IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 94.
#4451 10 months ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

You could unplug the wires for the sound pot from the sound card and then using an ohm meter measure across the two sides and then from each side to the center as you turn it. Should show pretty quick if the values are changing and it looks like it is working or not.

I'll try this later today and report back

Quoted from Schwaggs:

Could also be the cabinet speaker blew. Do you have another to temporarily test with?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have a spare one to swap in. I'll try this later today.

#4452 10 months ago

Rubber kit and decal set for Firepower purchased from Marco but never used.

IMG_4608 (resized).jpegIMG_4608 (resized).jpegIMG_4609 (resized).jpegIMG_4609 (resized).jpegIMG_4610 (resized).jpegIMG_4610 (resized).jpegIMG_4611 (resized).jpegIMG_4611 (resized).jpegIMG_4612 (resized).jpegIMG_4612 (resized).jpeg
#4453 10 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I bought a set of these from Todd at Bigdaddy-enterprises.com They are new so may not be on the site yet, but a quick Email should set you up.[quoted image]

Could you please post a picture of this installed? Trying to understand better. Thanks

#4454 10 months ago

i recently purchased a firepower that came with a new cpr back glass. can anyone guide me to the trim they used for it? i have the bottom piece but need the sides and top. i have been looking on pbl and marco and cannot really find one for it. I reached to pbr but they did not recommend any saying the CPR backglass is an odd size.

#4455 10 months ago
Quoted from bowtech:

i recently purchased a firepower that came with a new cpr back glass. can anyone guide me to the trim they used for it? i have the bottom piece but need the sides and top. i have been looking on pbl and marco and cannot really find one for it. I reached to pbr but they did not recommend any saying the CPR backglass is an odd size.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/M-1889-1-2

#4456 10 months ago
Quoted from bowtech:

I ended up getting the trim from the place on this flyer.

INDIVIDUAL PINBALL PARTS FLYER 2022.pdfINDIVIDUAL PINBALL PARTS FLYER 2022.pdf

#4457 10 months ago
Quoted from Weese8015:

Could you please post a picture of this installed? Trying to understand better. Thanks

Go ahead and remove these old bridges and take note of where the positive and negative terminals are.
20230609_085141 (resized).jpg20230609_085141 (resized).jpg

The new kits come with new crimp lugs, dont reuse the 40 year old ones when you have brand new ones right in front of you.
20230609_085129 (resized).jpg20230609_085129 (resized).jpg

Also, note that the new screws are shorter. Thats because the new bridges are slimmer than the old ones. If you use the old screw it WILL be too long and stick out the back of your cabinet.
20230609_085650 (resized).jpg20230609_085650 (resized).jpg

Here are the new fused bridges in and installed.
20230609_091158 (resized).jpg20230609_091158 (resized).jpg

#4458 10 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Go ahead and remove these old bridges and take note of where the positive and negative terminals are.
[quoted image]
The new kits come with new crimp lugs, dont reuse the 40 year old ones when you have brand new ones right in front of you.
[quoted image]
Also, note that the new screws are shorter. Thats because the new bridges are slimmer than the old ones. If you use the old screw it WILL be too long and stick out the back of your cabinet.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Pretty slick!

#4459 10 months ago

Question for you all.

I just purchased a FP and the top of the backbox has two staples in it. I am assuming that there is some "warning" decal/label up there. Anyone have a picture of what this is? Thx Dave

#4460 10 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Thanks for the install notes Steve! Follow Big Daddy on Facebook for an announcement on these tonight: www.facebook.com/p/Big-Daddy-Enterprises-100057092004164

#4461 10 months ago

DBP99. I only have one staple on mine

#4462 10 months ago
Quoted from Billc479:

DBP99. I only have one staple on mine

Thanks. Upon closer review, there are 3 staples on mine and there was some residue from a decal/cardboard notice up there. Do you have any decal/cardboard up there you can take a photo? Thanks! Dave

#4463 10 months ago

Dave - here’s what is on top of my Firepower. It does look like there was a piece of card stock stapled to the top. I’m not sure of the sticker - no idea what/why it’s there.

I’m guessing the card was a checklist for the head, much like the card on the inside of the body. (There was a whole thread dedicated to figuring out what/why there were staples on the inside of pinball bodies - that’s why this seems to have a familiar ring.)

I put this in the curious mysteries of life bucket, something to contemplate when I’m really, really, really bored.

IMG_9147 (resized).jpegIMG_9147 (resized).jpegIMG_9148 (resized).jpegIMG_9148 (resized).jpeg
#4464 10 months ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Dave - here’s what is on top of my Firepower. It does look like there was a piece of card stock stapled to the top. I’m not sure of the sticker - no idea what/why it’s there.
I’m guessing the card was a checklist for the head, much like the card on the inside of the body. (There was a whole thread dedicated to figuring out what/why there were staples on the inside of pinball bodies - that’s why this seems to have a familiar ring.)
I put this in the curious mysteries of life bucket, something to contemplate when I’m really, really, really bored.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you!!! Mystery for me solved. Dave

#4465 10 months ago

I think I have my sound issue figured out. Seems like it's the volume control potentiometer inside the cabinet.

I re-pinned the connector for 10J2 on the sound board and no changes.

I removed the volume control pot from inside the cabinet, took it apart and cleaned it well. 1/4 of the resistive strip (black ring) is completely worn off. I forgot to snap a picture but here's a random pic and I circled an approximate area where the resistive strip is worn away:
Screenshot_20230610-202359_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230610-202359_Chrome.jpg

I put it back together and wired it up and now with the volume turned all the way up it's at a normal sound level instead of a whisper. The last 1/4 turn of the knob doesn't increase the sound at all.....I'm guessing due to the worn away resistive strip.

Time to order a new volume pot. Is this the correct one? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/123-5000-02
I couldn't find it in the parts manual to verify.

#4466 10 months ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You really can use either - they are electrically the same. Whichever looks better to you or is easier for you to solder.

Thank you for your help.

#4467 10 months ago

Question for the group. The 40+/- red posts on the game, my research doesn't come up consistent between a few vendors (ie 1" vs 1 1/16"). Does anyone by chance know the proper red post and part number?

Also, for cleaning the wax off, I've seen dishwasher (upper tray in a contained basket) or toothbrush. Anyone got an success on either or a different method?

Thanks as always! Dave

#4468 10 months ago
Quoted from DBP99:

Question for the group. The 40+/- red posts on the game, my research doesn't come up consistent between a few vendors (ie 1" vs 1 1/16"). Does anyone by chance know the proper red post and part number?
Also, for cleaning the wax off, I've seen dishwasher (upper tray in a contained basket) or toothbrush. Anyone got an success on either or a different method?
Thanks as always! Dave

I just used hot soapy water and soaked them for a while and used a toothbrush. Just had to be careful sometimes I used to much pressure and lost a couple.

#4470 10 months ago
Quoted from DBP99:

Thanks as always! Dave

Planetary Pinball has the parts catalog online.

You can find the post part numbers at: https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/ltjq/#p=147

#4471 10 months ago

Alright guys, looks like my sound issue isn't solved. I put in a new 5k potentiometer for the volume control and my sound is still not as loud as it should be.

Cranked all the way up it's almost at a normal sound level, but it's a little quieter than I would like.

I then put in a new cabinet speaker (8ohm 60watts). The sound quality is greatly improved with the new speaker, but it didn't do anything for the sound volume.

This is all done on known working sound board(s).

I'll probably start a repair thread topic, but wanted to try one last time hear if anyone had any further ideas.

#4472 10 months ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Alright guys, looks like my sound issue isn't solved. I put in a new 5k potentiometer for the volume control and my sound is still not as loud as it should be.
Cranked all the way up it's almost at a normal sound level, but it's a little quieter than I would like.
I then put in a new cabinet speaker (8ohm 60watts). The sound quality is greatly improved with the new speaker, but it didn't do anything for the sound volume.
This is all done on known working sound board(s).
I'll probably start a repair thread topic, but wanted to try one last time hear if anyone had any further ideas.

Interesting. The only thing I can think of is to double check you have the pot soldered on correctly (see the attach diagram) or the wiring to the speaker. Check the speaker connection on the board (the other 4 pin connector) and J7 between the head and cabinet (also in the diagram below).

IMG_9184 (resized).jpegIMG_9184 (resized).jpeg
#4473 10 months ago

When my speech was low I was told to try replacing IC3 on the speech board. I did and that fixed my low speech problem.
opamp IC3 (LM1458 or TL072)

#4474 10 months ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

When my speech was low I was told to try replacing IC3 on the speech board. I did and that fixed my low speech problem.
opamp IC3 (LM1458 or TL072)

On one of the last sound boards I repaired the low speech was caused by a bad transistor on the main sound board. That one was an inexpensive fix.

#4475 10 months ago
Quoted from Adrift:

Planetary Pinball has the parts catalog online.
You can find the post part numbers at: https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/ltjq/#p=147

Thank you!! Dave

3 weeks later
#4476 9 months ago

Hi everyone does anyone know why fire lights don't advance after they are lite?

#4477 9 months ago

Are you talking about the bonus x advancement or the 20/30/50k advancement at the top? If the 20/30/50k at the top you have to get Power as well for those to advance.

#4478 9 months ago
Quoted from Bluesman:

Hi everyone does anyone know why fire lights don't advance after they are lite?

Clean and adjust the lane change switch located along with the EOS switch on the right flipper assembly.

#4479 9 months ago

My Firepower keeps randomly staring a game on its own. Sometimes it happens in under 5 minutes of turning on all my games, sometimes longer like 25 minutes.

Switch test shows only the ball trough switches, even if I pound my fist on the playfield, I don't get anything unusual.

Thoughts on what might be happening?

#4480 9 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

My Firepower keeps randomly staring a game on its own. Sometimes it happens in under 5 minutes of turning on all my games, sometimes longer like 25 minutes.
Switch test shows only the ball trough switches, even if I pound my fist on the playfield, I don't get anything unusual.
Thoughts on what might be happening?

Start switch gapped too close? Can you post pictures of the boards in the backbox? What MPU and driver does it have?

#4481 9 months ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Start switch gapped too close? Can you post pictures of the boards in the backbox? What MPU and driver does it have?

The start switch has plenty of gap. The boards were also just reworked by Eugene in Springfield.

If this is a row/column matrix issue, will switch test show multiple switches when one is held closed?

#4482 9 months ago

In a bit over my head. Got a project Firepower. It's my first non-working pin.

I have done stuff in this guide:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

e.g. replacing all electrolytic caps, some stressed diodes/resistors/etc. replaced 40 pin connector, some bad sockets.
Put it all back together, no luck. No reset/ no blanking.
Found wiggling a ram chip caused blanking LED i added to light up. (blanking signal 3.5V, hopefully that's fine). So I replaced that socket

current state:
On power on, 2 red LEDs turn on then off, once. Then, blanking signal comes on.
No sounds, and the only insert light lit is "1" down by the flippers. (is that trying to tell me something?)
displays are on and are 0s . bottom left has nothing.
I put balls in in case it wanted them. No response to coin or credit switches.
The sounds do work when i push the test button on the sound board (no voice, but i'll deal with that later).

I've been reading
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_3_-_7

But I don't know what to do for "blanking signal is high but nothing happens".

Any pointers on things to check? Or is there a better thread to look for help in. Thanks in advance.

PXL_20230723_210054590 (resized).jpgPXL_20230723_210054590 (resized).jpgPXL_20230723_210118124 (resized).jpgPXL_20230723_210118124 (resized).jpgPXL_20230723_210125448 (resized).jpgPXL_20230723_210125448 (resized).jpg
#4483 9 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6
e.g. replacing all electrolytic caps, some stressed diodes/resistors/etc. replaced 40 pin connector, some bad sockets.
Found wiggling a ram chip caused blanking LED i added to light up. (blanking signal 3.5V, hopefully that's fine). So I replaced that socket
current state:
No sounds, and the only insert light lit is "1" down by the flippers. (is that trying to tell me something?)
The sounds do work when i push the test button on the sound board (no voice, but i'll deal with that later).
I've been reading
Any pointers on things to check? Or is there a better thread to look for help in. Thanks in advance. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Probably best you start your own repair thread so you can track things better.

No idea why the 1 insert is lit, might be a wiring or diode problem. It is not a diagnostic code or anything.

When blanking was not working before you messed with the ram socket, were there 0s on the displays? If blanking is enabled, the displays should be blank (unlit).

You have an AMI branded PIA at IC11 on the driver board. Those are notoriously suspect. Do you have another PIA you can swap in there?

Can you burn a ROM? Might be worth trying andre’s diagnostic ROM. Or you could try pincoders ROMs here on pinside.

#4484 9 months ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Probably best you start your own repair thread so you can track things better.
No idea why the 1 insert is lit, might be a wiring or diode problem. It is not a diagnostic code or anything.
When blanking was not working before you messed with the ram socket, were there 0s on the displays? If blanking is enabled, the displays should be blank (unlit).
You have an AMI branded PIA at IC11 on the driver board. Those are notoriously suspect. Do you have another PIA you can swap in there?
Can you burn a ROM? Might be worth trying andre’s diagnostic ROM. Or you could try pincoders ROMs here on pinside.

Thanks..no spare chips but I may buy at least 1 new PIA to swap around. I was also considering buying an eprom burner and some chips to try a diagnostic rom or just try fresh game roms.

The displays were showing 0s before I got the blanking signal high. They were 0s before I did any work. Getting the reset high (5v) and blanking high (3.5ish v) is the only real progress I've made.

#4485 8 months ago

current state:
I've been reading
Any pointeorirs on things to check? Or is there a better thread to look for help in. Thanks in advance. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]</blockquot

I see original boards. You may to look at the 40 pin connector. You might have to re pin it.

#4486 8 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

current state:
I've been reading
Any pointers on things to check? Or is there a better thread to look for help in. Thanks in advance. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You said it was non-working when you bought it. Did the owner say anything about that? 40 pin connector was a great start. I would started there.

#4487 8 months ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

You said it was non-working when you bought it. Did the owner say anything about that? 40 pin connector was a great start. I would started there.

Thanks for reply. Guy I got it from is in my local circuit. He bought a bunch of machines from a storage unit where they had been ??? Years until the guy died and his family dumped em.. so nobody knows how long ago it was working or what all might be wrong..fun!

I started a separate thread so that I don't clog this one up asking for help once a week!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-getting-system-6-firepower-working#post-7684332

#4488 8 months ago

I was contemplating trying to salvage these plastics. if I can solve the yellowing(difficult without ruining art, i know) and the slight warping, i thought they wouldn't be too bad. But it seems the color seems very muted compared to the CPR repros. What happened to my blues?? I thought usually reds faded, but mine are pretty much only yellow/red.

I should probably just get new plastics huh?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4489 8 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I was contemplating trying to salvage these plastics. if I can solve the yellowing(difficult without ruining art, i know) and the slight warping, i thought they wouldn't be too bad. But it seems the color seems very muted compared to the CPR repros. What happened to my blues?? I thought usually reds faded, but mine are pretty much only yellow/red.
I should probably just get new plastics huh? [quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, those are pretty toast. I'd get new ones for sure.

#4490 8 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I should probably just get new plastics huh? [quoted image][quoted image]

Mine looked close to that, I bought new ones and I was amazed at the difference. It looked a new machine, again.

#4491 8 months ago

Ok. I am pretty much convinced on new plastics. trying to figure out if i should order a backglass at the same time.

I believe mine has been painted over on the back. But I put 2SMD bulbs all in the backboard and it shines through pretty well. i think comparable to my Sorcerer. Only a few nicks in it which I could touch up a little bit. A replacement is $270 which feels like a lot. I am doing a hardtime and restoring the playfield, but not the cabinet. trying to figure where to draw the line. Unsure if the game is a keeper or not... haven't even got it to boot yet!

PXL_20230802_184533922 (resized).jpgPXL_20230802_184533922 (resized).jpgPXL_20230802_184543981.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230802_184543981.MP (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4492 8 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Ok. I am pretty much convinced on new plastics. trying to figure out if i should order a backglass at the same time.
I believe mine has been painted over on the back. But I put 2SMD bulbs all in the backboard and it shines through pretty well. i think comparable to my Sorcerer. Only a few nicks in it which I could touch up a little bit. A replacement is $270 which feels like a lot. I am doing a hardtime and restoring the playfield, but not the cabinet. trying to figure where to draw the line. Unsure if the game is a keeper or not... haven't even got it to boot yet! [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

FirePower is pretty fun and fast. Once you get it going make the choice, save the money if you can. The back on yours look weird, maybe they tried to seal it with white instead of using clear triple thick.

#4493 8 months ago
Quoted from craif:

After searching high and low I've accepted that's what I'll have to do. Figured out everything I need. Just debating whether to use opaque white or starbursted clears for the centerline. I've seen both in the past but can't decide. I'll probably just order both and figure it out in person. Anyone have an opinion?
Maybe this exists already but I made a spreadsheet for myself that might be useful for someone else looking to replace their inserts. If anyone spots an error let me know.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1De0QphGQSo375UzFNxSBHC3ziW07D66F6VN1aENzyAI/edit?usp=sharing

found this great spreadsheet from a year ago... thanks to you if you're still following.

I'm doing my hardtop now and my inserts are maybe ok except I have some cracked green ones at top and bottom.
The spreadsheet mentions plain transparent are hard to find. Would this not be the right part?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PI-1RGT
is the green too light? I would replace all 8, but trying to avoid replacing all the inserts on the playfield with starburst.

Also wondering if my whites are OK or too yellowed. I'm going to put cool white LEDS under them. I guess i'll try to polish them up quickly (also to verify the rest are in OK shape), lay the hard top on and decide.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4494 8 months ago

anyone got a CPR backglass lately?
I got one from Marcos and the red was very washed out. Marcos was great about returning it(they had no other stock to check or send). I have an email to CPR im waiting back on to see if that was an anomoly or not but wanted to see if anyone here had gotten one lately. My original one is on the right, very deep saturated red in most parts 43 years later. (i'd just keep this one, but its painted over on the back in white...)

just want to make sure i don't get a second one with same issue.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4495 8 months ago

Mayfair amusements usually has stock on fp backglass.

#4496 8 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Mayfair amusements usually has stock on fp backglass.

I think it's still CPR though, they are the ones with the license to make it. The photo on the Wayfair website looks great, so I'm just trying to figure out if I got an anomaly

#4497 8 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I think it's still CPR though, they are the ones with the license to make it. The photo on the Wayfair website looks great, so I'm just trying to figure out if I got an anomaly

I don't think they're the same. I got my repro backglass from Mayfair and the coloring on mine is different compared to the one from CPR in your previous post.

Original on left, Mayfair on right.

Pinside_forum_7518938_0(1).jpgPinside_forum_7518938_0(1).jpg
#4498 8 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I think it's still CPR though, they are the ones with the license to make it.

It is not.

#4499 8 months ago

I noticed firepowerpinball.com is down. Maybe temporary maybe not. I relied heavily on that site. Maybe some of the resources are elsewhere, but just in case I scraped the wayback machine and got all the PDFs I felt were important:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FtlUz2oD52e53RdDIYgvIXxqvZewfceQ

Also have in there some old guides i found for drop target retrofit. Doesn't take up much space, I don't think I'll remove access to this any time soon but wouldnt be a bad idea to get your own copy (you can do "Download All" to get a zip file)

#4500 8 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I noticed firepowerpinball.com is down. Maybe temporary maybe not. I relied heavily on that site. Maybe some of the resources are elsewhere, but just in case I scraped the wayback machine and got all the PDFs I felt were important:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FtlUz2oD52e53RdDIYgvIXxqvZewfceQ
Also have in there some old guides i found for drop target retrofit. Doesn't take up much space, I don't think I'll remove access to this any time soon but wouldnt be a bad idea to get your own copy (you can do "Download All" to get a zip file)

I posted about this previously, that site is weird. Sometimes it's down other times I can find the site and access everything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 22.50
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/90 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.