IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 94.
#1901 6 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Does anyone have an old Firepower playfield from a swap they've done? Mirco has the original art for the playfield but would need an actual playfield for color and mechanical reference.

So they are going to examine a 35 year old pf and assume the colours are the same as the day it came out of the factory?

#1902 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

I replaced them temporarily with 2.5 instead of 1.25A (since I just need more 1.25s). The solenoids now work fine.

Do NOT do this. You should never overfuse a circuit especially one that is acting suspect like yours. This could cause permanent damage to your game. If you don't have the proper 1.25A fuse, you can temporarily use a lower rated one (like 1A) without risk. But a 2.5 A fuse is not safe to use here.

#1903 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

fuses had slightly melted and were bad

Do not hesitate to install the solenoid saver board. It will allow you to see the correct fuse break, and still play the game while the other 5 fuses work. I ended up putting a breaker on my lower-right pop fuse, since I can get 20-50 games out of mine before it pops again. Never found the cause yet. But I have a manageable situation for home use now.

-mof

#1904 6 years ago

I looked all over for this gate and couldn't find one. Marco recommended making your own. They sell a kit for about 10.00

#1905 6 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Do NOT do this. You should never overfuse a circuit especially one that is acting suspect like yours. This could cause permanent damage to your game. If you don't have the proper 1.25A fuse, you can temporarily use a lower rated one (like 1A) without risk. But a 2.5 A fuse is not safe to use here.

I understand the risk, I've got new 1.25s on the way. I'm just trying to figure out what the issue is...overfiring of the pops? That's about all I can figure; nothing else has changed.

#1906 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Do not hesitate to install the solenoid saver board. It will allow you to see the correct fuse break, and still play the game while the other 5 fuses work. I ended up putting a breaker on my lower-right pop fuse, since I can get 20-50 games out of mine before it pops again. Never found the cause yet. But I have a manageable situation for home use now.
-mof

Yes, the board is a great thing. I would have likely overheated part of the control board otherwise. I installed it as a kit a while back. Best thing ever. I just wonder if in following vid's guide to make the pops ultra sensitive, it causes them to fire so rapidly that it is like the solenoid circuit being held closed constantly.

#1907 6 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

I just recently started working on a Firepower II but one gate is missing (pictured below) any idea of where can I find one? I believe this type of gate is also used on another game (space mission?) Marco doesn't have it

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

O.K. Marco has an #12-6505 wire gate that is a "like" part. Use this "like" part to make a "real"
part that fits your Fire Power II. Use your reference photos.

#1908 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

O.K. Marco has an #12-6505 wire gate that is a "like" part. Use this "like" part to make a "real"
part that fits your Fire Power II. Use your reference photos.

Thanks for the reference, but also I need the (gate) bracket, Marco seems to have a few but without seen their length is hard to pick one that can reach both posts. Ugh...

~ja

#1909 6 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

but without seen their length

Do you need some measurements for this? There is an FP2 that we play at my league. I can get actual dimensions if you need them. Just let me know.

#1910 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Do you need some measurements for this? There is an FP2 that we play at my league. I can get actual dimensions if you need them. Just let me know.

Thanks, but I do have one, the problem is that Marco's listing of available gates's brackets doesn't have measurements, so of all the ones they list (and are available) I don't know which one ti get.

Thanks for your help!

~ja

#1911 6 years ago

I’m seriously considering trading my firepower. I think it’s just cursed. Can’t even tell you how many times I’ve repaired the boards and they keep finding new ways to fail.

That and I really should have a Bally machine here for all the Bally stuff I’ve been selling. My only problem...... I currently only have a sedan to drive.

#1912 6 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I’m seriously considering trading my firepower. I think it’s just cursed. Can’t even tell you how many times I’ve repaired the boards and they keep finding new ways to fail.
That and I really should have a Bally machine here for all the Bally stuff I’ve been selling. My only problem...... I currently only have a sedan to drive.

I am starting to think the same... I've had the boards gone through. Re-did a connector tonight... put it on free play & the balls won't kick up a game won't start. Uhg!!

#1913 6 years ago

Ideas as to what is wrong?

#1914 6 years ago

Does anyone have an old Firepower playfield from a swap they've done? Mirco has the original art for the playfield but would need an actual playfield for color and mechanical reference.

I have one but not sure if it would be good enough for what they need.

-Steve

#1915 6 years ago

As a former Firepower owner i'm glad to see we have access to backglass again with mirroring. The reject ones posted here are vastly better then the one i had on mine. When i get another machine i'd be happy with these flawed ones. My guess is i wouldn't be the only one in this camp but i understand the desire for 100% no flaw one. They also would great wall hangers.

#1916 6 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

Thanks for the reference, but also I need the (gate) bracket, Marco seems to have a few but without seen their length is hard to pick one that can reach both posts. Ugh...

~ja

O.K. I think it is Williams part # 01-3206-1. Marco does not have it....
From picture ref. top round end is 1/2" across | mid is 2" across | bottom end is 7/8" across.
You are going to have to fabricate the part. Hole Dia. .062
Use the top gate bracket as ref. to make the bends, holes, etc.
Note: UP DATE part is used on:
Game #487 Tri-Zone
Game #489 Time Warp
Game #495 Blackout
Game #499 Algar

#1917 6 years ago

Help please. My FPII sound sometimes works fine and other times it’s just all wrong with some sounds correct and others weird sounding. Also the background drone will not play at all, and other times starts up and plays as soon as I turn on the machine or keeps playing at the end of a game. Should I remove and reseat the sound chip? Thanks.

#1918 6 years ago

oops error

#1919 6 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I am starting to think the same... I've had the boards gone through. Re-did a connector tonight... put it on free play & the balls won't kick up a game won't start. Uhg!!

UPDATE - I found a bad 2.5 amp fuse... switched it & now I'm a pinball fan again !!

#1920 6 years ago

Most of this was posted on rgp ages ago...but bought my first Firepower in 2000, non-working, in an operator's storage unit bulk deal (along with an inop Time Warp and a bunch of classic vids & parts) - decent playfield and cabinet, typical crackled backglass. Spent some time getting it working, bought an "NOS" backglass for it that turned out to be a repro (the original ones with the thinner glass and wrong color/opacity inks that had hot spots from the GI lighting). Really fell in love with the game though. Spent the next few years upgrading/switching pieces around as I'd owned several more examples of the title, including one I bought at auction that looked like it had been in a fire, literally.

Around 2004 I picked up the best original example of one I'd ever seen, and still own it. Great cabinet (although it's got a few very minor touch-ups), very nice playfield, and even a great original backglass.

It's an early production game with some hints of "prototype" features; it has the cutouts behind the middle standup target banks for the extra leaf switch that would have been utilized if the game had shipped with drop targets (prototype design), dimples in the underside for drop target mech mounting screws as well. The extra leaf switches are wired. Had the target bank plastics without the blue border at the leading edge, which was added later when the design was changed to standup targets; I took those off and set them aside for regular plastics with the blue edge as they cover the targets better.

Got tired of the constant hassles with the ball trough so I converted it to microswitches. No more trough problems! If I recall, I used a spare trough plate from a T2, and some other misc. spare parts. Also converted the flippers to modern WPC style baseplate/bushing/coil stop design.

After rolling the score over a few too many times I decided it was time to do the 7 digit conversion. Installed a level 7 MPU, display controller board, and displays - and burned a set of Oliver Kaegi's excellent custom game ROMs, giving the game 7 digit scoring and the multiball award/skill shot enhancements.

Richard

fp7digit1 (resized).jpgfp7digit1 (resized).jpg

fp7digit2 (resized).jpgfp7digit2 (resized).jpg

fp7digit3 (resized).jpgfp7digit3 (resized).jpg

fptrgh02 (resized).jpgfptrgh02 (resized).jpg

fp_sw_02 (resized).jpgfp_sw_02 (resized).jpg

fp_sw_01 (resized).jpgfp_sw_01 (resized).jpg

#1921 6 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

Got tired of the constant hassles with the ball trough so I converted it to microswitches

This seems like a great idea. I will have to consider doing this. Can you post more detailed pictures?

#1922 6 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Help please. My FPII sound sometimes works fine and other times it’s just all wrong with some sounds correct and others weird sounding. Also the background drone will not play at all, and other times starts up and plays as soon as I turn on the machine or keeps playing at the end of a game. Should I remove and reseat the sound chip? Thanks.

My FFII has done this a couple of times. The first time I replaced the sound board with a used one on eBay and it fixed the problem. Now it's doing it again. So I unplugged the connections to the sound board and plugged them back in. This worked temporarily and started up again. Next, I'll be checking the connections. I think something is not seating properly or bad connection.

#1923 6 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

My FFII has done this a couple of times. The first time I replaced the sound board with a used one on eBay and it fixed the problem. Now it's doing it again. So I unplugged the connections to the sound board and plugged them back in. This worked temporarily and started up again. Next, I'll be checking the connections. I think something is not seating properly or bad connection.

Okay thanks. My guess too. A few of the boards in the back were missing mounting screws and I’ve replaced those, it maybe bent or twisted something slight enlight to cause a flaky connection.

#1924 6 years ago

If anyone is interested in Mirco making Firepower playfields, please chime in here -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-which-new-mirco-repro-playfield-titles-wanted-for-2018

CPR will not be rerunning the title in the very distant foreseeable future from what they told me.

#1925 6 years ago

Joined the Firepower club a few days ago. The bottom of my cabinet is soft and curling on the outside and really soft on the bottom inside. Anyway to make this better or will I be making a new cabinet in the spring?

#1926 6 years ago

If anyone is interested in Mirco making Firepower playfields, please chime in here -
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-which-new-mirco-repro-playfield-titles-wanted-for-2018
CPR will not be rerunning the title in the very distant foreseeable future from what they told me.

I wonder why they won't re-run it? It's like the 5th most common production game and people are constantly clamoring for playfields. I don't get that at all.

#1927 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I wonder why they won't re-run it? It's like the 5th most common production game and people are constantly clamoring for playfields. I don't get that at all.

Too many other projects ahead of it apparently.

#1928 6 years ago

Too many other projects ahead of it apparently.

I guess I get it, but even with their "measuring interest" section... seems like they'd offer it up.

#1929 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I wonder why they won't re-run it?

I believe Outside Edge will be releasing a hardtop. At $300 or so, that's half the price of a CPR playfield and it won't be 10 years before it comes to market. It looks like a viable option. I will let you know how my Black Knight turns out...

#1930 6 years ago

I supplied the Cruze scan of a NOS Firepower pf for the CPR project. They ran 150 boards and they didn't sell out right away. Then there were issues with the hot dog inserts. Getting inserts is a big issue. The plastic companies laugh at you for 1000 pieces. I kinda get why they don't rerun them.

#1931 6 years ago

Mirco says he can do small runs. He also has the original art. Hopefully the hot dog inserts aren't a deal breaker.

#1932 6 years ago

Mirco says he can do small runs. He also has the original art. Hopefully the hot dog inserts aren't a deal breaker.

One reason I kept mine in the playfield when I restored it.

#1933 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

This seems like a great idea. I will have to consider doing this. Can you post more detailed pictures?

It's actually crazy easy. Just get a trough plate and ball 1 switch (really just a generic submicro with long flat lever) from a newer 3 ball Williams game. Newer games are microswitch. The trough plate itself will just have 2 switches, as the 3rd, which is a submicro with the flat lever, mounts separately right to the playfield and still uses the trip wire from the old leaf switch. It's been years, but if I recall, a couple of the original trough plate holes got re-used which helps position the newer plate.

I took a couple fresh pics and have uploaded them in as high of resolution as the forum will let me, so hopefully that helps.

This old Williams document hosted on IPDB for retrofitting a microswitch trough plate may help, too. I don't recall having seen it before I did my mod, but it's probably the same exact setup: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/310/bkmicroswitchkit.pdf

Richard

fptrough1 (resized).jpgfptrough1 (resized).jpg

fptrough2 (resized).jpgfptrough2 (resized).jpg

#1934 6 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

I supplied the Cruze scan of a NOS Firepower pf for the CPR project. They ran 150 boards and they didn't sell out right away. Then there were issues with the hot dog inserts. Getting inserts is a big issue. The plastic companies laugh at you for 1000 pieces. I kinda get why they don't rerun them.

As the hot dog inserts are essentially just cut pieces of 1/4" red/blue acrylic or polycarbonate, what is to keep someone from cutting a small number out of sheet stock? e.g.

https://www.estreetplastics.com/1-4-transparent-blue-plexiglass-acrylic-sheets-s/66.htm

It would seem that for the cost of a large sheet and a few hours on a laser cutter, they could be replicated in some usable form. Or am I missing something?

#1935 6 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

As the hot dog inserts are essentially just cut pieces of 1/4" red/blue acrylic or polycarbonate, what is to keep someone from cutting a small number out of sheet stock? e.g.
https://www.estreetplastics.com/1-4-transparent-blue-plexiglass-acrylic-sheets-s/66.htm
It would seem that for the cost of a large sheet and a few hours on a laser cutter, they could be replicated in some usable form. Or am I missing something?

They are 3D shapes, just like all the other inserts. Not plain flat plastic. If they were flat, they would warp far easier. The lip around the edge also facilitates its mounting into the beveled hole in the playfield.

Richard

#1936 6 years ago

Both sets in my 2 playfields are just flat 1/4". Much thicker plastic than the thinner 3D inserts elsewhere. Is this not true of all? Wouldn't shock me if I got the 2 oddballs. They do have injection molding indents, but definitely not 3D.

#1937 6 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Both sets in my 2 playfields are just flat 1/4". Much thicker plastic than the thinner 3D inserts elsewhere. Is this not true of all? Wouldn't shock me if I got the 2 oddballs. They do have injection molding indents, but definitely not 3D.

Interesting! All my previous FP's are long gone but the one I have now being the very early production model, I dunno if it would do me any good to pop it open again and look (just had the pf up yesterday for those trough pics.) It may have the very same flat hot dog inserts you speak of. I could have sworn they were like all other regular inserts (including hot dogs on newer games) but I've got doubts now, since your post.

Another issue is that the repros generally use mostly jeweled inserts, don't they, since that's what is available? They look nice but they're far from authentic for a game from that era.

Richard

#1938 6 years ago

They look nice but they're far from authentic for a game from that era.
Richard

Absolutely. That's why I did everything I could when restoring mine to keep the inserts I had. I only had to replace three circular ones. Didn't want to go the jeweled route unless I had to. Even now there are those microcracks within my hot dog ones, but at least they are secured with epoxy, under clear, and stable.

#1939 6 years ago

Interesting! All my previous FP's are long gone but the one I have now being the very early production model, I dunno if it would do me any good to pop it open again and look (just had the pf up yesterday for those trough pics.) It may have the very same flat hot dog inserts you speak of. I could have sworn they were like all other regular inserts (including hot dogs on newer games) but I've got doubts now, since your post.
Another issue is that the repros generally use mostly jeweled inserts, don't they, since that's what is available? They look nice but they're far from authentic for a game from that era.
Richard

That's actually why I am going to jeweled: the prototype images were jeweled inserts I believe!

#1940 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

the prototype images were jeweled inserts I believe!

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Firepower sample games have plain inserts.
Jeweled insert did not appear til Black Knight.
Starburst insert did not appear til Pharaoh.
Firepower with starburst inserts only happened because of stock rerun in the mid 1980's.
The company that supplied Williams with their plastic parts went out of business.
That is why you do not see jeweled insert except only on Black Knight.
William's had a slightly different ribbed post design than Bally's ribbed post.
William's ball guides had a "Star" formation on top.
Today only the skinny "diamond" shape image is available.
Sometimes Wico would get a subcontract to supply Bally or Stern or Williams with some of their
re-pro parts.

#1941 6 years ago

BK had some really unusual jeweled inserts, too. I liked 'em.

FWIW my Solar Fire is a mix of jeweled and smooth; the opaque white inserts in the bonus count are old school style smooth. The playfields were formerly NOS but considering the extremely low production number, I don't think there was any re-run of those.

Bringing this back on-topic for Firepower, curiosity got the best of me and I pulled glass to lift the playfield and check the hot dog inserts. They are indeed flat, and thick, as setzkor mentioned. Not as thick as a regular insert is when you include the "side skirt", as the hole in the playfield isn't as deep when you compare it to the inserts around it.

Richard

#1942 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Firepower sample games have plain inserts.
Jeweled insert did not appear til Black Knight.
Starburst insert did not appear til Pharaoh.
Firepower with starburst inserts only happened because of stock rerun in the mid 1980's.
The company that supplied Williams with their plastic parts went out of business.
That is why you do not see jeweled insert except only on Black Knight.
William's had a slightly different ribbed post design than Bally's ribbed post.
William's ball guides had a "Star" formation on top.
Today only the skinny "diamond" shape image is available.
Sometimes Wico would get a subcontract to supply Bally or Stern or Williams with some of their
re-pro parts.

sorry

#1943 6 years ago

The guy in Germany has made Funhouse playfield and Funhouse playfield has a "hotdog" insert.
So it would seem that there would be no problems of making the Firepower playfield.

#1944 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The guy in Germany has made Funhouse playfield and Funhouse playfield has a "hotdog" insert.
So it would seem that there would be no problems of making the Firepower playfield.

Maybe. Who knows what their supply of that insert consists of? Plus that's red; Firepower also has a blue one. If they're using up old stock...that's one thing. If they're having them made new, that's another subject entirely. Now as setzkor mentioned though the insert is flat plastic so theoretically it should be much easier to have these made than traditional inserts.

Richard

#1945 6 years ago

IIRC, CPR had a mold made for the hot-dog inserts when they did Space Shuttle, didn't they?

#1946 6 years ago

The NOS Firepower playfield that I had scanned had the jeweled inserts. I purchased it from a Bally distributor in 1980.

#1947 6 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

The NOS Firepower playfield that I had scanned had the jeweled inserts. I purchased it from a Bally distributor in 1980.

Man don't tell that other guy sheesh

#1948 6 years ago

Got my new PPS backless in today...I am really impressed with the quality! The thing beats the pants off of what I had (I think anything would). It is very nice, the mirroring is excellent, and the colors look great when lit up. I need to get some more white bulbs (the previous owner threw some blues in there in a few sockets, I'm not sure why), but so far it is great. I have a few pictures of my new and old.

Old:
IMG_3977 (resized).JPGIMG_3977 (resized).JPG

New:
IMG_3983 (resized).JPGIMG_3983 (resized).JPG

Side by side:
IMG_3979 (resized).JPGIMG_3979 (resized).JPG

Up close:
IMG_3980 (resized).JPGIMG_3980 (resized).JPG

#1949 6 years ago

A bit more help please FPII owners. The bulb under MATCH in my back box is always on during attract mode. As such the paint on the back glass has disintegrated over the years. Is this how it’s meant to be? Also I found a couple of stickers in the bottom of the cabinet when I bought the game and I want to stick them back whence they came. Any ideas where?

ABA96EE9-A8E4-4524-B368-905CD3D4A437 (resized).jpegABA96EE9-A8E4-4524-B368-905CD3D4A437 (resized).jpeg

103B3DDF-F290-4E2F-9436-3876BF9FE543 (resized).jpeg103B3DDF-F290-4E2F-9436-3876BF9FE543 (resized).jpeg

#1950 6 years ago

Sounds like La_Porta in the post above is happy with the replacement glass from Planetary Pinball. Has anyone else bought one of these? If so have you also been happy with it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Tools
Pincoder Store

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/39?hl=uncle_jose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.