IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Clytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3739 3 years ago

For those who have done the conversion to drop targets, is it really worth the extra routing work for a 10 point target?

#3743 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I see the circuit boards on marcos but are the targets and rest of the mechs from another game?

I just put "wanted" ads up on Pinside, RGP, and Mr. Pinball. It didn't take too long to get people reaching out with some for sale.

4 weeks later
#3778 3 years ago
Quoted from jdemarti:

Hoping to get some assistance. I have a Firepower and everything works on it except for the speech. I checked all the troubleshooting guides and before I start changing chips I wanted to get some opinions. This is what I have done so far.
-Made sure the connections were good.
-I checked the dip switch on the sound board and made sure speech is enabled. it is in the proper setting.
-tried adjusting the pot on the speech board.
-I have an extra set of IC5, IC6 and IC7 chips for the speech board, swapped them out one at a time and tested. still no speech. (i am assuming the second set are good)
-Performed the diagnostics and it cycles through the different sounds fine (still no speech in diag mode).
-Tested all the solenoid channels on the sound board and they all work
-Can play the game and it has all the sounds, but no speech
Now, when I unplug the speech board and press the diagnostics on the sound board I don't get any sound at all, which if I read the troubleshooting guide correctly, it may be a problem with the MC6808 chip located in IC9. I don't mind spending the $9 to change it out to see if it fixes it, but wanted to see if it could be anything else.
Thank you in advance for your help
[quoted image]

I had success resolving this by replacing the two 8 pin audio mixer chips on the speech board. I can’t remember the chip number, right off.

1 week later
#3797 3 years ago

Hardtop is down, repopulation and modification to begin.

2D88B5B1-4DB2-4288-925F-46B5CF30DB53 (resized).jpg2D88B5B1-4DB2-4288-925F-46B5CF30DB53 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3814 3 years ago

Hey everyone, my FP playfield is missing the entire trough ejector assembly. According to the Williams 1980 parts catalogue, the game uses the B-7472-5R and B-7472-8 ejector assemblies. I know it uses both of these on the saucers but does it use one of them for the trough too? If so, which one? I guess later games used the C-9638 for this purpose.

LP6b2e2PSoG1yHBuDRkIOQ (resized).jpgLP6b2e2PSoG1yHBuDRkIOQ (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#3884 3 years ago

Tonight's progress on my Hardtop restore and drop conversion. These Metal-Mods pop decals are not easy to do but look pretty spiffy.

Ajw1hMFjSVyAubp8I2cymg (resized).jpgAjw1hMFjSVyAubp8I2cymg (resized).jpgQbnweOKyT%qtImMbIE6s7A (resized).jpgQbnweOKyT%qtImMbIE6s7A (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3896 3 years ago

Hardtop restore/drop target conversion complete.

IMG_7612 (resized).jpgIMG_7612 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#3916 3 years ago
Quoted from kwietsch:

some weeks ago i made a little upgrade
that was the best thing i did.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Same here! This is the power plant of my Williams system 3-6 multi-pin project. I can hit a couple of dip switches, swap the playfield and I have a new game playing. So far I have Flash and Firepower with drops. I'm working up a Hot Tip on the rotisserie right now.

IMG_7706 (resized).jpgIMG_7706 (resized).jpg
#3919 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Uhhh wow! That's something I never considered possible lol. Too many quirks, but this board smooths over most of that I suppose!

It takes care of a lot of it. I am working from a flash cabinet. I have had to swap a few pins and add some wiring to make it all work.

#3921 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are DIPs for? In a system 7 does the same or similar function as in 6?

The dips I'm referring to change the game. They allow me to switch from Flash to Firepower at the moment.

2 months later
#3973 3 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

Ordered a NW7 board. Going to be a few weeks. Now to find some custom music for it. Buckethead and Tool.

The jukebox feature is pretty neat. You can turn it on and off with the coin switch too. I rigged up a leaf switch to my coin reject button and tied it to the coin switch line.

IMG_8056 (resized).jpgIMG_8056 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3983 3 years ago
Quoted from DMack99:

Does anyone have experience using the NW7 3-for-1 board replacement offered by pinball-technology.com?
[quoted image]

I have the NW7 and an NB2. Both have been working great. The sound features on them are really neat too.

1 month later
#4021 2 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

NW7 board finally on the way.

I have my Firepower running in my NW7 multipin right now. It's running stereo with a sub. I'm amazed at how much low end information is in the original sound package. I'm planning to enhance it as well.

IMG_8359 (resized).jpgIMG_8359 (resized).jpg
#4026 2 years ago

Ha. I thought this picture might be confusing. So, it's a Flash cabinet and head. I had to do a bunch of modifications to make the Firepower 2 speaker panel and insert panel work in the Flash. I lowered the bottom studs so I could mount the six digit displays where the seven digit displays were. I am running system 3-6 games in the cabinet. Thats why I'm not using the seven digit displays. I had to run a satellite display for the credit/ball. The display driver would not fit on the front of the insert panel with everything else. The reason I'm using the FP2 speaker panel is so I could have a stereo pair of 6X9s in the speaker panel. Taylor at Reese Rails reproduced the speaker panel with cut outs for the 6x9s instead of the single round speaker. Why stereo when the output is mono? You can order a stereo version of the NW7 3 in 1 board. Yes, the original sounds are mono. However, the NW7 allows you to swap out sounds like a Pinsound board. I am going to add some panning effects and add some new sounds to the original sound package.

#4029 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

who sellls the nice chrome firepower jet bump caps?

Metal mods sells chome decals to put on whatever pop cap you want.

6 months later
#4098 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

It's gonna be awhile before it actually plays but excited to join the club nonetheless.
[quoted image]

Cat bonus points!

3 months later
#4162 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

Unfortunately I have to remove everything anyway. Best I can tell whoever owned the machine for most of its 40 odd years was a lifetime achievement award recipient from Phillip Morris.
The playfield components/electric are near 100% complete/working but all coated inside and out in a mix of ash and resin that releases fumes and dust whenever a part moves or gets warm. Before it comes in from the garage everything not being replaced entirely will get some combination of disassembly, cleaning, painting and tumbling.
The first time I started stripping the underside l had a dust mask on and was lightheaded after 30 minutes. Second pass was a full respirator and latex gloves.
At least I'll have a good war story when it's done.

That's crazy! All that said, I'd probably hit the whole playflield with a rattle can coat of clear.

1 month later
#4190 1 year ago
Quoted from craif:

I'm almost ready to install my hardtop but have to deal with 4 inserts that are missing or too damaged to make nice even with a hardtop. If I needed a full set I'd just starburst everything since nobody makes the smooth triangles anymore but I just need 2 orange, 1 red, 1 green. If I have to I could even flatten/sand used ones as long as they aren't cracked/discolored. Anyone have a lead?

I replaced all of mine with starburst except the hotdogs. I left the originals because replacements were not available.

#4193 1 year ago

Thanks for the update. Too bad nobody had them when I did my Hardtop, a couple of years ago.

1 week later
#4195 1 year ago
Quoted from craif:

After searching high and low I've accepted that's what I'll have to do. Figured out everything I need. Just debating whether to use opaque white or starbursted clears for the centerline. I've seen both in the past but can't decide. I'll probably just order both and figure it out in person. Anyone have an opinion?
Maybe this exists already but I made a spreadsheet for myself that might be useful for someone else looking to replace their inserts. If anyone spots an error let me know.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1De0QphGQSo375UzFNxSBHC3ziW07D66F6VN1aENzyAI/edit?usp=sharing

I bet clear starburst would look pretty cool on those bonus inserts. The numbers may not stand out as much as behind the opaque white ones but it's probably minor. I used opaque white in them but did change the inlanes to clear red and out lanes to clear. I put color changing leds under the clear "special" inserts to make it extra special. I also used clear eject shields in the saucers and put red leds under them that are tied to the green lock light insert bulbs.

9 months later
#4345 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I really wish someone would remake the Firepower II backglass. That's the one I need
Chris

This is only loosely related. A friend of mine reworked the art for my multi-pin. Coos did his magic on it and produced it for me.

C6B0B24D-1300-44A3-A048-FF1B03D67D8F (resized).jpegC6B0B24D-1300-44A3-A048-FF1B03D67D8F (resized).jpeg
#4346 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I added a 10” subwoofer and amp to my Firepower last week. Holy crap what an intense upgrade. This game shakes my whole house now, especially when you hit the 1-6 targets the first time!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumpster-firepower/page/11#post-7450338
[quoted image][quoted image]

What kind of sorcery is going on in the bottom of this game? What are all the terminal strips for?

#4348 1 year ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Dude, tell me more about this multi-pin?! do you have something like a rottendog combo MPU/Driver board and just switch out playfeilds?

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I use the Pinball Technologies NW7 instead of the Rottendog. I have four playfields that I play in it. I had to move a few connector pins around and do some custom wiring. I'll have a proper post coming on it soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Clytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club?tu=Clytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.