Topic Stats

• 3,107 posts
  • 275 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 hours ago by manples
  • Topic is favorited by 117 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 803 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191008_213729 (resized).jpg
20191008_213632 (resized).jpg
20191008_213800 (resized).jpg
20191008_213616 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128 (resized).JPG
IMG_4127 (resized).JPG
IMG_20190911_204026 (resized).jpg
IMG_2426[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_2420[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_20190901_102204__01 (resized).jpg
Flipper switch (resized).jpg
IMG_20190901_083108 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190901_081734__01__01 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190901_174419 (resized).jpg
IMG20190901174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190901_181402 (resized).jpg

There are 3107 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 63.
#151 5 years ago

Bump for the question 8 posts from the bottom on page 3 about tapping 12V.

-Steve Ridge

3 weeks later
#152 5 years ago

Silly question. Placement of the three AA batteries... Should the positive side face down on all the batteries? I replaced the batteries and now I get a 1497 2 error code.

#153 5 years ago

That's your game revision number. Turn off and back on again.

For batteries, the spring goes on the flat side.

#154 5 years ago

Thanks... After a few hours of searching and discovering the Firepower manual, I got it worked out. I guess my new batteries were not so good and everything was reset.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Thanks... After a few hours of searching and discovering the Firepower manual, I got it worked out. I guess my new batteries were not so good and everything was reset.

The game reset when you pulled out your old batteries.

#156 5 years ago

Well, now it's resetting after every power cycle. The batteries are in the wrong order, or I've damaged the board somehow. Lesson learned... Take a picture before screwing around...

DSC_5456.JPG

It looks clean.

DSC_5460.JPG

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Silly question. Placement of the three AA batteries... Should the positive side face down on all the batteries? I replaced the batteries and now I get a 1497 2 error code.

There is a + printed on the board .. its at the bottom .. all three the same.
Open the coin door and turn the power off then on ..If it continues booting in audit mode look at the 5110. maybe a re-seat or a new one.

#158 5 years ago

My bad about the flat part going to the spring side, my battery holder must not have been original before it was replaced with the one that's on there now.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Well, now it's resetting after every power cycle. The batteries are in the wrong order, or I've damaged the board somehow. Lesson learned... Take a picture before screwing around...

It looks clean.

Install all 3 batteries with the bump down (positive end). Spin them in the socket a little to ensure there is a good connection.

Turn the machine on. It will start with the error you listed above.

Open the coin door. Turn the machine off and on very quickly. You may have to try it several times to get it to take. Eventually it will start into attract mode. (it will do this even without batteries installed).

Give it a few minutes or play a game.

Turn it off. Wait 30 seconds. Turn it back on and see if it starts into attract mode.

#160 5 years ago

So, Where is the best place to get the 40 pin connector and headers ? Part Numbers please. Thanks

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

So, Where is the best place to get the 40 pin connector and headers ? Part Numbers please. Thanks

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=82

2 weeks later
#163 5 years ago

Does anyone have, or can someone make, a scan of their stand-up target decal? Looking for something super-high-resolution like 1200 dpi, so I can see every little detail and run it thru a tracing program. TIA.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Does anyone have, or can someone make, a scan of their stand-up target decal? Looking for something super-high-resolution like 1200 dpi, so I can see every little detail and run it thru a tracing program. TIA.

BAA has a great reproduction set for $16.00

#165 5 years ago

Spinners and Targets (pic looks ganked, but it dowloads fine)

SpinnerAndTargets.pdf

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

There's a set on the Firepower Pinball website...

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/downloads/SpinnerAndTargets.pdf

#167 5 years ago

Thanks guys. I have indeed downloaded that one, I'm just super-picky about accuracy and I'd prefer to recreate it myself, since I'm working on a few other decals too. If you look at the numerals on those drop targets you can see that some shortcuts were made in recreating the artwork, so I'm only using that FP site if I can't otherwise get a good scan.

2 weeks later
#168 5 years ago

I've got so much to learn...
I get intermittent problems with the "F" in the FIRE lane and the center POWER target. They simply don't work. I cleaned both switches, but still not working.
Also, the score displays gets all screwy from time to time. After checking the board connection for the displays, the displays now look great and the FIRE and the POWER targets are also working. I never would of guessed that a bad display connection would effect the PF. Now, if only I can get my batteries to work.

display.jpg

#169 5 years ago

Reseating the connectors on the CPU and Driver board usually takes care of the problem temporarily. It's going to happen more and more often. Your boards and connectors really need to be re-pinned. For myself, removing the the two boards and reflowing the solder on the back of the connections cured all my problems. Do you have battery leakage damage around the battery holder? You really need to purchase a remote battery holder and get the batteries off of the board itself.

Jack

#170 5 years ago

Just picked up a Firepower last week for $250. The playfield and backglass are both very good.
I just started on the boards last night. Getting rid of all the Scanbe IC chip sockets and replacing the 40 pin interconnect as well. I have already done most of the IC sockets thanks to the Hakko 808.
Then I also have the capacitor kit from Great Plains so I can get rid of all the original ones on the power board.
Have already done a complete playfield tear down, clean and rebuild. This game should be quite a show piece when finished. Glad to finally be in the club.
Some quick questions. Some of my standup tartgets are white circles, some are solid red, and some say Fire Power on them. Which ones are stock?
Also I see they left the switches on the game that are behind the standup target banks. Was this done on purpose? Because there is no way to ever hit them unless you had the original drop targets in place.

Here are some photos before the cleaning got started.

IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1411.JPG IMG_1412.JPG IMG_1414.JPG IMG_1415.JPG
#171 5 years ago

I believe these are the original stock stickers. Earlier in this thread, Vid posted the target and spinner pictures.
For $250, what a great find!!

DSC_5471.JPG

#172 5 years ago

Yes, awesome find for even 4X that price!

Red targets with Firepower stickers on the 6 center targets. Red with white circles for the 3 "power" targets on the right and the single target on the top.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Yes, awesome find for even 4X that price!
Red targets with Firepower stickers on the 6 center targets. Red with white circles for the 3 "power" targets on the right and the single target on the top.

Thanks a bunch. That is great info to have on the targets.
Do all Firepower games have the contact switches behind the center banks like mine does?
Are they hooked up and can score during a game if hit with your finger?
Just curious.
I just had to throw a few LED's in the backbox before I pulled all the boards out.

IMG_1425.JPG
#174 5 years ago

That's a fantastic find for that price, looks like it should clean up really nice.

#175 5 years ago

I probably would have paid that just for the backglass.. you did well

#176 5 years ago

Thanks for the compliments guys.
I did not even try to talk the guy down anymore. I just flat out said, I'll take it. lol.
I realized what a great deal it was the second I saw the listing.

Any info on those two leaf switches behind the standups? I know I will figure it out once I get it up and running but I can't try it out till I get the boards back in place.

Tonight I got the battery holder off, replaced both 40 pin male and female, put new lamp resistors in place and got the cap kit installed on the power board.
All I really have left is a few Scanbe sockets to replace because my local electronics store did not have enough in stock. Now I gotta wait until they get more.

IMG_1434.JPG IMG_1435.JPG IMG_1436.JPG IMG_1437.JPG
#177 5 years ago

Replacing the 40 pin.. Does that require soldering? I'm scared to touch any boards.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Replacing the 40 pin.. Does that require soldering? I'm scared to touch any boards.

Yes. 80 solder joints if you do both male and female sides.
I would not even attempt it if I did not have the hakko 808 desolder gun that vacuums out the old solder.
Soldering in the new pins is very easy.
But if you have not done much solder work, I would not recommend it as your first task.

#179 5 years ago

Started a tech thread for my game. Got it up and running for a bit today.
Did not want to clutter the club page with tech stuff so here is the link if anyone can help me out some.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-not-starting-a-game-now#post-1811473

Problem solved. Had a wire come loose from a trough switch and that caused the game not to start.

#180 5 years ago

Well, I still have battery problems. Anyone see anything wrong here?

bottom battery holder.jpg

top-battery-holder.jpg

#181 5 years ago

1. You have a cold solder joint at the top of the first battery on the negative side. Re-flow new solder to this joint.

2. Also, take out the batteries and look at the holder's pads. I'm guessing that one or more may have corrosion from a small leak(s) in the past and not making contact.

If so: Take a flat object like a popcicle stick and wrap one end in 600 grit sandpaper and sand the pads smooth again.

Re-install fresh batteries and power the machine back up. Please post back your results!

#182 5 years ago

Just removed my battery holder last week. It was a mess.
Got a new one coming from Pinball Life and putting lithium batteries in it so no more corrosion.
Not a big fan of the remote battery packs hanging off the board when they need to be worked on.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Not a big fan of the remote battery packs hanging off the board when they need to be worked on.

You could solder a short length of wire with a 9V battery connector to your board, and then another 9V connector to your remote. Then you can detach it if you need to, and you only have a short wire left attached to your board.

#184 5 years ago

To repair that one solder joint, do I need to remove the board?

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just removed my battery holder last week. It was a mess.
Got a new one coming from Pinball Life and putting lithium batteries in it so no more corrosion.

I'm planning on using the PinForge 5101 RAM Adapter to eliminate my batteries completely.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

To repair that one solder joint, do I need to remove the board?

Yes!

The last joint looks like someone already did this in the past, so this might possibly be a reoccurring problem.

It might be best to just replace the holder with a new one from Steve Young:

http://www.pbresource.com/

#187 5 years ago

I wonder about using a lithium back-up battery in a williams system 6 (or other) safety wise.

I had a situation where my gorgar AA batteries were going bad only after a few months of replacement & had started too leak, turns out the blocking diode had failed & so the batteries received a charge causing them to fail & leak.

If you have a lithium battery as a back-up & the blocking diode fails allowing the battery to recieve a constant charge, from what I have read these batteries have a high possibility of exploding if charged.

So in essence reliance is solely on the blocking diode as the only safety measure?

I imagine these batteries are used in many other devices as a back-up power from new & I guess their is a safety measure in place so the battery does not get charged, maybe just a blocking diode?

#188 5 years ago

Thanks to the help of so many Pinside members my Firepower is up and running.
So many people like the pinball Ninja, mwsmith, Andy_B, and viperrwk, provided so much great info to help me get this bad boy up and playing like it should.
Turns out it had some bad IC chips that I would have never tracked down on my own.
Thanks again to everyone.

IMG_1456.JPG
#189 5 years ago

Still have a couple of questions for all of the Firepower owners.

1. My Game has white lane guides at the top center two spots. Most photos online show red. Which is how the game shipped?

2. My game has switches behind the stand up targets that can never be hit. Were all games shipped with these switches installed for no reason, since there are no drop targets?

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Thanks to the help of so many Pinside members my Firepower is up and running.
So many people like the pinball Ninja, mwsmith, Andy_B, and viperrwk, provided so much great info to help me get this bad boy up and playing like it should.
Turns out it had some bad IC chips that I would have never tracked down on my own.
Thanks again to everyone.

Great success story!
Thinking about generosity of so many Pinsiders is heart-warming...
-mof

#191 5 years ago

Arcade;

Most games didn't even have the slot in the playfield for those switches. I've heard of some having the wiring, which is also quite uncommon, but never heard of one having the switches fitted by the factory. You probably have a very early production machine, perhaps even a sample game?

#192 5 years ago

Yes, my switches are installed and even wired up.
But I have yet to test them to see if they score as I put the entire game back together after shopping it.
I will check on that later.

#193 5 years ago

Ok. Just got home from work and decided to put the switches to the test.
Yep, They both score 50 points each.
Guess I might really have something special here.
I took photos of the top side and the underside. Everything seems factory fresh to me.
I looked all over the game for a production date but have no idea where System 6 games have one or if they even do.
Here are the photos for all you Firepower owners.

IMG_1462.JPG IMG_1463.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1465.JPG
#194 5 years ago

I do believe the lanes are suppose to be red.

#195 5 years ago

Looks like you got a early production machine. What's the serial number? Most are stamped on front cabinet under the coin door. Almost looks like it may have had drops and then someone changed it over. I see extra screw holes in the area.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from mwsmith:

Looks like you got a early production machine. What's the serial number? Most are stamped on front cabinet under the coin door. Almost looks like it may have had drops and then someone changed it over. I see extra screw holes in the area.

I think so as well. I had not even noticed the extra screw holes until you pointed them out.
My serial number is 407233.
I actually already have one drop target set from a Hot Tip.
Just need to find one more and I think I may be able to convert it back.

#197 5 years ago

Heading out to my first ever PAPA tournament.
I will get back to the Firepower when I return next week.

2 weeks later
#198 5 years ago

new member to the club here!

#199 5 years ago

Arcade, the extra holes are from the incorrect replacement target on that end. All 3 should be screwed in to the same side, one of yours is backwards. I bet the repair guy didn't have the correct target with him and made do with a back mount target as opposed to the correct front mount target.

Both my firepower came with red lane guides.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Arcade, the extra holes are from the incorrect replacement target on that end. All 3 should be screwed in to the same side, one of yours is backwards. I bet the repair guy didn't have the correct target with him and made do with a back mount target as opposed to the correct front mount target.
Both my firepower came with red lane guides.

Great catch.
I did not even notice that.

Sadly my Firepower decided not to boot up anymore when I got back from PAPA.
It was playing fine when I left. Now I just get the GI lights, no displays, and sometimes the game says Firepower when I turn it on.
Can't imagine what happened while it just sat there. lol.
I have now replaced all the edge connectors on the CPU, All the Scanbe sockets, and it has a new 40 pin interconnect. Even did all the Caps on the power board.
This thing should be good to go and it is now giving me a hard time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 3107 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 63.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside