IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 94.
#2101 5 years ago

I have the sling lights installed on my machine if you want pictures.

#2102 5 years ago

Here are some pictures of the post flashers installed. The thin black and grey wires that are attached to the coil are the ones from the flasher. I'm running two off of each coil. The Pinball Life flashers had 3 solder pads on them. I think you use a different set if you are going to wire them to GI or if you want them to flash. I will see if I can find the install instructions.

postflash6 (resized).jpgpostflash6 (resized).jpg
postflash7 (resized).jpgpostflash7 (resized).jpg
postflasth1 (resized).jpgpostflasth1 (resized).jpg
postflash2 (resized).jpgpostflash2 (resized).jpg

#2103 5 years ago
#2104 5 years ago

These FPII plastics dont show up often, saw this in market and posting here in case someone needs them...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/64127

#2105 5 years ago

Anyone going to Pintastic in Mass this June?

#2106 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

I decided earlier this week to go. Posted about it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintastic-2018-ticket-sales-are-open-le-premium-and-pro-packages/page/3#post-4404281

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my LED Skee display boards for Model H & Model S Skee Ball

#2107 5 years ago

Found a backglass for my project. Can't wait to hear this thing fire up! Still need a sound and speech board for sure. Possibly a power board as well.

Still not done cleaning but making progress.

IMG_5314 (resized).JPGIMG_5314 (resized).JPG

5F25F4B1-89F0-4E2D-ADEB-74FD6E6BB99A (resized).jpg5F25F4B1-89F0-4E2D-ADEB-74FD6E6BB99A (resized).jpg

#2108 5 years ago

I have a Firepower that has been working great, but last night I noticed the 1-4 players and shoot again bulbs in the backbox don't light up. Tried in diagnostic mode and all other bulbs light up except these ones. Anyone ever have this issue before?

#2109 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

I'll be there

#2110 5 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

I have a Firepower that has been working great, but last night I noticed the 1-4 players and shoot again bulbs in the backbox don't light up. Tried in diagnostic mode and all other bulbs light up except these ones. Anyone ever have this issue before?

Stupid question of me but did you change/check the bulbs?

#2111 5 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Are TILT, GAME OVER, and HI SCORE TO DATE lights out also? I'm no guru at this stuff, but those 3 plus the other 5 you mentioned are all on the same column of the lamp matrix. Says YEL/GRY wire but I can't find the connector associated with that that wire in the schematic, but I suppose either a break in that wire, bad connector, cracked solder at that pin on the board, or the driver on the board.

#2112 5 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Quoted from La_Porta:
I'll be there

Me too. I'll have a small KAHR.US Circuits vendor space somewhere near the free play. I will have all my products available (some in limited quantity) but I'll only be open for 4-5 hours on Friday and Saturday. I'm going to enjoy the show!

If you are thinking of traveling up, Southwest has pretty good fares to Hartford, CT which is relatively close to the show. I've been once before and it's a fun show.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

#2113 5 years ago

I checked the bulbs, they are good.

The tilt, high score and game over work, but the shoot again does not. I will take a look at lamp matrix and track down the wires / connectors.

Quoted from swillie:

Are TILT, GAME OVER, and HI SCORE TO DATE lights out also? I'm no guru at this stuff, but those 3 plus the other 5 you mentioned are all on the same column of the lamp matrix. Says YEL/GRY wire but I can't find the connector associated with that that wire in the schematic, but I suppose either a break in that wire, bad connector, cracked solder at that pin on the board, or the driver on the board.

#2114 5 years ago

Are you bringing the FPII you picked up there last year? I'm bringing my FP along.

#2115 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Are you bringing the FPII you picked up there last year? I'm bringing my FP along.

nah, I'm leaving that one at home. I need another year with it at least I'm bringing my star wars pro hoping someone looking for a NIB wants to save a few hundred $

#2116 5 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

nah, I'm leaving that one at home. I need another year with it at least I'm bringing my star wars pro hoping someone looking for a NIB wants to save a few hundred $

Sweet. I want to try it out, as I never got a chance last year. You're welcome to play some FP on my end as well!

#2117 5 years ago

Well, I finally got my lazy ass around to getting my firepower running, again. I give up on the original board set, been over it a bunch of times and it just never stays fixed. I'm convinced there's a bad internal trace near the 40-pin. So it's got a rotten dog set now, which I'm so far quite impressed with the engineering work on it.

Sound is currently out, probably a bad buffer, going by the symptoms. Will order new chips in the next day or two. Also already ordered some LED's from Comet for the inserts. Brighten it up a bit, GI will come later.

However it's playing, and playing nicely, so I'm pretty happy now. Salivating at the rumor of a hardtop being available soon for it. And to think, I came THIIIIIIS close to selling it.

#2118 5 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

THIIIIIIS close to selling it

You have drops in yours, yes? Once you do that, it's never for sale.
-mof

#2119 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

You have drops in yours, yes? Once you do that, it's never for sale.
-mof

Believe it or not, no, I don't. My other games are drop-target heavy (Black Knight and Stellar Wars). I kept the standups for the variety.

#2120 5 years ago

What are you going to do with those boards?...

#2121 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

What are you going to do with those boards?...

The original CPU and Driver? They don't currently work, but I'm going to actively look for somebody to buy them.

-Hans

#2122 5 years ago

Has anyone (besides me) picked up the new(er) Firepower reproduction backglass? Marco and PPS have/had them. The colors and mirroring look good, but the artwork or printing, on mine at least, isn't quite perfect. It will probably look good enough when it's in the game and you're a few feet away though.

IMG_6401 (resized).JPGIMG_6401 (resized).JPG

IMG_6400 (resized).JPGIMG_6400 (resized).JPG

IMG_6402 (resized).JPGIMG_6402 (resized).JPG

IMG_6403 (resized).JPGIMG_6403 (resized).JPG

IMG_6404 (resized).JPGIMG_6404 (resized).JPG

#2123 5 years ago

I snagged one from Mayfair in Allentown a few weeks back. Haven't looked at it super closely though.

#2124 5 years ago
Quoted from Lido:

Has anyone (besides me) picked up the new(er) Firepower reproduction backglass? Marco and PPS have/had them. The colors and mirroring look good, but the artwork or printing, on mine at least, isn't quite perfect. It will probably look good enough when it's in the game and you're a few feet away though.

There have been a few threads about those new backglasses. The manufacturer (outside edge here on the forum)and pps have been replacing if you call them.

#2125 5 years ago

I have one. I'm 100% satisfied. It blew my old glass out of the water. I'll admit, I never got THAT close to it!

#2126 5 years ago
Quoted from Lido:

it's pretty bad, i don't understand why it got shipped.

#2127 5 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

it's pretty bad, i don't understand why it got shipped.

I'll get some comparison pics of mine tomorrow so we can see if there is a difference.

#2128 5 years ago

I'm not happy with mine at all compared to the Mayfair that this was supposed to replace. The black inks at the perimeter is very thin, streaky and splotchy, the "red" in the score windows is more pink, and the white mask on top of all the ink is thin and doesn't cover the entire BG so it let's the LED bulbs' points of light shine through resulting in very uneven and distracting light. You can actually see the SMD's through the BG. I'm much happier with the Mayfair (except for the blues) which is why I got the newest version but I put the Mayfair back in. So now I've got an expensive doorstop. I contacted PPS but never heard back so I contacted Outside directly. To sum up, Bruce said he'd only heard from 2 people (including me) about issues and this is the best they have and a replacement would be the same. He admitted the blacks were thin but the red was a tough call to pick a hue from all of the sample original BG's so that pink hue is intentional. He also said they "may" do another run in in several months and I could get a replacement then....if it's run again. I'm not too hopeful.

#2129 5 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

and the white mask on top of all the ink is thin and doesn't cover the entire BG so it let's the LED bulbs' points of light shine through resulting in very uneven and distracting light. You can actually see the SMD's through the BG

The thin white mask is exactly what I wasn’t happy with. Whether using leds & incandescent globes their was the distracting pinpointing as a result.

To address the pinpointing from the globes (I have used incandescent globes) you need to install condoms on all the globes. Looks fine then. Only thing is it dims the brightness of the backglass overall a bit.

#2130 5 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

The thin white mask is exactly what I wasn’t happy with. Whether using leds & incandescent globes their was the distracting pinpointing as a result.
To address the pinpointing from the globes (I have used incandescent globes) you need to install condoms on all the globes. Looks fine then. Only thing is it dims the brightness of the backglass overall a bit.

Try these and paint the tops white.

http://www.cometpinball.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=2SMD

Always worked for me to spread the light evenly and avoid spotting.

#2131 5 years ago

I have a firepower in my shed waiting to be restored.

#2132 5 years ago

I'm pretty satisfied with the register of mine. I'll show mine; it isn't as close top as yours but you get the idea.

IMG_4033 (resized).JPGIMG_4033 (resized).JPG

IMG_4034 (resized).JPGIMG_4034 (resized).JPG

IMG_4035 (resized).JPGIMG_4035 (resized).JPG

IMG_4036 (resized).JPGIMG_4036 (resized).JPG

IMG_4037 (resized).JPGIMG_4037 (resized).JPG

#2133 5 years ago

I just picked up a Firepower and I need a few parts, plus some help/links if anyone would be so kind.

- tutorial on how to replace the lock in the back box (the bracket looks okay)
- Inkochnito Bridge Board
- plastics set
- cliffy lane guides

Feel free to pm me if you have any of that stuff laying around.

#2134 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

I'm pretty satisfied with the register of mine. I'll show mine; it isn't as close top as yours but you get the idea.

That looks a little better, but possibly just because of the distance.

#2135 5 years ago

I looked versus my original glass and, yes, the original had dead-on straight lines, and some on my new one are slightly curved (like the “3rd” text), but I don’t have any of the chrome bleed issues that you showed me on your “Firepower” text. Not sure what to say about that.

#2136 5 years ago

Here's a quick video playing tonight. Thanks to Vid's guide on making pops fast! No one can say FP is a boringly slow game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf06697kpmwj4tf/MVI_4040.mov?dl=0

#2137 5 years ago

I picked up my first fire power last week and Im really enjoying it.

The sound is a little flaky so I purchased the caps to redo the board. One thing that is pretty strange is that the background sound continues after the game is over and doesn't seem to stop unless you start a new game. Does anyone have an idea to why? Im not familiar with this game so maybe its just a setting or something.

#2138 5 years ago

Quick rules question: What is the best use of shots being in multi-ball? I don't see 3x scoring on the playfield -- are there any shots we should be taking?
-mof

#2139 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Quick rules question: What is the best use of shots being in multi-ball? I don't see 3x scoring on the playfield -- are there any shots we should be taking?
-mof

Pretty much anything that will score points (spinner, etc), and try and get 5x via FIRE. It’s the first multiball game; having more than one ball in play was a novelty - just banging them around was the point back then.

#2140 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

banging them around

ok -- so zero scoring benefit, thanks! But at least you have a strategy on how to use that time.

#2141 5 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Pretty much anything that will score points (spinner, etc), and try and get 5x via FIRE. It’s the first multiball game; having more than one ball in play was a novelty - just banging them around was the point back then.

This!

There is no real benefit. I think the best way to crank points is to push the multipliers up and light the spinner.

#2142 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

Only if you have Okaegi's home roms installed.

Firepower multiball and award sequence:
1) Multiball starts. "Fire 1... Fire 2... Fire 3..." (as normal).
2) Middle stand up target banks are reset (all strobing)
3) Player must hit all 6 standups. Accomplishing this enables all three locks (green "lock" arrows are flashing) and throws in an uncalled sound effect to signal for next step.
4) Player must shoot the 3 balls *back* into the enabled lock holes during multiball to score the 600'000 point award. CPU makes speech call: "Mission Accomplished".
5) Multiball restarts (back to step #1)

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

#2143 5 years ago
Quoted from mwsmith:

Only if you have Okaegi's home roms installed.
Firepower multiball and award sequence:
1) Multiball starts. "Fire 1... Fire 2... Fire 3..." (as normal).
2) Middle stand up target banks are reset (all strobing)
3) Player must hit all 6 standups. Accomplishing this enables all three locks (green "lock" arrows are flashing) and throws in an uncalled sound effect to signal for next step.
4) Player must shoot the 3 balls *back* into the enabled lock holes during multiball to score the 600'000 point award. CPU makes speech call: "Mission Accomplished".
5) Multiball restarts (back to step #1)
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

Updating to 7 digit displays makes this custom ROM set all the better.

Richard

fp7digit3 (resized).jpgfp7digit3 (resized).jpg

#2144 5 years ago

Well, back to 90% operational now. Still some funky sound problems, getting incorrect sound call-outs, which testing leads me to believe a faulty PIA.
Also no speech at the moment, but could be same problem.

At least the game plays again, which feels great. Went with some Comet domed LED's as well. Didn't want the super-sparkly look, just a bit more richness to the colors, and these were a great match. Still looks pretty nicely era-appropriate, just a bit 'cleaner'.

-Hans

#2145 5 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Went with some Comet domed LED's as well.

I think just about every bulb in my game are frosted LEDs. Looks much nicer than the bare LEDs in my opinion and doesn't blind you!

#2146 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I picked up my first fire power last week and Im really enjoying it.
The sound is a little flaky so I purchased the caps to redo the board. One thing that is pretty strange is that the background sound continues after the game is over and doesn't seem to stop unless you start a new game. Does anyone have an idea to why? Im not familiar with this game so maybe its just a setting or something.

Background sounds - or not - is a setting.

There isn't a setting that would make them continue past the end of the game. You either have a sound board issue or the solenoids outputs from the driver board that selects the sounds to be played are not working reliably.

#2147 5 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

Updating to 7 digit displays makes this custom ROM set all the better.
Richard

Do you like the custom ROM with the "missions" ? I sent okaegi advice on adding the spinner skill shot and a few other things. He went much further and added the missions. To this day I have never played this version, only have the 7-digit software version.
Marcel

#2148 5 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

Do you like the custom ROM with the "missions" ? I sent okaegi advice on adding the spinner skill shot and a few other things. He went much further and added the missions. To this day I have never played this version, only have the 7-digit software version.
Marcel

Yep! The spinner skill shot is a tough one; I find myself needing to launch soft enough to miss the jets, or the spinner times out (or bails apparently because of a certain number of switch hits?) - my jets are really active so if I launch normally the ball gets tied up in there before I can get a chance at the spinner skill shot, but it's cool when I do get it.

I definitely try for the multiball mission but I have to admit my skill level has fallen off greatly over the years as I play far less often. I work stupid long shifts so my free time is pretty limited.

Richard

#2149 5 years ago

I wish firepower 2 got enough love to have fancy custom roms with missions.

#2150 5 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I think just about every bulb in my game are frosted LEDs. Looks much nicer than the bare LEDs in my opinion and doesn't blind you!

Completely agree, and the frosted ones look fantastic in my eyes. Just a hair sharper, giving it a hair more modern look, and taking a bit of the old and yellow look away.

Strangely enough, the sounds started working perfectly today all on their own. Dunno if it just needed to warm up or something, I'll have to dig deeper into the issue. But for the first time in a couple years I actually had the entire lineup working flawlessly when we had people over for a BBQ today. Felt great to play a proper game on it, with all the right sounds, and I was in a groove too. Was worried I might actually flip it over a million for the first time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/43?hl=granitestatepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.