IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 94.
#2451 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I do have a logic probe, but you're going to tell me how to use it . I've used it for arcade repair, and basically just validating that ICs are causing the thing to blink.
As for IC18, I haven't touched it. I found another post (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-i-blow-my-rootebdog-mpu327#post-4040208) where they recommended swapping IC27 and IC36, so I did that with no change . I haven't followed the posts advice on replacing U17 because frankly I can't find the damn thing on the board.
At this point I wouldn't necessarily rule out anything being "bad" but as I stated earlier, this issue most likely came from the grounding of a rollover switch to a pop bumper solenoid. I would suspect pretty minimal damage seeing as everything was working 100% prior to that (maybe that is a false assumption?).
Thank you again!

Thanks vid1900 MUCH better!

The switch matrix enters the board through 2J2 and 2J3 then on to IC27 which is probably why someone suggested swapping those as a troubleshooting step. However, the signal that drives the Blanking is derived from IC18. Can you swap the chips between IC27 and IC18? If that doesn't change things, we will break out the logic probe to see if the CPU is actually running. If it passed all the Leon diagnostics, I suspect the CPU is running but we need to start somewhere.

#2452 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Thanks vid1900 MUCH better!
The switch matrix enters the board through 2J2 and 2J3 then on to IC27 which is probably why someone suggested swapping those as a troubleshooting step. However, the signal that drives the Blanking is derived from IC18. Can you swap the chips between IC27 and IC18? If that doesn't change things, we will break out the logic probe to see if the CPU is actually running. If it passed all the Leon diagnostics, I suspect the CPU is running but we need to start somewhere.

Swapped them, same problem . All of the values are roughly the same, but my 4.8Vdc is now 4.9Vdc.

#2453 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Swapped them, same problem . All of the values are roughly the same, but my 4.8Vdc is now 4.9Vdc.

Lets go back to when you ran the diagnostics as outlined in the RD manual Travish posted. The LEDs were blinking properly through all those steps? They are supposed to blink every 1 second then you move on to the next step.

Both LEDs on at bootup is an indication that the CMOS RAM is bad. You have NVRAM installed where the CMOS goes. Do you have a spare 6224 RAM chip laying around (the 327 uses a more modern 6224 equivalent vs the 5101 on original boards)? Another WPC or modern game?

Did you try resetting the CMOS RAM as I suggested in an earlier post?

#2454 5 years ago

Here is a video of the self-test

I think that is the desired result, but you can verify.

I don’t have any spare chips laying around, as this is how the machine was configured when I purchased it. Are you saying the purple NVRAM chip is in the socket where you would normally put a CMOS chip? Wouldn’t that have ensured that it would never have worked?

I can buy whatever chips you recommend, and get them here ASAP for testing. I have a #CV and a #TNA if that would help, but I’m not jumping at the chance to destroy either of those .

I need to look at your posts again and see what you said about resetting the CMOS ram…I’m not entirely certain how to do that.

#2455 5 years ago

Unfortunately I can’t find the comment about resetting the CMOS RAM :/.

Also, just so that I can align with your terms, in this picture below I think the green = CPU, red = CMOS and blue = NVRAM?

4CC2D4C6-06CA-4416-9FE5-8B407E7DD369 (resized).jpeg4CC2D4C6-06CA-4416-9FE5-8B407E7DD369 (resized).jpeg
#2456 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Here is a video of the self-test
I think that is the desired result, but you can verify.
I don’t have any spare chips laying around, as this is how the machine was configured when I purchased it. Are you saying the purple NVRAM chip is in the socket where you would normally put a CMOS chip? Wouldn’t that have ensured that it would never have worked?
I can buy whatever chips you recommend, and get them here ASAP for testing. I have a #CV and a #TNA if that would help, but I’m not jumping at the chance to destroy either of those .
I need to look at your posts again and see what you said about resetting the CMOS ram…I’m not entirely certain how to do that.

Agree, that looks like the desired result.

The CMOS Reset instructions are here:

Quoted from Schwaggs:

You can try a factory reset of the CMOS (NVRAM in your case) by leaving the coin door open, setting switch 7 on DS1 to on and momentarily pressing the "command" switch (next to the diag switch)

You need to do this with the board set to run the Firepower game.

#2457 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Unfortunately I can’t find the comment about resetting the CMOS RAM :/.
Also, just so that I can align with your terms, in this picture below I think the green = CPU, red = CMOS and blue = NVRAM?[quoted image]

Red IC1 is the CPU 6802
Red IC22 is the ROM (program)
The other Red ICs are 6821 PIAs
The lower blue chip in your picture is the CMOS RAM (NVRAM in your case)
Blue IC17 is a buffer chip for the switch matrix
Green is IC6 74154 for displays.

#2458 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Agree, that looks like the desired result.
The CMOS Reset instructions are here:

You need to do this with the board set to run the Firepower game.

Ok, I did this. Assuming “open” = on for DS1 switch 7. No change :/.

Tell me what chips to buy and I’ll start shotgunning parts .

#2459 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Well, that would really be a shot in the dark, you already moved the likely failed parts between sockets with no change. The only thing I could suggest is the NVRAM module since that is the error code the LEDs indicate.

Try this, remove the solenoid fuse (to prevent solenoids from locking on) and set the DIP switches to another few games like Blackout, Black Knight, etc. See if you can get the board to start up. We are trying to see if the ROM was corrupted.

If that doesn't get the board to attract, break out your logic probe. Connect the power leads to ground and 5V test points on the power supply board. Set the switch on the probe to TTL and probe the pins around the CPU IC1. Almost every pin should be pulsing. Tell us which pin numbers are not pulsing.

Are you sure you don't want to send the board to RD for repair?

#2460 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I'm unfamiliar with the RottenDog boards, I prefer originals. But I would say assuming "open" = "on" is a bad assumption. Open would be off, closed would be on, speaking of switches.

Richard

#2461 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Well, that would really be a shot in the dark, you already moved the likely failed parts between sockets with no change. The only thing I could suggest is the NVRAM module since that is the error code the LEDs indicate.
Try this, remove the solenoid fuse (to prevent solenoids from locking on) and set the DIP switches to another few games like Blackout, Black Knight, etc. See if you can get the board to start up. We are trying to see if the ROM was corrupted.
If that doesn't get the board to attract, break out your logic probe. Connect the power leads to ground and 5V test points on the power supply board. Set the switch on the probe to TTL and probe the pins around the CPU IC1. Almost every pin should be pulsing. Tell us which pin numbers are not pulsing.

Just so I am clear, we’re talking about this fuse for the solenoids? The schematic says 2.5amp 28Vdc SB, but the one in my game is a 10amp 32Vdc.

What is “RD for repair”?

8E361C0A-8297-42BE-BA93-06A121335796 (resized).jpeg8E361C0A-8297-42BE-BA93-06A121335796 (resized).jpeg
#2462 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Ignore my last post…I pulled the fuse and risked it. I set the board to Disco Fever and the displays lit right up. What does that mean?

#2463 5 years ago

It means set it back to firepower and try again. When I first set up a RD for one of mine a few things were wonky. I called and they said start over from the beginning that maybe one of the rocker switches may not have been all the way or making contact or something. When I did that everything was back to normal. Can't hurt, might help. ??

Other than that call them and see what they say.

#2464 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

It means set it back to firepower and try again. When I first set up a RD for one of mine a few things were wonky. I called and they said start over from the beginning that maybe one of the rocker switches may not have been all the way or making contact or something. When I did that everything was back to normal. Can't hurt, might help. ??
Other than that call them and see what they say.

Ok…good logic . I tried it, and oddly it sparked to life for about a half second, then blanked back out. I saw the scoreboards light up, and heard the solenoid kick the balls in the trough, then it went right back to dark.

I switched back to Disco Fever (one dip switch) and sure enough, all of the scoreboards light up.

Can anyone explain what I am seeing?

#2465 5 years ago

This piece of sh*t is really making me crazy. Nothing seems to trigger the board to run the game properly. The whole thing when it jumped after switching in and out of the Firepower mode makes me think it is some kind of short or something. :/

#2466 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

This piece of sh*t is really making me crazy. Nothing seems to trigger the board to run the game properly. The whole thing when it jumped after switching in and out of the Firepower mode makes me think it is some kind of short or something. :/

Jumping in late but did you check all your votages?

#2467 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Jumping in late but did you check all your votages?

Yeah, that started back on this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/49#post-4633529. Basically the board appears to run in any game except Firepower.

#2468 5 years ago

You might have a faulty dipswitch bank (that bank that chooses the game).
Send to RD for repair = send it to Rottendog for repair.

#2469 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

You could try and reseat the ROM chip (IC22) to see if it is a weak connection in the socket.

If that does not work, contact RD support (call or email) and ask them what they suggest. They may want to send you a new ROM chip to try.

#2470 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You could try and reseat the ROM chip (IC22) to see if it is a weak connection in the socket.
If that does not work, contact RD support (call or email) and ask them what they suggest. They may want to send you a new ROM chip to try.

No dice, but ty for the suggestion.

Every other game I’ve tested on the board seems to post to the displays and kick the solenoids (yes I tested that with my finger on the power switch). It st seems illogical to me that only one game on the rom would be bad, and the rest completely fine.

Is there any specific thing that Firepower looks for during startup that these other games wouldn’t have?

#2471 5 years ago

Firepower uses a special rom if I remember right. Different from all the other system 6 games. I got a buzz so can't give too much but I do remember something.
I will find it.

#2472 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

No dice, but ty for the suggestion.
Every other game I’ve tested on the board seems to post to the displays and kick the solenoids (yes I tested that with my finger on the power switch). It st seems illogical to me that only one game on the rom would be bad, and the rest completely fine.
Is there any specific thing that Firepower looks for during startup that these other games wouldn’t have?

Firepower has a very large program compared to most games of that era. It was one of the only (maybe the only) game to use all the ROM and PROM sockets on the system 6 board. All that means is that the game program takes up a little more of the CPU address space. So the problem could be the ROM has been damaged, the CPU damaged or something else damaged that is pulling down the CPU address space.

One thing you could try is check your sound board to see if it has a 6802 CPU chip. If it does, try swapping the CPU from the sound card into IC1 on the RD board.

You could still have a bad 6821 somewhere on the RD board. Might be a good shotgun approach to get some known good 6821 chips and instead of swapping them around on the RD board to put some new ones on the RD board.

#2473 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Firepower has a very large program compared to most games of that era. It was one of the only (maybe the only) game to use all the ROM and PROM sockets on the system 6 board. All that means is that the game program takes up a little more of the CPU address space. So the problem could be the ROM has been damaged, the CPU damaged or something else damaged that is pulling down the CPU address space.
One thing you could try is check your sound board to see if it has a 6802 CPU chip. If it does, try swapping the CPU from the sound card into IC1 on the RD board.
You could still have a bad 6821 somewhere on the RD board. Might be a good shotgun approach to get some known good 6821 chips and instead of swapping them around on the RD board to put some new ones on the RD board.

Does anyone here have a working ROM or CPU I could buy? Seeing as I don't have the extra parts to rule out the issues. Hell, at this point, if anyone has an extra board laying around, I'd consider that as well :/.

#2474 5 years ago

Guess what my next restoration project will be.

Stencil+HardTop (resized).JPGStencil+HardTop (resized).JPG
#2475 5 years ago

So I got a call from Rottendog (really nice of them). They told me there is a secret Firepower on the board if you set the dip switches to 101001. I did that, and sure enough the displays come up, and they will display the settings.

I don't know if this hidden version is a fully working version, but what I get is interesting. With the coin door open, I get to "settings" views on the displays, but I cannot change any of the values. With the coin door closed, I get the player one light flashing, with the high score light blinking every few seconds. It displays 350000 on the player one score screen. I can't seem to start this version of the game, but at least I see something different.

I am planning on calling Rottendog back as soon as possible, I have just been busy traveling for work. I figured I would update this thread as I find things out in the event it helps someone else as well.

#2476 5 years ago
Quoted from Budwin:

Guess what my next restoration project will be. [quoted image]

Umm, Addam's Family!
Just kidding. Love Firepower. You're going to love that Hardtop.

#2477 5 years ago

Anyone know where I can either buy a new sound ROM 3 for my firepower (or buy a blank ROM)?

#2478 5 years ago

Finally joined the club with a Firepower II! I worked on another one for a friend a bit ago and liked it so much I knew I had to find one for myself. A nice deal came along surprisingly soon, grabbed a complete machine with nice cab, BG with minor bubbling, complete and not corroded boards, for a bit over $300... Unfortunately the playfield is blown out in the middle like they often are.

Anyone know if a repro is on the horizon for the lesser loved of the Firepower siblings?

DSC_0767 (resized).JPGDSC_0767 (resized).JPGDSC_0768 (resized).JPGDSC_0768 (resized).JPGDSC_0769 (resized).JPGDSC_0769 (resized).JPG
#2479 5 years ago

vid1900 or Schwaggs sorry to bother, but do you have any further ideas after reading that last post I had? I really want to get this thing in working order. I hope to get a call back from Rottendog, but I think it would be wise to tap the experts as well .

Again, thank you for your time!

#2480 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

vid1900 or schwaggs sorry to bother, but do you have any further ideas after reading that last post I had? I really want to get this thing in working order. I hope to get a call back from Rottendog, but I think it would be wise to tap the experts as well .

Go into Switch Test and see if the switches respond

#2481 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Go into Switch Test and see if the switches respond

I would love to do that, but the menu options are way off and I can’t seem to influence them at all. Here is a video of what I am seeing. Added bonus my wife telling me dinner is ready in the background.

Like I said, idk if this secret Firepower can actually be played. The thing that I can’t figure out is why the other games work, and the secret game works, but the regular game doesn’t work :/.

#2482 5 years ago
Quoted from Budwin:

Guess what my next restoration project will be. [quoted image]

Looks as you be having fun!
Wheres the side stencils from?

#2483 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Like I said, idk if this secret Firepower can actually be played. The thing that I can’t figure out is why the other games work, and the secret game works, but the regular game doesn’t work :/.

Just thinking has the shorted coil may have something to do with it.
Have you tryed disconnecting the popbumber coil you shorted ? Then test Firepower.
After you shorted it did you check that coil ?
Is that coil used in the ather games?
Never know!

#2484 5 years ago
Quoted from Madal:

Just thinking has the shorted coil may have something to do with it.
Have you tryed disconnecting the popbumber coil you shorted ? Then test Firepower.
After you shorted it did you check that coil ?
Is that coil used in the ather games?
Never know!

I've only done continuity tests on it to ensure it is not grounded. I could probably disconnect it if you think that could be a problem. Like I said, I assume the short occurred between that and a rollover switch while I was adjusting the rollover switch. Could that have actually damaged the coil?

Thanks!

#2485 5 years ago

Coils really don't get damaged. If something on the board goes south and then locks on the coil and it overheats then yes the coil could be damaged. Unless it shows signs of heat it's probably good. You could ohm out the coil to be sure.

#2486 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

vid1900 or schwaggs sorry to bother, but do you have any further ideas after reading that last post I had? I really want to get this thing in working order. I hope to get a call back from Rottendog, but I think it would be wise to tap the experts as well .

From what I can read on the MP327 schematic, they did not implement CMOS Memory Protect so you should see the same behavior with the door open or closed. All this means is we don't have to worry about the memory protect switch on the coin door working or suspect any memory protect circuitry on the board like you would with original boards.

I would try a new NVRAM or install a 6264 standard RAM chip (U36) but that would require a battery too. It could be that the NVRAM is not taking the changes when you are running through settings.

#2487 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

From what I can read on the MP327 schematic, they did not implement CMOS Memory Protect so you should see the same behavior with the door open or closed. All this means is we don't have to worry about the memory protect switch on the coin door working or suspect any memory protect circuitry on the board like you would with original boards.
I would try a new NVRAM or install a 6264 standard RAM chip (U36) but that would require a battery too. It could be that the NVRAM is not taking the changes when you are running through settings.

If this were the case, the displays should light up when I power it up in Firepower mode right? In theory I could probably boot it without the NVRAM chip installed and then it should just post the vanilla game right? Or is that chip required for operation?

#2488 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

If this were the case, the displays should light up when I power it up in Firepower mode right? In theory I could probably boot it without the NVRAM chip installed and then it should just post the vanilla game right? Or is that chip required for operation?

Not positive what it will do without the NVRAM installed. Some games will not boot that way. It won't hurt anything to try booting with it removed.

#2489 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Not positive what it will do without the NVRAM installed. Some games will not boot that way. It won't hurt anything to try booting with it removed.

Ok, this causes it to do nothing. It boots but never attempts to start the displays. I ordered another nvram. Hopefully that will rule out any issue there.

#2490 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Ok, this causes it to do nothing. It boots but never attempts to start the displays. I ordered another nvram. Hopefully that will rule out any issue there.

I did not re-read the whole thread, but does the MPU work in Scorpion?

#2491 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I did not re-read the whole thread, but does the MPU work in Scorpion?

Good question! I guess I could take it to the bar and find out. I didn't think about that. I will try that this weekend.

Also I'm trying to hook up with a guy from Rottendog who has been nice enough to reach out to me. My hope is that I can get this thing back to working ASAP because having a broken Firepower sucks :/.

Thanks @vid1900! I'll keep everyone posted.

#2492 5 years ago

Signs of life from my project finally. Was kind of holding off until I had good boards. Still have a ram issue though. Can’t wait.

EA43B436-726A-42F6-B02D-AA5D2030624B (resized).jpegEA43B436-726A-42F6-B02D-AA5D2030624B (resized).jpeg
#2493 5 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Signs of life from my project finally. Was kind of holding off until I had good boards. Still have a ram issue though. Can’t wait.
[quoted image]

Looking nice!

#2494 5 years ago
Quoted from Madal:

Looks as you be having fun!
Wheres the side stencils from?

Those Are Pinball Pimp stencils.

Here is progress so far.

Fixup1 (resized).JPGFixup1 (resized).JPGR Pimp1 (resized).JPGR Pimp1 (resized).JPGRed Done (resized).JPGRed Done (resized).JPG
#2495 5 years ago

Looking good

#2496 5 years ago

i really like what you did to hold the cabinet, looking good.

#2497 5 years ago

I am trying to find info on the updated code for Firepower but I cannot seem to find any info. Does anyone know where I can find it? I know it requires a sys 7 board and 7 digit displays, but I imagine a repro rottendog sys 7 would work?

#2498 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I am trying to find info on the updated code for Firepower but I cannot seem to find any info. Does anyone know where I can find it? I know it requires a sys 7 board and 7 digit displays, but I imagine a repro rottendog sys 7 would work?

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_softfirepowerdeluxe.html

It's called Firepower Deluxe

#2499 5 years ago

Thanks! Anyone try it and like it?

#2500 5 years ago

Repaired a system 6 CPU tonight and thought I'd share the info. This is the same board I repaired about 3 yrs ago for running too fast, see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sys-6-cpu-runs-too-fast

This time the game quit running while in attract mode and only G.I. was working on the machine. The diag LEDs indicated it was booting, and pressing the test button locked on the bottom LED reporting bad ram. Of course the ram was not the issue. The board was able to run Andre's test chip and everything passed, but would not run any game ROMs. I compared address line activity with a logic probe on several chips with a working board and found no activity at IC15 pins 10, 11, & 12.
Replacing IC15 - 74LS139 cured the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/50?hl=tomass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.