Topic Stats

• 3,687 posts
  • 306 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by RobertWinter
  • Topic is favorited by 140 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 973 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7BE2536E-BDCB-4FD4-8125-E5E347F0ADFD (resized).jpeg
fp7digit3.jpg
fp7digit2.jpg
fp7digit1.jpg
display-sound-signal harness diagram copy (resized).png
IMG_20200707_114707189 (resized).jpg
D55A4805-FAD8-4822-8275-21EB5AA7A165 (resized).jpeg
4B71ADED-74A1-426D-B73D-461510530199 (resized).jpeg
A27170FA-E62A-43EE-B0A0-06C203F9AB99 (resized).jpeg
1C7E40C1-F566-4CB6-9E3F-4C179397FD4E (resized).jpeg
D8F05A8F-07D9-4D87-8488-C752C10E0DE6 (resized).jpeg
20200624_212009 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200624-164248_Chrome (resized).jpg
E204909B-E607-4407-A33A-388390A782DA (resized).jpeg
F5123C92-5421-4C77-962D-0BF53C9CF6BB (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 3687 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 74.
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Also I've got increments of numbers missing on two of my displays and the one that says 1ST is flaky on the first digit. Could I remedy these issues by rebuilding the main display board and if so which components are the most problematic?

Search for "dendrites" and find my post on this; then get your dental tool out and scrape between the wires that go into the bad displays (turned off of course). If you are lucky, the growth will not have migrated between the glass sandwich, and your segments will start firing again. I have saved a few Williams displays with exactly the same segment out by careful cleaning.

Mac

#402 4 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

Search for "dendrites" and find my post on this; then get your dental tool out and scrape between the wires that go into the bad displays (turned off of course). If you are lucky, the growth will not have migrated between the glass sandwich, and your segments will start firing again. I have saved a few Williams displays with exactly the same segment out by careful cleaning.
Mac

The issue turned out to be bad displays. I have since replaced them and the problems are all gone. Thanks for posting advice though I definitely appreciate it. I'll try your method on the bad displays.

1 month later
#403 4 years ago

Hey fellow Firepower owners,

Check this out - the outlane guides on my Firepower were pretty beat so created some new ones... I've 3D modeled the outlane guides and posted a compatible part that is orderable from Shapeways. I've had the "metallic plastic" version installed in my machine for two months now and they work great. I've had the 3D printed metal ones on order for over a month now, so hold off on ordering that version until I get them and try 'em out. Here is a pic:

photo 5.JPG

Here is where to get them:

www.shapeways.com/shops/kahrparts

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams 3-7 sound board solutions

#404 4 years ago

that would look badass in red sparkle

#405 4 years ago

I'm sure this has been covered already -- can I ask someone to reiterate the range of drop targets that can be used for Firepower? I grabbed a Black Knight one, and it was said previously that that won't work, so I'm wondering what I need to start being on the lookout for.

thanks,
-mof

#406 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'm sure this has been covered already -- can I ask someone to reiterate the range of drop targets that can be used for Firepower? I grabbed a Black Knight one, and it was said previously that that won't work, so I'm wondering what I need to start being on the lookout for.
thanks,
-mof

Hot Tip has compatible drops

#407 4 years ago

sys3-6 with the horseshoe wiper contacts

#408 4 years ago

Ok, then that should be:

disco fever
hot tip
flash
stellar wars
blackout
gorgar
laser ball
scorpion
time warp

#409 4 years ago

This game is so simple, it's great... While it's very exciting to REACH multi-ball -- I have never had a multi-ball last more than about 10 seconds. I wonder what contributes to that?

It's like, tease, tease, tease, tease, tease, tease, tease, tease -- and then -- wait, is that it?

-mof

#410 4 years ago

Can I ask someone with Firepower II -- please take a pic from above the outlane post on both sides (just center the post in your phone-camera, from about 6" above the PF glass. I want to see the relationship with the playfield edge to the top of the outlane to the top of the sling.

thanks,
mof

#411 4 years ago

Not sure I understood what you were asking for, but I hope these help:
DSC01392.JPG
DSC01393.JPG

Now maybe you can help me. I pulled the main ac fuse from my Firepower II, but before I could get my super magnifiers (it's hell to get old) to read what it was, I lost the fuse. The manual only says "ac fuse", and the label on the board is long gone. Can you tell me the value of it? I've got a 5 amp in it to chase my switch problems, but I don't think that's going to run it all.

#412 4 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

perfection.
-mof

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

DSC01392.JPG
DSC01393.JPG
Now maybe you can help me. I pulled the main ac fuse from my Firepower II, but before I could get my super magnifiers (it's hell to get old) to read what it was, I lost the fuse. The manual only says "ac fuse", and the label on the board is long gone. Can you tell me the value of it? I've got a 5 amp in it to chase my switch problems, but I don't think that's going to run it all.

I'd say post a pic of the area where you pulled the fuse, and I'm sure someone will check it against the manual and give you the required type.
-mof

#414 4 years ago

I put in another 60 games (so like 1 hour), and FINALLY earned my first ever free ball from earning the 5x multiplier. What a rush!

I'm starting to appreciate how swell the balance is on this game. You are going for FOUR things at once (five if you still need a saucer) -- all equally dangerous. (I HATE how the ball can start acting up on the left wall as the ball returns from the F-I-R-E lanes... and leap SDTM)

At first I thought mastering the orbit shots would be safest, but there are no big points in repeating that shot (unless you have a lit spinner) then you leave yourself vulnerable to not having the left kicker lit... So I'm starting to learn to get it lit, and THEN get 4-5 of the targets lit up so I can earn it again WHEN I want to.

Am I on the right track to learning to play this thing?

Some day I'll earn the "power" free ball.

930,000 (2nd highest score so far)

-mof

#415 4 years ago

This is the only game I own but I love it. I have a buddy with 8 games and I still like this one best. Simple but challenging. I did a CPR playfield swap so it's super fast.

I always try to get that left kicker lit ASAP, anything to help prevent losing a ball. Multi-ball is a huge challenge and you're right, it generally doesn't last too long. I don't think I've ever earned a free ball as the 5x multiplier is hard enough to get.

I've rolled the score once during one unbelievable game and ended up with 1.6 millionish. Have never rolled it since. Personally I don't think it's a simple game to score well on and that's what keeps you coming back!

mof, that's a nice collection of games by the way!

DZ.

#416 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Ok, then that should be:
disco fever
hot tip
flash
stellar wars
blackout
gorgar
laser ball
scorpion
time warp

Let me know if you need help. I put drops on mine and love it. Pm me anytime.

#417 4 years ago

I'm ready to put drops in mine. I just need a junk harness to salvage some wire.

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Let me know if you need help. I put drops on mine and love it. Pm me anytime.

Awesome!
-mof

#419 4 years ago

I am thrilled to announce my new membership to this glorious club. I've been casually looking for a Firepower for a while and I'm very happy with the one I found.

Other than a couple cracked plastics and beat up lane dividers it's in good shape. I do have a couple of questions, as this is my first System 6.

Question the first: On player 3 & 4 displays the lower left segments on every digit come and go. Looks like the harnesses were recently redone and I've tried reseating them. It does look like I have a couple of cooked resistors, could that be causing intermittent problems?

Question the second: I have speech, but no sound effects. Fuses are good, I reseated all the Roms and in the sound test I get nothing but speech. So it seems to be a sound board problem, which was recapped and gone through this past summer. Should I just start replacing Roms or could it be something more sinister?

image.jpg

#420 4 years ago

Yes. Failed resistors on the master display will cause lost segments on the slave displays, in pairs. Replacing the toasty ones should help. I think the schematic shows which resistors are for which segments.

Welcome to Firepower!

#421 4 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

Should I just start replacing Roms or could it be something more sinister?

It could be something simpler - did you adjust the speech/sound mixer potentiometer? Perhaps it is twisted all the way over and thus silencing sounds. If that pot is bad I sell a pin-compatible replacement on my website.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams 3-7 sound board solutions

#422 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Yes. Failed resistors on the master display will cause lost segments on the slave displays, in pairs. Replacing the toasty ones should help. I think the schematic shows which resistors are for which segments.
Welcome to Firepower!

I tested the resistance on all of them and replaced the open ones with 1/2 watt resistors I had. Everything seems good now except one of them is getting very warm very fast. I would guess one of the displays is shorting.

Quoted from rkahr:

It could be something simpler - did you adjust the speech/sound mixer potentiometer? Perhaps it is twisted all the way over and thus silencing sounds. If that pot is bad I sell a pin-compatible replacement on my website.

That seems to be working, when I turn it all the way to sound I get nothing and when it's all the way to speech I get speech.

The previous owner said the machine did not work when he bought it so he sent the boards out. I asked him about the sound and he said he didn't know there was supposed to be sound, so I'm guessing it hasn't worked since having the boards worked on.

#423 4 years ago

Just joined the club, but have lots of work to get mine up and running, so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions...my first early SS game project.

First, just curious if anyone did Vid's flipper assembly upgrade? Is it worth it or just do a standard flipper rebuild? Need to make a list of all my parts needed and that was one thing I wasn't sure about.

Also, anyone have a scan of the right plastic on the 3 bank targets by the pops or a decent condition used one?

#424 4 years ago
Quoted from gjbwalker:

Just joined the club, but have lots of work to get mine up and running, so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions...my first early SS game project.
First, just curious if anyone did Vid's flipper assembly upgrade? Is it worth it or just do a standard flipper rebuild? Need to make a list of all my parts needed and that was one thing I wasn't sure about.
Also, anyone have a scan of the right plastic on the 3 bank targets by the pops or a decent condition used one?

Do the vid flipper upgrade to the wpc style. You won't regret it. Just getting rid of that blasted conical flipper spring is worth it.

#425 4 years ago

Thanks J . . . on my order list.

#426 4 years ago

Since this for this machine I thought it would be fitting to post on this thread
Firepower target and decal sets for sale $20
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-firepower-target-spinner-decals-available

sample.jpg

#427 4 years ago

I finally upgraded my rings to Titan silicon. I also created a kit in their database on the website for easy ordering. All of my other games are converted and I absolutely love them!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#428 4 years ago

Does anyone know if the 30,000UF Capacitor (Big Blue) in the backbox, can that be replaced with the 27,000uf one that Great Plains Electronics sells?

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=67 Part Number: CCG-27000uF-25V

It sure is a lot less expensive than the $50 one from Marco.

#429 4 years ago

I would say no. You can always go higher...you can never go lower ....unless you want trouble to be knocking at your door.

#430 4 years ago
Quoted from gjbwalker:

Does anyone know if the 30,000UF Capacitor (Big Blue) in the backbox, can that be replaced with the 27,000uf one that Great Plains Electronics sells?

I would go for the smaller one. It i has only a 10% difference between them and these caps have normally huge range that the actual value is say -5 to +10%. Then caps age, there capacitance also lowers. It it is likely that the new one will have more capacity than the old one! Also the PSU design is normally not that critical on the cap value. And if there is any problem, then just buy a small 3000uf .... 10000uf cap and put it in parallel. But check the voltage rating on new capacitors. That is not allowed to be lower!

#431 4 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

But check the voltage rating on new capacitors. That is not allowed to be lower!

Looks like the same voltage 25 . . .

#432 4 years ago

have you tried digikey...they have boat loads of capacitors from different suppliers. If you can't find it on there then it does not exist lol.

#433 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

have you tried digikey...they have boat loads of capacitors from different suppliers. If you can't find it on there then it does not exist lol.

Thanks . . . I'll try. BTW Can't wait for the Firepower decals!

#434 4 years ago

Hello.. has anybody made some decals for the 1-6 inserts arrows that would like to share? I bought the decals from PPS but they don't line up correctly and and the lettering is different. Also does anybody know if the decals from Classic Arcades are the same from PPS?

Thanks!

#435 4 years ago

So I have a problem that I wanted to ask if anyone has seen before. The main sound that plays during the game and ramps up louder and louder during play is completely gone. All of the other sounds work just fine. It's extremely frustrating because I just finished a 5 month restore on it and can't even enjoy it. I sent all of the boards out to be looked over and completely rebuilt/bulletproofed before the resto was finished ,and when they came back the game was 100%. I didn't play it for a week or two, turn it on and now I have this problem. Makes me contemplate selling the machine. You can't enjoy this game if it isn't 100%

Reply ·

#436 4 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

It i has only a 10% difference between them and these caps have normally huge range that the actual value is say -5 to +10%.

More like -20% to +80% on big aluminum electrolytics, especially of that era. I agree, the smaller one should be fine.

#437 4 years ago

If GPE/Ed said the smaller one is the replacement that would be more than good enough for me to use it.

#438 4 years ago
Quoted from mwiz:

Also does anybody know if the decals from Classic Arcades are the same from PPS?

I don't know if they are the same as the ones PPS sells but I will tell you that the Classic Arcade decals are not all that great. I would put them in the "better than nothing" category.

#439 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

So I have a problem that I wanted to ask if anyone has seen before. The main sound that plays during the game and ramps up louder and louder during play is completely gone. All of the other sounds work just fine. It's extremely frustrating because I just finished a 5 month restore on it and can't even enjoy it. I sent all of the boards out to be looked over and completely rebuilt/bulletproofed before the resto was finished ,and when they came back the game was 100%. I didn't play it for a week or two, turn it on and now I have this problem. Makes me contemplate selling the machine. You can't enjoy this game if it isn't 100%
Reply ·

Go to the solenoid test and see if there is a sound missing.

#440 4 years ago

IMG_0374.jpeg

#441 4 years ago

Which strength shooter spring do you guys prefer in your Firepower? I can't seem to find what the factory original one was.

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

Which strength shooter spring do you guys prefer in your Firepower? I can't seem to find what the factory original one was.

The stronger the better because it allows you to quickly get the ball back in action, with the slightest amount of movement.
Mof

#443 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Go to the solenoid test and see if there is a sound missing.

Did that already.

performed the loop test twice and that all checks out

Grounded the pins, each emits a sound but none emit the sound that is missing

The wiring in the lower left corner of the driver board all checks fine as well as the upper left corner of the sound board

Through voltage testing of the caps on the sound board my readings are all in spec 4.9 13.4 and 12.3

#444 4 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

from the parts manual it was 10-148-1

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-148-1

#445 4 years ago

Can anyone here possibly help a fellow Pinsider out??? I'm kinda desperate. In post #435 I mentioned a sound issue that I was having. As of now I am still chasing it and have pretty much exhausted myself and my resources. The person that repaired/bulletproofed all of my firepower boards took my sound board back in a second time and says that it checked out 100%,but I think that he only uses a Williams test station and not a dedicated machine and that may be why he can't find the issue that I'm having. I wanted to know, would anyone here with a FULLY FUNCTIONING Firepower be willing to test my sound boards out in there machine so that I can verify if my issues IS or Isn't the sound board?? If I have to I'll even pay you for your time. It's just that, this is my grail machine and I just want it 100% again so I can enjoy it and not end up selling it. The single most important sound in the game is missing and it just isn't Firepower without it.

Thanks!!

#446 4 years ago

Might be a silly question but do you have background sound on in adjustments? Number 35 I believe.

#447 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Might be a silly question but do you have background sound on in adjustments? Number 35 I believe.

I'd have to look into that. Thing is, the game had the sound before this happened. I powered the machine on a few weeks later and it was gone. I have never touched any adjustments on the machine.

#448 4 years ago

Perhaps pull the batteries out for a few minutes with the power off and/or restore factory settings then just to eliminate a dodgy RAM issue.

#449 4 years ago

Thanks Andy. I am going to go through my menus to see what 35 is set to. Maybe there was a glitch or short of some sort that lead the machine to revert to sound off for that particular setting. I actually hope that really is the problem. If not, factory reset it is.

#450 4 years ago

Nice, I just guessed because it don't have a manual but that was the one I ordered anyway!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 3687 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 74.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside