Topic Stats

• 2,861 posts
  • 258 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by toddtuckey
  • Topic is favorited by 110 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 748 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0594 (resized).JPG
IMG_6395 (resized).JPG
IMG_6396 (resized).JPG
IMG_5117 (resized).JPG
IMG_5116 (resized).JPG
IMG_20190401_182645084 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190401_181929715 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190401_181855919 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190331_192813347 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190331_192756199 (resized).jpg
FP Finished (resized).JPG
Swap1 (resized).JPG
34A02AD6-8573-4388-823B-9038AC9AA19B (resized).jpeg
66EA5B2B-9284-4A90-AAA3-168D6A39BA33 (resized).jpeg
F1CE047E-9A4D-4D78-AD2F-F2D5EF1583F3 (resized).jpeg
SoundAssy (resized).JPG

There are 2861 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 58.
#2851 6 days ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

resetting consistently when I hit both flippers

Just to figure out if it is the same symptom I had -- when you say "resetting" when you hit both flippers does it instantly go into GAME OVER attract mode, but the sound effects continue on ...? If it is doing specifically that, I was told to check the 5V DC going to the MPU, so I cleaned and reseated that power supply connector and the problem went away.

#2852 6 days ago
Quoted from AdjustFailure:

Just to figure out if it is the same symptom I had -- when you say "resetting" when you hit both flippers does it instantly go into GAME OVER attract mode, but the sound effects continue on ...? If it is doing specifically that, I was told to check the 5V DC going to the MPU, so I cleaned and reseated that power supply connector and the problem went away.

Yeah, it is that exact same behavior. I checked all of the pins and they are super clean with no solder issues. I suspect that it is an issue with the voltage dropping when coming from the power supply. I’m leaning towards capping the power board then doing some tests. I just need to get a list of the caps. I’ll research it tonight.

#2853 6 days ago

Nvm on finding the caps, I found a kit right on pinside. I just bought that to keep it easy and avoid my complaining that Fry’s electronics has all but one of what I need.

#2855 6 days ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Nvm on finding the caps, I found a kit right on pinside. I just bought that to keep it easy and avoid my complaining that Fry’s electronics has all but one of what I need.

Oh, beat me to it.

#2857 5 days ago

IMHO never trust header solder connections on a 40 year old PC Board.

As I have been repairing several old PCBs I pry off the old plastic 9 pin header leaving the pins in the PCB.
I then heat the pins to let them fall out, this protects the PC board traces from heat and mechanical forces when using a de-soldering tool.
What I have noticed is that a large number of these pins come out when I pry the plastic off indicating they are not 'really' still connected.

These pins solder connection looked fine before I pried on the header housing.
So, the bottom line is the 'solder' ages and de-bonds from the pin to the PC board trace even if they look OK from the bottom side.
This de-bonding is likely caused by temperatures cycles as well as mechanical forces from plugging and un-plugging the connector over many years.

That is why Todd Tuckey's shop re-solders ALL header pins on PC boards as a standard procedure on all serviced pins and arcades. (watch the YouTubes)

#2858 5 days ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Perfect! Ty!

To make your old power supply board last another 40 years, I suggest replacing the header pins in addition to the caps. Oxidation and bad solder joints on these pins is VERY common.

While you wait for your parts, take your 1/4” nut driver, loosen the two mounting screws on the voltage regulator (silver “bottle cap” part on the heat sink) and snug them back down. Those mounting screws are part of the electrical circuit and can develop bad connections over the years.

#2859 5 days ago

Kevin at CPR has just enhanced the Firepower plastic set to now include the prototype version plastics. The proto plastic version is smaller than the stand-up counterparts which is correct for drop setups & also has the word "try" included which is not on production plastics.

If you have a retro-fit you will know how using the bigger standard stand-up target plastics just doesn't look right with the overhang, so these should look great.

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/firepower/

They look spot on just like the protos that can be seen here:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=856&picno=66361

Thanks Kevin!

#2860 5 days ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Kevin at CPR has just enhanced the Firepower plastic set to now include the prototype version plastics. The proto plastic version is smaller than the stand-up counterparts which is correct for drop setups & also has the word "try" included which is not on production plastics.
If you have a retro-fit you will know how using the bigger standard stand-up target plastics just doesn't look right with the overhang, so these should look great.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/firepower/
They look spot on just like the protos that can be seen here:
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=856&picno=66361
Thanks Kevin!

Awesome now we just need play fields redone and mirror back glasses!

#2861 2 days ago
Quoted from Budwin:

That is why Todd Tuckey's shop re-solders ALL header pins on PC boards as a standard procedure on all serviced pins and arcades. (watch the YouTubes)

Thank you for giving us credit! Leaky Batteries are the number one enemy, Colder Header Pins #2. and leaky capacitors #3!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,395 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
There are 2861 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 58.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside