IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Billc479.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#614 8 years ago

Price Check - I have a firepower playfield that I am thinking of selling, but I am not sure how much I should ask. I know shipping would be around $40 - $50, so that may scare aware some buyers. I have the wood side rails for the playfield, but nothing else. I've attached pictures of the playfield so everyone can see where the worn areas are. I know I've seen a lot worse playfields still out in the wild, so I think this may have some value to someone. So, any ideas on how much I should ask for this? Thanks

DSCN1980_(resized).JPGDSCN1980_(resized).JPG

DSCN1983_(resized).JPGDSCN1983_(resized).JPG

DSCN1985_(resized).JPGDSCN1985_(resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#638 8 years ago

Playfield has been sold to Stephen - he is going to try and restore it. He said he would keep us apprised of his progress.

9 months later
#1095 7 years ago

Put the red lead on TP 7, and the black meter lead to ground. You can use the ground braid as ground.

2 months later
#1328 7 years ago

Walamab -

There's lots of threads on how to straighten warped plastics - do the search.

I'm not sure a hair dryer is hot enough. I think everyone has their own opinions on what works best. Personally, I use a hot air gun from a distance, slowly warm up the entire piece, and let gravity do its thing. I put the plastic on a clean piece of glass so it does not pick up any dirt- the plastic is soft and can pick up stuff pretty easy.

Read all the opinions and decide what you think will work best for you. Good Luck

3 months later
#1441 6 years ago

425270 has good pop bumper caps

1 year later
#2229 5 years ago

Just to add to La_Porta's comments: If the arcing were bad enough to create carbon between the pins, you will have to clean out the carbon before sealing it. I had the same issue between two pins, and ended up having to remove the carbon before I lost continuity between the pins. It sounds like you didn't have a lot of carbon, so you should be OK with your boards.

#2238 5 years ago

Canoncity -

Check the power supply, especially the 5 volts - monitor the voltage and have someone operate both flippers to see if the power dips. You may be better off using an analog meter, but try with a digital. If the power dips, then you found the cause. Otherwise, check the diodes on the flipper coils - I have a machine that eats the coil diodes, and when a diode goes bad, and you flip both flippers, the machine resets. Note you have to lift one end of the diode to check it.
Report back.

2 months later
#2420 5 years ago

Basics - verify voltages on all the test points, especially the power supply, then on the Rottendog.

#2424 5 years ago

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/ the schematics show actual voltages at different points on the schematic.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7 This is an excellent writeup on all Williams system 3 thru 7 systems.

Between these two references, that should be just about everything you need to troubleshoot and get the game going. Continue to post progress.

1 month later
#2524 5 years ago

Don't worry about the 32 volt, the important thing is the amperage, and whether it's slow blow or fast acting. I doubt you could find a lower voltage rating fuse, but just in case, don't go below the 32 volts. Most fuses used now are 250 volt.

2 weeks later
#2566 5 years ago

It sounds like the plunger is binding. Make sure the plunger and coil are a straight line when the plunger is fully extended. Eyeball should be good.

2 months later
#2736 5 years ago

If you can't find any, you can bend your own wires for under the flippers. I think PBR or Marco sell the wire, and somewhere on this site is a tutorial for bending.

Hope you can repair the holes that someone put in the playfield for the post in the center drain - FP does not have that post.

1 week later
#2762 5 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

k cool. That’s what I thought.
I guess I need to find that part, but I am leary about taking the boards out to install it. Mostly because of the 40 pin connection. I don’t suppose I could solder the part onto the board without removing the boards could I?

You will need to remove the board to solder in the transistor. I don't know of any way to solder the back side of the board from the top. With the boards out, it may be a good time to replace/reflow the 40 pin connector anyhow.

4 weeks later
#2822 5 years ago

Swap player two with player four and see if the problem follows. If so, look for cracked/cold solder joints. Same with player one and three - you're missing a digit.

#2825 5 years ago

Go with the flipper rebuild - if all the the other coils seem to work fine, its unlikely you will have voltage issues. Concentrate on the flipper coil stops, sleeves, and EOS switch.

#2827 5 years ago

It’s not surprising that the slingshot switches look mangled. Straighten them and adjust them like you would any other leaf switch. I have a leaf adjustment tool that I use. With the plastic off, and the ring on, adjust for a proper gap. If you try to adjust the gap when the switch is not installed, it will be too close when installed.

The resistor and diode install is correct. I’m going by memory, but one switch is for scoring, and one is for activating the coil.

Did you look at the plunger stops on the flipper coils?

1 week later
#2846 5 years ago

You have to lift one leg of the diode to test them. At that point, you’re half way there to replacing them, so it may be just as easy to replace them with new ones.

3 months later
#2977 4 years ago

Based on what I see of those batteries, you will need to replace the battery holder, and likely repair some damage caused by the leaking batteries.

Since you will have the board out, I suggest you go with NVRam to get rid of the need for batteries, and then change out the 40 pin board header, and plan to do the same thing to the MPU pins. Lots of solder work ahead of you to make this more reliable. Good machine!

1 week later
#3009 4 years ago

I’m away from my machine, so can’t look, but does this have a diode across the coil? If so, you need to lift one side of the diode to measure the coil resistance.

#3012 4 years ago

I’ve always lifted one side of the diode when measuring coil resistance. Otherwise, you’re reading forward bias on the diode or resistance of the coil, and you won’t know which one you’re reading.

I’m not sure about what causes a weak coil, I’ve only seen them open winding.

Just a curiosity - do you have new sleeves and stops or at least clean ones? Little to no slop in the linkage pins? All that will contribute to a weaker flipper.

5 months later
#3288 4 years ago

You can measure the voltages safely as long as you don't accidentally touch the metal probe tips. (Don't ask how I know !)

1 month later
#3385 4 years ago

If cleaning a game for the first time, I plan to replace all the coil sleeves since I don’t know when it was last done.

1 week later
#3421 4 years ago

It might be easier to buy a new switch and rob the nut from it.

I don’t recall seeing just the nut for sale.

7 months later
#3821 3 years ago

Did you verify you have voltage at the coil? Did you take a pic before you took it apart so you can compare past to present?

#3826 3 years ago

For the left flipper, go back towards the driver board to find where you're losing the voltage. 8 volts is bad - maybe a bad connection somewhere that you aggravated when you changed the coils. Start by lifting the power wire to the coil (With power off), then power up, start a game and measure the voltage on the wire without it being attached. Report what you find.

#3832 3 years ago

The 50 points is caused by a switch being activated by vibration from the flipper. Figure out which contacts are 50 points, (I think the targets are the only ones, but I'm not near my machine.) and put a piece of paper between the contacts, one target at a time, then flip. When the points stop, you found your switch that is causing the problem. Open the gap on the switch just a bit.

Not sure what would be causing a three ball game to only go on two balls. My thoughts are a set of contacts in the trough bounce when the ball is put into the shooter lane. When starting a game, observe the ball in play indicator. Does it jump from one to two when serving the ball?

2 months later
#3939 3 years ago

My Firepower stopped working while I was playing - the scores suddenly went bright and were strobing, and lots of points were being racked up. I troubleshot the problem to something in the solenoid 1 - 8 area. Removing pins from the connector to isolate it down to one solenoid, I found that the issue is solenoid 3.

The problem is, per the schematics, Solenoids 2 & 3 are not connected. Since there's a wire connected for them, I can declare the schematic is wrong. So, before I start going hand over fist following these wires, does anyone out there know what solenoids 2 & 3 are? Thanks

#3941 3 years ago

Interesting - I don't have drop targets - so I 'm thinking they ran the wires and just left them hanging, and one of them finally shorted. I'll look in that area and report back on what I find.

#3944 3 years ago

I traced the wires to 8P3 pins 18 & 19 per the schematic. (The 24 pin black connector) The wires end there, and go no further. I am going to leave the solenoid 3 wire out of the connector on the driver board, and put a note on it saying it is not used. Not sure why connecting this dead end wire causes the machine to go bonkers, but at least for now, its working.

Thanks for the directions.

2 weeks later
#3947 3 years ago

RM -Run a switch test and find out which ones are showing multiple closures. I suspect you have a switch matrix problem.

1 year later
#4133 2 years ago

Boards look good to me - nothing out of the ordinary. You should have no problem selling them. Look at the marketplace ads to get an idea of what to sell at.

1 month later
#4166 2 years ago

I measure about 1 1/16”. No washer. Here’s pics from my machine.

08C76BAE-1C29-4763-B700-DA9D3BB84A46 (resized).jpeg08C76BAE-1C29-4763-B700-DA9D3BB84A46 (resized).jpeg0E1A599A-5449-4F08-A865-46697C504AD5 (resized).jpeg0E1A599A-5449-4F08-A865-46697C504AD5 (resized).jpeg
#4167 2 years ago

I should add the screw has a shoulder on it

3 months later
#4206 1 year ago

Replace the horseshoe contacts, too. Troxel or Old School Bob, or search for Wms drop target horseshoe contact replacement. Well worth the time.

6 months later
#4332 1 year ago

You just did! Welcome to the madness of pinball playing, collecting, and fixing. I recommend making a donation to Pinside, and update your profile, at least location wise. That way, you may find there are others close by to visit or swap stories.

Up at the top of the page is a star and its labeled favorite topics - click on that for this string (Club). After that, you can go to the Topics tab and click on favorites to only see this string. However, I personally look at front page so I can see all new posts. I find I can learn a lot from other posts, and oftentimes find their fixes and comments are applicable to other machines that I have.

2 months later
#4461 10 months ago

DBP99. I only have one staple on mine

#4463 10 months ago

Dave - here’s what is on top of my Firepower. It does look like there was a piece of card stock stapled to the top. I’m not sure of the sticker - no idea what/why it’s there.

I’m guessing the card was a checklist for the head, much like the card on the inside of the body. (There was a whole thread dedicated to figuring out what/why there were staples on the inside of pinball bodies - that’s why this seems to have a familiar ring.)

I put this in the curious mysteries of life bucket, something to contemplate when I’m really, really, really bored.

IMG_9147 (resized).jpegIMG_9147 (resized).jpegIMG_9148 (resized).jpegIMG_9148 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#4506 8 months ago

Jumping Box
Take a look at the inside of the trough and make sure there’s not divet or a gate that’s preventing the ball from falling all the way down to where it should be.

7 months later
#4673 11 days ago

The NMP sensors replace the horseshoe style contacts that tends to give everyone fits.

What has been found thru extensive use is that on SOME machines, the residual magnetism from a pop number operation will cause one of the sensors on the NMP boards to think a drop target dropped. A fix has been found - basically, it’s a small metal shield that reduces the effect of the pop bumper operation on the NMP sensor.

There’s several strings about the NMP boards - do a search.

I highly recommend them as a reliable replacement for the Wms. Horseshoe contacts on their drop targets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Billc479.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club?tu=Billc479 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.