IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 94.
#2201 5 years ago

Does anyone have a pdf file of the keylines and/or insert decals for firepower they would be willing to share?

#2203 5 years ago

Or, bigger?
20180509_200928 (resized).jpg20180509_200928 (resized).jpg

#2204 5 years ago

What is that?

#2205 5 years ago
Quoted from EAZ:

Does anyone have a pdf file of the keylines and/or insert decals for firepower they would be willing to share?

Go back to post 350 in this thread. I put them up a long time ago. It may show up as a black image (not sure why) but if you download it, it will be fine.

Never mind, just click on the image that Beatmaster posted and save the file...

#2206 5 years ago

Firepower hardtop! Yes! Too bad I've already got a CPR playfield in mine. Maybe I will take the original playfield and put the hardtop on it and see if anyone needs it...

#2207 5 years ago

Where do you get one those from ?
Any more still for sale?

#2208 5 years ago

Ooooh flip that baby over!

#2209 5 years ago

PINBALLGIFTS.COM

Hardtop:
FIREPOWER HT (resized).jpgFIREPOWER HT (resized).jpg

Installed prototype:
FP HT INSTALLED (resized).jpgFP HT INSTALLED (resized).jpg

#2210 5 years ago

Final ass'y picture:
FINAL FP_8168 (resized).JPGFINAL FP_8168 (resized).JPG

#2212 5 years ago

This is what i'm looking for, thanks! I really appreciate it.

#2213 5 years ago

oh man, how have i not seen this before. I do not want to see this after my many coats of clear, hours of touching up, decals etc. ARRRRGH. Thanks for posting again, it looks really nice.

#2215 5 years ago
Quoted from EAZ:

FirePower pinball decals.pdfFirePower pinball decals.pdf
1 week later
#2216 5 years ago

I started to clean up the Firepower I got, but when I plugged everything back in, I ended up with this two wire molecules plug that I cannot figure out where it goes. I also realized this machine has a rottendog MPU which I have heard mixed things about. Right now everything appears to work, but I can’t seem to get the game to start. I know the guy had it in free play, but I can’t figure out how to start a game :/. (Yes I know where the start button is)

289EB062-688C-41E0-8742-CC839F760C14 (resized).jpeg289EB062-688C-41E0-8742-CC839F760C14 (resized).jpeg630E4A4B-80C0-42BC-B2DD-6439C16EE49A (resized).jpeg630E4A4B-80C0-42BC-B2DD-6439C16EE49A (resized).jpeg
#2217 5 years ago

Never mind on the black+brown molex I found it hidden in the wire nest. Now I just can’t get the game to add credits or free play. Balls installed, and coindoor safety switch is closed.

I played it just before I moved it and it had no issue. :/

#2218 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I played it just before I moved it and it had no issue. :/

The ball trough switches can be finicky. Go into switch test mode with all three balls in there and make sure the switches are all closed. If you've got everything plugged in properly that's where I would start.

#2219 5 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

The ball trough switches can be finicky. Go into switch test mode with all three balls in there and make sure the switches are all closed. If you've got everything plugged in properly that's where I would start.

Ummmmm…yeah…three balls :/. Ok, it works. I thanks!

#2220 5 years ago

I'm trying to get a firepower up and running but not booting. Will it boot with the battery pack cut off?

#2221 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I'm trying to get a firepower up and running but not booting. Will it boot with the battery pack cut off?

Battery has no effect on booting. Have a look at this thread to learn how to bullet proof your System 6 board set. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

#2222 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Battery has no effect on booting. Have a look at this thread to learn how to bullet proof your System 6 board set. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

Ok, thanks. I did replace the 40 pin both sides. It does boot now but about 1 game and it will freeze up. Then it acts very strange after that. Just reflowed all connectors and ribbon cable pins. I will follow the power supply rebuild next if this doesn't work. My voltages seem fine though.

#2223 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

. It does boot now but about 1 game and it will freeze up.

Boot up the game into attract mode.

Gently twist each socketed IC in both directions, like you are tweaking an old-time radio dial.

Whichever IC makes the game freeze is the one that needs a new socket.

#2224 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gently twist each socketed IC in both directions, like you are tweaking an old-time radio dial.

Ok! Thanks. I just hope it will get back into attract. Letting all my boards dry before firing back up. Cleaned the edges where connectors were.

#2225 5 years ago

Strange. I now getting arcing between pins 3 and 4 on 3j5. It does not show during a continuity test between the pins either.

20180722_102711 (resized).jpg20180722_102711 (resized).jpg
#2226 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Strange. I now getting arcing between pins 3 and 4 on 3j5. It does not show during a continuity test between the pins either.

There may be enough voltage to bridge that crud between the pins and create a connection with the machine on. The low voltage of the meter might not be enough to make a connection through it. Just like lightning: if there is enough voltage difference, the charge will blast through air, a great insulator normally!

If I recall, Vid recommended clear nail polish in a pinch to cover up errant scratches and such to prevent this once the area is cleaned.

#2227 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

There may be enough voltage to bridge that crud between the pins and create a connection with the machine on. The low voltage of the meter might not be enough to make a connection through it. Just like lightning: if there is enough voltage difference, the charge will blast through air, a great insulator normally!
If I recall, Vid recommended clear nail polish in a pinch to cover up errant scratches and such to prevent this once the area is cleaned.

Thanks!

#2228 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Got it into attract mode and no ic's changed it. Took about 2 min and it locked up though. If it sits a while it will turn on and then fade. The longer I leave it off the more time till it freezes.

Would this indicate power supply? I am gonna check to see if I can sub in my Comet power supply to test.

#2229 5 years ago

Just to add to La_Porta's comments: If the arcing were bad enough to create carbon between the pins, you will have to clean out the carbon before sealing it. I had the same issue between two pins, and ended up having to remove the carbon before I lost continuity between the pins. It sounds like you didn't have a lot of carbon, so you should be OK with your boards.

#2230 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

3J5 pin 3 is -100v supply
3J5 pin 4 is +100v supply

200V differential between those 2 pins

Arcing is fairly easy when the voltage differential is 200V. Clean those pads thoroughly with contact cleaner or flux remover. Make sure solder is not extending past the edge of the pads.

Once the game locks up, feel the chips on the CPU and driver boards for one that is unusually hot. If they are just warm, that's normal.

If nothing is hot, I'll bet you have a bad ROM socket or CPU socket and/or dirty legs on your ROM or CPU chips. I replace all the sockets on System 6/7 boards I want bullet proof. Vid's guide calls out Scanbe sockets but I've seen all manufacturers fail on 6/7 boards.

I doubt it is the power supply unless there is a cold solder joint on one of the header pins or components. I would reflow the solder on the header pins of the CPU, Driver, Power supply and sound boards. Better yet, replace the header pins.

#2231 5 years ago

Hi fellas, need a quick answer: I’m installing new FIRE rollover switches. I replaced “RE” and now am up to “FI”. However, the FI switches look to me like they are wired incorrectly. Per the diagram (and simple common sense), one would think thay a current would run in, through the diode, into the switch, and out the other relay. Well, the last two look like this:

0EB14476-00BE-4406-AEB9-153E0D9777E6 (resized).jpeg0EB14476-00BE-4406-AEB9-153E0D9777E6 (resized).jpeg1C1107FF-72AF-4324-BA2D-089C67F0AEE1 (resized).jpeg1C1107FF-72AF-4324-BA2D-089C67F0AEE1 (resized).jpeg

The wires connect from one end to the other through the switch, and the diode just grounds off at the common soldering post at the top. Who would do that?? Is it just me or does that make no sense? Someone F this up back when?

#2232 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Hi fellas, need a quick answer: I’m installing new FIRE rollover switches. I replaced “RE” and now am up to “FI”. However, the FI switches look to me like they are wired incorrectly. Per the diagram (and simple common sense), one would think thay a current would run in, through the diode, into the switch, and out the other relay. Well, the last two look like this:

The wires connect from one end to the other through the switch, and the diode just grounds off at the common soldering post at the top. Who would do that?? Is it just me or does that make no sense? Someone F this up back when?

Hope this helps

20180723_181220 (resized).jpg20180723_181220 (resized).jpg20180723_181229 (resized).jpg20180723_181229 (resized).jpg20180723_181241 (resized).jpg20180723_181241 (resized).jpg20180723_181254 (resized).jpg20180723_181254 (resized).jpg
#2233 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Wow! Looks like someone soldered a new diode on that switch incorrectly.

#2234 5 years ago

Yeah I knew it made no sense. I redid it correctly on my new switches. I think it still worked because a connection was still made just not with the diode.

#2235 5 years ago

I've run into a weird issue with my Firepower. The game is resetting when both flippers are activated at the exact same time. It took me awhile to figure out when it was happening. I have a rottendog replacement board. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've had the board in there for a couple of years and it seems the problem just showed up.

thanks,

#2236 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Yeah I knew it made no sense. I redid it correctly on my new switches. I think it still worked because a connection was still made just not with the diode.

Truly odd. It almost looks like it was soldered wrong at the factory.

The way it was wired, It was essentially a switch with a shorted diode. That can cause phantom switch hits in the switch matrix. Since it was one of the top lanes, it probably caused no harm. If it was a trough switch or one of the scoop switches, it probably would have caused more issues.

#2237 5 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I've run into a weird issue with my Firepower. The game is resetting when both flippers are activated at the exact same time. It took me awhile to figure out when it was happening. I have a rottendog replacement board. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've had the board in there for a couple of years and it seems the problem just showed up.
thanks,

I don't have direct experience with this but since you have a new RD board, look to the power supply board. I would start with reflowing solder to the connector header pins or better yet, replace them.

#2238 5 years ago

Canoncity -

Check the power supply, especially the 5 volts - monitor the voltage and have someone operate both flippers to see if the power dips. You may be better off using an analog meter, but try with a digital. If the power dips, then you found the cause. Otherwise, check the diodes on the flipper coils - I have a machine that eats the coil diodes, and when a diode goes bad, and you flip both flippers, the machine resets. Note you have to lift one end of the diode to check it.
Report back.

#2239 5 years ago

Has anyone had the issue where the ball count won't advance? Started happening recently on my FP and it will intermittently stay on a ball count again and again. No other associated issues.

Thanks in advance.

#2240 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

look to the power supply board

Quoted from Billc479:

Check the power supply, especially the 5 volts

Quoted from Billc479:

check the diodes on the flipper coils

I'll check it out and report back. It might be a couple of days. Thanks

#2241 5 years ago
Quoted from apk8488:

Has anyone had the issue where the ball count won't advance? Started happening recently on my FP and it will intermittently stay on a ball count again and again. No other associated issues.
Thanks in advance.

Meaning, say, ball #1 (will show 3 balls left in the display) will drain, the score will add up, ball will pop into the shooter lane...but the count will stay at 3?

#2242 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Meaning, say, ball #1 (will show 3 balls left in the display) will drain, the score will add up, ball will pop into the shooter lane...but the count will stay at 3?

Balls don’t count down on firepower they count up. Ball one it’s says 1, ball 2 it says 2.....

This game has issues with the trough switches and can pass the ball through from time to time. Do some glass off testing. I’ve seen before that if only a few switches are hit, it gives the ball back. Not consistent though. Not sure why it does that from time to time.

#2243 5 years ago

Thanks for the brain fart correction on the counting down...

#2244 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Balls don’t count down on firepower they count up. Ball one it’s says 1, ball 2 it says 2.....
This game has issues with the trough switches and can pass the ball through from time to time. Do some glass off testing. I’ve seen before that if only a few switches are hit, it gives the ball back. Not consistent though. Not sure why it does that from time to time.

That's exactly what's happening. Ball 1 drains...I get ball 1 again...and again...or ball 2.

#2245 5 years ago
Quoted from apk8488:

That's exactly what's happening. Ball 1 drains...I get ball 1 again...and again...or ball 2.

Check your replace you trough switches. You’re probably not getting good continuity on one or multiple ones.

#2246 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Check your replace you trough switches. You’re probably not getting good continuity on one or multiple ones.

And whenever troubleshooting individual switch problems on a Firepower, always check that the switch was assembled correctly from the factory. If the large side of the contacts aren't facing each other, you have to disassemble the switch stack and flip a leaf then re-assemble, clean, and adjust.

If you can get hold of the parts, the real solution is to convert the trough to microswitches as they are far more reliable; the leaf switch multiball trough was problematic from the start and it wasn't much later that Williams began using microswitches for that very reason.

Richard

#2247 5 years ago

Well, I installed my cliffy protector and replaced my shooter lane ball eject cam arm, and have two problems. One is that the cliffy is too wide by 1/16 inch or so...what I mean by that is if I move it to fit properly over the ball trough, it impeeds the straight firing of the ball by a hair...not Motoblur in play, but will eventually scratch up the balls. If I align it with the shooter lane, then it covers part of the ball trough and impeeds the balls getting all the way to the end of the trough. I’m worried about the latter because...

Now that I changed the cam arm (and coil spring sleeve), the ball rockets out of the trough like a bat out of hell. The problem with that is it is colliding with the underside of the apron and sometimes not even making it into the trough. I’ve tried adjusting the lane width at the exit to no avail. I had a new spring I bought for the mechanism as well, but that put even more power behind the ball. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong adjusting these things. Anyone have suggestions?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2248 5 years ago

Well I now have a full set of boards for my project! The only thing confirmed to work is the speech board. If you have any tips/upgrades specific to firepower let me know. Looks like I need some roms and a little corrosion work. Can't wait to play this thing!

IMG_5381 (resized).JPGIMG_5381 (resized).JPGIMG_5913 (resized).JPGIMG_5913 (resized).JPGIMG_5914 (resized).JPGIMG_5914 (resized).JPGIMG_5915 (resized).JPGIMG_5915 (resized).JPG
#2249 5 years ago

Best resource for that: Vid’s Bulletproofing guide. I’d also recommend an NVRAM upgrade, and solenoid fuse board.

#2250 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Well, I installed my cliffy protector and replaced my shooter lane ball eject cam arm, and have two problems. One is that the cliffy is too wide by 1/16 inch or so...what I mean by that is if I move it to fit properly over the ball trough, it impeeds the straight firing of the ball by a hair...not Motoblur in play, but will eventually scratch up the balls. If I align it with the shooter lane, then it covers part of the ball trough and impeeds the balls getting all the way to the end of the trough. I’m worried about the latter because...
Now that I changed the cam arm (and coil spring sleeve), the ball rockets out of the trough like a bat out of hell. The problem with that is it is colliding with the underside of the apron and sometimes not even making it into the trough. I’ve tried adjusting the lane width at the exit to no avail. I had a new spring I bought for the mechanism as well, but that put even more power behind the ball. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong adjusting these things. Anyone have suggestions?

You can trim/adjust the cliffy with a belt sander or a large sanding disk with a fine grit disk/belt along the straight edge. I make tons of stuff with a break and shear using stainless steel kick plates used on the bottom of doors and use this method. Something somilier to this. If you don't have access to one you can lay a larger piece of sandpaper flat and rub the edge you want to work back and forth. Works much faster than you would think.
IMG_4526 (resized).JPGIMG_4526 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/45?hl=apk8488 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.