector, cupped inserts are a big problem with my Firepower with the 1-20 cupped inserts in particular affecting the ball trajectory significantly causing a drain. I was hoping the protector would help this as an alternative to removing all the inserts & filling/sanding them ect.

Mata Hari is another game with a similar frustrating problem with the bonus inserts.

6 months later
#1279 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

After owning a CPR Firepower for two years, I *finally* got all the parts together, printed out the instructions, and gathered about 15 hours of time, and installed drops on my Firepower this week, and booted it up tonight. Zero adjustments were required on first game.
I promise a full write up with pics but *when* I'll make time for it, I don't know. I've got to put some games on this thing.
I'm... speechless.
-mof

Keen to hear a review on how it plays. I plan to do one soon, I have a spare Firepower playfield I bought for a retrofit & now have all the parts I need now to do it.

#1292 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

You be the judge...
-mof
» YouTube video

Thanks for the review & vid. previously all I had really heard was it played slower with drops, glad it's not the case. lots of positives compared to stand-ups. The fast ball rebound from the rubber when the target is dropped is great too. I hadn't thought of that. I have the siegecraft boards for mine too, glad to hear they are efficient.

4 months later
#1517 6 years ago

I have the lighter coloured glass, which actually look more pink, maybe faded over time. However, mine is an official Williams repro backglass that was done around 1988 I understand, it's easy to tell, as the glass is thinner than the original.

Bruce, if both those examples you have shown have glass the same thickness, then their must have been the two colour variations from new. If the lighter coloured version backglass has thinner glass, then that also is one of the Williams 80's repros & not an original.

Nearly every Firepower backglass I have seen is the darker red version, including a NOS glass sold here a few months ago.

I much prefer the dark red, I think the lighter red will look too light backlit. I certainly don't like how mine looks. I think it is important to make comparisons when backlit. I tend to agree the lighter red looks better laid out on a table next to the dark red, but backlit the red looks nicer (to me anyway).

Here is how mine looks...

IMG_7415 (resized).JPGIMG_7415 (resized).JPG
IMG_7402 (resized).JPGIMG_7402 (resized).JPG
IMG_7416 (resized).JPGIMG_7416 (resized).JPG
IMG_7417 (resized).JPGIMG_7417 (resized).JPG

#1519 6 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Doesn't Mayfair still have the reproduction mirrored still available?

They may still have some, but they look quite different to an original, with the main difference being a solid yellow behind the Firepower lettering. Their has been a need ever since to get a spot on repro.

This is how the Mayfair version looks...

firepower glass new (resized).jpgfirepower glass new (resized).jpg

#1528 6 years ago

Looking at the Firepower flyer, the backglass looks like the orange version...

#1543 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Thanks for the congrats fellas...
First observations after an hour of play:
1. "It plays slower with drops" is a myth, not sure why someone would start or reinforce it -- I could stop here.
2. When 2 drops are down, it of course plays faster than standups when you brick into a rubber
3. You frequently catch 2 at a time, which is really cool -- haven't seen a richochet of a 3 sweep yet
4. You can catch an edge to drop the one you need, which is really cool
5. It feels good to play drops (that's subjective to what I love in pinball)
6. You get the "thunk" of the 70's drops resetting, and that's a good feeling
7. You can "kiss" one with a slow-roll and it will drop and it's cool
...It is (like standups) that one bank will reset after you've earned them all -- so sometimes the User-Experience of the drops (being reset) and the controlled lamps (being out) are out of sync. That little oddity is well worth all the plusses.
-mof

I have just done a retrofit, love it with drop targets. I agree with all your points. The only extras I would add is:

In particular, just catching the edge of drop 6 with the ball continuing through to the lock when it's lit, especially when it is the last lock to release multiball. I could never do this shot with stand ups.

As you complete the last lock (any lock) for multiball, both banks reset before the countdown, just sounds & looks nice/right.

I have noticed that sometimes only when in multiball one target, usually the same one, but not always, does not register. The contacts are solid & work 100% when not in multiball.

Have you noticed this? I did see another youtube vid with a Firepower with drops, & noticed one of the targets also didn't register when in multiball.

I have used a tiny amount of teflon grease on the contacts, I am wondering if it is better to run them dry? not sure if that has anything to do with it.

3 months later
#1795 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

All i can say is, i'm impressed problem fixed in less than an hour.
I knew right out of the box there was something wrong, contacted Rick and he made it right.
thanks to Outsidedge for the fast reply, that's great customer service right there people.
i'll be waiting for the good glass. you guys rock!

That's really great to hear.

3 weeks later
#1848 6 years ago

Received my repro Firepower backglass the other day, Looks fantastic, top quality work, waited a long time for a correct repro, love it, thanks to outsidedge & Rick.

#1859 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I've used the frosted LEDs and they seem to work the best for my taste as they seem to be a bit softer and spread the light a bit more.

That answers my question, looks great with the leds in terms of even lighting & spread & the coloured leds enhance the backglass nicely. I found using the #47 globes I already had in my game with the repro backglass the filament in the globes shone through, creating sort of hot spots just with the filaments as can be seen as dots in the pic if you look on the jet wings & Firepower letters.

So easily adjusted with leds to get the lighting perfect.

As I stated in an earlier post, mine looks excellent overall.

IMG_7046 (resized).JPGIMG_7046 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#1992 6 years ago

Overall I am very happy with my new repro backglass, I think the colours are generally really great both unlit & lit & certainly as good as you will get compared to others I have seen. One thing I noticed however on mine was using standard #47 bulbs all the filaments of the bulbs could be seen through the glass, as spots which I found it a bit distracting to otherwise a perfect backglass & I just wanted to try to get the lighting looking spot on for me.

I tried warm white leds which stood out more, in the end I tried white bulb caps/condoms on all the #47 bulbs, this worked great, it diffused the filament spotting, I think it looks spot on now.

I did a comparison with just switching the bulbs behind the "E & R" letters only.

First pic is general lighting with the caps on.

Second pic is with leds (bright spots that can be seen in the middle of the letters are not reflections & the letters went a bit pink too)

Third pic is with #47 bulbs with caps on, (caps are on the other bulbs as well) looks perfect

Fourth pic is with straight #47 bulbs (bright spots that can be seen in the middle of the letters are not reflections)

Fifth pic is an overall shot with the caps on the #47 globes, looks excellent (their are some reflections)

IMG_7211 (resized).JPGIMG_7211 (resized).JPG
IMG_7210 (resized).JPGIMG_7210 (resized).JPG
IMG_7191 (resized).JPGIMG_7191 (resized).JPG
IMG_7193 (resized).JPGIMG_7193 (resized).JPG

IMG_7217 (resized).JPGIMG_7217 (resized).JPG

#1994 6 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

On that old one, you could actually see the filaments of the bulbs if you looked closely. The one in your game looks much better, at least from the pics!

Yes that looks worse from that pic, it is more noticeable in person than the pic, the majority of the other backboard bulb filaments can be seen to a degree as well which makes it distracting, or maybe I am just too fussy! I tend to look for perfection where possible, which I have found with this backglass lighting.

3 months later
#2129 5 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

and the white mask on top of all the ink is thin and doesn't cover the entire BG so it let's the LED bulbs' points of light shine through resulting in very uneven and distracting light. You can actually see the SMD's through the BG

The thin white mask is exactly what I wasn’t happy with. Whether using leds & incandescent globes their was the distracting pinpointing as a result.

To address the pinpointing from the globes (I have used incandescent globes) you need to install condoms on all the globes. Looks fine then. Only thing is it dims the brightness of the backglass overall a bit.

2 months later
#2257 5 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Dream come true. Put them next to each other, one with stand ups and one with drop targets

I agree, that would be great. I have opted for the next best thing - two Firepower playfields, One with stand ups & one with drop targets. It only take a few minutes to swap them over. I have to say both play very differently, I much prefer the drops.

#2263 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

The drop targets are easy to install? I figured you would need new code or something to trigger the reset? Perhaps this is simply a function of the drop target system?

Also, where do you get matching drops for Firepower? Was the game really designed for drops, but the normal targets were used to save money?

I did the conversion as per the link above (from Mark's pinball pages). The code for the drop target bank reset coils exists in the programming for all the production games. Also the drop target reset coil wiring is present in the backbox up to the playfield connector (but wiring & terminals are not present in the playfield connector & loom).

You can see on the Firepower flyer the game has drop targets, but was changed in production to stand ups due to unreliability of the drops I believe.

After playing the game with drops for sometime I find the flow of the ball feels right, to me, hitting the stand ups the ball is too random in trajectory & too fast on the rebound, quite often no control of the ball. Hitting the drops you can control the ball or predict where it will go. This feels like it should be the way the game plays.

Gameplay with the drops still plays plenty fast enough. Does not feel slow, especially when you get a rebound from the rubber on a dropped target.

If unsure, I think the best idea would be to do the conversion without the cut outs for the 10 point switches, that way you can gauge how you like it, if you don't you can reverse it. If you prefer you can do the cut outs later as it's permanent.

All you need is any system 3-6 drop target assemblies (not system 7 or later) you can buy the correct Firepower prototype decals for them easily from a few vendors.

I actually cut down a 5 bank target bank to a 3 bank, result is the same, gives a bit more scope on finding some used banks (either a 3, 4 or 5 bank will work).

Another thing to consider is using setting up a double horseshoe wiper for the targets. One regular horseshoe wiper with the two contacts, doubled up with another contactless horseshoe wiper behind it, increasing the tension (x2), you can simply file off the contacts or carefully drill the back side of the contacts on an existing wiper for the back one. a single horseshoe will go out of adjustment easily, this is the big problem with them.

In a year or so since I did the conversion & used double wipers I haven't needed to adjust my horseshoe connectors once & that's with plenty of games played. The targets also drop fine with the extra tension, no need to change the springs, I think the originals just didn't have the right tension for reliability.

I also tried the new wipers that are available & I found using a single one they also soon went out of adjustment, tension wise, so I prefer doubled up original wipers.

You can see the pics of the doubled up wipers here & some more info...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-drop-target-wiring-help-needed

#2267 5 years ago

You'll notice on regular Firepowers there is a thick blue edge at the front of those plastics where they simply added material and did not change the original artwork other than to add that blue edge.

I had never noticed that! yes, the blue edge overhangs with the drops. It doesn't look right, I'm going to have to find a used pair of plastics & cut them down & create the clear border at the front edge.
P1030387 (resized).JPGP1030387 (resized).JPG

#2269 5 years ago

and did not change the original artwork other than to add that blue edge.

Looks like their was one difference with the prototype art on the left target plastic - their is the word "try"on it where production plastics are blank there

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=856&picno=66360

#2271 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Doooooo ittttttttt..........

+1

#2279 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

In the article about the conversion I thought they mentioned how much lower scores were with the drop conversion.

My scores really are not that different from playing before with the stand ups, I find it's still hard, I can't master it, I just find it's basically more fun & flows better with drops, but subjective of course.

#2280 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

In that same photo, the art on the target inserts is different too. Rather, the numbers are in a different and bold faced font that almost fills the entire arrow. I wonder how that looks lit up? Regardless, that's not quite as easy a change to replicate!

I hadn't noticed that either - interesting.

#2286 5 years ago

Looks like Kevin at CPR is going to make some of the prototype drop target playfield plastics that will be added to new repro sets when done.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-floodgates-open-plastics-amp-glasses-releases/page/7#post-4521235

post # 303.

That's great!

Looking at the word "'try" that is on the prototype left target plastic here, it's strange as it is not on other prototype plastics their are pics of, or on the plastic depicted on the flyer which is blank, different font to the rest as well, but it definitely looks like it's factory screened & not done by someone adding the custom font somehow? They must have just tried a few with the word & dropped the idea? But it does look right to me.
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=856&picno=66361&zoom=1

4 months later
#2617 5 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

I bought the Mayfair at Pintastic for I think $300 and had it for a couple of years and loved it. I then bought the Planetary version thinking it would be an upgrade but I hated it. The ink is too thin and some of the reds are pinkish so it's sitting in the box and the Mayfair is back in. I did like the blue and the green on the ships of the PPS version but to me the Mayfair is much better.

I also found with the Planetary repro the ink was thin causing obvious spotting. I placed the white condom/caps on the #47 globes, the end result looked pretty much spot on to how it should to me, only slightly dimmer overall due to the caps. The colours seemed to be correct on my glass. Very happy with it, I prefer this version.

#2618 5 years ago

double post

#2620 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Great info about the back glass everyone…thank you!

Here is how the Planetary backglass looks with #47 incandescants (without condoms on the globes). Looks close to the original IMO, if you don't like the spotting like you can see in this pic install the condoms on the globes to address this.

One other thing I noticed with the Mayfair glass is the jets are a very pale blue when backlit - the Planetary blue looks correct as per original.
IMG_7046 (resized).JPGIMG_7046 (resized).JPG

3 months later
#2859 5 years ago

Kevin at CPR has just enhanced the Firepower plastic set to now include the prototype version plastics. The proto plastic version is smaller than the stand-up counterparts which is correct for drop setups & also has the word "try" included which is not on production plastics.

If you have a retro-fit you will know how using the bigger standard stand-up target plastics just doesn't look right with the overhang, so these should look great.

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/firepower/

They look spot on just like the protos that can be seen here:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=856&picno=66361

Thanks Kevin!

3 months later
#2978 4 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

It was stored for 30 years (or so I was told) and they left the good ol Eveready batteries in it all those years!

I remember that style of Eveready batteries form the 80s, so, 30 plus years would be correct. Pretty rare to find a game these days that has been stored for that long, most have been unearthed by now.

The container Gorgar from Germany I bought in 2009 had apparently been in storage since 1985, batteries were out, but with the amount of settled dust, no playfield wear with original shiny factory playfield laquer, original flipper coils & how tight it played seemed consistant with only just a few years of play.

If you want to replace the Backglass at some point, the repros from planetary pinball are excellent.

#2979 4 years ago

The CPR repro playfield plastics which now include the Proto version drop target plastics look great! Now looks right with drops.

Above pic is the original prototype plastics (image from ipdb) which are smaller without the blue overhang (that was added for the regular standup targets)

Below pic is mine with the CPR proto plastics.

firepower (resized).pngfirepower (resized).pngIMG_0265 (resized).JPGIMG_0265 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#3005 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Well then that is good news! There is hope for this to be back in stock! =)

Hopefully they will have restock the same repros made by outside edge. They are excellent & look very close to an original glass. The only difference I really noticed was spotting, both with #47 globes & with leds. Maybe their was some difference with ink thickness compared to the originals resulting in this.

A bit of spotting wouldn't be an issue for most people, but I am pretty fussy, so I found putting white condoms on all the #47 backglass bulbs fixed the spotting & looked perfect.

1 month later
#3095 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I was wondering if anyone has seen this on a firepower and why? My firepower has a piece of embossed wood paneling for the bottom and a tag on the right hand side that says prop? I was told they would use any wood lying around to get games out the door but wasn't sure of that? I was wondering if mine is special?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

it's usually the brick pattern panel.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/2#post-1574679

#3096 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I was wondering if anyone has seen this on a firepower and why? My firepower has a piece of embossed wood paneling for the bottom and a tag on the right hand side that says prop? I was told they would use any wood lying around to get games out the door but wasn't sure of that? I was wondering if mine is special?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The power cord is coming out through the left side vent hole which is not correct as it should go through the backbox neck with cord having a loose loop knot to catch in case it's pulled - that most likely routed through there as it's easier when someone replaced the cord.

3 months later
#3255 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Does anyone have suggestions beyond this list?

You can add custom roms to add new rules & also convert to 7 digit displays.

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

Also, if you swap to drop targets (which I would recommend) the latest CPR Firepower playfield plastics sets include the regular stand up target plastics as well as some smaller version prototype plastics for drop targets use.

#3264 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Standup targets (especially with new foam) play much faster than the drop version. This is one case IMO that the original style (drops) does not play as well as the modified/cheaper standups.

That seems to be what most people think about the drops - it plays slower therefore not as good, I must be in the minority here, I find that with drops it's fast enough, in fact the speed & flow feels just right as you can predict & control the ball better than with stand ups, furthermore, when you hit the rubber where a target has dropped, it rebounds very fast. With the standups I found the ball rebounded fast which is great but the ball trajectory was unpredictable.

I won't be going back to standups, but of course views on this topic are subjective.

2 weeks later
#3311 4 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

The outlane ball has about an 1/16” between the wall and guide.

Mine is tight, if I loosen the guide screw, move the guide to the left, hold & tighten, the ball gets stuck, move it to the right & tighten about .8 - 1mm gap, the ball can pass - I think is intentional by design to either have the tight "funnel" effect when draining, or to guide the ball better for when the ball is launched when kicked back.

2 months later
#3506 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Has anyone had experience with a Firepower backglass that was reproduced by Williams in 1996?

Their were 2 official repro backglasses make, one in 1996 & another possibly earlier or in the 90s as well? I have one version which the glass is thinner & the "Firepower" lettering at the top is pink not red - not from fade as I read they were printed with pink instead. Otherwise very close to an original. The other has fade on top as clearly orange rather than red (as mentioned)

Quoted from slochar:

You sure that wasn't one of the Alan Meyer repro's from that time period? (The fade at the top was more orange than red, and there wasn't as good as/any dithering in the color fade)

It appears that Alan Meyer's is the version with the orange fade. I wonder who did the other "pink" version

#3515 3 years ago

pinkish lettering instead of red, and thin glass. Regular 44/47 bulbs hot spot the crap out of this glass.

The pink lettering really bothered me every time I played the game, & knowing it was printed on thin glass added to this as well.

Really happy with the repro glass from PPS. I think the colours are excellent & hard to ultimately compare to an original anyway due to some colour variations in the original glasses produced. The only aspect I could fault was some minor bulb hot spots with using either #47 or LEDs.

Easily overcome with fitting white silicone caps on the #47 globes - the result looks perfect IMO.

3 weeks later
#3546 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

is there a substitute for the Speech Module IC1 55516 CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE SLOPE DELTA MODULATOR?
Trying to find all the chips related to voice to replace if the probe finds a bad one and this modulator seems like a tricky one to find

3 different chips can be used - all hard to find.

http://www.arcadechips.com/product_info.php?products_id=51

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HC1-55564-5-Harris-Continuously-Variable-Slope-Delta-Modulator-CERDIP-14/202367366535?hash=item2f1e08f587:g:NB4AAOSw91hbRruF

3 months later
#3742 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Where is everyone getting the parts?
I see the circuit boards on marcos but are the targets and rest of the mechs from another game?

You can find complete target banks on ebay every now & then & they go pretty cheap really - quite often with red targets, Gorgar banks are ideal. Red targets can be bought from Marco. You can also cut down a 5 or 4 bank target as well is you can't find 3 banks. I cut down a 5 bank & you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

It's going to be just as much fun without the 50 point switches if you are not confident to do it & also it can be converted back to stand ups without the cut-outs if you ever wanted to.

I love it with the drops!

2 years later
#4274 1 year ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I know the horseshoe contacts can be finnicky, so i may upgrade to the alternative NMP sensors that dont need the horshoe contacts.

The horseshoe contacts/wipers work fine and won't need adjusting for a long time if set up properly. What is important is you have two horseshoe wipers per target - the wiper in the back position is "contactless" & is their just to double the tension - the tension of a single wiper is not enough & usually causes a problem with making good contact after a while.

The target in the pic on the right has the two contact set up which is how they came from the factory.

The other thing is to have the target's wiper(s) tension adjusted right at the point where it still just drops nicely but doesn't visually look to be catching/dragging the target's fall too much. I usually over adjust the tension to start with then reduce the tension until the drop is just right.

I did my conversion a few years ago & I have never had to adjust any of the drop target wipers even once. Personally, I much prefer the way the game plays overall with the drops.

#4275 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The games with drops also have different sized plastics to accommodate the drop targets.

CPR repro sets have the smaller drop target prototype style plastics added in to their complete sets. Sometimes you can just buy a pair of these drop target plastics on their own on Ebay if someone buys a repro set and uses the standard plastics & does not need the extra proto plastics.

#4277 1 year ago

I may be able to get by with just buying a few PC boards.

Oh yeah, I forgot, on mine, I did replace the boards with the Siegecraft boards which added to making them very reliable overall - I also added a a tiny smear of Teflon lube to the boards too.

I love drop targets and in my mind it just makes sense that this game should have them. I've heard varied responses on how the drop targets affect game play. I guess I'll just have to see once I get a firepower and install these babies!

As Slochar mentioned a direct hit to a drop rebounds slower than a stand up, however a hit to the rubber where a drop is down bounces back super fast. Overall I find it balances out quite nicely & feels just right.

1 week later
#4282 1 year ago

Easiest way to spot them is the drop target plastics don't have that extra blue border at the leading edge. When Williams decided to go to standup targets, they did it quickie-style and didn't alter the artwork to enlarge the plastics to cover the gap, they just added that solid blue portion up front.

Yeah, once you know about the added on blue areas at the front it does look tacked on. Also the overhang you get with original plastics & drop targets doesn't look right.

7 months later
#4503 8 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Wouldn't this method eliminate a short in the switch matrix?

Better to leave that wire you removed in & unplug both 2J2 & 2J3 column & row switch plugs instead from the driver board (that go to the playfield switches) if it starts a game in attract mode then it's a board problem for sure.

Then run self test to the switch test mode & see if their is a stuck switch (with all balls out) if the credit switch number "03" comes up it confirms it's a problem with the driver board & not the playfield switch side. If no stuck switch number shows, issue/short will be on the playfield wiring/switch side.

#4507 8 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Agreed. My reasoning for not trying to remove both connectors is because Firepower wont start a game without seeing the trough switches as closed. Correct?

That's why I tried removing the credit wire only.

Maybe there's a way to trick the matrix into seeing those 3 trough switches as closed?

Yes, that's correct. To rule out switches/wiring 100% I like to separate the two & switch test first up.

#4516 8 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I'm going to pull the board this weekend and see if I can find anything unusual or out of spec in the switch columns/rows circuitry.

It's quite often a column/row 7408 or a 7802 chip that fails in some way. I have had one of the capacitors short in either a column or switch row. Good to test the resistor values & test the associated capacitors as well for a short.

Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I have a spare driver board out of a united pompeii shuffle bowler. It looks very similar. Think it can be used in Firepower?

Their is some discussion here about Williams driver board variants.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-type-of-williams-driver-board-5763-09464-00

#4520 7 months ago
Quoted from Notapinwiz:

Whould a playfield protector from playfield-protectors take care of that?

Yes, a protector will make a massive difference! I have one & make the game so much better to play - the ball glides over the cupped inserts. Particularly as the cupped centre bonus inserts on Firepower in particular tend to track the ball sometimes along the inserts to drain down the centre.

7 months later
#4668 16 days ago
Quoted from MooglyMoog:

I really love them. They don't seem to slow the game down too much, especially when you hit the rubber band behind a dropped target.

Game play is pretty much exactly the same. I really love hitting the drop targets. This is my only pinball currently, so having the extra features in firepower is really cool.

Agree, I much prefer the play with drops too.
The ball speed & trajectory from the drops feels just right to me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club?tu=joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.