IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider browne92.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 10 years ago

I'm an old EM fart, but the one SS I'd love to have is a Firepower.

1 year later
#269 9 years ago

I'm mostly an old EM guy, but I'd love to have a Firepower. Unfortunately, I live in a pinball (and most everything else) desert, so the chances aren't good I'll get one any time soon.

Quoted from mtmellum:

Hi all, a question on the left flipper ramp/lane. Anybody got any ideas as to the post part number at the top near the rear of the bumper? I am missing it and want to replace it?
Is it 02-3905, or something else? If somebody could post a close up of theirs, I'd be happy to track it from there.
Thanks!
SOLVED. It is a 02-4020 and not listed in the manual (that I could find). Bay Area amusements is out of stock, so it's find a suitable replacement or substitution.

Looks like a simple spacer. Anything special about it? Threaded inside? If some one could provide accurate measurements, or let me borrow one long enough to measure it, it would only take a few minutes to turn one.

6 months later
#411 8 years ago

Not sure I understood what you were asking for, but I hope these help:
DSC01392.JPGDSC01392.JPG
DSC01393.JPGDSC01393.JPG

Now maybe you can help me. I pulled the main ac fuse from my Firepower II, but before I could get my super magnifiers (it's hell to get old) to read what it was, I lost the fuse. The manual only says "ac fuse", and the label on the board is long gone. Can you tell me the value of it? I've got a 5 amp in it to chase my switch problems, but I don't think that's going to run it all.

1 week later
#436 8 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

It i has only a 10% difference between them and these caps have normally huge range that the actual value is say -5 to +10%.

More like -20% to +80% on big aluminum electrolytics, especially of that era. I agree, the smaller one should be fine.

1 month later
#479 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I bought a pile of hardware from someone on eBay parting out a Firepower just to get one. If I had to do it over, I would take the screw down to a hobby shop, purchase a piece of aluminum or brass tubing that fit the screw, cut to length, file the cut end and install.

If someone could get the part and a set of calipers in the same place and get me the measurements I could turn a few.

#489 8 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Just some stainless tubing, sized to pass that screw (#8?)

Quoted from Schwaggs:

I think it is a #4 screw which is hard to find that long.

So what I have at this point is no length, no outside diameter, and two guesses at an inside diameter. No spacers going to get made this way.

4 weeks later
#526 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Also agree with catboxer. Its tough to recoup the cost of a new PF, plastic set and LEDs on this title. So do it for your own enjoyment or for the love of the machine, not as an investment...

That's why pinball receipts go the same way as race car receipts... straight into the trash. I don't track or want to know how much I spend.

We have a couple of sayings in racing that probably apply equally to pinball:

Race car: A device that turns money into noise.

How to make a small fortune racing: Start with a large fortune.

4 months later
#684 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Burned up 10k resistor in position R5 (just above and slightly to the left of the display glass)

Yes, but those displays are high voltage and low current. There must be a short somewhere causing the resistor to burn.

1 month later
#769 7 years ago

Instead of sandpaper, consider a burnishing tool. It was made to do just that job.

burnishing_tool_(resized).pngburnishing_tool_(resized).png

#771 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Do not use a burnishing tool on low voltage, gold plated contacts such as are used on rollover switches and wire switches!
Burnishing tools are only for high current contact points like EOS and flipper switches.

Is this something new? I don't recall ever seeing gold plated contacts in a pin before. But then I haven't worked on anything newer than a Williams System 7.

1 week later
#777 7 years ago

Nickel plated steel, possibly with a top layer of chrome.

There's some very good information on the process here:

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

1 week later
#786 7 years ago
Quoted from EAZ:

Would someone post a picture of the inside of the cabinet of the front of the machine(behind the coin door)? I'm doing a full restore and need to know how the ground braid is tied into everything. I thought I took pictures but can't find them Any help would be appreciated.

FP or FP2?

2 months later
#937 7 years ago

When I click on the link, I get the bad site. Leave off the "www.", and I get to the real deal. Go figure.

3 weeks later
#995 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Everyone,
I found this guide online as to what compounds to use for buffing/polishing metal. Looks to be helpful. Anyone have experience with types of tools used other than drills or grinders? Does anyone know for sure what type of metal the legs are made of, or the other parts on the cabinet/playfield?
http://www.pjtool.com/jewelers-rouge-chart/

I've spent plenty of time on the business end of a buffing wheel. It's a slow process.

What you have is plated steel, a simple magnet test will tell you. Probably nickel plated. It could be chrome, but since nickel will polish out as shiny as chrome and chrome plating starts with multiple layers of nickel, they may not have paid the extra for chrome.

I know a lot of people think that if it shines, it's stainless steel. But I don't think you'll find much stainless on a pinball machine. Was really no need for the added expense.

3 months later
#1137 7 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

its a cpr play field i will post some photos when its back in the game, i have it out, looking for an issue that keeps randomly burning switch rows, so I'm replacing all the diodes and resistors, to eliminate those from the equation, just wanted to make sure nothing is missing.

Don't know what you mean by "burning switch rows", but those resistors won't stop the machine from functioning. They're there to suppress the arcing caused by high current switching and extend the life of the contacts. Only switches that directly control solenoids would need them. Switches that report back to the cpu have diodes.

2 months later
#1310 7 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Thanks I will check those caps. I am sure it is not an issue with the MPU as I recently replaced it and the display driver with a Rottendog combo board. The scrolling continued with the new board.
Mike

Look again. Is it scrolling (Characters stepping from left to right) or strobing (characters staying in position, but being displayed left to right)? If it's strobing, it's the bad caps. They're not filtering anymore, so you have the high voltage DC pulsing and it's arguing with the strobe rate of the display circuits.

Best of luck.

1 month later
#1377 6 years ago

You'll find is two sets of contacts on pop bumpers (or, as the documentation refers to them, Jet Bumpers). A low voltage set that sends a signal to the computer for scoring, and a high voltage, high current set to fire the pop bumper. The resistor/capacitor combination is on the high voltage set. It reduces arcing and helps to save the contacts. According to the schematics, it's 22uF.

2 months later
#1473 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Believe it or not, it really is simple and should not hurt anything. Heck, I'll do it and try for you. I've done it lots of times with other audio signals. However, if a real electronics expert wants to chime in, that will do, too!

Look for something called an "attenuating patch cord". Knocks the signal level from speaker down to something more manageable like line level.

#1483 6 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

so something like this?:
amazon.com link »
The bad reviews appear to be due to product mislabeling. it has RCA on one end instead of a 1/8th jack. Not a problem since we are splicing one end. So I would splice this directly onto the speaker and then line in to whatever I use to record?

Yes, but consider getting the appropriate connectors to hook it to, or clip leads. There are resistors in there somewhere, probably in one of the connectors. If you cut off the wrong connector, you defeat the purpose.

Side note: Phono is the correct term for the RCA plug. And the other end is a 1/8" phone. The reviewer didn't read closely. Phone describes the shape, not the size.

3 months later
#1714 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Thanks...yes, diodes. The play field I am swapping to has the glass variety, and one of them broke in half. I think I'll replace them all with the solid kinds.
By the way, where did you find that? In the schematic book, I see them all labeled individually, but I cannot find a table that lists what they are anywhere.

When you say the diodes are glass, that sounds more like the general purpose switching diodes used in the switch matrix, like a 1N914 or the 1N4148, which is glass.

If it's a counter EMF diode, across the coil, you have several choices. In the 1N4000 series general purpose rectifier, the last digit is the voltage rating. 1N4001 is 50 volt, 1N4007 is 1000 volt IIRC. But if the original is 1N4004, I wouldn't use anything less than that. I just keep 1N4007's handy. Then I don't have to worry about it.

Best of luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider browne92.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club?tu=browne92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.