New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 70775)

The Firepower Club

By wiredoug

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,833 posts
  • 318 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by VP-Firepower
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,036 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Message_1606171630024 (resized).jpg
Message_1606171518102 (resized).jpg
FP4 (resized).jpg
FP7 (resized).jpg
FP3 (resized).jpg
FP5 (resized).jpg
FP1 (resized).jpg
20201121_153808 (resized).jpg
Eject ASsem (resized).jpg
LP6b2e2PSoG1yHBuDRkIOQ (resized).jpg
fp_sw_02.jpg
fp_sw_01.jpg
2D88B5B1-4DB2-4288-925F-46B5CF30DB53 (resized).jpg
sound1 (resized).jpg
sound 2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2019 (resized).JPEG

There are 3833 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 77.
#3801 25 days ago

When you say "bulletproofed" did you replace tge 40 pin connector?

#3802 25 days ago

Schwaggs just checked the chips pins look good.

#3803 25 days ago

Andy_B all conectors were replaced. Last night verify each pin of the sockets and conectors

#3804 23 days ago

Can you clarify. Did some of the PIAs work fine and sone not?

#3805 20 days ago
Quoted from Teamhex:

I just got the Speech and Sound combo board put in on mine and it's great. Really love these boards.
I had too many issues with the sound and speech so I just replaced the entire board. Make sure it's the speech/sound board before buying. If the onboard sound test doesn't play all the sounds, it's likely a problem on the sound or speech board(could also be on the cable that connects the 2).
If that works, but you don't hear them in game, check the driver board. Grounding the pins at 10J3(pins 2-5, and 7) on the soundboard should trigger voices.
To ground it, just touch one side of a wire to a ground, and then touch the other side to those pins on the board.
Mine was missing voices for Fire, Power, 1, and 2. It would say 3 where 2 should have been during the multi-ball kick outs.

Roughly $166 total for the one I bought a week ago.

I decided to purchase the sound and speech board from PinballPCB. Hopefully it will be put to bed once and for all. Thanks

#3806 19 days ago

Most of the time when I first turn on the machine and start a game two pinballs will be put into the shooter. It doesn't seem to happen on subsequent games. Any ideas? Thanks

#3807 19 days ago

Check your trough switches under play field.

#3808 19 days ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Can you clarify. Did some of the PIAs work fine and sone not?

Out of the 10 6821s 1 was causing display issues. The only socketed 6821 PIA is for the display.

This is the one PIA I tested all the other 6821 PIA.

Just incase it was a eprom I replaced the bottom three.

I am going to the combo mod so I can remove the PROM 1-3.

Also I did do the memory test 04 for IC13 and IC16. They passed but the test still passes without IC13 also?( when I pull it)

Im having FIREPOWER withdrawal!!!!! I need my FIX

#3809 18 days ago

My firepower just started having a sound problem, the background sound doesn’t come on and it keeps making the tilt sound without a tilt, just tilt sound after tilt sound. It seems to be playing correctly otherwise. Any ideas on where to start?

#3810 18 days ago

Check J3 on the sound board (top left) and J9 (bottom on the left edge of the board) on the driver board. Reseat and/or look for cold solder joints.

#3811 18 days ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

My firepower just started having a sound problem, the background sound doesn’t come on and it keeps making the tilt sound without a tilt, just tilt sound after tilt sound. It seems to be playing correctly otherwise. Any ideas on where to start?

I'd start simple by making sure the setting for background sounds is on and you don't have a stuck tilt switch or plumbob. Maybe some settings got wiped out for the background sounds? I know these sound like stupid suggestions, but you never know.

#3812 18 days ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

This sound problem happened to my friends machine the other day. When I checked on it, I noticed he moved the sound turn knob on the board and shut off his vocal sounds. I would try to turn and adjust the knob too.

#3813 18 days ago

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’ll dig in this weekend

#3814 14 days ago

Hey everyone, my FP playfield is missing the entire trough ejector assembly. According to the Williams 1980 parts catalogue, the game uses the B-7472-5R and B-7472-8 ejector assemblies. I know it uses both of these on the saucers but does it use one of them for the trough too? If so, which one? I guess later games used the C-9638 for this purpose.

LP6b2e2PSoG1yHBuDRkIOQ (resized).jpg
#3815 10 days ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Hey everyone, my FP playfield is missing the entire trough ejector assembly. According to the Williams 1980 parts catalogue, the game uses the B-7472-5R and B-7472-8 ejector assemblies. I know it uses both of these on the saucers but does it use one of them for the trough too? If so, which one? I guess later games used the C-9638 for this purpose.
[quoted image]

I'm seeing this on my parts assembly break downs. B-7472-7 Runway Eject Unit Assembly. Here's a screenshot of the page that deals with that assembly. Hope that helps. I saw this the other day and didn't think to check my files.
I have all the documents and artwork for this machine saved to a flash drive. I can upload this if anyone needs it. It has everything from super high res cabinet art, to stencils, to decals, parts lists, manuals, breakdowns, ext. Most of it is from Firepowerpinball.com, but not all of it is easy to find on there. Some are buried in the site so it's easy to miss them.

Eject ASsem (resized).jpg

#3816 8 days ago

Clytor

Hope this helps. Pictures can say thousands of words.

20201121_153808 (resized).jpg
#3817 8 days ago

I've joined the club - this one of the machines that started my pinball fascination. I just love the sound of Firepower, it takes me back to where it all began. Man I'm stoked!! Even found a few coins kicking around in the bottom of the cabinet

Look forward to reading through this thread and coming up to speed (my first SS machine)

FP1 (resized).jpg
FP5 (resized).jpg
FP3 (resized).jpg
FP7 (resized).jpg
FP4 (resized).jpg

#3818 7 days ago

Had to look twice. I'm thinking "2 times 20 cents? Where the hell is that?!"

Welcome to the club and good luck with the game!

#3819 7 days ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Had to look twice. I'm thinking "2 times 20 cents? Where the hell is that?!"
Welcome to the club and good luck with the game!

Haha! Back in the early 80's a game was a single 20 cent piece but moved to 40 cents later in the 80's - this really hurt your pocket however it's nothing compared to $2 for a game these days (or 3 games for $5).

#3820 6 days ago

Help Please!!
I purchased a Firepower and did a mini rehab...space limited full.
That being said I installed new flipper coils, EOS switch (purchased rebuild kit). The button switch is clean.
Now comes the kicker...the left flipper doesn't work but the right does.
I have the original manual.

#3821 6 days ago

Did you verify you have voltage at the coil? Did you take a pic before you took it apart so you can compare past to present?

#3822 6 days ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:Help Please!!
I purchased a Firepower and did a mini rehab...space limited full.
That being said I installed new flipper coils, EOS switch (purchased rebuild kit). The button switch is clean.
Now comes the kicker...the left flipper doesn't work but the right does.
I have the original manual.

Since you cleaned the Flipper button switches. Make sure the leaf switches still touch, when pushing the flipper button in. You might have bent a leaf switch to far back.

#3823 6 days ago

Definitely took photos...lots...it was a photo shoot for sure.
I tested voltage...right works and has 37 steady...left only has 8...both drop when button is pushed.

Did you verify you have voltage at the coil? Did you take a pic before you took it apart so you can compare past to present?

#3824 6 days ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:

Definitely took photos...lots...it was a photo shoot for sure.
I tested voltage...right works and has 37 steady...left only has 8...both drop when button is pushed.

You replaced the coils. Was there diodes connected in your old coils? If so, did you install new ones? I forgot if those coils had diodes or not.

#3825 6 days ago
Quoted from Clytor:

[quoted image]

Note: Replace plunger with the one that is used in Addams Family...
The plunger is an in between size that is less taxing than the OEM.
I have had very good success using Williams #C-9638 Ball Lane Feeder.

#3826 6 days ago

For the left flipper, go back towards the driver board to find where you're losing the voltage. 8 volts is bad - maybe a bad connection somewhere that you aggravated when you changed the coils. Start by lifting the power wire to the coil (With power off), then power up, start a game and measure the voltage on the wire without it being attached. Report what you find.

#3827 5 days ago

I’ll see if I can find the exact spot on the driver board that provides power to the left flipper. It should let you determine if there’s a board level component that’s bad.
Can you take a picture of the coil/diode in question? Just want to see if it’s right.

#3828 5 days ago

So weird...I followed the power wire to the solenoid board...pulled the flipper connection..didn't see anything...reconnected and now it works...

Message_1606171518102 (resized).jpgMessage_1606171630024 (resized).jpg
#3829 5 days ago

From the pictures, it doesn't look like your right flipper is working. Haha

#3830 5 days ago

I like to play with a challenge!!

#3831 5 days ago

We solved that one...now..since playing next issue popped.
It's only giving 2 balls..ends game when 2nd drains. Set for 3.
And not sure if it's part of game but every flipper stroke scores 50 points...

#3832 5 days ago

The 50 points is caused by a switch being activated by vibration from the flipper. Figure out which contacts are 50 points, (I think the targets are the only ones, but I'm not near my machine.) and put a piece of paper between the contacts, one target at a time, then flip. When the points stop, you found your switch that is causing the problem. Open the gap on the switch just a bit.

Not sure what would be causing a three ball game to only go on two balls. My thoughts are a set of contacts in the trough bounce when the ball is put into the shooter lane. When starting a game, observe the ball in play indicator. Does it jump from one to two when serving the ball?

#3833 1 day ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:It's only giving 2 balls..ends game when 2nd drains. Set for 3.
And not sure if it's part of game but every flipper stroke scores 50 points...

I had a similar problem but got 4 ball. I reset the mpu board back to factory. All went fine after that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Sale Pending!
Mesa, AZ
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
There are 3833 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 77.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside