IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bripin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#482 8 years ago
Quoted from thefunkpunk:

Turned it on and it works correctly, again. weird.

You should definitely inspect/reseat the infamous 40 pin connector along with reseating all other socketed chips.

#486 8 years ago
Quoted from thefunkpunk:

If anyone happens to have any resources that show what to look out for, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7

2 weeks later
#504 8 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I used the new Matrix system by Comet Pinball.

That looks awesome! Can you share the details of what you used?

#509 8 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I'm thinking about adding green LEDs behind each lock.

Do it. It looks awesome and thanks for the info!

(not the best picture)

IMG_5404.jpgIMG_5404.jpg

3 months later
#603 8 years ago

I updated the LED's in my Firepower last night. It's plenty bright now!

Untitled-1_(resized).jpgUntitled-1_(resized).jpg

#606 8 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Did you put lights under the apron?

Yes, Comet 7 SMD strips in warm white.

Quoted from catboxer:

Your GI looks pretty good for LEDs. What are you using?

Thanks. I used Comet twin 2835 frosted in sunlight white. Actually all the bulbs I used are from Comet. Thanks Art!

Quoted from catboxer:

Also look like you have piggy backed the lock lights to a flexy LED to light the saucer. That looks great.

Yeah I really like it. I saw a video where TNT did this so I shamelessly copied.

I'm also going to install Comet star post lights in the slings tonight to see if I like it.

#615 8 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Do you have better pictures of this? I'm interested in seeing exactly what you did.

I somehow don't have pictures from when I installed it put it's really easy. Just stick the LED's centered between the flippers at the top of the ball guide and fish the wires down to under the playfield and tie in to the the GI.

Quoted from dzorbas:

you can swap the pop bumper caps and put in Cointaker Afterbuner LEDs

I put these in my bumper caps.

http://www.cometpinball.com/Pinball-Pop-Bumper-LED-Light-p/11smdbmpring.htm

Quoted from dzorbas:

got a new backglass

Did you get it from mayfair? That's where I got mine at Pintastic.

Quoted from dzorbas:

it looks awesome!

It does!

#631 8 years ago

I used to have colored lights as well but recently I've gone plain Jane. I even added some more lights in the backbox!

Untitled-3_(resized).jpgUntitled-3_(resized).jpg

#636 8 years ago

Well it looks like I blew the 7406 by grounding GI power through the switch matrix. I was getting all sorts of switch closures. Whoops Does anyone know if I could've taken out the PIA as well or anything else? Thanks.

#637 8 years ago

Well, I socketed and replaced the 7406 at IC 18 and still got random switch closures. I then replaced the the PIA at IC11 and that fixed the problem. Is GI voltage enough to take out both chips or did I manage to get a higher (coil?) voltage into the switch matrix?

2 weeks later
#645 8 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

I have those two in my lineup as well (BoP and CBW)

You've got good taste Rob!

2 weeks later
#694 7 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Here's a quick video on how I did it.

Thanks for that video Jumping-Box. Art will especially appreciate it. I may even have some Comet strips on hand to duplicate that with some soldering. Imagine red/blue LED strips up and down the whole underside of the cab! Thanks again!

3 months later
#789 7 years ago

I'm having an odd issue during switch test. It is fine for a while in switch test and then randomly the machine will "die". All the special solenoids that are normally active (pops, slings and flippers) are then dead. Sometimes it will reset into attract and sometimes it'll make a random sound effect and/or fire some solenoids and then all the special solenoids are dead. A power cycle brings things back to normal. All voltages are fine and gameplay seems normal except that sometimes on balls 3-5 it'll take a few seconds to register end of ball and tally the bonus. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for any insight.

#797 7 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I've experienced this issue when the switches in the ball trough aren't set properly.

I've adjusted the switches and replaced one but I'll try again. Weird it only happens on balls 3-5.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

Do you have original CPU and driver boards? Have you replaced the 40 pin interconnect connector? Replaced or at least reflowed the header pins? Replaced ROM sockets?

barakandl took care of those items for the previous owner. Maybe I should pull the boards again and give them another more thorough check.

Thanks for the replies guys.

2 weeks later
#824 7 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

I've experienced this issue when the switches in the ball trough aren't set properly.
I've adjusted the switches and replaced one but I'll try again. Weird it only happens on balls 3-5.

As an update: I rebuilt the ball 2 switch with new blades because it suffered from the infamous backwards leaf switch syndrome and all is back to normal. As a reminder to all including myself, check all of your leaf switches to make sure the rivets have the correct orientation!

#826 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

A lot of times you can take apart the switch stack and correct the contacts and be fine. If you still have issues go ahead and replace switch.

I could've but there was a lot of wear on on the leaf opposing the rivet so I figured I'd start fresh. Thanks for replying.

1 week later
#850 7 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Question.
Should there be a wire ball guide on the right edge of the left ball lock?
Mof
I don't have one there.

I don't have one at the lower lock or at the upper middle right lock but I do have the holes. I wonder if they got lost along the way or were just not installed from the factory as a cost-cutting measure.

Quoted from mof:I have great luck with top right lock

Ha! I can't get this shot regularly at all and have been trying to figure out why. Sometimes it hits the lock but most times it just falls away. I've tried leveling, bending the metal guides, did a full flipper rebuild per the Vid thread, adjusted the spinner endlessly all to no avail. I've given up on it. If anyone has any other ideas I'd appreciate it.

3 weeks later
#909 7 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I just installed a pf protector i got last week.

I think I may go that route. It looks good. By the way, you should have a 3/4" rubber on those posts to the left of your pops.

1 week later
#961 7 years ago

Has anybody installed jumpers in place of the resistors in the switch matrix on their driver board? I saw the TNT video below where Todd said that this is a "recommended upgrade" to make the switches more responsive. Any truth to that?

#965 7 years ago

The legendary Todd N. Tuckey chimes in! Thanks for the clarification Todd!

#966 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Is that the mod to get rid of the zero ohm resistors?

Are you thinking of the MOSFET mod for the lamp matrix? If so that's a different mod but highly recommended!

1 year later
#1676 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

CPR has a re-run of plastics now listed as available on their website.

Thanks for the heads up. It doesn't look like the topper is included? Wasn't it in the last run?

5 months later
#2059 6 years ago
Quoted from Masspinballfan:

Firepower tech issue.

I just had this exact thing happen on mine. Bad/flakey EOS switch. Jumper it to see if you get full strength but don't hold the button for long or it will melt the coil. File EOS switch and readjust to make sure enough tension is applied while closed.

#2064 6 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I was having weak flipper. Up did the WPC flipper update now I can hit top lock with no problem.

Ha! I upgraded as well but I still have a real tough time hitting that top lock. I've tried everything to make it better but it's still so hard.

1 month later
#2128 5 years ago

I'm not happy with mine at all compared to the Mayfair that this was supposed to replace. The black inks at the perimeter is very thin, streaky and splotchy, the "red" in the score windows is more pink, and the white mask on top of all the ink is thin and doesn't cover the entire BG so it let's the LED bulbs' points of light shine through resulting in very uneven and distracting light. You can actually see the SMD's through the BG. I'm much happier with the Mayfair (except for the blues) which is why I got the newest version but I put the Mayfair back in. So now I've got an expensive doorstop. I contacted PPS but never heard back so I contacted Outside directly. To sum up, Bruce said he'd only heard from 2 people (including me) about issues and this is the best they have and a replacement would be the same. He admitted the blacks were thin but the red was a tough call to pick a hue from all of the sample original BG's so that pink hue is intentional. He also said they "may" do another run in in several months and I could get a replacement then....if it's run again. I'm not too hopeful.

6 months later
#2616 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Since the Mayfairs are probably more expensive which is better?

Or... is the cost difference worth the printing difference?

I bought the Mayfair at Pintastic for I think $300 and had it for a couple of years and loved it. I then bought the Planetary version thinking it would be an upgrade but I hated it. The ink is too thin and some of the reds are pinkish so it's sitting in the box and the Mayfair is back in. I did like the blue and the green on the ships of the PPS version but to me the Mayfair is much better.

5 months later
#2888 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Second issue is the left star rollover.

You also have the infamous reversed leaf switch issue on that star rollover switch. Many switches were made incorrectly at the factory with the riveted side on the inside of the switch. That gold plated round nub should be on the inside of the switch. Take it apart and reverse it and check ALL of your switches for same.

6 months later
#3149 4 years ago

Just a note: the "5X" is backwards so you'd have to edit it or find a correct version. Good luck!

#3154 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Good catch! (It’s actually just upside down)

The 5X actually needed to be flipped horizontally and then vertically.

Here are the two versions that were previously posted (large and small keylines).

Firepower Decals  5X Fix (Large Keylines).pdfFirepower Decals 5X Fix (Large Keylines).pdfFirepower Decals  5X Fix (Small Keylines).pdfFirepower Decals 5X Fix (Small Keylines).pdf
2 weeks later
#3187 4 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

This showed up today

Mmmmmmm! Mine should be here tomorrow! I didn't think of this before but I wonder if the playfield is silk screened or their new digital printing tech? I was assuming silk screened but there's no mention of the process used on their website.

#3190 4 years ago

Well, I've received it and I'm not too happy about the crazing on many of the inserts. CanadianPinball Do you have similar issues? Do you guys think this is acceptable for costing almost $1,000?

IMG_4925.JPGIMG_4925.JPGIMG_4926.JPGIMG_4926.JPGIMG_4927.JPGIMG_4927.JPGIMG_4928.JPGIMG_4928.JPGIMG_4929.JPGIMG_4929.JPG
1 year later
#4024 2 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Okay wait what head is this?

It looks like a Firepower II head on an original Firepower. What to do about the backglass since the original won’t fit?

10 months later
#4173 1 year ago
Quoted from d0n:

Bill Heatherly resto progressing
[quoted image]

That came off really cleanly. Do you know what removal method they used?

3 months later
#4202 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I have the red version and love them. I’m interest in what you mean about the vinyl. Can you show more about that?

You can also buy window tint at an auto parts store. I got this and it works OK. It’s maybe a little too dark but it’s better than it was.

https://www.autozone.com/sun-heat-protection/window-tint/p/gila-35-smoke-scratch-resistant-window-tint/458892_0_0

1 week later
#4208 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

While not exactly the same mounting style, these might work as cheaper replacements.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-round-stand-up-targets.html

I used these as replacements in my firepower and they worked great. And they cost $6.95 back in 2013 and nine years later they’re only a dollar more! Thanks Pinballlife!

4 months later
#4267 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

That may be from when the game was going to have drop targets.

Yup, that’s what it is! Put some drop targets in that sucker @AirWolfNH!

4 months later
#4417 11 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

The switches with the "backwards" contact is by design, not a production line error. See the parts catalog that illustrate a few switches like that.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

OMG! I am floored! They are backwards by design for Williams, Bally and Stern? What was the point? To ensure a definite contact point for a couple of years with the sharp back end of the rivet?

7 months later
#4561 3 months ago
Quoted from MooglyMoog:

Added a piece of cut vacuum hose to the plastic. Seems to have stopped ricochet from hitting the glass.
[quoted image]

You should try to straighten up your targets and also bend them forward so they don’t launch the balls in the air.

2 weeks later
#4583 3 months ago
Quoted from Notapinwiz:

In need of a little direction if someone has experienced something similar. Something appears to be failing after the machine warms up. We can play a few games and then sooner or later after the ball drains it won't eject another ball. Running the test that runs through the pops, trough eject, etc the balls eject fine. Power down and let it sit for a while and start it up again and we can play a few games again until it warms up. If nothing else I can borrow the flir temp camera from work to try and see what's getting hot if that might be the easiest route.

Check if the blades on your trough switches (and all of the switches in the game) are reversed. Many (most?) were incorrectly made with the blades of the switch reversed with the rivet side making contact to complete the circuit instead of the gold contact. It should be that both of the gold plated switch surfaces touch to complete the circuit not the black looking rivets on the back side.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bripin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club?tu=bripin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.