Topic Stats

• 2,931 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by dzorbas
  • Topic is favorited by 112 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 764 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6494.GIF
IMG_6490 (resized).JPG
IMG_6480 (resized).JPG
C8370950-C52F-49C9-BB5B-E73158EFB5FB (resized).jpeg
095791E8-3AE7-4B92-BDD1-84BF7B089799 (resized).jpeg
2CF30175-A2B6-444A-A745-539753F5A3FA (resized).jpeg
6D89BB44-5A3E-42A2-AFC0-82BECDEF444D (resized).jpeg
8576B27D-9938-4DC3-A97D-815F85D60D52 (resized).jpeg
F257F571-7AFE-4B8D-B11E-1C8F916C313F (resized).jpeg
268AF9A6-DCEA-4013-81FB-B06CA692A937 (resized).jpeg
FA9CF794-7809-4019-A0CF-28DD24848A9C (resized).jpeg
11539754-7E42-4402-977D-0DE9AB453E93 (resized).jpeg
C8B87B15-F5C6-43FE-8232-C049D3EA90B8 (resized).jpeg
29AE12EC-263F-4963-8F9F-5129B9A9B48B (resized).jpeg
9A4382B8-F808-4D1C-802B-FB93A4B0308D (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190505_160132926 (resized).jpg

There are 2931 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 59.
#201 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Great catch.
I did not even notice that.
Sadly my Firepower decided not to boot up anymore when I got back from PAPA.
It was playing fine when I left. Now I just get the GI lights, no displays, and sometimes the game says Firepower when I turn it on.
Can't imagine what happened while it just sat there. lol.
I have now replaced all the edge connectors on the CPU, All the Scanbe sockets, and it has a new 40 pin interconnect. Even did all the Caps on the power board.
This thing should be good to go and it is now giving me a hard time.

Did you also replace the edge connectors on the driver board also? Sounds like same problems I had until I re-flowed the solder on both boards.

#203 4 years ago

I just did the CPU board connectors and the 40 pin.
Guess I will do the driver board and power board as well.

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I just did the CPU board connectors and the 40 pin.
Guess I will do the driver board and power board as well.

Yepper. Betting your problem is there in the driver board. Good Luck

Jack

#206 4 years ago

I've got a Firepower project I am working on and have a few questions:

1. My machine sometimes says "Firepower, mission accomplished" when i hit the start button (game is on free play). Is this normal or due to a game setting? Other than a ball not launching out, the game seems to be in game play mode. Switches and coils work, but give different sounds than the times it does not say "Firepower, mission accomplished" when the start button is pressed.

2. My "ball ramp thrower" (sol. 08) is not working during game mode or solenoid test mode, but the solenoid will fire when I ground Q29 driving that coil. I just replaced Q29 (visibly blown and tested open), but I suspect that the 2N4401 could be bad as well. One of the outer legs measured around 0.225 with my DDM on diode setting (granted, this was in circuit). I don't have a 2N4401 in stock. Will a 2N4403 or a 2N5401 work as a replacement?

Thanks!

#207 4 years ago

On start up, it's normal to say "Firepower". It says "Firepower Mission Accomplished" when you set a high score or win a free game.

#208 4 years ago

Hmm...I'll start by replacing the SCANBE sockets on the MPU. Sometimes a game will start properly and only say "Firepower", other times, it says the whole phrase. I'm not sure what else it could be.

2 weeks later
#209 4 years ago

Firepower was playing just fine, but now it will not start a new game. In the last game, ball one drained, but ball two never popped out. It's acting as if not enough balls are in the machine.

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Firepower was playing just fine, but now it will not start a new game. In the last game, ball one drained, but ball two never popped out. It's acting as if not enough balls are in the machine.

Remove the 3 balls from the machine. Open the coin door and go into switch test. Activate each switch to see if it shows up on the ball/credit display. If one of the three switches is not registering, Firepower will not start a game. This happened to me and I ended up replacing one of the switches since a new diode or a good cleaning didn't help. It works great now.

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

2. My "ball ramp thrower" (sol. 08) is not working during game mode or solenoid test mode, but the solenoid will fire when I ground Q29 driving that coil. I just replaced Q29 (visibly blown and tested open), but I suspect that the 2N4401 could be bad as well. One of the outer legs measured around 0.225 with my DDM on diode setting (granted, this was in circuit). I don't have a 2N4401 in stock. Will a 2N4403 or a 2N5401 work as a replacement?
Thanks!

I replaced all header pins on the CPU/Driver boards, new male/female 40 pin, new resistors for the lamp section, socketed and replaced 7408 that was driving the ball eject, replaced the 2N4401. All back together and the ball ejects into the shooter lane now. Wahoooo. Thanks for the help!

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Remove the 3 balls from the machine. Open the coin door and go into switch test. Activate each switch to see if it shows up on the ball/credit display. If one of the three switches is not registering, Firepower will not start a game. This happened to me and I ended up replacing one of the switches since a new diode or a good cleaning didn't help. It works great now.

I did the test. All coils fire. However for number 16 (coin lockout) I don't see or hear anything.

#213 4 years ago

Wait.. I need a switch test not a solenoid test. When I perform the switch test (Test 3) nothing happens. There is no display readings.

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Wait.. I need a switch test not a solenoid test. When I perform the switch test (Test 3) nothing happens. There is no display readings.

If all the balls are out of the game, then this is correct. Now manually close each switch in the trough (3 of them). The corresponding switch # will show up on the credit/ball display. Keep in mind the switch must be adjusted so that when the ball is in the trough, the travel of the switch is enough to engage the switch (which is usually less travel than what you can do with your finger).

#215 4 years ago

Coin lockout is the little coil on the coin mech.
In switch test, activating a switch should show the switch number in the credit display.

#216 4 years ago

OK, I manually placed my finger on each switch. See picture, the bottom switch did not display but the others did.

switch-test.jpg

#217 4 years ago

Check out the switch diagram to see what # switch that is. You also need to check the switch underneath where you wrote "51", the leaf switch that is going vertically. For the "no reading" switch, try jumping the gray/red wire lead to the yellow lead...does the switch show up? If so, it could be a diode, dirty leaf switch, or just a bad leaf switch all together. If jumping the wires together doesn't register the switch, you need to look up-stream on the switch matrix to see what else is on that switch's row/column. Could be a broken wire on another switch.

#218 4 years ago

SOLVED! Thank you. This was a good learning experience for me. (switch testing) The green wire was making a bad connection. It finally came off completely when I noticed it.

green-wire.jpg

#220 4 years ago

Beware of switches with the famous flipped blade issue. There were a lot of these in early Williams solid state machines. They can be disassembled and corrected, however the other contact may have it's gold plating worn by now.

switch_flipped blade.jpg

#221 4 years ago

I've still got my battery problem. I tried to reheat the solder joints, but I suck at soldering.

1. How do I test the board and find the bad connection?
2. Is there a non-soldering option of replacing the battery holder?

batt.JPG

#222 4 years ago

With game off, check the voltage at the RAM chip IC19 (5101), pin 22. Should be about 3.9 to 4.3 volts DC. If no 4 volts at pin 22, check the voltage at the blocking diode D17. If there is no voltage on the banded side of D17, but there is voltage on the non-banded side, replace it with a 1N4148.

There is no non-soldering option for replacing a battery holder.

1 month later
#223 4 years ago

I'd like to add red and blue under cabinet lighting. So when the red FIRE is lit, the red comes on below, same with the blue POWER. Any recommendations for under cabinet LEDs... ?

1 month later
#224 4 years ago

This is the beginning of my restore. Lots of work coming up for a great game !!

FP Begining.JPG
#225 4 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

This is the beginning of my restore. Lots of work coming up for a great game !!
Putting in Drop targets?
I have some ready to go in mine but can't get the courage to start messing with the wiring.

FP Begining.JPG 221 KB

1 week later
#226 4 years ago

Just picked up a Firepower last week and love it. Cab is above average as is the original play field. Back glass is also in great condition with just a couple of blemishes. Coin door is mint. Plays fast with a couple of raised inserts. Needs just a little TLC to make it really nice.

#227 4 years ago

How much are the CPR play fields? They sure do look nice!

#228 4 years ago

What was that sound -- did you hear something at club front door?

/knock
/knock
-mof

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

What was that sound -- did you hear something at club front door?
/knock
/knock
-mof

Wait what????????????

#230 4 years ago

Just put in new X-Pin displays in ours that we got for Christmas. So crisp and nice and no more high power fuse. Loving this machine. Still gotta work up the courage for the drop target assemblies sometime.

#231 4 years ago

Has anyone in the club done the drop targets? I think that is THE thing to aim for.
-mof

#232 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just put in new X-Pin displays in ours that we got for Christmas. So crisp and nice and no more high power fuse. Loving this machine. Still gotta work up the courage for the drop target assemblies sometime.

Did you go with traditional color? I need displays as I've lost a segment. Really annoying to look at.

#233 4 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Did you go with traditional color? I need displays as I've lost a segment. Really annoying to look at.

Yes. Orange. I like a stock look.
We put them in our Hot Tip last year and have been loving the look.
No high power and having a brightness dial are great advantages.

#234 4 years ago

Finally remembered to take a photo with the new LED displays.
The game is much more fun when you can tell your exact score and not have to guess. lol.

IMG_0260.JPG
#235 4 years ago

Looks good. Makes me want to spend the $180.

#236 4 years ago

Hmmm.

So trying to set up a Firepower

1. How do I get the outlane red "(S)" to light up? I feel like I have all the other settings correct.
2. With original boards, can I expect any sort of attract mode sounds?

-mof

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Has anyone in the club done the drop targets? I think that is THE thing to aim for.
-mof

I've swapped in a CPR field and if I could find reasonably priced drop mechs I would do it.

But I'm not sure if it's for everyone, it dramatically changes the speed of the game.

#239 4 years ago

Setting 35 controls specials & background sound.
Setting 34 controls extra ball & attract mode sounds.

FP attract sounds.jpg

#240 4 years ago

Thanks!
I got attract sounds ! With occasional talking -- and occasional blasts of sound effects for a few seconds.
-mof

#241 4 years ago

Does it talk in attract mode? Not sire I've ever tried turning this on...

#242 4 years ago

It will talk occasionally in attract mode.

#243 4 years ago

Does the Knocker work when the machine is set on free play? I tested it and it does work but can't get it to engage while playing. Like winning an extra ball or beating high score. Does it have something to do with settings?

#244 4 years ago

It might only fire with earned replay credits.

#245 4 years ago
Quoted from PonchoPinDude:

Does the Knocker work when the machine is set on free play? I tested it and it does work but can't get it to engage while playing. Like winning an extra ball or beating high score. Does it have something to do with settings?

Nope, FP free play setting is maximum # credits = 0. No awarding or purchase of credits above 0 means no knocker.

#246 4 years ago

I had a request to post photos of my backbox lighting I used in the photo above as well as some playfield shots with LED's. All bulbs are Comet Frosted.
Just red, blue and cool white in the backbox. Just noticed one is apparently burnt out already.
Playfied is just cool white for GI and color frosted under the inserts.
Photos are with the glass on. I was in a hurry.

IMG_0274.JPG IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0276.JPG IMG_0277.JPG
#247 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I had a request to post photos of my backbox lighting I used in the photo above as well as some playfield shots with LED's. All bulbs are Comet Frosted.
Just red, blue and cool white in the backbox. Just noticed one is apparently burnt out already.
Playfied is just cool white for GI and color frosted under the inserts.
Photos are with the glass on. I was in a hurry.

Yikes, that's a lot of PF glare.

I go ~10 47's in all my backboxes. I can't believe some people like to play with that much BG glare on the PF. (I get it on location, but not in a home)

-mof

#248 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Yikes, that's a lot of PF glare.
I go ~10 47's in all my backboxes. I can't believe some people like to play with that much BG glare on the PF. (I get it on location, but not in a home)
-mof

Those photos are taken without the Backglass in place.
It is not like that with it in. Lol

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I had a request to post photos of my backbox

Thank you looks great

#250 4 years ago

I used color 47s in my flakey backglass. I think I will stick with them even if I get a new one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 21.00
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bridgewater, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Willow Spring, NC
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
1,350 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Meriden, CT
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Thorndale, PA
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 2931 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 59.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside